5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Second Hand car on tight budget

views

TSamosy33 P
post Apr 18 2019, 03:28 PM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(bismaximus @ Apr 17 2019, 10:48 PM)
I am a local uni student with an 09 Proton Persona.....the car has been easy to maintain since freshman year, parts plentiful and full tank (RM 80) gets me 400KM+ (usually 430-470).
I do drive a manual though and my car is at 180k KM

Based on your list, my cousin drives a 206 and it is a nightmare. Her car is slightly older but its never really running right, parts at times need to wait weeks and generally not a car a student/fresh grad should get.

Persona is a good option IMO, spacious, reliable, you can fix some stuff yourself because its a pretty basic car.

Most important, always set aside RM 500-RM 1k..... You never know what can go wrong if you don't do preventive maintenance. The most I've ever spent on one service so far was my timing belt (usually done at 100k KM) and regular maintenance should be around 160+ for oil change and stuff......every 20k I change spark plugs and stuff....that's around 250+ if I'm not mistaken.
thanks bruh, looking into it right now

abubin
post Apr 19 2019, 05:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(amosy33 @ Apr 17 2019, 10:20 PM)
Dont get me wrong, it's not like I have something with local cars but the fuel consumption for these models is quite high tho. like below 10km/L
I'm sorry, I was quite concern with fuel consumption ,service and spare part availability. Correct me if I'm wrong because I read a 2013 forum post saying Hyundai accent fair quite well with car of same age in terms of the above criterias
been considering these 2 as well, but quite afraid of the fuel consumption
I really wish I could afford one,yet I'm a full time uni student rn
Don't know where you read that Hyundai Accent is good car. From what I read (I could be wrong too), Hyundai Accent is horrible to maintain. It is hard to get spare parts because it is not a common car. And the FC is really terrible. Korean cars generally does not last more than 10 years. Look on the road. You don't see many Korean cars that is more than 10 years old.

For a second hand car, if saving money is your concern then you have to get perodua or proton. If you have more budget then get Honda or Toyota. The rest is probably out of your budget range.

Good luck, and tell us which car you eventually get.
TSamosy33 P
post Apr 19 2019, 05:44 PM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 19 2019, 05:04 PM)
Don't know where you read that Hyundai Accent is good car. From what I read (I could be wrong too), Hyundai Accent is horrible to maintain. It is hard to get spare parts because it is not a common car. And the FC is really terrible. Korean cars generally does not last more than 10 years. Look on the road. You don't see many Korean cars that is more than 10 years old.

For a second hand car, if saving money is your concern then you have to get perodua or proton. If you have more budget then get Honda or Toyota. The rest is probably out of your budget range.

Good luck, and tell us which car you eventually get.
ayy.Looking into persona, kancil or kenari rn. Would update here once I made my purchase. Thanks guys
wingdover
post Apr 19 2019, 05:47 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

second hand transport on tight budget, motor is your best bet.
Bjorn1688
post Apr 19 2019, 06:43 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

Cheap 2nd hand car?

Iswara 1.3 with original 13" wheels.
SUSFenix98
post Apr 20 2019, 09:42 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

QUOTE(amosy33 @ Apr 16 2019, 03:53 PM)
>Freshman in local uni
>holysh¡t it's bicc
>need a car(auto)
>budget below 10k
>look here there
>dig forum, do research
>taking FC ,mileage, comfort,ability to be get bang( driving home from Johor back to KL lol)
>found cars like:
Kia spectra 2006 (oil vampire)
Kia optima 2005 (can't find relevant info)
Peugeot 206 2009 (sparepart harga Yahudi)
Hyundai accent 2004 (mix bag of feedbacks from this forum lol. A 2013 post say it's dope and 2017 post said it's a nope )
>people be like: wira wajar kelisa all the way man,screw the old kimchi car for oil sucking and sparepart can buy new car
>also people be like: no, og perdua and proton can eat my short, buy myvi
>need help
Toyota Corolla SEG
SUSFenix98
post Apr 20 2019, 09:45 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

There is a reason why u still see 90s Corolla SEG running daily on the road to this very day in many countries

