Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

2nd Hand Cars or Brand New?

views

TSxajimx
post Mar 12 2019, 05:25 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
198 posts

Hey sifus,

Would like to get an honest and descriptive opinion/suggestions on either getting a brand new car or a used one.

The following is my situation:

I have a 2013 Jazz Hybrid that I've paid 5 years, with 4 years remaining. Just passed 100k mark. It just got to me the other day that I feel like the hybrid technology could be obsolete one day. Nowadays engine technology is getting more and more fuel efficient making them not too far off from hybrid tech. So I feel like it could be a little burden to maintain in the future? e.g: replacing the hybrid battery etc.

Good timing is that my mum-in-laws 10y.o car broken down and she's willing to take over the Jazz. Im thinking of either getting a used>2014 Mazda CX-5 or any brand new ones along the same body type like Honda HRV? I'm willing to fork out <RM1200 monthly. The lesser the better of course. I have a wife and kid, and probably expanding the family a little bit more hehe so spacious cars are usually more ideal.

How's the risk for 2nd hand cars? Are the mileage stated believable? Are they easily tweaked? How's the maintenance cost for Mazda cars?
MsPopcorn
post Mar 12 2019, 05:48 PM

Popcorn..Yummy!
808 posts

since u can afford RM1200, my advise is to give a new car.

u afraid a 2013 jazz hybrid battery might break down, a 2014 mazda cx5 might break down too.

depends which used car dealer that u deal with, some idiots will adjust the mileage, even a digital type. Anyway, u can check the mileage/service record from the mazda sc, then u'll know whether its adjusted. good luck bro

This post has been edited by MsPopcorn: Mar 12 2019, 05:48 PM
TSxajimx
post Mar 12 2019, 06:53 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

QUOTE(MsPopcorn @ Mar 12 2019, 05:48 PM)
since u can afford RM1200, my advise is to give a new car.

u afraid a 2013 jazz hybrid battery might break down, a 2014 mazda cx5 might break down too.

depends which used car dealer that u deal with, some idiots will adjust the mileage, even a digital type. Anyway, u can check the mileage/service record from the mazda sc, then u'll know whether its adjusted. good luck bro
Hey I appreciate the reply!

Yea true but I feel like to compare the maintenance of a hybrid and a generic petrol car like the CX5 would probably cost lesser?

Ah I didn't think of that, thanks for the tips! You have any recommendations if a brand new one?
SleeplessEyes
post Mar 12 2019, 07:15 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

I don't think hybrids will be obsolete. Infact your Jazz is not the full hybrid either. Still depends on the engine most of the time to move the car.

Furthermore if you claim that hybrids will be obsolete then why Honda release City Hybrid. And why do car manufacturers create plug in hybrids.

Coming back to your question: why buy 2nd hand?
You don't need to go through new car depreciation value as a 1st owner.

If it were me I would definitely go for 2nd hand.
Anyway Mazda is a Japanese car. What could terribly horribly go wrong with old Mazdas'.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Mar 12 2019, 07:18 PM
axtray
post Mar 12 2019, 08:57 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Mar 12 2019, 07:15 PM)
I don't think hybrids will be obsolete. Infact your Jazz is not the full hybrid either. Still depends on the engine most of the time to move the car.

Furthermore if you claim that hybrids will be obsolete then why Honda release City Hybrid. And why do car manufacturers create plug in hybrids.

Anyway Mazda is a Japanese car. What could terribly horribly go wrong with old Mazdas'.
Yes! But too bad the most will be afraid to buy 1 due to

- potential accident car
- tempered mileage (very likely from most used car dealers)

TSxajimx
post Mar 12 2019, 09:00 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Mar 12 2019, 07:15 PM)

Hmm I can't be too sure, my train of thought : they even came up w new tech for their hybrid. I'm worried that previous gen hybrids will be outdated in the long run. I imagine by then (10-15years time) it's gonna be a little too costly to maintain..

