Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

1 year old doesn't eat much

views

TSthesoothsayer
post Mar 19 2019, 12:16 PM, updated 5y ago

Enthusiast
926 posts

I have a 1 year old who doesn't eat much.

She takes a little bit of this and that.

Eg. breakfast. I made banana and blueberry pancake. She takes a few small bites. Eats 1/4 banana. Some orange juice, some milk. Done.

This is the same throughout the day.

Can't think of what to cook for her meals anymore. Doesn't like porridge. Loves bread and likes noodles. She can eat plain bread or bread dipped with cream cheese or unsalted peanut butter every day!

If the food is new, she takes a lot, but if you repeat it again within 1-2 weeks, she won't eat much anymore. An example was she was happily devouring pear last week, bought more over the weekend and she refused to open her mouth to even taste it.

Was eating quite well at 8 months. Then started teething and it's been going downhill from there. Still drinks some formula milk, though.

Still very active, doesn't sleep much for a 1 year old. She sleeps about 11 hrs a day vs an average of 14 hours (from online stats).

On one hand, I'm worried about her nutrition, while on the other, she seems to be growing and putting on weight (median range for her age) and very active.

Anyone else experienced something like this with a picky eater?
kohchuup
post Mar 23 2019, 11:14 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

My boy last time the same, around one year old seldom eat, skinny n slow growing up from the chart that dr gave. But dr said some r normal, still within the chart.

My boy can eat rice anytime, sometimes we got to let him watch cartoons n play things to attract him to eat, now 26 months old, eat quite like a normal boy n manage to gained some weight n taller.

Does your girl eat rice? i chopped vege, meat n etc to mix together with rice and soup.

TSthesoothsayer
post Mar 23 2019, 02:03 PM

Enthusiast
926 posts

QUOTE(kohchuup @ Mar 23 2019, 11:14 AM)
My boy last time the same, around one year old seldom eat, skinny n slow growing up from the chart that dr gave. But dr said some r normal, still within the chart.

My boy can eat rice anytime, sometimes we got to let him watch cartoons n play things to attract him to eat, now 26 months old, eat quite like a normal boy n manage to gained some weight n taller.

Does your girl eat rice? i chopped vege, meat n etc to mix together with rice and soup.
No, prefers bread. My last backup plan if she doesn't want to eat the other stuff we cook.
kohchuup
post Mar 24 2019, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

wow only bread... will she eat vege and meat together with bread?
coca^cola
post Mar 24 2019, 07:22 PM

Casual
327 posts

QUOTE(thesoothsayer @ Mar 19 2019, 12:16 PM)
I have a  1 year old who doesn't eat much.

She takes a little bit of this and that.

Eg. breakfast. I made banana and blueberry pancake. She takes a few small bites. Eats 1/4 banana. Some orange juice, some milk. Done.

This is the same throughout the day.

Can't think of what to cook for her meals anymore.  Doesn't like porridge. Loves bread and likes noodles. She can eat plain bread or bread dipped with cream cheese or unsalted peanut butter every day!

If the food is new, she takes a lot, but if you repeat it again within 1-2 weeks, she won't eat much anymore. An example was she was happily devouring pear last week, bought more over the weekend and she refused to open her mouth to even taste it.

Was eating quite well at 8 months. Then started teething and it's been going downhill from there. Still drinks some formula milk, though.

Still very active, doesn't sleep much for a 1 year old. She sleeps about 11 hrs a day vs an average of 14 hours (from online stats).

On one hand, I'm worried about her nutrition, while on the other, she seems to be growing and putting on weight (median range for her age) and very active.

Anyone else experienced something like this with a picky eater?
Teething? Try different texture?
TSthesoothsayer
post Mar 25 2019, 12:29 AM

Enthusiast
926 posts

QUOTE(kohchuup @ Mar 24 2019, 03:25 PM)
wow only bread... will she eat vege and meat together with bread?
She takes a bit of everything new. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Doesn't likes repeated dishes within a short while.

Bread with cream cheese works all the time, though. Loves it for some reason.
TSthesoothsayer
post Mar 25 2019, 12:30 AM

Enthusiast
926 posts

QUOTE(coca^cola @ Mar 24 2019, 07:22 PM)
Teething? Try different texture?
Think so. Only texture left is pureeing everything again.

