Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How to see whether need to change car battery, CCA

views

Valentino46
post May 14 2019, 05:46 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ May 14 2019, 04:04 PM)
Well I'm not saying you are wrong either. Early I quoted 12.5V and below is because as a safety precaution. But after reading some websites, some claims that anything 12.4V and below have to standby.

No one likes a sudden dead battery surprise.

This is because now my Axia, being just a small car with small engine, every morning I check the volts and its around 12.5.
And the starter sounded slower together with the dashboard light is kinda weak , but thankfully it still starts up.
but once warms up, the every subsequent start up it shows up around 12.8V.

Though it's like a early warning. 2.5years and 60K mileage I'm surprised the battery still holds up. Panasonic OEM battery.
But ill get it change soon.

I've done also load test as you mentioned , meaning I have to disable the Ecu and/or ignition coil at the fuse box.
Done that, so far it's showing around 10V but that's with a warmed up engine. Didn't try with a cold engine.
yea i guess if you want to avoid dead engine surprise you gotta change engine oil every 1000km to be safe
whatever you do some huge dose of common sense need to apply that's all i wanna say
6UE5T
post May 14 2019, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(GTA5 @ May 14 2019, 01:16 PM)
Is it safe to keep inside the car?
So far ok.

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ May 14 2019, 01:50 PM)
how long can the battery tahan if just keep in car? if fast discharge also no use unless u hardworking charge it often.
coz not often car battery die right
The user guide says need to recharge at least once every 3 months if not used.
bo093
post May 14 2019, 07:59 PM

During early morning, after car is off more than 6 hours.
Check the voltage 12.4v/12.5v you could start worrying.
But usually I pinjam my work place battery tester with load tester.

andrekua2
post May 14 2019, 11:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 14 2019, 03:41 PM)
It should the same for all cars. A fully charged battery will always be better than a weak battery no matter which car.
No.

I hate to say it but Korean cars wouldn't start at all with a low battery. It's almost like it's programmed into the circuit. If I only had one Korean car, then it could be my imagination, but both Sonata and Rio had the same symptom. With a healthy battery, it just crank with confidence. With a dying battery, it kinda choke a little during the crank and that's enough to let you know the battery is almost up.

Having said so, my last experience with Japanese cars is the 2006 Vios which would continue to crank even when it's low.

Just for reference. Try getting jump start help from a Korean car and you'll be surprised. My sister's old stupid kancil can jump start the sonata but not the other way around. That's the only thing I really hate about Korean cars.
kirakun
post May 15 2019, 08:57 AM

Casual

Probably just some self imposed regulation by the korean on their korean made cars.

My best guess is to protect the car's ecu and electronics as technically low batt may result 'unstable' current during cranking.

My Harrier on the other hand exhibit clear indication on when it is time to change the batt lol.

Good batt = single clear crank to start. Low batt = at least 2 cranks(noticeably weaker) to start.
Roman Catholic
post May 15 2019, 09:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kirakun @ May 15 2019, 08:57 AM)
Probably just some self imposed regulation by the korean on their korean made cars.

My best guess is to protect the car's ecu and electronics as technically low batt may result 'unstable' current during cranking.

My Harrier on the other hand exhibit clear indication on when it is time to change the batt lol.

Good batt = single clear crank to start. Low batt = at least 2 cranks(noticeably weaker) to start.
Spot on.

A weak battery is known to do some serious damages to ECU and other sensitive components for some car makes.

Wish all vehicles had a clear indicator like your Harrier's an early warning battery failure system. That would save lots of headaches for modern cars. LOL
abubin
post May 15 2019, 10:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Is the indicator on the maintenance free battery that shows battery status reliable and can be trusted?

Roman Catholic
post May 15 2019, 11:42 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(abubin @ May 15 2019, 10:43 AM)
Is the indicator on the maintenance free battery that shows battery status reliable and can be trusted?
Instead of making this coloured indicator on the MF battery, it would be really good if the car manufacturers had this on the display panel instead for early detection.
abubin
post May 15 2019, 06:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 15 2019, 11:42 AM)
Instead of making this coloured indicator on the MF battery, it would be really good if the car manufacturers had this on the display panel instead for early detection.
Isn't this feature already available for more expensive cars?
Roman Catholic
post May 15 2019, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(abubin @ May 15 2019, 06:40 PM)
Isn't this feature already available for more expensive cars?
Ya lor just found out today from a Harrier forummer. That's why if all car manufacturers can install this inside for all consumers at least nobody will be stranded with a weak & dying battery. This will give them time to plan their next purchase instead of being given whatever available battery is there.
SleeplessEyes
post May 15 2019, 07:34 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 15 2019, 11:42 AM)
Exora / Preve / Suprima has this warning feature whereby if the battery is low, it will show the word "LO". I know this doesn't sound helpful though. the chances of starting depends on luck. Still can jump start but need a really fat amp jumper cable (600A Above) to get it started and head to the nearest workshop.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: May 15 2019, 07:41 PM
Roman Catholic
post May 15 2019, 07:45 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ May 15 2019, 07:34 PM)
Exora / Preve / Suprima has this warning feature but by the time it displays "LO" on the dashboard, it seems the chances of starting depends on luck. Still can jump start but need a really fat amp jumper cable (600A Above) to get it started and head to the nearest workshop.
Never knew that Proton would have this. 👍🏻 Seriously I've haven't been to their showroom for ages except the X70 as I wanted to find out about something.

I've read somewhere when a battery degrades up to 50%, the rate of degradation thereafter is very fast already almost like going downhill, provided if I had understood it correctly. Maybe like what you have said, it depends on luck. LOL

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0760sec    2.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 11:03 PM