Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

used 328i buying advise, market price and CKD/CBU

views

TSlekang95
post Mar 18 2019, 06:56 PM, updated 6y ago

8 posts

Hi all Sifu, brother and sister,
I'm currently looking for used 328i year between 2013-2014, and I find that same manufacture year and similar condition can have 40-50k price different from different dealer. And there is CKD and CBU unit. I'm quite confuse right now. Need Sifu advise on how to buy a used BMW.
1. malaysia official unit is CKD or CBU? or none of above?
2. what is the market price right now?
3. is all original BMW have blue and red color marking on the screw to prove it is never been disassembled before? (i saw some screw are pretty new and no scratches but there is no color marking but some does)
4. what other part need to be careful when buying used?
I'm living in JB, if any one are selling your 328i please let me know as well, Thank you so much!

axtray
post Mar 18 2019, 07:56 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 18 2019, 06:56 PM)
Hi all Sifu, brother and sister,
I'm currently looking for used 328i year between 2013-2014, and I find that same manufacture year and similar condition can have 40-50k price different from different dealer. And there is CKD and CBU unit. I'm quite confuse right now. Need Sifu advise on how to buy a used BMW.
1. malaysia official unit is CKD or CBU? or none of above?
2. what is the market price right now?
3. is all original BMW have blue and red color marking on the screw to prove it is never been disassembled before? (i saw some screw are pretty new and no scratches but there is no color marking but some does)
4. what other part need to be careful when buying used?
I'm living in JB, if any one are selling your 328i please let me know as well, Thank you so much!

1) those that are reg-ed are ckd. Ive seen some recon jap specs.
2) depends, 2013 can go as low as 110k (harga body) to 2014 up to 160k
3) not sure on this one. Youre better off sending it to authorised service dealer for a full 360 degree checkup. Personally, id be very careful with the ads that looks too good to be true. Since most of the time, they are. Go into the idrive, vehicle information and check the service history. Can get a pretty good idea on the mileage how well the owner kept up with the service. Also know the differemce between the trim (luxury, sport or msport). Luxury trim tends to have the brown poo looking interior and they generally are cheaper than the sport and msport counterparts so some used car dealer will add excessive non original bodykits to compensate.
4) tempered mileage, accident, service record

6UE5T
post Mar 18 2019, 08:35 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Normal/luxury version is usually around 90k or less while the true M-Sport version is around 120+k. The M-Sport version has smaller steering wheel with blue line trim on the dashboard while the normal one has fatter steering center with either red or silver dashboard trim line.
TSlekang95
post Mar 19 2019, 10:51 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 18 2019, 07:56 PM)
1) those that are reg-ed are ckd. Ive seen some recon jap specs.
2) depends, 2013 can go as low as 110k (harga body) to 2014 up to 160k
3) not sure on this one. Youre better off sending it to authorised service dealer for a full 360 degree checkup. Personally, id be very careful with the ads that looks too good to be true. Since most of the time, they are. Go into the idrive, vehicle information and check the service history. Can get a pretty good idea on the mileage how well the owner kept up with the service. Also know the differemce between the trim (luxury, sport or msport). Luxury trim tends to have the brown poo looking interior and they generally are cheaper than the sport and msport counterparts so some used car dealer will add excessive non original bodykits to compensate.
4) tempered mileage, accident, service record
QUOTE(6UE5T @ Mar 18 2019, 08:35 PM)
Normal/luxury version is usually around 90k or less while the true M-Sport version is around 120+k. The M-Sport version has smaller steering wheel with blue line trim on the dashboard while the normal one has fatter steering center with either red or silver dashboard trim line.
Thank you to all of you for the detailed advise. pretty much appreciate it. still a few questions i have here. notworthy.gif
1. Is every BMW authorised service dealer have the inspection service?
2. Is the different between sport and msport are steering,wheel,bumper only? or there is other value added different beside cosmetic?
3. I saw many 2012/2013 unit with 100,000km on it, so will that consider high mileage or general? priced at 110k negotiable. or is better to get a 70-80k mileage unit for 20k more expensive?

This post has been edited by lekang95: Mar 19 2019, 10:53 AM
axtray
post Mar 19 2019, 11:33 AM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 19 2019, 10:51 AM)
Thank you to all of you for the detailed advise. pretty much appreciate it. still a few questions i have here. notworthy.gif
2. Is the different between sport and msport are steering,wheel,bumper only? or there is other value added different beside cosmetic?
3. I saw many 2012/2013 unit with 100,000km on it, so will that consider high mileage or general? priced at 110k negotiable. or is better to get a 70-80k mileage unit for 20k more expensive?
1) i think the ones that provide servicing and inspection services should be able to do it. Though you will need to call them well in advance to book an appointment i believe. Cannot simply drop in a request for it

2) apart from the bumpers, rims and interior trims, luxury and sport version are pretty much the same if im not mistaken. Msport on the other has different bumper, interior trims, staggered rim setup, better steering wheels (imo) and msport suspension (stiffer).

