Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

closed

views

RicoT
post Jun 12 2019, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

Voltage tells one story, and CCA tells another. Both are important.

Voltage can maintain high because the individual cells in the battery is not shorted by dendrites nor corroded. A low voltage means some of the plates were not connected, or shorted and not contributing to the output.

Cold crank ampere (CCA) shows how much electrons can be moved when needed. A badly worn battery cell can retain voltage but the amount of current generated reduced over time due to usage and recharge cycle. A large current will be drawn during engine start, if not enough current, starter won't crank.
Roman Catholic
post Jun 12 2019, 08:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(RicoT @ Jun 12 2019, 08:18 PM)
Voltage tells one story, and CCA tells another. Both are important.

Voltage can maintain high because the individual cells in the battery is not shorted by dendrites nor corroded. A low voltage means some of the plates were not connected, or shorted and not contributing to the output.

Cold crank ampere (CCA) shows how much electrons can be moved when needed. A badly worn battery cell can retain voltage but the amount of current generated reduced over time due to usage and recharge cycle. A large current will be drawn during engine start, if not enough current, starter won't crank.
Thanks mate, great explanation.
Roman Catholic
post Jun 12 2019, 09:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(Kitty_catts @ Jun 12 2019, 06:57 PM)
I experienced this before from different brand. Voltage is good, but the CCA is good as dead. Dont really know why but its after warranty period, so might as well just replace it.
That's the most logical move I guess.

Warranty Period : OVER
CCA : Tester says REPLACE BATTERY
Voltage : Good > 12.6V
Length of service : 18 months
Electrolytes level : Extremely low
Battery Indicator : Good (Complete contrast against the Midtronics Testers result)

Though this Hitachi ES Series is able to crank the car still as of yesterday, but I think it's foolhardy to continue to put in service. Since batteries rate of deterioration is extremely fast when it time to go, it's usually less than a week before it really dies off.

I was wondering with the extremely low levels of electrolytes inside the battery, can this also be a root cause for arching, the ignition that required cause the explosion 💥, since more items are now "exposed" inside the battery instead of being covered by electrolytes ?

Add to that, the existence of high voltage some more. Complete recipe for disaster waiting to happen ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jun 12 2019, 09:51 PM
SUSFenix98
post Jun 12 2019, 10:05 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

My brand new battery died, thought it was my car alternator, as I never drive it.... maybe once every few months. Turn out it was a bad batch of battery.... whaddayaaknow new battery under waranteeee.... ❤️ Now kinda okay... still doesn’t start if I didn’t start it for 3 months.
Roman Catholic
post Jun 14 2019, 09:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Jun 12 2019, 10:05 PM)
My brand new battery died, thought it was my car alternator, as I never drive it.... maybe once every few months. Turn out it was a bad batch of battery.... whaddayaaknow new battery under waranteeee.... ❤️ Now kinda okay... still doesn’t start if I didn’t start it for 3 months.
That period will get shorter and shorter and shorter and before you know it, it's time for a new battery.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jun 14 2019, 10:07 AM
ayamxxx
post Jun 14 2019, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,074 posts

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Jun 12 2019, 10:05 PM)
faced similar issue last time, the battery brand was Duracell (first time I heard and bought this) and come with 1 year warranty.
bad news is, the battery kong when i am outstation in Kemaman, need to purchase new battery.

bring the kong battery to the shop that i purchased on claim another new Duracell battery under warranty. give it to my friends as no one want to buy it from me.
IamAHuman
post Jun 14 2019, 11:29 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Jun 14 2019, 11:05 AM)
faced similar issue last time, the battery brand was Duracell (first time I heard and bought this) and come with 1 year warranty.
bad news is, the battery kong when i am outstation in Kemaman, need to purchase new battery.

bring the kong battery to the shop that i purchased on claim another new Duracell battery under warranty. give it to my friends as no one want to buy it from me.
if your battery kong in Kemaman, you can jump start the car and drive all the way back to KL to claim back the battery what.
Roman Catholic
post Jun 14 2019, 01:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jun 14 2019, 11:29 AM)
if your battery kong in Kemaman, you can jump start the car and drive all the way back to KL to claim back the battery what.
That is only possible, if there is sufficient power in the battery to allow one to make the return journey.

If there's insufficient power, the battery will most certainly die while you're even driving halfway on the road.

I told this to a good friend of mine, Cikgu Ali when he came to see me concerning his battery one night but he was skeptical. True enough his battery died while he was driving back and luckily the car behind didnt collided with his Viva.

Now he believes that battery can die and the car will certainly come to a halt even when the car is moving.

What we've learnt is a weak battery is no longer to be trusted. Period. I suspect ayamxxxx friends probably knew about this too but didn't tell ayamxxx only. 😂

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jun 14 2019, 01:18 PM
IamAHuman
post Jun 14 2019, 01:21 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 14 2019, 01:13 PM)
That is only possible, if there is sufficient power in the battery to allow one to make the return journey.

If there's insufficient power, the battery will most certainly die while you're even driving halfway on the road.

I told this to a good friend of mine, Cikgu Ali when he came to see me concerning his battery one night but he was skeptical. True enough his battery died while he was driving back and luckily the car behind didnt collided with his Viva.

Now he believes that battery can die and the car will certainly come to a halt even when the car is moving.

What we've learnt is a weak battery is no longer to be trusted. Period. I suspect ayamxxxx friends probably knew about this too but didn't tell ayamxxx only. 😂
now that's something new to me. Isn't the alternator suppose to supply all electrical to the vehicle as well as the battery? More so if Cikgu Ali drives a Viva which consumes super low power from the battery.
Roman Catholic
post Jun 14 2019, 01:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jun 14 2019, 01:21 PM)
now that's something new to me. Isn't the alternator suppose to supply all electrical to the vehicle as well as the battery? More so if Cikgu Ali drives a Viva which consumes super low power from the battery.
That's what I thought as that's what I've read and learn too. After all, everyone's been writing that way correct ?

I think that there's so much to learn from and we have to apply our experiences and must be in line with theory. When it contradicts theory, experiences teaches us something new and it would be stupid of me to ignore the experience that I've gained and continue blindly old school of thought.

I am sure if that happened to you and your friend, I will be equally stupid not to learn from your experience right ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jun 14 2019, 01:31 PM
ayamxxx
post Jun 14 2019, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,074 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jun 14 2019, 11:29 AM)
What if odw to KL, have to go toilet?
Hungry can drive through, but nature call cannot be underestimate. Haha
IamAHuman
post Jun 14 2019, 02:25 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Jun 14 2019, 02:06 PM)
What if odw to KL, have to go toilet?
Hungry can drive through, but nature call cannot be underestimate. Haha
Then jump start again lo... Insurance hotline number kan ada.. Haha
razuryza
post Jun 14 2019, 02:58 PM

\('o')/~fewwwiitttt~\("0")/
5,515 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jun 14 2019, 02:25 PM)
Then jump start again lo... Insurance hotline number kan ada.. Haha
correct. if cant jumpstart, always can towing back
Roman Catholic
post Jun 14 2019, 05:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(razuryza @ Jun 14 2019, 02:58 PM)
correct. if cant jumpstart, always can towing back
That shows how important it is to do thorough checks not only on the vehicle but including the State of Health of the battery before going on a long journey.

Happened to me before. On the way to Genting just imagine if the battery died halfway driving up ? Luckily we detoured to Jln Ipoh for some spare parts and just as we reached Jln Ipoh the radio went first, then the air-conditioner and just as we turn in to the shop from the main road, the car betul-betul died. Talk about luck.

6 Pages « < 4 5 6Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:01 PM