Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Boss keep hinting increment, But I just started working

views

TS123help
post Apr 19 2019, 07:45 AM, updated 5y ago

33 posts

Hi guys, I’m a fresh graduate that just joined roughly 7 months. Throughout my time in the company, I completed a few projects here and there and recently I took a lead in one of the IT projects to come up with a prototype for client.

Before this, my boss hinted me about a special increment after I completed past projects and just yesterday he asked me to do well for this project so there’s a chance for special increment.

Any thoughts in this ? Anybody gotten this treatment before ? All is just a lie to get employee to work harder ? 🤔
jian5481
post Apr 19 2019, 07:59 AM

Enthusiast
778 posts

QUOTE(123help @ Apr 19 2019, 07:45 AM)
Hi guys, I’m a fresh graduate that just joined roughly 7 months. Throughout my time in the company, I completed a few projects here and there and recently I took a lead in one of the IT projects to come up with a prototype for client.

Before this, my boss hinted me about a special increment after I completed past projects and just yesterday he asked me to do well for this project so there’s a chance for special increment.

Any thoughts in this ? Anybody gotten this treatment before ? All is just a lie to get employee to work harder ? 🤔
Only time will tell. It depends on the manager. No one here knows who your manager is or if he had given this before to others. I've had a manager who said will give this give that but towards the end, they were all empty promises. I also had a manager who gave me two increments within my first 9 months in the company. Just continue to perform and you will eventually be rewarded, one way or another.
COOLPINK
post Apr 19 2019, 08:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

if he wanted to give you and increment he will do it already instead of giving you promises........just saying.
kentmeng
post Apr 19 2019, 08:08 AM

Casual
339 posts

U should tell boss: action speak louder then words.
Masculine
post Apr 19 2019, 08:16 AM

Regular
1,282 posts

dun put too much hope on it.. until you see black n white...
busdriverrocks
post Apr 19 2019, 08:23 AM

Getting Started
189 posts

if a BOSS want to give u.. will direct inform that now your salary adjusted.. no bullshit..
youngy
post Apr 19 2019, 08:29 AM

Casual
389 posts

Work long enough to know that one must not believe what your boss promises.
cubiclecarbonate
post Apr 19 2019, 08:32 AM

On my way
557 posts

what will you do, if the promises are not fulfilled? then have a thought about it once you get your own answer
Belphegor
post Apr 19 2019, 09:43 AM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

Bosses can talk all they want, then ended up they give all kinds of excuses to delay increment, promotion, etc. Unless they are giving you the black and white, else take everything a pinch of salt.
sweet_pez
post Apr 19 2019, 09:49 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Depends on you. You can give benefit of doubt to your boss. Whether or not the promise kicks in, if you enjoy working there and is learning, progressing a lot - there's no harm to continue doing what you're doing.

End of the day whether it'll come true or not - you'll find out after 1 year - when your evaluation/ KPI is done and you'll find out whether he's an empty vessel or a man of his word.
PrincZe
post Apr 19 2019, 10:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,050 posts

Well, u are a fresh grad.

I'd say do your best to find your true potential and make yourself proud that u did it.

Regarding increment, take it with a pinch of salt and demand from it later. As above said, need black and white
nebula87
post Apr 19 2019, 10:06 AM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

What kind of comments you want from us?

If your boss said so, then just finish the project and see how?
arefiq09
post Apr 19 2019, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
100 posts

One thing for sure, just do your best. It's almost a year, so you likely will be evaluated over your KPI soon.
nexona88
post Apr 19 2019, 10:21 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

Well don't have your hope high..
Just kept it 50/50

I don't really know your boss personally.. But I feel like he trying to boost your confidence & energy...

So only time would tell if indeed there's pay rise for you 🙏
abc2005
post Apr 20 2019, 09:34 AM

UNIVERSE is my CATALOGUE
2,076 posts

If you have the confidence, make it black and white in mail. Ask your boss if there is a specific form for promotion and increment. If he/she is still dilly-dallying about the increment/promotion form, then your boss might be just giving you empty talk.
Financier
post Apr 20 2019, 11:47 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Wait 1 year..
Drian
post Apr 22 2019, 09:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

It's quite common for bosses to give empty talk.

Don't put too much hope. Do the job well for your own skillset building and branding.

These are the two things you can bring with you in your next company.

flumx91
post Apr 22 2019, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

Don't get your hope up to high laa. As you're a fresh graduate, keep on learning and do your best regardless of your boss 'hint' at special increment. If you get it, good, if not, at least all this while you have done your best and learning a lot. With your experience and knowledge after those 2 projects, you could get better 'special increment' from your next job.
Endeavour
post Apr 22 2019, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
222 posts

My peer got sweet-talked by her boss to cancel her leaves and finish an urgent project. Apparently the boss said she will help her fight for a promotion/bigger bonus.

Instead of getting any of that, my peer got below-average bonus, and did not get a promotion. So mainly just focus on what you have to do - no point thinking so far ahead and to potentially get disappointed.
flumx91
post Apr 22 2019, 05:10 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(Endeavour @ Apr 22 2019, 04:54 PM)
My peer got sweet-talked by her boss to cancel her leaves and finish an urgent project. Apparently the boss said she will help her fight for a promotion/bigger bonus.

Instead of getting any of that, my peer got below-average bonus, and did not get a promotion. So mainly just focus on what you have to do - no point thinking so far ahead and to potentially get disappointed.
Wow, that sucks. bangwall.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:28 PM