Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

skip master Fast track to phd

views

TSJacki1 P
post Apr 21 2019, 10:22 PM, updated 5y ago

Probation
2 posts

I want to skip master and take fast track to phd. i saw some i knew did this and graduated. anyone can share their experience?
ru40342
post Apr 22 2019, 12:08 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(Jacki1 @ Apr 21 2019, 10:22 PM)
I want to skip master and take fast track to phd. i saw some i knew did this and graduated. anyone can share their experience?
Care to give more detail? Field, Unis etc?
SUSprincesshigh
post Apr 25 2019, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

Yes I did this last time.

Requirement to do fast track is CGPA at least 3.8 during your degree. You should also have done previous work in research (by being RA, publishing papers etc).

Make sure your supervisor agrees to this. Otherwise, you need to do Masters first. Some supervisors might agree with you and others might not. The ones who will disagree with probably concerned that you might not survive research field and quit your PhD halfway.
Hinoni P
post Apr 26 2019, 04:49 PM

Probation
8 posts

hmm i didnt do it but i know someone from usm do fast track to phd and graduate at year of 25. so if you think u can do it you can graduate young.
v1n0d
post May 7 2019, 05:06 PM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

I was a fast track student. Things to consider are:
1. Your undergraduate CGPA is a general measure of your ability to score on standardized tests - this doesn't always translate to research capability. I know people who have dropped out or fell back to a Masters because they lost interest and/or had difficulty conducting research.
2. Be selective of your supervisor - working with one that has prior experience in handling fast track students is important. What you want is someone who has the capacity to monitor you during the formative months before granting you the independence most PhD researchers are accustomed to.
3. Be prepared to extend your duration of study - in an ideal scenario, you want to graduate in 3 years or less, but you do need to give yourself sufficient time to master the basics or it'll cost you in the future. Fortunately this is easily remedied with good time management - schedule everything and stick to it!

All the best!
Medusayep P
post May 10 2019, 11:01 PM

Probation
3 posts

I heard some uni 3.67cgpa already can skip to phd. Again it needs really hard work and determination. All the best.
RyanGreville P
post Sep 7 2020, 04:42 AM

Probation
2 posts

Hi, I had such an experience, but we have different rules at the university, I still believe that you will need to self-develop, study and gain new knowledge. On my own I recommend a useful and informative resource <a href="https://studydriver.com/the-awakening-essay/">studydriver.com/the-awakening-essay/</a>, go over and take a look at the example of The Awakening Essays with professional materials that will be interesting, and you can also easily find topics or articles that interest you. Good luck!
Pakatan SinMa Plus
post Sep 7 2020, 05:00 PM

Regular
1,123 posts

The fast track program is offered in a number of universities. Indeed, you can save time and money by skipping master program. But, you have to put in more effort to deliver your PhD results.

If your end in mind is to obtain a PhD in your field, you are encouraged to do so. thumbsup.gif
xenotzu
post Sep 16 2020, 12:42 PM

Regular
1,484 posts

Traditionally, British universities allowed graduates with First Class Honours to skip Masters level and go straight to Phd. Most universities have similar requirements.
malleus
post Nov 4 2020, 06:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(xenotzu @ Sep 16 2020, 12:42 PM)
Traditionally, British universities allowed graduates with First Class Honours to skip Masters level and go straight to Phd.  Most universities have similar requirements.
This is merely the first of the requirements. Ultimately it all depends on if you can find a supervisor who's interested in your proposed research area or not.
danialefendy
post May 28 2021, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

I am a fast track PhD student.
Did my bachelor degree in BioMed Sc in IPTA, further with MD. Back to Malaysia and pursue Master in Science (research) and UiTM offer fast track those with medical degree. Otherwise those with bachelor can try Master and work hard to complete 2 research objectives and publish 1 paper and attend 1 conference within 1 year. Due to MCO, the requirement has been lenient like dont have to attend conference, just publish 1 paper.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:36 AM