And seem to soldier on endlessly....
SUSFenix98
post Apr 20 2019, 09:47 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

I also dare say more reliable then a 5 year old BMW if u spend 5k fixing and addressing the worn out parts
SUSFenix98
post Apr 20 2019, 09:48 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

But of course 5 year old BMW is far better quality car. And drives way way better.
SUSFenix98
post Apr 21 2019, 12:37 AM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

QUOTE(gld998 @ Apr 16 2019, 07:41 PM)
get AE101 or AE111... 6~7k have already. Got some extra to make it dependable drool.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
This car is unreal.... in reliability... I still see it still soldiering on today....

I tortured one for 2 years.... bought it used spent 2k fixing it up and sold it for profit......

jieson77
post Apr 21 2019, 03:02 AM

33 posts

get AE101 or AE111... 6~7k have already. Got some extra to make it dependable drool.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
get the one with blacktop or silvertop ..gooding yo
SUSDaylight2018
post Apr 21 2019, 06:58 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

Iswara will do

thx2012
post Apr 21 2019, 02:24 PM

On my way
517 posts

I think Persona better, bigger...

or Myvi also, if u always city drive...
arza04
post Apr 22 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
294 posts

Buy a basic local car like wira or gen 2 and have fun tinkering with the car

I bought a used wira when i was a freshman. Do all the maintenance and repair myself during free time. Although the parts still usable, i still buy new parts just to learn how to diy replace lol

From basic maintenance like change gearbox oil engine oil, suspension parts replacement to electronic stuff. I once fully reconditioned the meter panel, diy audio systems, change power window motor, etc. it’s fun..but now working already I buy new car coz no time to tinkering haha.

Oh yeah I spent a fortune on hardware tools due to my uni time hobby
TSamosy33 P
post Apr 24 2019, 11:16 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(arza04 @ Apr 22 2019, 11:01 AM)
Buy a basic local car like wira or gen 2 and have fun tinkering with the car

I bought a used wira when i was a freshman. Do all the maintenance and repair myself during free time. Although the parts still usable, i still buy new parts just to learn how to diy replace lol

From basic maintenance like change gearbox oil engine oil, suspension parts replacement to electronic stuff. I once fully reconditioned the meter panel, diy audio systems, change power window motor, etc. it’s fun..but now working already I buy new car coz no time to tinkering haha.

Oh yeah I spent a fortune on hardware tools due to my uni time hobby
I kinda want to do that as well,but I scare I would screw it up 😂

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Apr 21 2019, 12:37 AM)
This car is unreal.... in reliability... I still see it still soldiering on today....

I tortured one for 2 years.... bought it used spent 2k fixing it up and sold it for profit......
it's kinda hard to find one near my area? would ask around too

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Apr 20 2019, 09:45 PM)
There is a reason why u still see 90s Corolla SEG running daily on the road to this very day in many countries

And seem to soldier on endlessly....
I heard that it's hard like a rock but when come to FC my friend always complain minum gile 😂

empire
post Apr 24 2019, 01:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

QUOTE(joey2000 @ Apr 16 2019, 10:12 PM)
Iswara or Kancil, very cheap to maintain. RM80 and below to service.
Below 5K. Buy Manual, very reliable.

Use it for 3 yrs, you can sell it almost same price you bought. Keep the extra 5k for your new car after 3 yrs.
Finally, a smart comment here. yes... go for Iswara Auto also good. Enough power from the 1.5 engine, new spare parts are so affordable...and even costs lower than kancil parts! rclxms.gif

FC is also decent. Any mechanic bawah pokok also can repair and maintain it for you and most of the time there are tons of new spare parts in their bengkel cos Iswara is a very popular model even til today in 2019! it is sooooo easy to repair this car and labour charges are also low cos of the ease in repairing.

Ride Comfort is way better than kancil, kelisa, kenari or any silly Korean car. Air con is very cold too.

I have a BMW too and I drive my Iswara auto more cos nobody will disturb me. I can park it anywhere and need not worry about it.
Iswara prices are dirt cheap now. Rm2000 also can get. Spend another RM2000 or less to do up the car...and you will have a workhorse that will last you many years.

