Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> StashAway Malaysia, Multi-Region ETF at your fingertips!

views

polarzbearz
post Oct 9 2020, 11:40 PM

Blogger @ RinggitFreedom.com
4,548 posts

QUOTE(myownworld @ Oct 9 2020, 11:00 AM)
Hi guys just a post with my experience: Invested since March 2019. Stopped the monthly DCA for about 6 months due to cashflow issues.

I have 2 portfolios, 10% SRI and 36% SRI.
The performance of both portfolios thus far are quite decent, but I feel that the reward for the 36% SRI portfolio is not commensurate with the risk taken compared to the more conservative portfolio. All values and charts quoted below are in USD.

SRI 10%:
TWR: 18.04%
MWR: 17.95%

user posted image

SRI 36%:
TWR: 21.59%
MWR: 31.07%

user posted image
Interesting... mine's opposite of yours - the higher risk ones performed so much better than the lower risk portfolio

Portfolio 1: Test the water from Dec 2018, and consistent DCA from Jul '19 onwards
SRI: 30%
TWR: 31.53% (USD 33.48%)
MWR: 42.16% (USD 46.65%)
user posted image

Portfolio 2: One-off on Dec 2019
SRI: 14%
TWR/MWR: 9.82% (USD 9.55%)
user posted image

Should've lump sum during the March '20 dip sad.gif
polarzbearz
post Oct 13 2020, 10:32 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Oct 13 2020, 05:06 PM)
My 36% got +48% return. If you wanna "lock" in profit, just reduce risk, dont bother withdrawing and pay currency exchange fees.Realize profit,
I'm actually thinking whether if I should "lock" in profit first and readjust maybe at later date (after US election?), but also feel that for long term (>10 years) maybe it doesn't matter hmm.gif

This post has been edited by polarzbearz: Oct 13 2020, 10:32 PM
polarzbearz
post Oct 29 2020, 06:36 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(Ziet Inv @ Oct 26 2020, 12:03 PM)
I am investing into US stocks via Maybank and god I have to say it is a pain in the crack to pay USD 25 per transaction. (not to mention the fee for holding the dividend)

I've recently got approved FSMOne (SG) account and their platform is perfect for what I'm looking for (multi-markets Stocks/ETFs!), about USD 9 per transaction (brokerage), and FSM is part of iFast Corp. which is listed on SGX, their website stated that at event of default, they will appoint a new manager/broker to take over the fund - hence the security.

I've not yet funded that account (I'm waiting to open my CIMB SG account), then I can proceed to wire from CIMB MY to CIMB SG and proceed  biggrin.gif
May want to consider TradeStation Global (USD 0.007 per Share, min. ~USD 1.5 commission per trade or ) if you hasn't invested via FSM SG route yet. I'm not sure about their SG counterparts but I've had my fair share of experience via FSM HK for US stocks.

I started my first ETF via FSM HK as well (I was in Hong Kong so was able to open HK account rather than SG), and while I deemed the brokerage fee to be "reasonable", but it is crazy when you compare to the likes of TradeStation Global (and thankfully I only bought 1 US stock so far sweat.gif).
1. I forgot the exact % that they charge, but my transaction worth US$730 for 20 units x 35.36usd per unit costed me USD$22.80 USD in fees via FSM HK. Via IBKR it will cost me ONLY US$1.50.
2. Dividend Handling Charges - HK has it, pretty sure SG have it too (I hope I am wroing, check with them.). HK charges me US$2.50 for each dividend received, so far most of my dividend receives (after 30% US withholding tax) arrives around ~US$2.6 to US$3.1; every dividend FSMHK will take US$2.5 nett. So far I have received 3 dividend and they're worth nothing (based on my calculations, I only received ~11% actuals after withholding and FSM fees)

So not to hijack this thread - you can find out more here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4843925/
polarzbearz
post Oct 29 2020, 10:44 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(polarzbearz @ Oct 29 2020, 06:36 PM)
May want to consider TradeStation Global (USD 0.007 per Share, min. ~USD 1.5 commission per trade or ) if you hasn't invested via FSM SG route yet. I'm not sure about their SG counterparts but I've had my fair share of experience via FSM HK for US stocks.

I started my first ETF via FSM HK as well (I was in Hong Kong so was able to open HK account rather than SG), and while I deemed the brokerage fee to be "reasonable", but it is crazy when you compare to the likes of TradeStation Global (and thankfully I only bought 1 US stock so far sweat.gif).
1. I forgot the exact % that they charge, but my transaction worth US$730 for 20 units x 35.36usd per unit costed me USD$22.80 USD in fees via FSM HK. Via IBKR it will cost me ONLY US$1.50.
2. Dividend Handling Charges - HK has it, pretty sure SG have it too (I hope I am wroing, check with them.). HK charges me US$2.50 for each dividend received, so far most of my dividend receives (after 30% US withholding tax) arrives around ~US$2.6 to US$3.1; every dividend FSMHK will take US$2.5 nett. So far I have received 3 dividend and they're worth nothing (based on my calculations, I only received ~11% actuals after withholding and FSM fees)
So not to hijack this thread - you can find out more here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4843925/
QUOTE(Ziet Inv @ Oct 29 2020, 09:14 PM)
Hi there, first of all - thanks alot for sharing your experience!