3) cars that had passed the 100k km mileage, i'd suggest you do a gearbox oil change. Eventhough BMW says it's lifetime, if im not mistaken ZF mentioned in their website that it should be changed around 100k km.

Best option is to look for cars that clocked in about 10000-20000 KM per year. Anything more than that, i'd stay away.

Also i'd stay away from 2012 unit as it is the first year production unit. 2013 and 2014 will be what i'd choose.

Honestly speaking, if you can cough up more cash, why not aim for the 330i.
ctw88
post Mar 19 2019, 12:53 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 19 2019, 10:51 AM)
Regarding No.2, the M-sport offered here has 2 variants, one with M-adaptive suspension (328i and 330i LCI), another with regular M-sport suspension (320d, 320i LCI, 330e)
wkc5657
post Mar 19 2019, 02:16 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 19 2019, 11:33 AM)
330i volumes are quite limited as not too long after, the 330e hybrid got released. But no doubt that the 330i has a brand new B48 engine, compared to the n20 engine in the 328i....
TSlekang95
post Mar 19 2019, 03:55 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 19 2019, 11:33 AM)

Best option is to look for cars that clocked in about 10000-20000 KM per year. Anything more than that, i'd stay away.

Also i'd stay away from 2012 unit as it is the first year production unit. 2013 and 2014 will be what i'd choose.

Will keep this in mind!
but 330 is quite rare on the second hand market, i have never seen one is selling in JB and i do not want to spend so much cash. infect i wonder should i wait for another year for waiting 330i price drop down to get the b48 blink.gif

QUOTE(ctw88 @ Mar 19 2019, 12:53 PM)
Regarding No.2, the M-sport offered here has 2 variants, one with M-adaptive suspension (328i and 330i LCI), another with regular M-sport suspension (320d, 320i LCI, 330e)
really? i thought malaysia do not have M-adaptive suspension on any car model ! then i better look for m-sport 328i.
ctw88
post Mar 19 2019, 04:00 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 19 2019, 03:55 PM)
Will keep this in mind!
but 330 is quite rare on the second hand market, i have never seen one is selling in JB and i do not want to spend so much cash. infect i wonder should i wait for another year for waiting 330i price drop down to get the b48  blink.gif
really? i thought malaysia do not have M-adaptive suspension on any car model ! then i better look for m-sport 328i.
Yes. The absorber for 328i msport and 330i LCI msport is different from the rest.
axtray
post Mar 19 2019, 04:56 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 19 2019, 03:55 PM)
Will keep this in mind!
but 330 is quite rare on the second hand market, i have never seen one is selling in JB and i do not want to spend so much cash. infect i wonder should i wait for another year for waiting 330i price drop down to get the b48  blink.gif
up to you. there are pros and cons i guess?

the b48 is a closed deck engine with pretty high tech stuff running the cooling system. The vanos which was always located at the front for the N and M series engines, are now at the back, so in the event if you need to do repair or preventive maintenance service, the engine will most likely needs to be taken out of the car. As the engine itself is still relatively new, i haven't heard any horror stories though. If you're planning to flip cars, shouldn't be a problem?

I was looking for a 328i myself earlier this year, with budget set about the same as you. But i would suggest that you stay away from the by the road side used car dealer, unless they allow you to bring the car to authorize service center for a 360 degree inspection and confirm on the mileage.

This post has been edited by axtray: Mar 19 2019, 04:57 PM
axtray
post Mar 19 2019, 05:09 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Mar 19 2019, 02:16 PM)
330i volumes are quite limited as not too long after, the 330e hybrid got released. But no doubt that the 330i has a brand new B48 engine, compared to the n20 engine in the 328i....
correct. and they're still pretty pricey on the market unfortunately. a 2015 model with low mileage price can be pretty close to the 2017 330e.

Its unfortunate that after the 330e launch BMW immediately took it out from the market as soon as they sold off the remaining units. I remembered in 2015, the price dropped from 309k to about 267k. Unlike the current 5 series where they are still selling the 530i alongside 530e. maybe because at the 5 series price point, potential buyers can easily absorb the 45k premium difference.

TSlekang95
post Mar 19 2019, 07:34 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 19 2019, 04:56 PM)
up to you. there are pros and cons i guess?

the b48 is a closed deck engine with pretty high tech stuff running the cooling system. The vanos which was always located at the front for the N and M series engines, are now at the back, so in the event if you need to do repair or preventive maintenance service, the engine will most likely needs to be taken out of the car. As the engine itself is still relatively new, i haven't heard any horror stories though. If you're planning to flip cars, shouldn't be a problem?