You can ask those veteran taxi drivers la who used Iswara and Waja before. ALL of them will tell you Waja engine is so useless and breaks down easily whilst Iswara engine is way more reliable and hardly cause any issue at all. Mind you... they use Iswara as taxi more than 10 hours a day continuously for more than 10 years in a row WITHOUT any overhauling at all. rclxms.gif

I Overhauled my 1993 Iswara Auto gearbox and Engine 3 years ago.... and it runs really well ever since.

Dont buy WIRA cos it is car thieves' fav model to steal.

This post has been edited by empire: Apr 24 2019, 01:53 PM
Lysentrix
post Apr 24 2019, 02:12 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

I've got a 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.5, mileage 450k km, very very well loved and taken care of, hence the high mileage and it is still working like a charm, interior looks very good too. I drive it from Cyberjaya back to Penang all the time and it excels at highway driving, but doesn't do well for traffic jams in cities, hence I decide to let go of it, as my new job is in KL where it's jam AF and I need a smaller car.

Overhauled 2 years ago, letting go for 7k if you are interested, because I don't need a car this big anymore. Even foreman could not believe it's an 18 year old car. PM if interested.

This post has been edited by Lysentrix: Apr 24 2019, 02:16 PM
joey2000
post Apr 24 2019, 03:11 PM

Casual
375 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Apr 24 2019, 01:48 PM)
Finally, a smart comment here. yes... go for Iswara Auto also good. Enough power from the 1.5 engine, new spare parts are so affordable...and even costs lower than kancil parts!  rclxms.gif

FC is also decent. Any mechanic bawah pokok also can repair and maintain it for you and most of the time there are tons of new spare parts in their bengkel cos Iswara is a very popular model even til today in 2019! it is sooooo easy to repair this car and labour charges are also low cos of the ease in repairing.

Ride Comfort  is way better than kancil, kelisa, kenari or any silly Korean car. Air con is very cold too.

I have a BMW too and I drive my Iswara auto more cos nobody will disturb me. I can park it anywhere and need not worry about it.
Iswara prices are dirt cheap now. Rm2000 also can get. Spend another RM2000 or less to do up the car...and you will have a workhorse that will last you many years.

You can ask those veteran taxi drivers la who used Iswara and Waja before. ALL of them will tell you Waja engine is so useless and breaks down easily whilst Iswara engine is way more reliable and hardly cause any issue at all. Mind you... they use Iswara as taxi more than 10 hours a day continuously for more than 10 years in a row WITHOUT any overhauling at all.  rclxms.gif

I Overhauled my 1993 Iswara Auto gearbox and Engine 3 years ago.... and it runs really well ever since.

Dont buy WIRA cos it is car thieves' fav model to steal.
For Proton, I would say Iswara and Saga is very reliable.
It's just a transport with good aircond. FC is ok for manual car. I don't drive auto, so I do not know about the FC.
Buy it cheap, sold it off after grad.
I still keep my own Iswara for daily drive. Park it anywhere without worry, sometime even leave it for few days at KTM station.

If you got budget, also can go for old Toyota, super reliable.

This post has been edited by joey2000: Apr 24 2019, 03:12 PM
dudester
post Apr 24 2019, 03:19 PM

Enthusiast
812 posts

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Used to own a manual Ae101. This car is bulletproof!
Toyota used to run ads that if you see one broke down on the road better drive away since its a trap because they never breaks down.
And.. silver/black top is nice but it tells you the previous driver has abused the car, best to avoid.
empire
post Apr 24 2019, 03:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

QUOTE(dudester @ Apr 24 2019, 03:19 PM)
Used to own a manual Ae101. This car is bulletproof!
Toyota used to run ads that if you see one broke down on the road better drive away since its a trap because they never breaks down.
And.. silver/black top is nice but it tells you the previous driver has abused the car, best to avoid.
TS wants a cheap car that is reliable and very low cost to maintain. I am also a TOYOTA Fan of course....but it will not fit into TS' requirement.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0206sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:07 PM