Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

2nd Generation Lexus IS 250 or 6th Generation Golf, Second Car

views

TSraafimatin
post Apr 12 2019, 05:07 PM, updated 5y ago

36 posts

I currently drive a Mazda 3 2017 here in Malaysia as a daily and looking for a second used car to have a bit of fun on weekends and also at times for my wife to drive to work. I was looking between Lexus IS250 2nd Gen or Golf GTi MK6. They are priced almost similar but both comes with its own pros and cons like for instance the Golf GTI having a common DSG issue. Looking for some recommendations on which one would be more fun and worth it car to get?

FYI I have never owned or driven a Lexus or Golf GTI but when I was in Europe I have driven a Skoda Octavia VRS which has the same engine as a Golf GTI MK6.
jfcheong
post Apr 12 2019, 05:11 PM

44 posts

GTi MK6 does not have the DSG issue. Only Golf TSI had it, and it got solved few years back.
Christina Leo
post Apr 12 2019, 05:13 PM

46 posts

your mazda 3 probably handles better than 2nd gen IS250. Why not get a manual transmission car to maximize the 'fun'?
dudester
post Apr 12 2019, 05:14 PM

Enthusiast
811 posts

Golf GTI is definitely going to be fun
axtray
post Apr 12 2019, 05:47 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

your budget's probably around 70-90k. Why not expand your option and look for an E90 325? Or even 335 if you're feeling adventurous tongue.gif
jameslow
post Apr 12 2019, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
285 posts

Get the Golf GTI, better get the stock version, fun enough already.

Must take good care of the engine oil and DSG oil, then it should be good to go.

I just sold my Golf GTI MK6 modded stage 2, clocked at 155k km, DSG still reasonably good, but I know mecha and clutch is due soon.
19 Degree South
post Apr 13 2019, 02:42 AM

Regular
1,480 posts

Some say the electric car wins all! Oh wei!
6UE5T
post Apr 14 2019, 07:54 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(raafimatin @ Apr 12 2019, 05:07 PM)
I currently drive a Mazda 3 2017 here in Malaysia as a daily and looking for a second used car to have a bit of fun on weekends and also at times for my wife to drive to work. I was looking between Lexus IS250 2nd Gen or Golf GTi MK6. They are priced almost similar but both comes with its own pros and cons like for instance the Golf GTI having a common DSG issue. Looking for some recommendations on which one would be more fun and worth it car to get?
FYI I have never owned or driven a Lexus or Golf GTI but when I was in Europe I have driven a Skoda Octavia VRS which has the same engine as a Golf GTI MK6.
GTI is surely more fun to drive coz it's faster and handling better but it's also much more problematic. IS250 is more of a comfortable cruiser with just decent handling and power but much more bullet proof reliability.

If it's for your wife, it's better to get a much more reliable car for more peace of mind. She won't appreciate much power and handling anyway. So in this case probably better to get IS250. Power and handling can be upgraded if you got money and like to mod (not to say the IS250 is a slouch to begin with too), but you cannot buy reliability.

Having said that, if you want more worth it, instead of IS250, might as well get a Toyota Mark X! Coz it's exactly the same engine/transmission/suspension but cheaper and more spacious at the back. Some do value the more refinement of the Lexus but some may not care for that and prefer the more spacious rear of the Mark X. So I'd suggest you also test drive the Mark X to compare with IS250 to see which one you like better.
Ginny88
post Apr 14 2019, 02:07 PM

Regular
1,032 posts

I would say get a GTi Mk 6 for yourself and pass the Mazda 3 to your wife.

flamestudio
post Apr 14 2019, 04:46 PM

Regular
1,758 posts

QUOTE(raafimatin @ Apr 12 2019, 05:07 PM)
If you are getting the Golf GTI and be ready to face the learning curve of owning a German car. Then by all means the Golf GTI will give you a more balanced driving experience. Powerful, comfort and good handling at the same time. Just make sure to allocated some funds for maintenance and wear and tear. Preferable RM15k aside for things like, Mecha K1 and K2 solenoid replacements, clutch pack replacement, timing chain tensioner, water pump, timing cover gasket, coil packs, engine, decarbon engine, fuel injectors, gearbox and engine mountings, radiator hoses and others. The Mk6 GTi is at least 8 years old and if you get a unit that is not well taken care of. Those are the things that might be due for replacement.

Not to mention big ticket things like DSG gearbox, Mechatronic Unit, DCC Absorbers, ABS Pump that can cost about RM8k to RM10k each.
jamespaul
post Apr 15 2019, 08:13 AM

Getting Started
211 posts

QUOTE(flamestudio @ Apr 14 2019, 04:46 PM)
If you are getting the Golf GTI and be ready to face the learning curve of owning a German car. Then by all means the Golf GTI will give you a more balanced driving experience. Powerful, comfort and good handling at the same time. Just make sure to allocated some funds for maintenance and wear and tear. Preferable RM15k aside for things like, Mecha K1 and K2 solenoid replacements, clutch pack replacement, timing chain tensioner, water pump, timing cover gasket, coil packs, engine, decarbon engine, fuel injectors, gearbox and engine mountings, radiator hoses and others. The Mk6 GTi is at least 8 years old and if you get a unit that is not well taken care of. Those are the things that might be due for replacement.

