Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Evading Imposters, a quick guide

goldfries
post Jun 22 2007, 04:03 AM, updated 13y ago

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,093 posts

In view of imposter involved con-cases such as this one http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/475945 I deem it's high time another reminder / guide is to be placed here. You may put this in your signature to warn others, I'm sure there are people out there who lack common sense........ or should i say - conman sense. doh.gif

Now - a few ways to safe guard yourself as the buyer. Yes, we're talking about buyer here, I don't wish to see any more $$$ go missing for nothing. if you wish to give your $$$ away freely, please give it to me instead as i could fund myself for projects that I could write about.

Let's begin.

NOTE : the guide here is about trading on LYN, and such may be applicable also on other trade places. it is a matter of using common sense avoid being conned.

IF someone does call you up and claims to be someone - then a few things you should consider

1. Did you ask the seller to call you? or was there an arrangement that either party would call to establish contact?

2. Identify the gender - if he's a guy and claims to be the seller (who is a girl) or he claims to be a friend or business partner of the seller - IGNORE that person because IF a seller WILL contact you on his / her own UNLESS. IF someone else is to contact you, then the SELLER would have informed you earlier.

Remember to get the name (and possibly the number too) of the contact person as well. So if the person said to contact you was Ahmad, then person who call you would be Ahmad - not Murthi or MuiMui.

3. Identify the phone number. if a seller has already made known his / her number, make sure the call IS from that number. If the seller has not made known the number, please find out from the seller at LYN.

4. Cross-check the above or any other information via PM. for example, you could just tell the person - "look, you PM me via LYN first to confirm it's you or I won't bank in."

5. Some crooks play the "URGENT" game. they'll tell you this unit is going off to someone unless you bank in now - so you got desperate for the unit, then you decided to bank in instead of verifying his / her identity - $$$ go bye bye. good? no. so please be patient and verify the details first, better be safe than sorry....... or you can give money to me as well, I'm ok with that.

6. OK i give you my IC & Bank Account number - don't fall for that crap. I would give you any bank account number and say that I'm a guy even though my nick says Stella. IC number? the conman could get it anywhere and still get away with it, you have no way to verify whether the IC number is authentic.

-------------------

OK with this I end my brief guide.

I'll be adding more points should I think of more. Feel free to contribute.
RangerRed
post Jun 22 2007, 09:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
2,078 posts

Some helpful tips:

1. Seller could help by putting their signtures:

I will contact you with this/these number/s 0XX XXX XXXX or by PM (LYN) or IM (your nick and the type of IM you use).

2. Buyers, finialise the deal by PM. i.e. Thru PM ask them, Please confirm: Product for RMXXXX and RMXX for postage, seller's real name and account number, your address and contact number.

The Seller should reply 'Confirm' with the above information in quotes.

3. Double check the LYN nick that is replying to you to confirm that it is exactly the same as the one in the sales thread. Double check all phone numbers to make sure they are exactly the same as the ones in the seller's thread or signature.
budakdegilz
post Jun 22 2007, 12:27 PM

Regular
1,113 posts

how about seller who don't want/ignore to give his phone number??by the way his/her is consider trustable seller..?
vikingw2k
post Jun 22 2007, 01:59 PM

LYN T-Zone'z Guardian
Group Icon
VIP
9,778 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Jun 22 2007, 12:27 PM)
how about seller who don't want/ignore to give his phone number??by the way his/her is consider trustable seller..?
Some of them are reluctant to give out their contact number due to own personal reason, you may contact them using other methods such as MSN, YM, Skype, Email

p/s: If you are in doubt, sleep over the deal.

acougan
post Jun 22 2007, 04:14 PM

On my way
590 posts

1. encourage both seller and buyer use CIMB online. their fund transfer history is very detailed (no mb2u screenshot photoshop nonsense).

p/s: earlier, i opened a thread rgd paypal 3rd party frauds, see sig.
sasaug
post Jun 23 2007, 10:16 AM

Small Fud
1,936 posts

I think it is time someone starting a middleman service in LYN,perhaps safe trader...
jtcs87
post Nov 12 2007, 06:15 PM

╮(╯_╰)╭
2,739 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Jun 22 2007, 12:27 PM)
What else if he / she don't want to provide his / her contact number for the deal. Just ignore him / her about the deal is better than become part of the victim for them. doh.gif
importstuffs
post Oct 23 2008, 12:33 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(sasaug @ Jun 23 2007, 10:16 AM)
I think it is time someone starting a  middleman service in LYN,perhaps safe trader...
then prices of the items would increase right if there is such service.

Silverfire
post Nov 20 2008, 01:15 AM

Cruxiaer
4,893 posts

QUOTE(importstuffs @ Oct 23 2008, 12:33 PM)
then prices of the items would increase right if there is such service.
This kind of service will be good for buyer(foreign), middleman(local) & buyer(local). There's a chance or maybe the area the buyer is staying at just doesn't have the item he/she wants.
syaf18
post Dec 20 2008, 05:49 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(Silverfire @ Nov 20 2008, 01:15 AM)
This kind of service will be good for buyer(foreign), middleman(local) & buyer(local). There's a chance or maybe the area the buyer is staying at just doesn't have the item he/she wants.
that was actually a good idea....
the middle person can check the info regarding the seller...
this can avoid fraud cases...
a safe transaction can be made...
this person shud be from LYN itself...

to goldfries --> then, what is a good way to avoid con-cases...
billneedme
post Jan 23 2009, 03:21 PM

Casual
413 posts

can trusteR?

kyzson69
post Aug 9 2009, 03:25 AM

Psychiatric Patient
939 posts

very usefuld tip, nice
sKyWiR3pT3lTd
post Feb 6 2010, 06:51 PM

Spirits Of Shankly
6,047 posts

Such useful guidelines, but how many has actually read it and agreed the terms?
Sargeant Pepper
post Jul 7 2010, 12:55 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

QUOTE(sKyWiR3pT3lTd @ Feb 6 2010, 06:51 PM)
Such useful guidelines, but how many has actually read it and agreed the terms?
Yeah, I agree with you. However, the real problem regarding conman and imposters is that, the victim did not bother to educate themselves and use common sense before it's too late. All they know is, they want to get the cheapest price. The mod, staff and other forum member can write thousands of this guide, but for LYN member that register to buy stuff only, did not actually check this sub-forum out. So it's kinda the 'victims' fault for not educating themselves. But at times, some people are not that lucky.
babyangelx2
post Jul 14 2010, 11:03 PM

43 posts

Its generous of LYN members to post such useful information.

I have just started to trade in LYN and am grateful for these tips regarding trades that are done here.

Thx rclxms.gif

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0812sec    2.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 09:47 PM