Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Building a PC after 10 years, need help

views

indran1412
post Apr 15 2019, 11:19 AM

Getting Started
135 posts

The core parts are still the same. Such as motherboard, processor, ram, case, powersupply, GPU(if gaming), ssd(HDD for Mass storage) and os

DVD drives are getting less popular now. Most of the cases nowadays doesn't even come with one. So plan accordingly when buying a case. Also nowadays tempered glass case are very widespread.

Do be mindful of new connectivity standard.such as nvme. It's very very fast compared to sata and can be installed directly into motherboard. The price is still higher compared to sata ssd's so depending on your budget, get one if you can afford it.

Sound cards and network cards are not needed anymore since integrated solutions are enough for normal/gaming usage already. So unless you're a professional sound producer or lan party organizer, you don't need them.

This post has been edited by indran1412: Apr 15 2019, 11:23 AM
indran1412
post Apr 15 2019, 11:27 AM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(kopiride @ Apr 15 2019, 11:21 AM)
Well..yes and no. PC building in essence are still the same.
Only difference are of course much better specs for today hardware and the new type of slots available to your hardware.
Here are some of the latest tech to get you started.
Since you are going amd, look for Threadripper cpu :-) if you have budget.
Then RTX gpu, nvme hdd. DDR4 ram. That's about it
(Of course if you are getting top end hardwarde make sure to get a top end PSU too like seasonic or EVGA as example)
Agreed with the PSU point. Never ever buy cheap PSU. It can take down all your component if it goes down. Seasonic, Corsair, evga, super flower are some of the good choices. Got lots I didn't list so see online reviews to get an idea.

Also RGB is not equal to extra performance. You're gonna see a lot of parts getting RGBfied and very expensive. Keep that in mind.
indran1412
post Apr 15 2019, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(carpathia @ Apr 15 2019, 02:07 PM)
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I'm not familiar with SSD installation and installing OS without DVD drive lol.....
https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-creat...-dvd-installer/

Sata SSD's are same as Sata HDD's. same connector. NVME SSD is installed straight into motherboard
indran1412
post Apr 15 2019, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(carpathia @ Apr 15 2019, 02:09 PM)
Oh yeah one question, what case would you recommend for me that will reduce dust ? I always have problems with dust build up
Get a case with dust filter. Clean the filter regularly.

The newer cases have improved a lot compared to 10 years ago. so with regular or occasional cleaning, you'll be alright.

Watercooling is an expensive option but your case is going to have the same amount of fans plus extra pump so personally I wont recommend at least for a start.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:56 PM