Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Double Storey Renovation, My turn to share experience :)

views

nescafe86
post May 31 2019, 12:48 PM

19 posts

what difference of using red brick and white brick? I only know red is more expensive.
iluvcalculus
post May 31 2019, 02:16 PM

46 posts

A lof of people overlook this but I think this is necessary before you moved in. Take some time to choose things that you like and bargain so not to make hasty purchase which you might regret later.

1. Grill
This one really depends on yourself. Some family decide not to use grill because it will make the house looks not pretty, but they will normally having CCTV and alarm (or have dogs). Worrying about your safety everyday is stressful and will impact your personal health in long run.

2. Lights
Can buy online e.g Taobao, they have nice design with great price and the product is really similar. Delivery can take quite some time. From my previous experience, I took my time to choose which light, brightness and where it will be attached to like living room, bedroom, etc. It is the house that I will see everyday so at least I want sometime that is not giving me eyesore, lol. Houses Lightings in Puchong having great bargain and a lot of people going there to have bulk purchase (I did too last time), be prepare for queue and squeeze with others there (you've been warned).

3. Curtain / blinds
I have seen a lot of houses in my area that making poor decision for this thing. Some houses using cardbox from electronic purchase, or just plain cloth/paper/newspaper, some even don't have curtain on their master bedroom. I have no idea how they even sleep or having privacy, not to say security issue too because everyone can see what you have inside your house. It is not cheap especially if you want to have specific measurement. You can go to Nilai if you want to have bargain. Buy the curtain railing too if your house not come with it. You can buy some window sticker in Daiso for small window (usually on top of front door/back door) if you have, or for your kitchen window to avoid water splash.

Some advise, you can look at your place that you currently stay and see what is not available in your new house, list it down and prioritize it.
TSadrian0229
post May 31 2019, 11:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

QUOTE(iluvcalculus @ May 31 2019, 02:16 PM)
A lof of people overlook this but I think this is necessary before you moved in. Take some time to choose things that you like and bargain so not to make hasty purchase which you might regret later.

1. Grill
This one really depends on yourself. Some family decide not to use grill because it will make the house looks not pretty, but they will normally having CCTV and alarm (or have dogs). Worrying about your safety everyday is stressful and will impact your personal health in long run.

2. Lights
Can buy online e.g Taobao, they have nice design with great price and the product is really similar. Delivery can take quite some time. From my previous experience, I took my time to choose which light, brightness and where it will be attached to like living room, bedroom, etc. It is the house that I will see everyday so at least I want sometime that is not giving me eyesore, lol. Houses Lightings in Puchong having great bargain and a lot of people going there to have bulk purchase (I did too last time), be prepare for queue and squeeze with others there (you've been warned).

3. Curtain / blinds
I have seen a lot of houses in my area that making poor decision for this thing. Some houses using cardbox from electronic purchase, or just plain cloth/paper/newspaper, some even don't have curtain on their master bedroom. I have no idea how they even sleep or having privacy, not to say security issue too because everyone can see what you have inside your house. It is not cheap especially if you want to have specific measurement. You can go to Nilai if you want to have bargain. Buy the curtain railing too if your house not come with it. You can buy some window sticker in Daiso for small window (usually on top of front door/back door) if you have, or for your kitchen window to avoid water splash.

Some advise, you can look at your place that you currently stay and see what is not available in your new house, list it down and prioritize it.
1. Yea...despite our hse is G&G, but is still kinda worry my family. I asked around my neighbour and so far they claim the security here is quite good. But still my family prefer to have grill so that it less worry. already quoted for powder quoted for grill. smile.gif CCTV and alarm just waiting to install..hehe

2. i use all spotlight in my hse. so is settle for me. 3k color + 7w. almost 100 bulbs i got dy...

3. I know nilai there got 1 very famous curtain. this one i bought dy too from Curtain Palace. used them before n they r good.

