> Questions aout CPU air cooler/liquid cooler, Complete noob here

views

TS ratloverice
post Apr 15 2019, 08:48 PM, updated 2w ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

I have some new questionssssssss guys.

Am looking at CPU air coolers.

Some air cooler shows something like "support up to 180W" and what does it actually mean?

As for the radiator, is it used to replace the case fans? Like if I want to put 2 intake fans at the front of the case, 1 exhaust at the rear and 1 exhaust on the top, must I replace the exhaust fan on the top of the case with a radiator if I wanna use a cpu air cooler/liquid cooler?

Also, some of the air cooler is compatible with socket type of LGA1150/1155/1156, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA2011, LGA2066. How do I know if they are compatible with the mobo that Im gonna use? I only can see LGA1151 on the description of the mobos...

Can CPU air cooler/liquid cooler be used on GPU instead?
hustlerism
post Apr 15 2019, 08:50 PM

Devil In Disguise
Group: Senior Member

What is your mobo?

Casing?

TS ratloverice
post Apr 15 2019, 08:55 PM

Casual

QUOTE(hustlerism @ Apr 15 2019, 08:50 PM)
What is your mobo?

Casing?
Haven’t chosen yet. Still choosing.

Just would like to seek more advices on how i can know whether a cpu air cooler is compatible with the one that I will choose later..
joedpa82
post Apr 15 2019, 08:56 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 15 2019, 09:48 PM)

Some air cooler shows something like "support up to 180W" and what does it actually mean?

As for the radiator, is it used to replace the case fans? Like if I want to put 2 intake fans at the front of the case, 1 exhaust at the rear and 1 exhaust on the top, must I replace the exhaust fan on the top of the case with a radiator if I wanna use a cpu air cooler/liquid cooler?

Also, some of the air cooler is compatible with socket type of LGA1150/1155/1156, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA2011, LGA2066. How do I know if they are compatible with the mobo that Im gonna use? I only can see LGA1151 on the description of the mobos...

1. U don't need to know that unless you're into overclockin.
2. Radiators need fans and don't act as replacements unless you're talking about placement. If you are, it depends on your placement.
3. Those LGA are actually sockets for Intel. Google the compatibility before buying.
4. NZXT has a system where it uses a GPU bracket and the Kraken for cooling.

zemega
post Apr 15 2019, 08:59 PM

Getting Started

There have been people that put tower air cooler on you before. With very great result. But you really need to know what you are doing. You got to cool transistors as well. You need to diy the attachment of the tower cooler to the GPU mounting place.
goldfries
post Apr 15 2019, 09:22 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

QUOTE(joedpa82 @ Apr 15 2019, 08:56 PM)
Actually you need to know even if you don't overclock.

Some processors on stock do generate quite some heat, imagine using say an i7-8700 but running some tiny cooler rated for 65W. Possible scenarios would be from running at maximum fan RPM all the time, to potential throttle or even shut down.

TS ratloverice
post Apr 15 2019, 09:26 PM

Casual

QUOTE(joedpa82 @ Apr 15 2019, 08:56 PM)
2. Radiators need fans and don't act as replacements unless you're talking about placement. If you are, it depends on your placement.
3. Those LGA are actually sockets for Intel. Google the compatibility before buying.
4. NZXT has a system where it uses a GPU bracket and the Kraken for cooling.
1. Is stock cooler sufficient for heavy video rendering or gaming use?

2. Ermm i don’t quite get it. I think it is the fan im talking about. If it’s 120mm can i just put any 120mm fan into it?

3. Most of the coolers i saw on the website of thermaltake don’t show lga1151 that’s why im confused ._.
1024kbps
post Apr 15 2019, 09:34 PM

4everalone Banzai

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 15 2019, 09:26 PM)
1. Is stock cooler sufficient for heavy video rendering or gaming use?

2. Ermm i don’t quite get it. I think it is the fan im talking about. If it’s 120mm can i just put any 120mm fan into it?

