Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

256 Gb SSD or 1 Tb Fusion Drive for iMac 27 in?

views

TSmikey8811
post Mar 23 2019, 02:37 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
106 posts

Hi

I am looking to purchase the base 27 in 2019 iMac (i5 6 Core 3.0 GHz, 8 Gb RAM) that was launched recently.

I understand the SSD configuration is faster and better to use in the long run.

I can only afford the 256 Gb SSD or stick with the 1 Tb fusion drive.

My current usage is an old 2008 MacBook (Intel core 2 duo 2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM) with only 80 Gb HDD of wich I am using at best 60 Gb for OS (10.6.8) and apps. iTunes, iPhotos, iPhone backups, Time Machine backups are all on external HDD's.

Is a 256 Gb SSD sufficient in the above context? I am unsure how much Mojave system files need to run with some headroom.

I do not really do intensive processing. Just some video transcoding for Plex Media Server where the video files are on an external HDD. My current MacBook has some stuttering when transcoding video and audio and I am unsure if this is related to drive speed, processing power or RAM.

I am guessing it is processor power.

Any feedback appreciated.
jemmi
post Mar 23 2019, 02:55 PM

Casual
485 posts

If low in budget, 256GB more than enough to run mojave, I'm using external HDD (put 512Gb SSD in external hdd casing) as data, backup, movie & download item)

I prefer more RAM 8/16GB for future OSX. If not mistaken imac could upgrade the RAM & SSD/HDD later coz both not soldered , if macbook(RAM soldered)

This post has been edited by jemmi: Mar 23 2019, 03:19 PM
TSmikey8811
post Mar 23 2019, 05:56 PM

Getting Started
106 posts

Thanks jemmi

Does running a browser like Safari, Firefox or Chrome with many tabs open simultaneously eat up disk space?

That would be the other bad habit I have.

BTW nice stereo you have - what amps do you run?

Thanks
westlife
post Mar 26 2019, 09:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

QUOTE(mikey8811 @ Mar 23 2019, 02:37 PM)
Hi

I am looking to purchase the base 27 in 2019 iMac (i5 6 Core 3.0 GHz, 8 Gb RAM) that was launched recently.

I understand the SSD configuration is faster and better to use in the long run.

I can only afford the 256 Gb SSD or stick with the 1 Tb fusion drive.

My current usage is an old 2008 MacBook (Intel core 2 duo 2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM) with only 80 Gb HDD of wich I am using at best 60 Gb for OS (10.6.8) and apps. iTunes, iPhotos, iPhone backups, Time Machine backups are all on external HDD's.

Is a 256 Gb SSD sufficient in the above context? I am unsure how much Mojave system files need to run with some headroom.

I do not really do intensive processing. Just some video transcoding for Plex Media Server where the video files are on an external HDD. My current MacBook has some stuttering when transcoding video and audio and I am unsure if this is related to drive speed, processing power or RAM.

I am guessing it is processor power.

Any feedback appreciated.
U are better of with the 1TB hybrid if u can not afford a minimum 512gb ssd.

If u are not running bootcamp the hybrid drive should be good enough for daily drive.

If u need to run bootcamp, 256gb ssd is also too little.
wei
post Mar 27 2019, 05:21 PM

Get your Macs done right!
6,491 posts

Go for pure SSD.
iMac 27-inch is a huge desktop, it's not going anywhere from your desk. So go buy some large external drive to store your media. Even 1TB won't be enough over time. If you have budget by then get some speedy Thunderbolt disk packs. You not going to missed much speed. Just don't keep so much junk in your internal drive, 256GB do fine.

The reason not to go for Fusion is the main part of the fuse is conventional rotational HDD, which will fail & slow down over time. Not to say the SSD won't fail, but they are proven more reliable when you compare with HDD. We still can't figure out why Apple still offering them in 2019.
wanna be hi-tech
post Apr 5 2019, 12:03 PM

Any self respecting GEEK, certainly owns more than a single rig
1,598 posts

256gb is enough for running an Os. I run a hack, 180gb only (for Os only), i run photoshop, fcpx (only full hd though), light room and other wares.
The 180gb seems to be fine, just need to clear junk.
I know i cant compare a hack to an imac as an imac’s upgrade of hardware is not as easy as a desktop, but am trying to give an idea that 256gb for an Os, should be fine, unless u are a 4k guy and handle huge volume of fcpx.
westlife
post Apr 6 2019, 10:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

QUOTE(wanna be hi-tech @ Apr 5 2019, 12:03 PM)
256gb is enough for running an Os.  I run a hack, 180gb only (for Os only), i run photoshop, fcpx (only full hd though), light room and other wares.
The 180gb seems to be fine, just need to clear junk.
I know i cant compare a hack to an imac as an imac’s upgrade of hardware is not as easy as a desktop, but am trying to give an idea that 256gb for an Os, should be fine, unless u are a 4k guy and handle huge volume of fcpx.
Not really.

If one needs to run bootcamp, it will not be enough.

Even if one does not, to do video editing, the internal storage speed will make a big difference, Apple has the fastest pcie ssd storage, when editing video on it, it will cut down time significantly. One can try to do so on an external storage but the user experience will not be the same. If one is to buy an external storage that is on par on the speed, the external storage will be expensive and the price will probably be the same or higher than opting for higher ssd storage at the start.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 AM