Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Seeking the next job & overall career progression, Need advice for the switch

views

TSwonglokat
post Apr 6 2019, 04:45 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
246 posts

So, I’ve been thinking a lot about my current job, career and my parents who can no longer work due to age and health. With my CV and cover letter ready to be tweaked for job application, I want to get as many inputs as I can from people (hiring managers even) in the industry.

I’m in my early 30s, working my first job in healthcare/clinical diagnostics for 6 years now and I’ve been leading a section for the past 2 years. As I casually look these past months, I find that the medical device / food manufacturing industry is where the opportunities lie. Career-wise, I feel a new and more challenging curve is needed. Getting comfy and having moments of apathy bother me a great deal.

My questions are
1. Do I need to apply for entry- to mid-level jobs seeing that I’m ‘new’ to the industry? Sure, the knowledge is there but I note the requirements for industry/practical experience.
2. And to secure* the future for my family (I’m single), I understand that I need a bump in my salary in the next 5 – 10 years. How do I know that I’m ready to apply to a managerial position? Or will we? Is this just the fear of the unknown and compounded, probably, by lack of exposure to the industry I might apply to?

I’d love to hear from you all for 1 & 2 above and perhaps some tips navigating through what I deem to be a [hopefully] brief period of self-doubt.

Thanks.

for lack of a better word; wanting to make sure most contingencies are accounted for and purchasing some insurance coverage for the old folks. Been thrifty all these years and savings % alone won't cut it

Edited to clarify the initial 'healthcare' to mean clinical diagnostics ala Pathlab, BP and the like.

This post has been edited by wonglokat: Apr 6 2019, 06:35 PM
ReWeR
post Apr 6 2019, 05:37 PM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

from what I know. healthcare industries has great potential and is something essential even after 30 years from now.

so i'm not really sure why you want to quit it, probably you fed up with it or something.

TSwonglokat
post Apr 6 2019, 06:46 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(ReWeR @ Apr 6 2019, 05:37 PM)
from what I know. healthcare industries has great potential and is something essential even after 30 years from now.

so i'm not really sure why you want to quit it, probably you fed up with it or something.
Thanks for pointing that out ReWer.

Sorry didn't expand on my "healthcare industry" to simply mean that one facet of clinical testing to support diagnosis. The way I put it was as if I'm leaving the whole thing behind to go into manufacturing doh.gif Still within the domain of testing and QA but looking at non-human derived materials now requiring knowledge of a different ISO framework and systems (GMP, HACCP), hence my questions
ReWeR
post Apr 19 2019, 01:02 PM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

QUOTE(wonglokat @ Apr 6 2019, 06:46 PM)
Thanks for pointing that out ReWer.

Sorry didn't expand on my "healthcare industry" to simply mean that one facet of clinical testing to support diagnosis. The way I put it was as if I'm leaving the whole thing behind to go into manufacturing  doh.gif Still within the domain of testing and QA but looking at non-human derived materials now requiring knowledge of a different ISO framework and systems (GMP, HACCP), hence my questions
I personally think 30 and single is your biggest advantage to try something new.

I'm not from your industry so I can't know which one will have better prospect.

But if you wish to widen your horizon ... why not? I think 6 years in the same position already make you bored.

Harry_Bobinski
post Apr 20 2019, 07:52 PM

King of Truth
960 posts

Agilent and Thermo-Fischer are some of the better companies that are manufacturing these medical devices. These both are basically competitors to several machines. I was in Agilent previously and I was in the Spectroscopy division. There is also Life Sciences division where they have Dako products, Genomic products, and also the machines that mixes the penicillin etc. You ought to give it a try there. Benefits are so so but the work life balance is amazing
TSwonglokat
post Apr 22 2019, 10:36 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

Thanks ReWeR and Harry_Bobinski. I've started submission over the weekend and waiting for news

This post has been edited by wonglokat: Apr 22 2019, 10:39 PM
Siti D
post Apr 29 2019, 02:55 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(wonglokat @ Apr 6 2019, 04:45 PM)
So, I’ve been thinking a lot about my current job, career and my parents who can no longer work due to age and health. With my CV and cover letter ready to be tweaked for job application, I want to get as many inputs as I can from people (hiring managers even) in the industry.

I’m in my early 30s, working my first job in healthcare/clinical diagnostics for 6 years now and I’ve been leading a section for the past 2 years. As I casually look these past months, I find that the medical device / food manufacturing industry is where the opportunities lie. Career-wise, I feel a new and more challenging curve is needed. Getting comfy and having moments of apathy bother me a great deal.

My questions are
1. Do I need to apply for entry- to mid-level jobs seeing that I’m ‘new’ to the industry? Sure, the knowledge is there but I note the requirements for industry/practical experience.
2. And to secure* the future for my family (I’m single), I understand that I need a bump in my salary in the next 5 – 10 years. How do I know that I’m ready to apply to a managerial position? Or will we? Is this just the fear of the unknown and compounded, probably, by lack of exposure to the industry I might apply to?

I’d love to hear from you all for 1 & 2 above and perhaps some tips navigating through what I deem to be a [hopefully] brief period of self-doubt.

Thanks.

for lack of a better word; wanting to make sure most contingencies are accounted for and purchasing some insurance coverage for the old folks. Been thrifty all these years and savings % alone won't cut it

Edited to clarify the initial 'healthcare' to mean clinical diagnostics ala Pathlab, BP and the like.
Hi Wonglokat. I'd like to share some view on your questions, hopefully not too late. tongue.gif

- I think you may proceed with mid-level jobs, considering you have 6 years experience. Not only it shows maturity of your working experience, but also shows the soft skills you may acquired while working at previous company.

- If you are interested in managerial position, it is not easy but it is possible. You may start by getting more and more experiences in management, participating yourself in any related training and most importantly, know how to manage a team, eg leadership skills.

Hopefully it helps. Good luck.

TSwonglokat
post Apr 29 2019, 07:10 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(Siti D @ Apr 29 2019, 02:55 PM)
Hi Wonglokat. I'd like to share some view on your questions, hopefully not too late.  tongue.gif
- I think you may proceed with mid-level jobs, considering you have 6 years experience. Not only it shows maturity of your working experience, but also shows the soft skills you may acquired while working at previous company.
- If you are interested in managerial position, it is not easy but it is possible. You may start by getting more and more experiences in management, participating yourself in any related training and most importantly, know how to manage a team, eg leadership skills.

Hopefully it helps. Good luck.
Hey Siti,

Thanks for those. My initial thoughts about taking a step back is simply to learn - on the job - about a different field before resuming my career trajectory. Correct me if I'm wrong but my conviction is that in order lead, make policies or be that go-to person some day, I need a good grasp of a particular system first.

Will keep a look out for suitable openings while doing a quick self-check on my leadership quality. For the latter, need to make sure I have the right skills and not simply due to the number of work experience.
Siti D
post May 2 2019, 11:29 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(wonglokat @ Apr 29 2019, 07:10 PM)
Hey Siti,

Thanks for those. My initial thoughts about taking a step back is simply to learn - on the job - about a different field before resuming my career trajectory. Correct me if I'm wrong but my conviction is that in order lead, make policies or be that go-to person some day, I need a good grasp of a particular system first.

Will keep a look out for suitable openings while doing a quick self-check on my leadership quality. For the latter, need to make sure I have the right skills and not simply due to the number of work experience.
Hi Wonglokat,

Agreed about the latter skills required for the managerial positions. Anyway, good luck for your new journey of exploration new things. Good to explore more while we still have chance. Good luck again. Hehe. rclxms.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:05 PM