In view of imposter involved con-cases such as this one http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/475945 I deem it's high time another reminder / guide is to be placed here. You may put this in your signature to warn others, I'm sure there are people out there who lack common sense........ or should i say - conman sense.
Now - a few ways to safe guard yourself as the buyer. Yes, we're talking about buyer here, I don't wish to see any more $$$ go missing for nothing. if you wish to give your $$$ away freely, please give it to me instead as i could fund myself for projects that I could write about.
NOTE : the guide here is about trading on LYN, and such may be applicable also on other trade places. it is a matter of using common sense avoid being conned.
IF someone does call you up and claims to be someone - then a few things you should consider
1. Did you ask the seller to call you? or was there an arrangement that either party would call to establish contact?
2. Identify the gender - if he's a guy and claims to be the seller (who is a girl) or he claims to be a friend or business partner of the seller - IGNORE that person because IF a seller WILL contact you on his / her own UNLESS. IF someone else is to contact you, then the SELLER would have informed you earlier.
Remember to get the name (and possibly the number too) of the contact person as well. So if the person said to contact you was Ahmad, then person who call you would be Ahmad - not Murthi or MuiMui.
3. Identify the phone number. if a seller has already made known his / her number, make sure the call IS from that number. If the seller has not made known the number, please find out from the seller at LYN.
4. Cross-check the above or any other information via PM. for example, you could just tell the person - "look, you PM me via LYN first to confirm it's you or I won't bank in."
5. Some crooks play the "URGENT" game. they'll tell you this unit is going off to someone unless you bank in now - so you got desperate for the unit, then you decided to bank in instead of verifying his / her identity - $$$ go bye bye. good? no. so please be patient and verify the details first, better be safe than sorry....... or you can give money to me as well, I'm ok with that.
6. OK i give you my IC & Bank Account number - don't fall for that crap. I would give you any bank account number and say that I'm a guy even though my nick says Stella. IC number? the conman could get it anywhere and still get away with it, you have no way to verify whether the IC number is authentic.
OK with this I end my brief guide.
I'll be adding more points should I think of more. Feel free to contribute.
Evading Imposters, a quick guide