Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is the process for draining water out frm car

views

TSJustcallmeLarry
post May 9 2019, 08:16 PM, updated 5y ago

Regular
1,363 posts

Hi guys,i accidentally left a window down in my car and it rain the whole night so the inside bottom of my car got really wet. I send it to a mechanic yesterday. Just now my father told me when he pass the mechanic shop he saw they lift up my car on those things they used to service cars. Is this one of the steps needed?? Asking this question bcs i am a bit worried bcs i took the car to the mechanic that quoted me the cheapest price, scared he change my car parts bcs he know i am noob about car stuff. sweat.gif
eddievh
post May 9 2019, 08:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,060 posts

Use vacuum cleaner or manually use towel to dry up the water then park it under hot sun.
speedy3210
post May 9 2019, 08:46 PM

Casual
451 posts

you don't want to leave the water/moisture left pooling beneath the carpet for long. dry it up immediately as rust might develop beneath the carpet; the floorpan.

my wira was easy deal. just take out the side step panels (might break a clip or 2) and kickpanel covers, hold (kopek) the carpet open a bit and ventilate with fan. better result if do during hot afternoon.

ymmv, as modern cars might make the side step panels harder to take out and linked to more plastic panels.
TSJustcallmeLarry
post May 9 2019, 10:44 PM

Regular
1,363 posts

QUOTE(eddievh @ May 9 2019, 08:26 PM)
Use vacuum cleaner or manually use towel to dry up the water then park it under hot sun.
QUOTE(speedy3210 @ May 9 2019, 08:46 PM)
you don't want to leave the water/moisture left pooling beneath the carpet for long. dry it up immediately as rust might develop beneath the carpet; the floorpan.

my wira was easy deal. just take out the side step panels (might break a clip or 2) and kickpanel covers, hold (kopek) the carpet open a bit and ventilate with fan. better result if do during hot afternoon.

ymmv, as modern cars might make the side step panels harder to take out and linked to more plastic panels.
I have already send it to a mechanic. Is it normal for them to lift the car up on those car service crane thing?
TDUEnthusiast
post May 9 2019, 11:03 PM

Critical thinking
Group Icon
Elite
10,015 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 9 2019, 10:44 PM)
I have already send it to a mechanic. Is it normal for them to lift the car up on those car service crane thing?
There are some rubber grommets on the bottom, that when removed expose fairly large holes that lead to the interior cabin. They might be draining some water through that

This post has been edited by TDUEnthusiast: May 9 2019, 11:04 PM
abubin
post May 10 2019, 10:30 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

There are no parts that is worth exchanging from bottom. Most of the expensive parts are in the engine. Also I have never heard of workshop changing parts because it is not worth the trouble and what are they going to do with your used car parts? It can only be sold at used car parts which is not good profit margin. If a shop does things like this they cannot survive.
unitron
post May 10 2019, 01:09 PM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 9 2019, 08:16 PM)
Hi guys,i accidentally left a window down in my car and it rain the whole night so the inside bottom of my car got really wet. I send it to a mechanic yesterday. Just now my father told me when he pass the mechanic shop he saw they lift up my car on those things they used to service cars. Is this one of the steps needed?? Asking this question bcs i am a bit worried bcs i took the car to the mechanic that quoted me the cheapest price, scared he change my car parts bcs he know i am noob about car stuff. sweat.gif
My guess is they removed the drain plugs under the carpet, then tilt the car to let the water drain out.
TSJustcallmeLarry
post May 10 2019, 01:46 PM

