Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Knocking Sound with Petronas Primax 95

views

TSSportyHandling
post Mar 15 2019, 11:07 PM, updated 5y ago

Casual
421 posts

Would like to find out if there is anyone who experienced your vehicle's engine showing a knocking sound during acceleration with Petronas Primax 95 fuel.

In my case, the knocking sound only happens with one car, the Proton Preve Turbo. It doesn't happen with other cars which include Ford Focus and Mazda CX5.

I am certain that it is fuel related because I hands been driving the Proton Preve Turbo for almost 6 years now. It first started to show knocking after about 1 year from new with Petronas fuel. At first I thought something wasn't right but after I switched to Caltex, the engine knocking sound was gone. I drove the car solely on Caltex for about 3 years and there was not a hint of the engine knocking. But lately I got a company petrol card so I started to switch to Petronas again. The moment I switched to Petronas, the knocking sound came back.

I suspect there is something with the Petronas fuel that is not very suitable for the Turbo engine of the Proton Preve. There is no issue at all with Caltex fuel .

Is there any other owner who made the same observation and if yes, what is your car? Fwiw there is no difference with the new Primax with Pro-drive formula as shown in another thread here. The knocking sound is still there.
markblurberry
post Mar 15 2019, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

Have been a Caltex owner for 10 years now, it that good. I had knocking on Shell and Petronas
jetblast
post Mar 15 2019, 11:28 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

Need to use ron97 to avoid knocking?
Jedi
post Mar 15 2019, 11:32 PM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

Why u use shit euro2 fuel in the beginning?
Only Bhp and caltex

All others don't touch. All tongkat from gomen. Such as gomen ministers, Jusa C so on and forth.
rhenadal
post Mar 15 2019, 11:34 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

I vouch for bhp
Thrust
post Mar 16 2019, 05:53 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

QUOTE(Jedi @ Mar 15 2019, 11:32 PM)
Why u use shit euro2 fuel in the beginning?
Only Bhp and caltex

All others don't touch. All tongkat from gomen. Such as gomen ministers, Jusa C so on and forth.
I've read BHP fuel are of Euro 3 to 5 grade depending on batches imported from Singapore oil refinery. However, I've not heard about Caltex having fuel better than Euro2. Can share where you get the info? Thanks
mr_geforce
post Mar 16 2019, 08:34 AM

Getting Started
240 posts

i am driving preve turbo too. that day fill up bhp ron 97 n after that left 2 bar n fill up petronas 95 primax. there is no weird sound heard when using bhp ron 97. there is some sound when using petronas 95
jamespaul
post Mar 16 2019, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
211 posts

All placebo la. Show video proof of sound, I will believe. BHP is almost Euro 3, when the batch is good, Euro 3 when not so good, Euro 2.

There are only 2 top tier fuels, Caltex and Shell
speedy3210
post Mar 16 2019, 10:46 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(SportyHandling @ Mar 15 2019, 11:07 PM)
Would like to find out if there is anyone who experienced your vehicle's engine showing a knocking sound during acceleration with Petronas Primax 95 fuel.

In my case, the knocking sound only happens with one car, the Proton Preve Turbo. It doesn't happen with other cars which include Ford Focus and Mazda CX5.

I am certain that it is fuel related because I hands been driving the Proton Preve Turbo for almost 6 years now. It first started to show knocking after about 1 year from new with Petronas fuel. At first I thought something wasn't right but after I switched to Caltex, the engine knocking sound was gone. I drove the car solely on Caltex for about 3 years and there was not a hint of the engine knocking. But lately I got a company petrol card so I started to switch to Petronas again. The moment I switched to Petronas, the knocking sound came back.

I suspect there is something with the Petronas fuel that is not very suitable for the Turbo engine of the Proton Preve. There is no issue at all with Caltex fuel .

