[ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nissan cars: what is your impression?

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 22 2019, 12:02 AM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://www.nst.com.my/node/489959/amp

...Tan Chong was studying the viability of bringing the Nissan Almera, Nissan Kicks and Nissan Sylphy to the Malaysian market.

If it materialises, it said Tan Chong might probably starting with the Almera, followed by Kicks and Sylphy from 2020 onwards.

“Its strategy to continue to prioritise profitability over sales volumes would influence the pricing and marketing strategies of the new models.

“It will be launching the Nissan Leaf EV in 2H19 but sales volume will likely be immaterial. The new X-trail facelift is seeing stiff competition from Proton X70 and sales could fall short of expectations.

It sold 5,873 units of the previous X-trail in 2018, about 20 per cent of total Nissan/Renault sales.”...

thesoothsayer
post May 22 2019, 09:43 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ May 13 2019, 01:40 PM)
Not really too problematic or major issues but not that good either especially compared to Toyota that I have also. Some examples:
- Coil plugs already misfiring when mileage only reach just over 50k km. Then after full set replacement, at just over 90k km, again the same problem from one of it. A bit annoying especially since this kind of electrical problem will happen suddenly and due to the stupid intake design, need to open intake just to test and replace them.
- Absorbers already leaking at around 30-40k km.
- Rear brake cylinder already leaked also before reaching 50k km.
- There's some seal in the firewall that already leaking a bit of water to inside the cabin. This has been for a long time.
- Alarm siren already kaput twice. Once replaced under warranty, second time no choice to replace my self last year.
- Aircon coil inside dashboard leaking in just 3 months ownership but this was covered under warranty. Still inconvenience to me.
- Fuel consumption is relatively poor at only 9-10km/ltr considering it's a low powered slow MPV, not sure the fuel is consumed for what! In contrast my son's much faster 1.6ltr 130hp Suzuki Swift driven much more aggressively and my 2.5ltr v6 200+hp Mark X can achieve better fuel consumption!
Kinda annoyed at my Sylphy, too.

After 1.5 months or so, power window died. Now less than 4 years/50k (I don't drive much recently), the radiator fan died and they want 1.6k to replace it.
There's also an occasional cracking sound from the front absorber area when going over humps even at very, very low speeds, but they claimed they can't find the cause.

After this experience and my wife's CR-V, I'm going back to P1/P2. At least they're cheaper, and I have a much lower expectation of them.
EmpireAnt
post May 23 2019, 08:53 AM

Getting Started
123 posts

the only car worthy Nissan is their sports car line.
kkkw80
post May 23 2019, 10:58 AM

Jacques
706 posts

Once owned a Nissan, Sylphy. Swear never ever again I'll buy another Nissan!
Kitty_catts
post May 23 2019, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(thesoothsayer @ May 22 2019, 09:43 PM)
Kinda annoyed at my Sylphy, too.

After 1.5 months or so, power window died. Now less than 4 years/50k (I don't drive much recently), the radiator fan died and they want 1.6k to replace it.
There's also an occasional cracking sound from the front absorber area when going over humps even at very, very low speeds, but they claimed they can't find the cause.

After this experience and my wife's CR-V, I'm going back to P1/P2. At least they're cheaper, and I have a much lower expectation of them.
I have that clack sound at absorber too.. wth.. the absorber is new,, about 2 months old only.
thesoothsayer
post May 23 2019, 06:08 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(Kitty_catts @ May 23 2019, 04:33 PM)
I have that clack sound at absorber too.. wth.. the absorber is new,, about 2 months old only.
Yeah, the sound started early but they kept claiming they can't find any problem. However, seems to have more or less gone away after 1.5+ years of using it. Rarely happens anymore. Not sure what the hell the problem is/was.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 24 2019, 08:39 AM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/r...ls-love-sedans#

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/05/n...ls-love-sedans/
The Truth about Cars

According to the above (first link) study commissioned by Nissan, Millennials are committed to saving the sedan in an era when crossovers have usurped much of the market. While much of the study revolves around asking people whether they’d consider purchasing a sedan in the future — something any smart shopper would say “yes” to — survey respondents also said there was very little difference in terms of customer satisfaction between crossovers and sedans.

That’s good news for any automaker that launched a bundle of new and refreshed sedans over the past few years. Can you think of one?