I know it sounds stupid but I personally can't cope with my assets being handled by IBKR - that is not backed by US government (FDIC) if I reckon. I know it's backed by other authorities but it really is just my personal preference.

As far as I know about FSMOne (SG), I thought the fee was USD 9 per transaction, yours was 35.36 per unit?! That's almost as much as local banks' fee!

TD Ameritrade (which is FDIC backed) just recently replied my application for further documentation - hopefully things are closing in and I'm able to get approved in the short time - the only fee here is probably the Wire Transfer fee from MYR to USD (local bank to Wells Fargo to TD Ameritrade).

That said, I've also opened IBKR simultaneously (yet to fund it), and have been approved, just need to fund to start trading. Minimum balance was USD 10,000 or something (iirc, forgive me)? And there's inactivity fee right? That's quite hefty for a small capital retail investor like me  cry.gif

Happy to hear your thoughts and correct me for my errors above.

Cheers!
By 35.36 I meant the stock unit price (20 x 35.36 = ~707.2 before fees). I paid ~730 for this transaction via FSM HK so fees was about 22.8 USD.

Anything that requires TT is simply not worth it. I was tempted to go TD Ameritrade as well but unfortunately they only accept transfers in own account (at least that's what they replied me) for US account; and for Singapore they only accept DBS bank's local transfer and not CIMB so in the end I went with IBKR - simplest with worldwide reach
polarzbearz
post Oct 31 2020, 06:55 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(abcn1n @ Oct 31 2020, 06:35 PM)
FSM Singapore charges dividend handling fees for USA stocks. Not worth it.
Thanks! This confirms my suspicion laugh.gif after all they are affiliates. Had the same face-palm moment when I found out from my HK statements

I have moved most (if not all) my foreign funds to IBKR (TSG), leaving only the stocks / funds which are in red sea sweat.gif

Unfortunately I'm stuck with them until either I can travel (they only allow stock transfer with physical presence + signatory), or I sell at loss (and incur fees again) then buy back the shares from my IBKR (TSG) account sweat.gif

polarzbearz
post Oct 31 2020, 07:33 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(abcn1n @ Oct 31 2020, 07:16 PM)
Welcome. Have not done IBKR yet. If I do, likely it won't be soon. Many years ago, I opened TOS (TD Ameritrade) instead of IB (Interactive Brokers)  despite IB being much cheaper mainly due to :

1) Service was bad. If there was any problems with your trades, its not easy to get them to solve. Read many horror stories. Since I'm in Malaysia, it makes it even more difficult if something were to go wrong

2) Tradestation was not easy to learn and I'm not IT savvy. TOS on the other hand was much simpler and service was way better.

Is tradestation easy to learn/use now?

Until now, I still have this phobia.
I didn't touch their "pro" desktop application. Using Web-app and also Mobile-app of IBKR, both are very user friendly and I didn't even bother to touch the desktop app (not user friendly for average investors, maybe more for institutional users)
polarzbearz
post Nov 3 2020, 08:26 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(frostfrench @ Nov 3 2020, 11:22 AM)
My money-weighted return at 11.59%
I have other investment in FD, UT, Bonds and KLSE. Biggest percentage is in FD ( too bad interest rates suck)

user posted image

Is DCA a way to go?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyomDza-hS8...TheMoneyGuyShow

Jump to 8:36 if lazy to watch whole thing laugh.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 4 2020, 01:05 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(joshtlk1 @ Nov 4 2020, 12:52 PM)
anyone panic yet? haha, this is definitely one of the most interesting year of investing. Covid, March Drop, recovery, and now Flying like NASA Rocket Ship!
Nothing to panic about if zooming out into 20 years horizon
polarzbearz
post Nov 4 2020, 07:15 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(WhitE LighteR @ Nov 4 2020, 01:32 PM)
Suddenly once Trump win, WW3. laugh.gif
Win liao laugh.gif laugh.gif maybe need to zoom out to 40 years then tongue.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 5 2020, 01:28 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Apr 14 2019, 11:26 PM)
Managed to write a script to fetch StashAway portfolio value and IRR returns for google sheets. But still got some quirks to fix before I can share it.

Now my investment tracking gsheet is fully automated, using StashAway, Bloomberg, CoinGecko, Google Finance as data sources. Muahaha.
QUOTE(honsiong @ Aug 15 2019, 11:56 PM)
Eh shit they removed the old endpoint and broke my gsheet scraping code. Kena do overnight update.
Off topic abit - just wondering if you've got the script back up and running? Interested to know how you did it. Thinking to write the same as well but in VBA instead of Gsheets laugh.gif

how I wished that they have official API and key support. As it is right now seems like I have to use classic authentication method (username / password) hmm.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 5 2020, 01:47 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 5 2020, 01:35 PM)
The scraping is a bit complicated so I didnt write in google sheets scripts. I wrote in Ruby and hosted it on AWS Lambda.