3. Most of the coolers i saw on the website of thermaltake don’t show lga1151 that’s why im confused ._.
Stock cooler is enough if you're not overclocking,
aftermarket cooler dissipate heat more efficiently thus head more thermal headroom for overclocking, or boost clock.

AMD cpu overclock itself if the cooler has more thermal headroom, aka can hit higher frequency before reaching thermal limit,
Don't know about Intel CPU but it should have equivalent technology
Skylinestar
post Apr 15 2019, 10:02 PM

Mega Duck

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 15 2019, 08:48 PM)
if your cpu dissipates 100w of thermal energy but your cooler only supports 10w, that means your cooler is not beefy enough. the cooler absorbs the heat from the cpu to itself, and needs to dissipates the heat from itself too.

no.
radiator is like a heatsink. u need fan to cool the heated radiator. depending on radiator size, u may have limitation on where u want to put it in your case. u can check on on various reviews on where is the best placement for radiator, be it front/rear/top/bottom/with air intake/exhaust.

it's hard to determine mobo compatibility. some cooler websites tell u the compatible mobo for their coolers. for some, u need to measure the dimension of the cooler and mobo and case too to check compatibility. u don't wanna buy a huge cooler just to get restricted by other components on your mobo. the dumbest is having a cooler so tall that the side panel of the case is unable to close.

check out NZXT Kraken G10 or G12 bracket as an example.
joedpa82
post Apr 15 2019, 10:27 PM

Casual

QUOTE(goldfries @ Apr 15 2019, 10:22 PM)
Actually you need to know even if you don't overclock.

Some processors on stock do generate quite some heat, imagine using say an i7-8700 but running some tiny cooler rated for 65W. Possible scenarios would be from running at maximum fan RPM all the time, to potential throttle or even shut down.
True. But we're talking about AIO coolers here. Not air cooler
TS ratloverice
post Apr 15 2019, 10:36 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Apr 15 2019, 10:02 PM)
if your cpu dissipates 100w of thermal energy but your cooler only supports 10w, that means your cooler is not beefy enough. the cooler absorbs the heat from the cpu to itself, and needs to dissipates the heat from itself too.
no.
radiator is like a heatsink. u need fan to cool the heated radiator. depending on radiator size, u may have limitation on where u want to put it in your case. u can check on on various reviews on where is the best placement for radiator, be it front/rear/top/bottom/with air intake/exhaust.
it's hard to determine mobo compatibility. some cooler websites tell u the compatible mobo for their coolers. for some, u need to measure the dimension of the cooler and mobo and case too to check compatibility. u don't wanna buy a huge cooler just to get restricted by other components on your mobo. the dumbest is having a cooler so tall that the side panel of the case is unable to close.
check out NZXT Kraken G10 or G12 bracket as an example.
Ahh got it. Thank you very much for the clear explanation 😂 if i wanna use an aftermarket cooler for the cpu, need to do some modification right? And if im using an intel i5-8250u, i should be looking for a cooler that is compatible with lga1151?
mbr
post Apr 15 2019, 10:39 PM

Hmm?

First of all, welcome to the world of geeks

As you know, heat is bad for computer parts, so need cooling... One way to measure heat generated is using power dissipation...(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation).

So a CPU that generates 100W need a cooler that can remove 100w or more. The ability of cooler to remove heat depends on quite a few factors. Air coolers have fans that move air across the surface of the heatsinks. Liquid cooling relies on having larger surface area of the radiator to remove heat even faster, but they still need fans to move the air across the radiator surfaces.

There are many videos online on how to plan for good airflow through your case so that you get adequate intake of cooler air from outside case and remove the hot air out.

On compatibility, just check whether there are suitable mounting brackets to secure the cooler to the motherboard. Some coolers have extra parts to make it suitable for different motherboards (shown as LGA, etc). Also ensure adequate clearance to fit in your case.

GPU also generate heat, and most of them have heatsink and fans too (except for lower powered passive cooling models).

For liquid cooling, whether it is for CPU or GPU, a suitable sealed cooling block is needed to have the proper fit around the heat producing parts, so that there is no leakage (water and electricity don't play well together). Just Google and see if those solutions are suitable for you.