Any automotive study commissioned by a manufacturer is suspect, but there could be something to this. Previous studies that were less concerned with promoting an automaker’s own interests also indicated that Millennials are more apt to buy cars than older generations. But it may have more to do with circumstances than generational tastes.

As a group, Millennial tend to poorer than their parents were at the same stages of life and come loaded with debt. They are also far less likely to have children and more likely to live in cities — all of which makes owning a large crossover vehicle rather nonsensical.

However, Nissan seems to view this as a matter of personal preference, even going so far as to suggest “it’s not just avocado toast” that Millennials love. It’s a dated trope that’s been proven wrong in the past and it highlights just how superficial most takes on generational differences really are. It looks like Nissan’s fallen prey to this kind of thinking, leaving it correct in its assertion that younger shoppers like cars — but maybe for the wrong reasons.

In truth, there’s not much to glean from Nissan’s study. Announcing that 86 percent of 18-34 year-olds who don’t own a sedan would consider buying one (now or in the future) isn’t saying much when 81 percent of adults aged 35-50 indicated the same. The rest of the survey, which focused on consumer satisfaction and the importance of functionality between SUV/truck and sedan owners, showed no appreciable differences. 89 percent of sedan owners said they were just as happy as 88 percent of non-sedan owners. Meanwhile, the breakdown for functionality as the biggest thing customers love about their car was 95 to 94 percent, with sedans once again in the lead.

“What we’re hearing from younger buyers is that they appreciate the features, versatility, fuel economy and value in our sedans,” said Nissan’s chief marketing manager Rob Warren. “Sedan design has also come a long way, as these traditional four-door cars shed their generic look, add more technology and take on a more aggressive, stylish profile. As sedans become more exciting to look at and to drive, younger buyers are putting sedans at the top of their consideration list.”

With such a strong emphasis placed on sedan sales already, Nissan’s probably seeing what it wants. The fact of the matter is that Altima, Maxima, and Versa sales tanked in the U.S. last year. Meanwhile, the Sentra held strong while crossovers continued to dominate the market. Whether or not younger buyers are more predisposed to consider cars over crossovers is largely irrelevant if they aren’t actually buying them.

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: May 24 2019, 08:52 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 27 2019, 10:05 PM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://europe.autonews.com/blogs/nissan-bi...d-renault-merge

Nissan oh Nissan
Bjorn1688
post May 28 2019, 03:06 PM

Regular
1,921 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 27 2019, 10:05 PM)
That really came from nowhere.

Always thought PSA would snatch up FCA as it would have been far more useful to them since it would have provided a quick and easy entry into North America.

Wonder if this signals the end of the alliance and what would happen to Mitsubishi now that Renault has FCA in hand.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 29 2019, 08:12 AM

Regular
1,407 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ May 28 2019, 03:06 PM)
That really came from nowhere.

Always thought PSA would snatch up FCA as it would have been far more useful to them since it would have provided a quick and easy entry into North America.

Wonder if this signals the end of the alliance and what would happen to Mitsubishi now that Renault has FCA in hand.
The more we look.at the deal, the more it dawns on us that it is really a good contingency plan for the shaky and crumbling? Alliance.

Without Nissan whom structurally have the substantial stake in Mitsubishi, just the two FCA and Renault is already huge

user posted image

As the outsider still, FCA's overture is however very politically correct.....

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/elka...-renault-merger

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: May 29 2019, 08:25 AM
Bjorn1688
post May 29 2019, 09:34 PM

Regular
1,921 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 29 2019, 08:12 AM)
The more we look.at the deal, the more it dawns on us that it is really a good contingency plan for the shaky and crumbling? Alliance.

Without Nissan whom structurally have the substantial stake in Mitsubishi, just the two FCA and Renault is already huge

user posted image

As the outsider still, FCA's overture is however very politically correct.....
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/elka...-renault-merger
Got to give it to Renault, they knew how to play their cards and played it very well.

Indirectly told Nissan its either my way or the highway.

It will definitely be a good merger but pity FCA did not choose PSA instead.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 29 2019, 10:40 PM

Regular
1,407 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ May 29 2019, 09:34 PM)
Got to give it to Renault, they knew how to play their cards and played it very well.

Indirectly told Nissan its either my way or the highway.