I always have stigma about 2nd hand cars. Because you never know how previous owner took care of it. But I guess with better knowledge you can probably advise what to look after? Yea that's why I stick w Japanese made. I'm eyeing on the CH-R too but a bit over the budget for me heheh thanks!
TSxajimx
post Mar 12 2019, 09:03 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 12 2019, 08:57 PM)

- potential accident car
Agreed! I don't know how to inspect either if I'm at a dealer. The other day I came across a post in here. A vios owner who had his/her car totaled due to an accident. A few months later the person stumbled upon a mudah ad with his/her plate number still on the car. 'Refurbished' with 'accident free' claim lol
axtray
post Mar 12 2019, 09:26 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(xajimx @ Mar 12 2019, 09:03 PM)
Agreed! I don't know how to inspect either if I'm at a dealer. The other day I came across a post in here. A vios owner who had his/her car totaled due to an accident. A few months later the person stumbled upon a mudah ad with his/her plate number still on the car. 'Refurbished' with 'accident free' claim lol
Yes. it's quite common to buy car's very cheap, find someone to somehow repair it and make it look like accident free on the outside and then sell it off like the accident never happened in the first place

Mind you, it is possible for a repaired car to be just as good if the repair was done thoroughly, but chances of that happening when it is being resold, lets just forget about it. Most dealers will spend the min amount repairing them.

Plenty of ways to test,

1- hard braking. drive it at around 40-60 and brake hard. if the car somehow swerves or unstable, means that the something is wrong with the chassis.
2- look under the bonnets and see if you can spot any weldings. Most car repair shop will just chop off the accident part and weld the part from a half cut.
3- bring a mechanic together with you to inspect
4- for my case, i know very well the models and specs available for the car that i wanted. If somehow the car dealer is selling the car with bodykits that shouldn't be on the car itself (let alone advertise it as a completely different model either on purpose or due to ignorant), just stay away.
5- some cars like bimmers, you'll be able to actually check the original mileage inside the car itself eventhough it's being tempered. Best way is of course to bring to the original authorized dealer to inspect.

JZenith
post Mar 13 2019, 11:11 AM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

QUOTE(xajimx @ Mar 12 2019, 05:25 PM)
Hey sifus,

Would like to get an honest and descriptive opinion/suggestions on either getting a brand new car or a used one.

I have a 2013 Jazz Hybrid that I've paid 5 years, with 4 years remaining. Just passed 100k mark. It just got to me the other day that I feel like the hybrid technology could be obsolete one day. Nowadays engine technology is getting more and more fuel efficient making them not too far off from hybrid tech. So I feel like it could be a little burden to maintain in the future? e.g: replacing the hybrid battery etc.

Good timing is that my mum-in-laws 10y.o car broken down and she's willing to take over the Jazz. Im thinking of either getting a used>2014 Mazda CX-5 or any brand new ones along the same body type like Honda HRV? I'm willing to fork out <RM1200 monthly. The lesser the better of course. I have a wife and kid, and probably expanding the family a little bit more hehe so spacious cars are usually more ideal.

How's the risk for 2nd hand cars? Are the mileage stated believable? Are they easily tweaked? How's the maintenance cost for Mazda cars?
if you can pay for 1.2k get a new car bro, warranty included and sleep well every night.
2nd hand you pay for 1.2k monthly but got risk need to dig out few hundreds to repair, not to mention the car need to stay in the workshop and unable to sleep every night thinking whats next to repair.
my opinion on 2nd hand car, mileage cannot be proven true or false except you have the full service record from official svc centre.

maintenance for mazda cars is just the same like honda or toyota these days, H and T's parts price is vry vry expensive fron official svc centre no difference with
hyundai / mazda, (compared with my colleague's 2017 vios with 2016 mazda 3), honda wise, theres a thread complaining honda svc centre

if you prever SUV's like CX5, consider x70?
19 Degree South
post Mar 13 2019, 11:36 AM

Regular
1,480 posts

New with warranty for peace of mind! New car smells better! Lol!
TSxajimx
post Mar 13 2019, 01:35 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 12 2019, 09:26 PM)
Yes. it's quite common to buy car's very cheap, find someone to somehow repair it and make it look like accident free on the outside and then sell it off like the accident never happened in the first place

Mind you, it is possible for a repaired car to be just as good if the repair was done thoroughly, but chances of that happening when it is being resold, lets just forget about it. Most dealers will spend the min amount repairing them.