At the moment, CPU and GPU don't really share coolers as the areas to cool are different, in case you are wondering. But you never know if this changes in the future...

This post has been edited by mbr: Apr 15 2019, 10:41 PM
mbr
post Apr 15 2019, 10:43 PM

Hmm?

QUOTE(ratloverice @ Apr 15 2019, 10:36 PM)
Ahh got it. Thank you very much for the clear explanation 😂 if i wanna use an aftermarket cooler for the cpu, need to do some modification right? And if im using an intel i5-8250u, i should be looking for a cooler that is compatible with lga1151?
Usually no modifications needed for aftermarket cooler. However, you may have to pay attention to whether the CPU cooler will fit well and not hit stuff like casing, RAM, etc...
goldfries
post Apr 16 2019, 11:59 AM

40K Club
Group Icon

QUOTE(joedpa82 @ Apr 15 2019, 10:27 PM)
True. But we're talking about AIO coolers here. Not air cooler
Works the same as well.

AIO and air-cooler works on the same concept anyway, heat absorbed at the block (contact point), heat transferred to fins to be dissipated.

AIOs, despite being "water cooling" many are actually lousy and not as good as tower air coolers.

Using cheap AIO (typically RM 150 - 250) types on higher end CPU often result in loud fan spinning also, and in some cases may not even cool properly.

In fact there's actually more complication on AIO - some pumps are weak, and unlike tower cooler where fan is the only thing you need, AIO coolers have the possibility of pump breakdown or worse, tubes break / dislodge.
goldfries
post Apr 16 2019, 12:04 PM

40K Club
Group Icon

biggrin.gif Should've come for my Custom Water Cooling session, that day we got some newbies to do tube bending.

Air Cooling - best / simplest is tower cooler, but good stuff are huge like Noctua NH-D15.

AIO Liquid - I like it for the appearance, but this one not necessarily better than air cooling and subjected to more complications.

Custom WC - most costly, most complicated, tedious to maintain and not necessarily better than AIO / Air Cooling. Basically when done right, most beautiful and best performance ........... also cost kau kau to attain that.
joedpa82
post Apr 16 2019, 11:01 PM

Casual

QUOTE(goldfries @ Apr 16 2019, 12:59 PM)
Works the same as well.

AIO and air-cooler works on the same concept anyway, heat absorbed at the block (contact point), heat transferred to fins to be dissipated.

AIOs, despite being "water cooling" many are actually lousy and not as good as tower air coolers.

Using cheap AIO (typically RM 150 - 250) types on higher end CPU often result in loud fan spinning also, and in some cases may not even cool properly.

In fact there's actually more complication on AIO - some pumps are weak, and unlike tower cooler where fan is the only thing you need, AIO coolers have the possibility of pump breakdown or worse, tubes break / dislodge.
True.

But for my AIO I usually run synthetic stress test to check the temperature and I actually like the results.
goldfries
post Apr 17 2019, 10:22 AM

40K Club
Group Icon

QUOTE(joedpa82 @ Apr 16 2019, 11:01 PM)
True.

But for my AIO I usually run synthetic stress test to check the temperature and I actually like the results.
Of course, that subjective to the processor vs your AIO type. smile.gif

AIO also have many range, some are not so good some are really nice.

Usually the 240mm rad sized onwards will be better.
joedpa82
post Apr 17 2019, 12:38 PM

Casual

QUOTE(goldfries @ Apr 17 2019, 11:22 AM)
Of course, that subjective to the processor vs your AIO type. smile.gif

AIO also have many range, some are not so good some are really nice.

Usually the 240mm rad sized onwards will be better.
Ah...good thing mine was a 240. I don't believe that a 120 can pull it, just my preference though.
goldfries
post Apr 17 2019, 01:18 PM

40K Club
Group Icon

120 also depends on model, some thicker rad and have better fan, and perhaps better pump.

That's why I say water cooling complicated, so many factors. biggrin.gif

You see the one below, cheap tower cooling with no airflow still handles my Intel Core i5-8400 like a champ.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0796sec    3.66    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2019 - 11:59 AM