It will definitely be a good merger but pity FCA did not choose PSA instead.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/business...ult-nissan.html

Newy York times has an interesting coverage. I like the way it ends....

“At the end of the day,” said Koji Endo, an auto analyst at SBI Securities in Japan, “I think Nissan has no choice but to say yes.”

TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 29 2019, 10:47 PM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/busine...nikkei-11576540

Nissan said yes...Kind of?!
saikia2046
post May 29 2019, 10:58 PM

Casual
414 posts

CKD in Malaysia a lightweight version R34 with 1.5 turbo 4WD (can put in RB26 with minimum hassle) and sell at civic ketam price, sales up 300% within weeks.
Bjorn1688
post May 29 2019, 11:02 PM

Regular
1,921 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 29 2019, 10:40 PM)
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/business...ult-nissan.html

Newy York times has an interesting coverage. I like the way it ends....
QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 29 2019, 10:47 PM)
There really isn't much for them to say yes or no to, in the end both will Nissan to MYOB and where the door is, they should not have disposed off Carlos Ghosn now there are even more hardliners to deal with and with blessing from the French government it seems.

Wonder if it is really as bad as the press are making it out to be on the distrust that's going on, if it is Nissan and Mitsubishi better hope they would be parties to the merger else they will be out of money to develop any new platforms.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 29 2019, 11:54 PM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...crosstown-rival

Peugeot Chief Sees Fiat Deal as ‘Virtual Takeover’ of Renault
Oldskolboyz
post May 30 2019, 05:27 AM

Regular
1,355 posts

According to news read in Paul Tan.. Nissan R&D budget has been cut by Renault so long.. No wonder Nissan very bad for so long edi..
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 30 2019, 06:57 AM

Regular
1,407 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ May 29 2019, 11:02 PM)
There really isn't much for them to say yes or no to, in the end both will Nissan to MYOB and where the door is, they should not have disposed off Carlos Ghosn now there are even more hardliners to deal with and with blessing from the French government it seems.

Wonder if it is really as bad as the press are making it out to be on the distrust that's going on, if it is Nissan and Mitsubishi better hope they would be parties to the merger else they will be out of money to develop any new platforms.
QUOTE(Oldskolboyz @ May 30 2019, 05:27 AM)
According to news read in Paul Tan.. Nissan R&D budget has been cut by Renault so long.. No wonder Nissan very bad for so long edi..
I think Nissan see this as an opportunity too

Nissan officially said no objection, and I can see why

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fiat...0529-story.html

The Los Angeles Times
BUSINESS
Renault and Nissan enter talks over proposed Fiat Chrysler merger
By MA JIE AND MAIKO TAKAHASHI
BLOOMBERG
MAY 29, 2019 | 12:35 PM

Renault and Nissan enter talks over proposed Fiat Chrysler merger
Renault Chairman Jean-Dominique Senard, left, speaks as Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa listens during a joint March 12 press conference at the Nissan headquarters in Yokohama, near Tokyo. (Eugene Hoshiko / AP)
Renault Chairman Jean-Dominique Senard arrived in Tokyo with a crucial mission: to sell the proposed merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and his company to longtime partner Nissan Motor Co.

There are signs he made some progress Wednesday at a meeting of the board overseeing the alliance between Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Speaking to reporters after the gathering, Nissan Chief Executive Officer Hiroto Saikawa said he sees potential opportunities for the alliance in Fiat Chrysler’s merger proposal, though he plans to study the matter further.

“In terms of the benefits for Nissan, we want to see specifically where they will come from,” Saikawa said. “Overall, we don’t consider this as a minus, but we want to watch carefully how things go.”

Under the terms of the Fiat proposal, Nissan will gain voting rights of 7.5% in the new entity, compared with no voting rights attached to its current cross-held shares in Renault. A merger would also dilute the French state’s control over Renault, and indirectly over Nissan, easing a concern the Japanese company has had for years.

Senard’s goal is to ensure that they all work well together. Although Nissan and Renault have been partners for two decades, the Japanese automaker isn’t in a position to block the deal. Nissan doesn’t own a controlling stake in the French company, and a merger wouldn’t breach their operating agreement.

Even so, Nissan is a critical part of what would be a global carmaking confederation that would produce 15 million cars a year, the most in the world. Renault and Fiat both need Nissan to facilitate access to markets in China, Japan and the rest of Asia, as well as electric-car technology.