Plenty of ways to test,

1- hard braking. drive it at around 40-60 and brake hard. if the car somehow swerves or unstable, means that the something is wrong with the chassis.
2- look under the bonnets and see if you can spot any weldings. Most car repair shop will just chop off the accident part and weld the part from a half cut.
3-  bring a mechanic together with you to inspect
4- for my case, i know very well the models and specs available for the car that i wanted. If somehow the car dealer is selling the car with bodykits that shouldn't be on the car itself (let alone advertise it as a completely different model either on purpose or due to ignorant), just stay away.
5- some cars like bimmers, you'll be able to actually check the original mileage inside the car itself eventhough it's being tempered. Best way is of course to bring to the original authorized dealer to inspect.
thank you so much for your tips! will give a heads up for these steps for testing.
have you had any experience with car dealers? they don't mind if you bring in your own mechanic and test the car out?
my friend mentioned that if it's possible to find a direct owner, it's better.

QUOTE(JZenith @ Mar 13 2019, 11:11 AM)
if you can pay for 1.2k get a new car bro, warranty included and sleep well every night.
2nd hand you pay for 1.2k monthly but got risk need to dig out few hundreds to repair, not to mention the car need to stay in the workshop and unable to sleep every night thinking whats next to repair.
my opinion on 2nd hand car, mileage cannot be proven true or false except you have the full service record from official svc centre.

maintenance for mazda cars is just the same like honda or toyota these days, H and T's parts price is vry vry expensive fron official svc centre no difference with
hyundai / mazda, (compared with my colleague's 2017 vios with 2016 mazda 3), honda wise, theres a thread complaining honda svc centre

if you prever SUV's like CX5, consider x70?
thanks for you input! true that, but what do you think if I deal directly with an owner?
I imagine direct owners would probably won't mind if I bring a mechanic friend over, flip through the owner's service book etc..
I'm just thinking committing to 9 years for loan is a bit of a burden. 5 years macam ngam hehe so that's why i'm considering used cars.

ahh ok, generally I think Japanese made shouldn't be any problem. My mum's polo had to send back to SC for gearbox issue. needed to wait 2 months for parts sweat.gif
continental is big no for me for the time being.

I came across a few forums about the X70 they say infotainment has some slight issues? but i gotta give thumbs up to the aesthetics and finishing i think. damn Geely doing good job with it thumbup.gif

QUOTE(19 Degree South @ Mar 13 2019, 11:36 AM)
New with warranty for peace of mind! New car smells better! Lol!
hahaha that's a very short and concise elaboration. yea i gotta agree the new car smell is the best..i think i sort of have a fetish for it. but they say it's chemical and not good though lol.

unitron
post Mar 13 2019, 02:29 PM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

Risk depends on many factors lah... age, model, how previous owner maintain, accident... need to check and then also some element of luck
Mileage stated can be tampered with of course. So always assume engine need complete overhaul regardless and budget accordingly

Of my 3 cars... 2 are used. For the used cars, 1 of them is now 14 yrs old and another 9 yrs old. So far so good.