Not to mention big ticket things like DSG gearbox, Mechatronic Unit, DCC Absorbers, ABS Pump that can cost about RM8k to RM10k each.
Yes. If you get the Golf GTI you probably need around RM10-25k cash back up for good upfront maintenance

If you get the IS250, you should probably do fluids change. RM1-2k cash back up for maintenance

GTI is considered a performance car, hence, people will drive it harder

TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 02:59 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(jfcheong @ Apr 12 2019, 05:11 PM)
GTi MK6 does not have the DSG issue. Only Golf TSI had it, and it got solved few years back.
Yup I the dry clutch is more problematic compared to the wet clutch found on the GTi MK6
TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:01 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(Christina Leo @ Apr 12 2019, 05:13 PM)
your mazda 3 probably handles better than 2nd gen IS250. Why not get a manual transmission car to maximize the 'fun'?
My wife isnt comfortable to drive a stick shift specially considering my area has a LOT of traffic all the time specially during commute times, but yeah I have definitely considered a manual Peugot 208 GTI
TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:03 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Apr 12 2019, 05:47 PM)
your budget's probably around 70-90k. Why not expand your option and look for an E90 325? Or even 335 if you're feeling adventurous tongue.gif
Yup thats a fun car as well but then comes the again the question of maintenance and reliability according to LYN, which I am completely unknown to as well, maybe the adventure will start at reliability but I could be wrong since I havent owned one but Im keen haha
TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:08 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Apr 14 2019, 07:54 AM)
GTI is surely more fun to drive coz it's faster and handling better but it's also much more problematic. IS250 is more of a comfortable cruiser with just decent handling and power but much more bullet proof reliability.

If it's for your wife, it's better to get a much more reliable car for more peace of mind. She won't appreciate much power and handling anyway. So in this case probably better to get IS250. Power and handling can be upgraded if you got money and like to mod (not to say the IS250 is a slouch to begin with too), but you cannot buy reliability.

Having said that, if you want more worth it, instead of IS250, might as well get a Toyota Mark X! Coz it's exactly the same engine/transmission/suspension but cheaper and more spacious at the back. Some do value the more refinement of the Lexus but some may not care for that and prefer the more spacious rear of the Mark X. So I'd suggest you also test drive the Mark X to compare with IS250 to see which one you like better.
Firstly thank you for completely understanding what I wanted to know in the thread. Yes as you mentioned I have looked into Mark X and that was my first choice and I adore that car, Im just having a hard time trying to find one which is clean with low mileage, so kind of started looking at Mark X. And I think that car be tweaked quite well to gain enough power to have fun, but Im sure GTI is more powerful but it also comes with its cost, whereas I think the Lexus/Mark X platform is more worth it in that sense. Let me see if I can actually test drive one anytime soon.
axtray
post Apr 15 2019, 03:08 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(raafimatin @ Apr 15 2019, 03:03 PM)
Yup thats a fun car as well but then comes the again the question of maintenance and reliability according to LYN, which I am completely unknown to as well, maybe the adventure will start at reliability but I could be wrong since I havent owned one but Im keen haha
You're worried about reliability when you decided to include a used vw into your consideration?

TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:10 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(flamestudio @ Apr 14 2019, 04:46 PM)

This is exactly something that concerns me, I mean I might be able to afford the GTi to buy in the long run it hits the wallet with the expensive parts and maintenance which needs time and money.
TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:12 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(jamespaul @ Apr 15 2019, 08:13 AM)
Yes. If you get the Golf GTI you probably need around RM10-25k cash back up for good upfront maintenance

If you get the IS250, you should probably do fluids change. RM1-2k cash back up for maintenance

GTI is considered a performance car, hence, people will drive it harder
Yup, Im sure its not easy to find one that wasnt driven hard simply because how fast this machine is. And the ones I went to check out in shops had tampered mileage.
TSraafimatin
post Apr 15 2019, 03:14 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Apr 15 2019, 03:08 PM)
You're worried about reliability when you decided to include a used vw into your consideration?
I mean Im worried yes but also I am told that the GTI is somewhat 'reliable' compared to the list and there are owners who haven't experienced any 'major' problems with the car. Thus why I decided to include it on the list.
axtray
post Apr 15 2019, 03:53 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(raafimatin @ Apr 15 2019, 03:14 PM)
I mean Im worried yes but also I am told that the GTI is somewhat 'reliable' compared to the list and there are owners who haven't experienced any 'major' problems with the car. Thus why I decided to include it on the list.
I'd put my money into bmws 6 cyl and zf transmission being more bullet proof than vw anytime, gti or not. Lol

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0198sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:29 PM