In fact, still think is still in dilemma.
a) Should i chg my poly tank to ss tank? u know la ppl said poly dirty this n that...is just a mindset for me but family feels wanted to change it to ss hmm.gif
b) Kitchen - to use 4g glass door or nyatoh wood with wainscoting design...4G easy to maintain but family prefer nyatoh wood with wainscoting. reason given bcz like english style sweat.gif

Thanks for the advice. hope you will follow my progress and notify me if anything not right

cheers.gif
phoenixxx
post Jun 1 2019, 12:03 AM

Sesquipedalian hittin' the quasihemdemisemiquaver
1,232 posts

Congrats! The progress seems remarkably fast. Just a couple of things off the top of my head, hope they help you in some way.
These are bits and pieces I picked up along the way and I'm by no means an expert.

1. Seems like your neighbor is also doing the exact extension. What about the other side? Do keep pictures of not only your property but the before & after of your neighbors. This will be useful if you get into any legal trouble with them. Do try to be on good terms with them though. smile.gif

2. If you are building a new bathroom, do ensure that the floor is sufficiently sloped and water does not pool. And don't skimp on waterproofing. Ask your contractor to do a ponding test.

3. Will you be installing ventilating fans? They should vent outside your house, not into the ceiling space.

4. Is your manhole easily accessible?

5. Since you like spotlights, do you want to consider making several of them dimmable? e.g. in the TV den, or in the bedroom. smile.gif

6. For air conditioning: minimize the distance between the compressor and indoor blower unit.

7. Do allow high-powered appliances to be on their own circuit rather than looped. On a similar note, invest in better quality fusebox components (the MCB, ELCB? etc - not too well-versed). Similar note #2 - ensure grounding is proper or else your power will be tripping everytime it rains.

8. You may want to work with your electrician on the placement and order of switches, to avoid weird / unnatural placement. Certain areas e.g. staircase, bedsides switches (if any) may require 2 (or maybe 3)-way switches.

9. Also, do consider installing timer switches.

10. Any solar panel involved? Which areas or basins do you want hot water to be available? Your plumber will need to know.
10a. Do check if the water pressure is sufficient especially upstairs, otherwise you may want to consult your plumber. Otherwise, can consider installing a water pump.
10b. Outdoor water filters (if any) - got space to put? Indoor water filters (if any) - requires power? May want to extend a hidden power outlet nearby.

11. Will you be installing high cabinets, pendant lighting, chandeliers etc? Do ensure they are out of reach from your fan blades (especially when the cabinet doors are ajar) smile.gif

12. Polytank - may be able to be placed / hidden inside the ceilings, which saves you from having to build a concrete slab above your second floor (if placing on the roof) and presenting more water leaking problems in the future. Not too sure about the cleanliness... our parents survived just fine on decades-old polytank water right tongue.gif anyway I don't know. I went for SS.

13. Are you on 3-phase? Do try to balance the load across the 3 phases. Your electrician will know how to do this.

14. Council approval and the assessment of a qualified architect & engineer is also something I would recommend. A few forumers have expressed the possibility of cracks forming in the medium term. Now would be the time to query your contractor and/or architect. I think my extension may also face this problem.... as the footing looks similar. wacko.gif (My renovation was a 2-year, unending nightmare)

15. Do note that to complete your renovation from a legal standpoint, you need to have the CCC issued by the council after all works are done. I hope the price you paid includes this.

Hope it helps.

This post has been edited by phoenixxx: Jun 1 2019, 12:38 AM
halcyon27
post Jun 1 2019, 02:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

QUOTE(adrian0229 @ May 29 2019, 10:14 PM)
user posted image
Toilet and kitchen

An idea for you. This part usually very dark after everything is covered by roofing. The top sandbrick segment can actually be substituted with a row of frosted or clear glassblocks just to let ambient light filter in and brighten up the corridor.
TSadrian0229
post Jun 17 2019, 03:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

Yoo hooo....some updates after few weeks

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Back done plaster. door installed.

user posted image

Window frame installed

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

underneath staircase done!