The three-way alliance issued a statement saying that they held an "open and transparent discussion" on the merger proposal. "The meeting also discussed and positively concluded several current operational alliance matters,” the partners said.

“Senard has to convince the board members of Nissan this is probably a better idea for Nissan,” said Koji Endo, an analyst at SBI Securities in Tokyo. “He will have to reassure not only Nissan but also the Japanese government that Nissan will remain as one independent company, because that’s their primary concern.”

Renault’s board is expected to give preliminary approval to Fiat’s proposal as soon as next week, according to people familiar with the matter. While Fiat and Renault aren’t seeking a merger with Nissan for now, the companies plan to eventually invite Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors to join forces, they said.

“The benefits that would accrue from a combination of Groupe Renault and FCA, we believe, would also extend to the alliance partners Mitsubishi and Nissan,” Fiat Chrysler told its dealers and suppliers Monday. “We look forward to engaging with them on even greater, mutually beneficial opportunities.”

At stake is the companies’ ability to compete as the industry faces multiple challenges. With sales falling in the world’s biggest car markets, manufacturers are being pushed by regulators to electrify and reduce fleet emissions, forcing them to combine efforts and investments. They also need to spend heavily on self-driving technology or risk getting left behind by new, deep-pocketed competitors like Alphabet Inc.’s Waymo.

Although Renault owns a 43% stake in Nissan, the Japanese automaker is the bigger partner by sales and owns 15% of Renault, with no voting rights. Nissan sold 5.65 million cars last year, more than Renault’s 3.88 million units, but its profitability has been on the decline.

Hurt by slumping U.S. sales, aging vehicle models and an out-of-sync product cycle, the Japanese automaker issued an outlook for weak operating profit and cut its dividend for the first time in a decade.

The alliance was destabilized six months ago with the arrest of Carlos Ghosn, its architect and chairman, in connection with alleged financial crimes during his time as leader of the Japanese carmaker. Ghosn has denied all of the charges and is preparing for his trial, which will probably start next year.

Senard, who replaced Ghosn as chairman of Renault and the alliance, has sought to put the three automakers back on stable ground following his predecessor’s arrest. He worked earlier this year with Nissan to craft a new governance structure to oversee the partnership, giving up key concessions over board seats to assuage concerns by the Yokohama-based company.

Although Senard had been prodding Saikawa to consider further consolidation under a holding company structure, that’s now on hold. Eventually, they plan to invite the Japanese automaker to deepen ties, people with knowledge of the matter said.

Saikawa, who had rebuffed any talk of merging, now appears to be shifting his message. Talks between the European car companies will bring more opportunities and be positive for the future, Nissan’s CEO said. “It’s better if the alliance’s reach expands,” he said.

r3d2
post May 30 2019, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

UNCLE CAR
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 31 2019, 08:25 AM

Regular
1,407 posts

https://www.thedriven.io/2019/05/29/new-nis...safety-ratings/

New Nissan Leaf electric car gets five stars in Australian safety ratings
Bridie Schmidt Bridie Schmidt
2 days ago
Source: ANCAP
Source: ANCAP

The new all-electric Nissan Leaf, which is due to hit the Australian market in August of this year, has received the maximum safety rating from Australia’s new car safety assessment body, ANCAP.

The Leaf, which last year was given an upgraded 40kWh battery taking its driving range up to 315km on the NEDC cycle (in real world driving conditions this is expected to be more like 240km), has been recognised in the US as the cheapest electric car to own over a 5 year period.

As one of Australia’s most affordable electric cars (it has been slated to start at just under $A50,000 before on road costs when it goes on sale in a few months), the new safety rating will be another drawcard for drivers looking for safety as well as reduced emissions and running costs.

The rating, which was officially posted on the ANCAP website on Tuesday, applies to the new 2019 Leaf that will be introduced in Australia as well as the 2018 Nissan Leaf that has been available in New Zealand since last year.

With a 100% rating for side impact for both adults and children and 100% rating for pole (oblique) impacts (this is not measured for children), the Nissan Leaf achieved a 95% overall rating for adult occupants and 85% overall rating for child occupants.......

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: May 31 2019, 08:26 AM

9 Pages « < 6 7 8 9 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0450sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th August 2020 - 10:57 AM