Doctor suggested to let her get really, really hungry and she'll eat anything.
yoshiki81
post Mar 25 2019, 12:52 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

Nowadays kids dont like to eat..my 4 years old daughter also same...only like ice cream, chocolate, wafel and junk food..seldom eat rice..but she like spageti so every 2 or 3 days i make pasta for her..but as i say...kids nowadays dont like healty food..
coca^cola
post Mar 25 2019, 04:14 PM

Casual
327 posts

QUOTE(thesoothsayer @ Mar 25 2019, 12:30 AM)
Think so. Only texture left is pureeing everything again.

Doctor suggested to let her get really, really hungry and she'll eat anything.
Agree with your doctor. When baby turn 1year old she doesn’t like to eat porridge because is not pureed. So I puréed her chicken but not her porridge. She eat. Maybe you can try but don’t use this method for too long later she doesn’t chew her food.
kohchuup
post Mar 26 2019, 03:18 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(thesoothsayer @ Mar 25 2019, 12:29 AM)
She takes a bit of everything new. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Doesn't likes repeated dishes within a short while.

Bread with cream cheese works all the time, though. Loves it for some reason.
How about fruits, vegetables, meats or etc? she likes to be feed or self eat?

cc980024
post Apr 10 2019, 03:42 PM

Casual
492 posts

My son last time 1yr also like that. Hardly know what he will eat.. the signal you get basically is depends his mood. Try to be creative with the serving, hopefully it works.

My time, I fedup to the extend let him eat soupy rice, as he don't want porridge. Try few rounds again he cover his mouth.. and I can't help, directly feed him rice (purposely cook softer) mix with salmon pieces and broccoli.. aduh.. that he eat! My mom scolded me for feeding the toddler like a grown up. But what to do? Gotta keep trying. When approaching 2yrs old, things get normal again.
kohchuup
post Apr 11 2019, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

1 year old can eat rice edi, some babies stop eating porridge after 6 months, like my boy, he likes to eat rice. dun really like noodles or others kind of food.

rice plus soup and chopped vegetables, meat and etc for bb easier to chew n swallow
Ewa Wa
post Apr 15 2019, 10:53 AM

On my way
662 posts

Same goes to my 2 years old girl.

We are patiently feed her lunch and dinner every day. Take us 1 hour+ to finish the amount we want to feed her.

Mommies huge patience needed when come to feeding ur little one.
TSthesoothsayer
post Apr 15 2019, 11:02 AM

Enthusiast
926 posts

QUOTE(coca^cola @ Mar 25 2019, 04:14 PM)
Agree with your doctor. When baby turn 1year old she doesn’t like to eat porridge because is not pureed. So I puréed her chicken but not her porridge. She eat. Maybe you can try but don’t use this method for too long later she doesn’t chew her food.
QUOTE(kohchuup @ Mar 26 2019, 03:18 PM)
How about fruits, vegetables, meats or etc? she likes to be feed or self eat?
QUOTE(cc980024 @ Apr 10 2019, 03:42 PM)
My son last time 1yr also like that. Hardly know what he will eat.. the signal you get basically is depends his mood. Try to be creative with the serving, hopefully it works.

My time, I fedup to the extend let him eat soupy rice, as he don't want porridge. Try few rounds again he cover his mouth.. and I can't help, directly feed him rice (purposely cook softer) mix with salmon pieces and broccoli.. aduh.. that he eat! My mom scolded me for feeding the toddler like a grown up. But what to do? Gotta keep trying. When approaching 2yrs old, things get normal again.
QUOTE(kohchuup @ Apr 11 2019, 04:49 PM)
1 year old can eat rice edi, some babies stop eating porridge after 6 months, like my boy, he likes to eat rice. dun really like noodles or others kind of food.

rice plus soup and chopped vegetables, meat and etc for bb easier to chew n swallow
QUOTE(Ewa Wa @ Apr 15 2019, 10:53 AM)
Same goes to my 2 years old girl.

We are patiently feed her lunch and dinner every day. Take us 1 hour+ to finish the amount we want to feed her.

Mommies huge patience needed when come to feeding ur little one.
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

About a week ago, she started eating more again. Loves meat these days. Guess she'll have her mood swings and changes in taste buds.

As long as she's active and happy then I think I won't worry too much anymore.
nanashah
post Apr 22 2019, 12:03 PM

Getting Started
212 posts

I would suggest a reward chart.
or 'try new food or taste'' reward chart

parents can be more creative on this smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:33 PM