Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Teaching kids on property investments?, What, how, when and why? Investment

views

TSBjorn1688
post Mar 20 2019, 03:46 PM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,924 posts

Let's have a chat on property investing and teaching it to our own kids or to your next generation(s)

Who taught you the basics on property investments? How was it taught to you?

How would you teach your kids on property investing? What would you teach them? At what age would you teach them?
TBJ
post Mar 20 2019, 03:54 PM

Casual
374 posts

rich kids
hummels
post Mar 20 2019, 05:20 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

the best way to teach children about property investment is through playing Monopoly or Saidina.
SUSNew Klang
post Mar 20 2019, 06:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

Rich dad
SUSNew Klang
post Mar 20 2019, 06:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

Warren Buffet was not a property investor.

Nor Steve Job, Bill Gates, Jack Ma, Jeff Amazon, Tim Apple,
icemanfx
post Mar 20 2019, 06:38 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
20,796 posts

Property is not the only investment option available.

In the long term, property price rise at about inflation rate.

Teach to buy with leverage could end up highly indebted.

woolei
post Mar 20 2019, 07:27 PM

Regular
1,699 posts

QUOTE(hummels @ Mar 20 2019, 05:20 PM)
the best way to teach children about property investment is through playing Monopoly or Saidina.
Monopoly +1, buy and keep strategy
nexona88
post Mar 20 2019, 08:22 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,830 posts

Yup. Slowly let them learned..
Basic ๐Ÿ™
ViktorJ
post Mar 20 2019, 08:26 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

Self taught. Father thinks that investment = keep money in savings account. He only started putting money in FD only after 70 years old.

Property investment should be taught to kids at a later age, maybe around 18. I would teach my kid(s) other things like compounding interest and equities before property (they are unlikely to be able to flip properties in their age, but can watch the market even while sitting in LRT).
ry8128
post Mar 20 2019, 08:43 PM

โ™ฃJust a noobโ™ฃ
3,382 posts

Better teach them attitude first.. nowadays the kids all like cb..
ManutdGiggs
post Mar 20 2019, 09:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,544 posts

QUOTE(ry8128 @ Mar 20 2019, 08:43 PM)
I agree on tis. V dun need kiren.
TSBjorn1688
post Mar 21 2019, 12:13 AM

Regular
1,924 posts

I learned property investments first from my late grandfather. He always said buy land as per Mark Twain it isn't being made any longer, at his height he owned close to 70acres in Raub and 5 acres in Cameron Highlands. Not a bad feat for someone who was an estate manager. He taught me how to buy land and how to grow your land ownership.

My father on the other hand, the first thing he taught me about property investment is how to change a lightbulb, tap and the basics of home maintenance. His view was no one ever becomes a profitable landlord if you have to keep relying on tradesmen to fix up each time you have tenants that complaints on something amiss. Also some basics of concrete and mortar as well as bricklaying. Admittedly he did not teach me about footings, foundations, beams, columns and pillars soon enough. Beyond that he always thought me there is only one thing about investing in properties, do your homework as diligently as you'd do revision to get an A in A Levels, something at that time I was extremely diligent in as I was dying to get to Britain.

------------------------------------

As for teaching my kids.

First kid, she is 18 years old now, only recently met her after a 15 year hiatus. Can't teach her anything until she improves her goddamn entitled attitude. Definitely the mother's fault she turned out that way.

Second, I will teach her the value of money, then will teach her how to perform some age appropriate home maintenance works. Other things I'd outsource to her 2 grandfathers who knows far more than me on this.
TSBjorn1688
post Mar 21 2019, 12:16 AM

Regular
1,924 posts

Do kids these days even know how to play monopoly I wonder.

QUOTE(ViktorJ @ Mar 20 2019, 08:26 PM)
Self taught. Father thinks that investment = keep money in savings account. He only started putting money in FD only after 70 years old.

Property investment should be taught to kids at a later age, maybe around 18. I would teach my kid(s) other things like compounding interest and equities before property (they are unlikely to be able to flip properties in their age, but can watch the market even while sitting in LRT).
Good to teach financial literacy.

QUOTE(ry8128 @ Mar 20 2019, 08:43 PM)
No kidding.
ManutdGiggs
post Mar 21 2019, 05:27 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,544 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Mar 21 2019, 12:13 AM)
I learned property investments first from my late grandfather. He always said buy land as per Mark Twain it isn't being made any longer, at his height he owned close to 70acres in Raub and 5 acres in Cameron Highlands. Not a bad feat for someone who was an estate manager. He taught me how to buy land and how to grow your land ownership.

My father on the other hand, the first thing he taught me about property investment is how to change a lightbulb, tap and the basics of home maintenance. His view was no one ever becomes a profitable landlord if you have to keep relying on tradesmen to fix up each time you have tenants that complaints on something amiss. Also some basics of concrete and mortar as well as bricklaying. Admittedly he did not teach me about footings, foundations, beams, columns and pillars soon enough. Beyond that he always thought me there is only one thing about investing in properties, do your homework as diligently as you'd do revision to get an A in A Levels, something at that time I was extremely diligent in as I was dying to get to Britain.

------------------------------------

As for teaching my kids.

First kid, she is 18 years old now, only recently met her after a 15 year hiatus. Can't teach her anything until she improves her goddamn entitled attitude. Definitely the mother's fault she turned out that way.

Second, I will teach her the value of money, then will teach her how to perform some age appropriate home maintenance works. Other things I'd outsource to her 2 grandfathers who knows far more than me on this.
Just wonder who taught u to start a new tered for ethg tat came across ur mind. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 PM