I was looking for a 328i myself earlier this year, with budget set about the same as you. But i would suggest that you stay away from the by the road side used car dealer, unless they allow you to bring the car to authorize service center for a 360 degree inspection and confirm on the mileage.
so i guess this vanos is the part that i should pray it doesn't spoil?haha
but n20 still consider quite reliable right?i do plan to go down to track tongue.gif
most of the dealer i went are allow me to do inspection outside even need not pay booking fees, just that they price the good condition car at a very high side.
most of the cheaper one are modded exterior unit, don't should i consider that or not.
wkc5657
post Mar 20 2019, 09:07 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 19 2019, 05:09 PM)
Unlike the current 5 series where they are still selling the 530i alongside 530e. maybe because at the 5 series price point, potential buyers can easily absorb the 45k premium difference.
The situation with the 5 series was due to the fact that car makes ran out of hybrid quotas. So now mostly are non hybrid models on sale, hybrid models usually ran out stock really quickly as the price is more attractive due to incentives.

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 19 2019, 07:34 PM)
so i guess this vanos is the part that i should pray it doesn't spoil?haha
but n20 still consider quite reliable right?i do plan to go down to track tongue.gif
most of the dealer i went are allow me to do inspection outside even need not pay booking fees, just that they price the good condition car at a very high side.
most of the cheaper one are modded exterior unit, don't should i consider that or not.
Vanos is like the vvt but BMW style. Pretty reliable provided you don't cheap out on good quality engine oil and at least ron97.

But if major seal require change, kaput la, hang out engine, but most rear wheel driven cars are like that.
TSlekang95
post Mar 20 2019, 03:40 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Mar 20 2019, 09:07 AM)
Vanos is like the vvt but BMW style. Pretty reliable provided you don't cheap out on good quality engine oil and at least ron97.

But if major seal require change, kaput la, hang out engine, but most rear wheel driven cars are like that.
ill definitely feed my beast with good food devil.gif
So do you manage to get yours 328i also?
wkc5657
post Mar 20 2019, 03:44 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 20 2019, 03:40 PM)

So do you manage to get yours 328i also?
Neh, i can't afford one. Only manage to sat in one and test driven the 5 series once for the fun of it.
TSlekang95
post Mar 22 2019, 03:27 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Mar 20 2019, 03:44 PM)
Neh, i can't afford one. Only manage to sat in one and test driven the 5 series once for the fun of it.
Haha, so how its feel like driving a 5 series? the used 5 series actually similar price with 3 series, i was thinking to buy 5 series instead as a family care and change out the old camry. rclxub.gif
wkc5657
post Mar 24 2019, 11:15 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(lekang95 @ Mar 22 2019, 03:27 PM)
Haha, so how its feel like driving a 5 series? the used 5 series actually similar price with 3 series, i was thinking to buy 5 series instead as a family care and change out the old camry.  rclxub.gif
It was more than 5 years ago, the prefacelifted f10 520i. Initial impression was that the car drove quite solidly, and the progress was swift. The 528i would have been even more impressive i presume. But i remembered the most annoying feature was the variable ratio steering rack. Just don't like the steering ratio changed when steering at slow speed during parking.

Go check out the new camry, seriously something worth considering. Even mazda engineer say this car is the benchmark when it comes to balance between handling and comfort, not the 3 series. The badge maybe still old school uncle, but the drive and refinement is very unexpectedly good.
ayamxxx
post Mar 28 2019, 04:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,073 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Mar 24 2019, 11:15 PM)
It was more than 5 years ago, the prefacelifted f10 520i. Initial impression was that the car drove quite solidly, and the progress was swift. The 528i would have been even more impressive i presume. But i remembered the most annoying feature was the variable ratio steering rack. Just don't like the steering ratio changed when steering at slow speed during parking.

Go check out the new camry, seriously something worth considering. Even mazda engineer say this car is the benchmark when it comes to balance between handling and comfort, not the 3 series. The badge maybe still old school uncle, but the drive and refinement is very unexpectedly good.
new camry with an old version engine?
still UMW pricing it on higher price eventhough skip the new engine features on our market?

wkc5657
post Mar 28 2019, 05:21 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Mar 28 2019, 04:22 PM)
new camry with an old version engine?
still UMW pricing it on higher price eventhough skip the new engine features on our market?
Yes, there are reservations about whether it is value for money pertaining to the points your mentioned. But a good product is a good product, 90% of buyers don't really care so much about the technical details like many here do. This camry is really a very balanced car handling wise, just go try it if got the chance.

Not saying that this new camry is the ultimate driving machine, was just a suggestion for consideration. The optima GT is also one alternative, but much more people put of by the badge.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:18 AM