Is there any other owner who made the same observation and if yes, what is your car? Fwiw there is no difference with the new Primax with Pro-drive formula as shown in another thread here. The knocking sound is still there.
I dun face any prolonged knocking with petronas fuel, but it somehow raised the working temp on my temp gauge. Just slightly more (say 2.5 notches) than any other brand of petrol (shell, caltex, bhp, petron at 2 notches) consistently and the effect is gone when i switched brand.

not sure if it is coz of my timing advance setting or what. std proton setting is 5deg btdc, i was told. i think mine is at 8deg btdc or more, set by my mech.

my car is wira 1.6.
Ncp93 P
post Sep 24 2019, 02:00 PM

Probation
7 posts

Hi dear all sifu, I have a vios year 2012 NCP93 recently experience engine knocking issue usually during acceleration between 2000 rpm or higher sometime it sound "cluck" "cluck" "cluck" especially when I try push my pedal as fast or hard as I could. I ever sent to umw to check and the technician said is due to carbon build up can try decarnonise. He also mentioned my car use Timing chain to where he cant retard or adjust anything due to the use of timing chain.

After decarnonise it goes pretty well for few weeks without any knocking sound but the knocking sound does come back after few weeks. Before sent to umw I already use fuel ron97 Shell but still same. Does changing timing chain will help?
wkc5657
post Sep 24 2019, 04:55 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Ncp93 @ Sep 24 2019, 02:00 PM)
Hi dear all sifu, I have a vios year 2012 NCP93 recently experience engine knocking issue usually during acceleration between 2000 rpm or higher sometime it sound "cluck" "cluck" "cluck" especially when I try push my pedal as fast or hard as I could.  I ever sent to umw to check and the technician said is due to carbon build up can try decarnonise.  He also mentioned my car use Timing chain to where he cant retard or adjust anything due to the use of timing chain.

After decarnonise it goes pretty well for few weeks without any knocking sound but the knocking sound does come back after few weeks.  Before sent to umw I already use fuel ron97 Shell but still same.  Does changing timing chain will help?
Your mechanic is explaining it wrongly to you. He just doesn't know and/or doesn't have the hardware/software to tune your car.

The FOC way that you can DIY. You can let your car reset everything by disconnecting the negative terminal for at least 15 minutes. To make sure complete drain of reserve current, turn on your headlights (should either lit up brief moment or totally none). Then reconnect back, idle the car for 10 minutes, drive the car out for 15-30 minutes, see how the engine reconditions itself again.

If you want a little more information, buy a cheap bluetooth ELM 327 OBD2 reader, download any high rated free OBD2 scanner app, pair it with the smartphone, check for any stored codes. Whatever codes displayed, google it online.

Can be alot of other reasons, you can post your query at the vios car club for better advice :
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4358245
Jescon
post Sep 24 2019, 05:22 PM

Casual
452 posts

I had similar experience with my Proton Gen 2 (2004). But in my case, the effect was immediately... I used until finish 1 tank, then I changed it back to Caltex.
jamespaul
post Sep 25 2019, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

Please share the video recording of knocking sound.

Ncp93 P
post Sep 25 2019, 09:46 PM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Sep 24 2019, 04:55 PM)
Your mechanic is explaining it wrongly to you. He just doesn't know and/or doesn't have the hardware/software to tune your car.

The FOC way that you can DIY. You can let your car reset everything by disconnecting the negative terminal for at least 15 minutes. To make sure complete drain of reserve current, turn on your headlights (should either lit up brief moment or totally none). Then reconnect back, idle the car for 10 minutes, drive the car out for 15-30 minutes, see how the engine reconditions itself again.

If you want a little more information, buy a cheap bluetooth ELM 327 OBD2 reader, download any high rated free OBD2 scanner app, pair it with the smartphone, check for any stored codes. Whatever codes displayed, google it online.

Can be alot of other reasons, you can post your query at the vios car club for better advice :
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4358245
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention actually during that UMW technician decarnonise I ever told him to reset my ECU too, does it similar to what you mentioned about your mention of disconnecting the negative terminal for at least 15 minutes? Or both different thing? Sorry quite noobie here sad.gif

You mentioned to buy a cheap Bluetooth RLM 327 OBD2 reader this has to plug to where?

wkc5657
post Sep 26 2019, 02:54 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Ncp93 @ Sep 25 2019, 09:46 PM)
Thanks for your reply.  I forgot to mention actually during that UMW technician decarnonise I ever told him to reset my ECU too, does it similar to what you mentioned about your mention of disconnecting the negative terminal for at least 15 minutes?  Or both different thing?  Sorry quite noobie here sad.gif

You mentioned to buy a cheap Bluetooth RLM 327 OBD2 reader this has to plug to where?
Disconnect battery is one way, the other way is use OBD scan tool hardware to reset it. Whether they do it is hard to say.