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 12 2019, 09:26 PM)
Macam mana ? connect scan tool to the OBDII port ?
amad108
post Mar 14 2019, 12:00 PM

too much of something is bad enough
998 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Mar 12 2019, 08:57 PM)

- potential accident car
Can check their service record at any service center, just give car plate number or chassis number.. they have all the records when it being serviced, date and what mileage it being serviced
ah_suknat
post Mar 14 2019, 07:45 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

Wait for x50...
enteraname1
post Mar 14 2019, 09:50 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(unitron @ Mar 13 2019, 02:29 PM)
Risk depends on many factors lah... age, model, how previous owner maintain, accident...  need to check and then also some element of luck
Mileage stated can be tampered with of course. So always assume engine need complete overhaul regardless and budget accordingly

Of my 3 cars... 2 are used. For the used cars, 1 of them is now 14 yrs old and another 9 yrs old.  So far so good.
where to look for second hand car bruh?
axtray
post Mar 14 2019, 10:34 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(xajimx @ Mar 13 2019, 01:35 PM)
thank you so much for your tips! will give a heads up for these steps for testing.
have you had any experience with car dealers? they don't mind if you bring in your own mechanic and test the car out?
my friend mentioned that if it's possible to find a direct owner, it's better.
You can always bring a mechanic with you. And yes direct owner is better.

But there are used car dealers that are honest. You just have to find one that is.

When I was looking for mine, I've seen myself where the cars mileage was tempered and it was full of body kits when the model shouldn't come with one. Didn't even bother to check further.

QUOTE(unitron @ Mar 13 2019, 02:29 PM)
Obd is one of them I guess. But my method was simpler. I just checked the service history of the car that's in the I drive and saw the last service was in 2016 and the mileage was 160k+. The dash mileage on the other hand is showing 60k ish.

If I'm not mistaken you can also access the hidden menu. But I didn't manage to try and confirm using this method.

QUOTE(amad108 @ Mar 14 2019, 12:00 PM)
Can check their service record at any service center, just give car plate number or chassis number.. they have all the records when it being serviced, date and what mileage it being serviced
Yes, though Why bother doing so when you can quickly check the service history in the car itself to get a rough idea whether it is good or not.

This post has been edited by axtray: Mar 14 2019, 10:36 PM
Bjorn1688
post Mar 14 2019, 11:34 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

Hey sifus,

My mum drives a 2012 Jazz Hybrid (it was a Japan CBU car) still maintained at a Honda service centre. Generally problem free car. Battery is around 50% depleted right now, to replace it is around RM4500 inclusive of labour. Other than that most parts in it are fairly similar to the non-hybrid versions. Now that her's is fully paid off she intends to just keep driving it till it could no longer be fixed if something went wrong with it.

If your car is on finance for 9 years, at the 5th year you most likely will need to top up some money to get rid of the car unless of course you intend to give your MIL the car for FOC.

A 5 year old Mazda CX5 would have issues you'd need to address too, probably would cost more than the Jazz to put right.

Mileage? You can expect that it had been rolled back by at least 50%

Maintenance for Mazdas aren't the cheapest and SUVs are more expensive to maintain than sedans/hatchbacks with the culprit being the tyres and brake pads.

unitron
post Mar 15 2019, 09:12 AM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

QUOTE(enteraname1 @ Mar 14 2019, 09:50 PM)
where to look for second hand car bruh?
Mudah.my
Carlist
newspaper add
facebook marketplace
motor trader
used car dealership..

Cannot be dunno these right ? doh.gif
Deja Vu
post Mar 15 2019, 11:11 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

Hey sifus,

Used cars sold out there have almost always got their mileage tempered. Personally and especially when you're looking at a 5yr old CX-5, look for units with service history and call up Mazda if its possible to verify the last service visit.

The CX-5 and Mazda's Skyactive drivetrain is still considered as a relatively new to our market. That said, OEM and aftermarket parts are not as common as other makes, so at least until there more of them on the streets, be prepared to fork out more on Mazda original parts even though you can skimp by going to non-Mazda SC.

You can also post your concerns in the CX-5 owners club forum before making your decision.

kelvin_87
post Mar 15 2019, 05:11 PM

Casual
312 posts

I bought my new car many years back and live with regret.

If I am going buy a car again in near future, I would choose 2nd hand car!
My thought at below:

This post has been edited by kelvin_87: Mar 15 2019, 05:12 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:01 PM