Regular
1,363 posts

QUOTE(TDUEnthusiast @ May 9 2019, 11:03 PM)
There are some rubber grommets on the bottom, that when removed expose fairly large holes that lead to the interior cabin. They might be draining some water through that
QUOTE(abubin @ May 10 2019, 10:30 AM)
There are no parts that is worth exchanging from bottom. Most of the expensive parts are in the engine. Also I have never heard of workshop changing parts because it is not worth the trouble and what are they going to do with your used car parts? It can only be sold at used car parts which is not good profit margin. If a shop does things like this they cannot survive.
QUOTE(unitron @ May 10 2019, 01:09 PM)
My guess is they removed the drain plugs under the carpet, then tilt the car to let the water drain out.
Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. notworthy.gif
Also 1 last question i didnt know i left the window down for 1 whole day, mean the car carpets was soak for maybe more then 24 hours. Would i have rust or odor problem now?
abubin
post May 10 2019, 02:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 10 2019, 01:46 PM)
Also 1 last question i didnt know i left the window down for 1 whole day, mean the car carpets was soak for maybe more then 24 hours. Would i have rust or odor problem now?
Depends on the workshop. They can take out the carpet and clean the whole area along with the carpet. That will reduce chances of rust and carpet smell. If you are worry then better sell off the car before condition becomes apparent. My friend sold his car after it was stuck in flood. I would do that too because the longer you keep the car the chances of issues will creep up. It's a risk you need to consider.
unitron
post May 10 2019, 04:17 PM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 10 2019, 01:46 PM)
rust most likely not if manage to dry all the water.... Odor problem also no if you manage to dry the carpet and cushions completely

Because yours is rain water and not flood water/longkang/sungai (dirty water)
jameslow
post May 11 2019, 08:53 AM

Getting Started
285 posts

From my experience way back 20+ years ago, I work as cleaner for a used car dealer, we usually remove the whole car fabrications, seats and carpet (not just the floor mat) to wash, last time cars won't be so complicated, we removed continental cars as well, and we can fabricate it nicely, very clean and odorless.

My advise is to remove the main carpet, I can tell you if the carpet is wet, it's very hard to make it dry entirely even we leave the car under the extreme hot sun for few days, because the carpet has several layers, the stubborn internal will not expose to sun at all, therefore if the water is absorbed, you have to remove and reverse it from car then put under sun light for at least a day.

If the wet part is at driver's part, at least remove that seat, pull up and reverse the carpet, leave it under hot sun, then it will effectively dry up all water.
TSJustcallmeLarry
post May 15 2019, 11:52 PM

Regular
1,363 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ May 10 2019, 02:31 PM)
Depends on the workshop. They can take out the carpet and clean the whole area along with the carpet. That will reduce chances of rust and carpet smell. If you are worry then better sell off the car before condition becomes apparent. My friend sold his car after it was stuck in flood. I would do that too because the longer you keep the car the chances of issues will creep up. It's a risk you need to consider.
QUOTE(unitron @ May 10 2019, 04:17 PM)
rust most likely not if manage to dry all the water.... Odor problem also no if you manage to dry the carpet and cushions completely

Because yours is rain water and not flood water/longkang/sungai (dirty water)
QUOTE(jameslow @ May 11 2019, 08:53 AM)
From my experience way back 20+ years ago, I work as cleaner for a used car dealer, we usually remove the whole car fabrications, seats and carpet (not just the floor mat) to wash, last time cars won't be so complicated, we removed continental cars as well, and we can fabricate it nicely, very clean and odorless.

My advise is to remove the main carpet, I can tell you if the carpet is wet, it's very hard to make it dry entirely even we leave the car under the extreme hot sun for few days, because the carpet has several layers, the stubborn internal will not expose to sun at all, therefore if the water is absorbed, you have to remove and reverse it from car then put under sun light for at least a day.

If the wet part is at driver's part, at least remove that seat, pull up and reverse the carpet, leave it under hot sun, then it will effectively dry up all water.
Thanks for the replies guys. Just got my car back. There is a very slight odor now. cry.gif
HippyTony
post May 16 2019, 08:18 AM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 15 2019, 11:52 PM)
Thanks for the replies guys. Just got my car back. There is a very slight odor now. cry.gif
That’s normal, get some coals put it into your car cabin, it helps to remove it. Baking soda also can use but too expensive.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:00 AM