You plug the device into the OBD2 port around the void area under the dashboard. Stick your head into the driver footrest area, look towards the bottom part of the dashboard. It looks kind of like a HDMI port, just 10x larger.

This person has a guide, i think same model as yours :
http://mynewvios.blogspot.com/2013/02/obd-...e-my-style.html
Ncp93 P
post Sep 26 2019, 09:38 PM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Sep 26 2019, 02:54 PM)
Disconnect battery is one way, the other way is use OBD scan tool hardware to reset it. Whether they do it is hard to say.

You plug the device into the OBD2 port around the void area under the dashboard. Stick your head into the driver footrest area, look towards the bottom part of the dashboard. It looks kind of like a HDMI port, just 10x larger.

This person has a guide, i think same model as yours :
http://mynewvios.blogspot.com/2013/02/obd-...e-my-style.html
Ok bro many thanks for the help, I shall try to disconnect the battery and shall perform as your recommended way to see how it goes before try the bluetooth. Usually if disconnect battery works(means total engine knocking sound gone) does it immediately eliminate the engine knocking sound or shall have to wait for few days to feel the result?

Last few months I do changed new battery but for sure it does disconnect the old battery and install the new battery, do this time disconnect battery help? I'll try anyway.

biggrin.gif
wkc5657
post Sep 27 2019, 11:50 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Ncp93 @ Sep 26 2019, 09:38 PM)
Ok bro many thanks for the help, I shall try to disconnect the battery and shall perform as your recommended way to see how it goes before try the bluetooth.  Usually if disconnect battery works(means total engine knocking sound gone) does it immediately eliminate the engine knocking sound or shall have to wait for few days to feel the result?
Last few months I do changed new battery but for sure it does disconnect the old battery and install the new battery, do this time disconnect battery help?  I'll try anyway.
biggrin.gif
Without really experiencing how the car sounds/responses, it is hard to really pin point the actual issue with your car.

Knocking can be from multiple sources. Suggest that you bring to a good reputable mechanic to have it checked out, as i myself am not a mechanic/expert.

Do head to the vios car club for to query for more detailed advice from real users of this car.
ms25 P
post Oct 20 2019, 11:39 PM

Probation
1 posts

Same here! Switched to Petronas 97 last month, when I accelerate hardly, I can hear the engine and exhaust got "boom boom" sound, 2-3 times.

Normal driving is fine.

After that I switched back to Caltex, the knocking went away.

My car is BMW F10 Turbo.

kidmad
post Oct 21 2019, 07:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,370 posts

QUOTE(Ncp93 @ Sep 24 2019, 02:00 PM)
Hi dear all sifu, I have a vios year 2012 NCP93 recently experience engine knocking issue usually during acceleration between 2000 rpm or higher sometime it sound "cluck" "cluck" "cluck" especially when I try push my pedal as fast or hard as I could.  I ever sent to umw to check and the technician said is due to carbon build up can try decarnonise.  He also mentioned my car use Timing chain to where he cant retard or adjust anything due to the use of timing chain.

After decarnonise it goes pretty well for few weeks without any knocking sound but the knocking sound does come back after few weeks.  Before sent to umw I already use fuel ron97 Shell but still same.  Does changing timing chain will help?
Service in umw or outside workshop? Engine oil used all these while?
abubin
post Oct 21 2019, 10:01 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

Turbos usually have higher compression ratio. Which means it needs RON97 for optimum performance. You have been using RON95 for so long and it is starting to show from the engine as the knocking sensor is unable to work in combination with other sensors to adjust for the lower RON. Try RON97 and if it "cure" the engine knocking then you will need to continue using 97. Else you can find out one by one which part is not functioning properly and need to be changed. Perhaps even an engine overhaul.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:25 PM