TSadrian0229
post Jun 17 2019, 03:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Front part extension done as well. plaster already.

user posted image

Main door. Doing plastering today
nakedtruth
post Jun 27 2019, 09:11 AM

Enthusiast
931 posts

Hi,

Can pm me the contractor’s contact and the costs of extension? Thank you.
Zaire.Ver
post Jun 27 2019, 09:16 AM

Getting Started
245 posts

what is ur house size and ur budget for this renovation?
TSadrian0229
post Jun 28 2019, 01:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

- deleted -

This post has been edited by adrian0229: Jun 28 2019, 01:41 PM
TSadrian0229
post Jun 28 2019, 01:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

QUOTE(Zaire.Ver @ Jun 27 2019, 09:16 AM)
what is ur house size and ur budget for this renovation?
house is 20 x 60 or 65....forget. kinda small

budget for reno only is RM100k
chae
post Jun 30 2019, 08:57 AM

Getting Started
103 posts

Did you move toilet? or any plumbing included? looking to do house extension
zemega
post Jun 30 2019, 09:14 AM

On my way
698 posts

QUOTE(adrian0229 @ May 31 2019, 11:16 PM)
3. I know nilai there got 1 very famous curtain. this one i bought dy too from Curtain Palace. used them before n they r good.
You can always go to textile shop like Nagoya and buy the fabrics yourself. A lot more choices, you can even mix and match. You can also tailor each curtain to each room. Normal tailor shop, usually those that do baju raya can do curtains as well actually. You got to decide on the type of railing or how you want to hang it first.

Sometimes to be comfortable or elegant, it's not about expensive items, but items that are custom made for your own place and your liking.

If you get something you don't like, you're going to stare at it for years and feels irritated. It's simple things like this that cause unhappiness and cracks in relationship.
TSadrian0229
post Jul 3 2019, 04:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

QUOTE(chae @ Jun 30 2019, 08:57 AM)
Did you move toilet? or any plumbing included? looking to do house extension
Sorry late reply. Yea, got relocate the toilet.

QUOTE(zemega @ Jun 30 2019, 09:14 AM)
You can always go to textile shop like Nagoya and buy the fabrics yourself. A lot more choices, you can even mix and match. You can also tailor each curtain to each room. Normal tailor shop, usually those that do baju raya can do curtains as well actually. You got to decide on the type of railing or how you want to hang it first.

Sometimes to be comfortable or elegant, it's not about expensive items, but items that are custom made for your own place and your liking.

If you get something you don't like, you're going to stare at it for years and feels irritated. It's simple things like this that cause unhappiness and cracks in relationship.
Thanks for ur valuable advice. It certainly help alot

TSadrian0229
post Jul 3 2019, 04:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

Wireman came since 12 june. Till now not even complete 1 floor. Damn regret i take him. Somemore is recommended by LYN member...but not to blame lyn member.

Now sourcing for another wireman to take over n restart everything.

Waste time, waste energy, and waste money..holy shit
nexona88
post Jul 5 2019, 08:55 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,806 posts

QUOTE(adrian0229 @ Jun 17 2019, 03:40 PM)
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Front part extension done as well. plaster already.

user posted image

Main door. Doing plastering today
Huh..
Why suddenly change red brick to cement type???
Should have stick to red brick only...
TSadrian0229
post Aug 6 2019, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

It has been a while din upload. busy with works n reno.

user posted image

All toilet piping done.

user posted image

user posted image

Wiring done after screwed up with first electrician recommended by LYN member bangwall.gif

user posted image

Kitchen tiling done

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Plaster ceiling cover up dy
TSadrian0229
post Aug 6 2019, 11:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

user posted image
toilet waterproofing done

user posted image
light hole opened

user posted image
user posted image

Floor tiles. so in love with it wub.gif
altict
post Aug 6 2019, 02:29 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

90k for whole house renovation extend front and back + move toilet? then is very cheap
TSadrian0229
post Aug 6 2019, 03:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,913 posts

yup. is for extension n move toilet. Others not included.

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 AM