Didnt bother to remove all the keys and passwords from my script, could have open sourced it.
If you don't mind - can you share me the source code (removing all sensitive information)?

Would like to poke around and see if I can replicate the same (not a full time developer, just for hobby) laugh.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 5 2020, 09:23 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 5 2020, 09:06 PM)
Where got dip? Didnt notice got good window to hoot also.

DCA all da weyh
DCA the best. Just close one eye and go with flow laugh.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 5 2020, 11:32 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(Jitty @ Nov 5 2020, 10:01 PM)
you guys will DCA every month for the same amount?
I DCA fixed amount monthly (Rm1000) regardless of market conditions, on month end. Considering to add another rm500 on mid month (regardless of market conditions) but haven't decided hmm.gif

QUOTE(siaush @ Nov 5 2020, 10:11 PM)
I noticed that StashAway's web app does use some sort of an API to obtain data from the backend, which uses GraphQL.
I guess that is the best alternative to an official API at this point of time?

The endpoint is at: https://api.stashaway.my/graphql and requires POST HTTP method to access.

Minimally you will also need the following Request Headers (apart from the usual HTTP request headers):

CODE

Authorization: Bearer <Your session token after logging in.>
x-client-identifier: [email protected]

I have not figured out how to obtain the bearer token programmatically yet, currently just getting it from Chrome's developer tools. tongue.gif

Then the following Request Body (in JSON) will get you your transaction history:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Which returns a JSON response that looks like:

It works for most of the operations on the website, and each of them require a different GraphQL request.

I have not analysed the response data models yet.
I have just stumbled upon this today while imagining to build a consolidated investment portfolio tracking sheet across different platforms. tongue.gif
Thank you for the detailed explanation! Will take sometime to digest this weekend and see if I can find a way to fit into my excel tracker laugh.gif

My excel tracks almost everything now (worldwide stocks via Yahoo Finance, FSMOne HK / SG / MY, Currency (exchange). Only left StashAway which I updated manually for now and got annoyed.

QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 5 2020, 10:36 PM)
Yes my approach is same as yours. I doubt they will release an official API for us, there are too few of us piping the data elsewhere anyway.

https://gist.github.com/anonoz/1461cd0733c4...52a25dc822762cb

BTW deploying to Heroku is significantly easier than AWS Lambda, just that Heroku has a 6 seconds warm up period, Lambda has near 0.
Thanks for the code snippet! Will also look into it this weekend since it is also the same approach.

I was poking around chrome inspector this morning and had some idea but hasn't tried it yet. I was thinking along the line of passing the Request Payload (hardcoded somewhere with my SA useename/password) to automate the login token generation hmm.gif

QUOTE(stormseeker92 @ Nov 5 2020, 10:51 PM)
What's the difference of using the API and using Yahoo Finance or other readily available website to track it?
API allows you to pull data programmatically and ideally achieving automation (e.g. An excel sheet or Google sheets with always up-to-date portfolio data with ability to take snapshot to assess past performance). The idea is to automatically fetch securities price (or in this case, my StashAway's latest portfolio value) into the excel to have a consolidated view of my overall portfolio performance (IRR / ROI) - since SA is only ~30% of my portfolio

Using website is, well, using website. In Yahoo Finance's example, it helps you to track individual stocks or ETF. However, because StashAway is a basket of ETF and everyone invests differently, you can't really "pull" the number from Yahoo Finance unless you manually keep track the underlying assets' quantity in your StashAway's portfolio (eg. 2.2 units of KWEB, blah blah blah)

This post has been edited by polarzbearz: Nov 5 2020, 11:53 PM
polarzbearz
post Nov 6 2020, 01:00 AM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(siaush @ Nov 6 2020, 12:34 AM)
Thanks for the code snippets, not really familiar with Ruby, but will have a look and see what I can get out of it. smile.gif
You are welcome! smile.gif
Oh I see, I have downloaded your Excel template for a deeper look and inspirations. tongue.gif
I am exploring on Google Sheets as it can run on the cloud and we can schedule automated snapshots without manual intervention. biggrin.gif

With a quick look, it seems like the snippets honsiong shared is passing actual credentials to the login API and retrieving the bearer token from the response as well.
Will look into it for more details too, thanks! biggrin.gif
Yeah heard and saw some good implementations of the Google Sheets. But I'm just too vested into my excel and kinda lazy to port it to Google sheets cause have to redo most stuff laugh.gif

Recently I just implemented my own automated scheduler (based on Windows Task Scheduler) with fixed schedule at 5.30pm (after local market close) / 5.30am (after US market close), and also added some logging features in case if I have to monitor / troubleshoot. More the reasons to postpone my Sheets port cuz lazy tongue.gif this was also the reason why my sudden interest in StashAway scrapper so that I only have to open my excel once every month to key in transactions.

My excel is also open source so feel free to poke around and use anything you find useful.

This post has been edited by polarzbearz: Nov 6 2020, 01:01 AM
polarzbearz
post Nov 6 2020, 09:26 AM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Nov 6 2020, 01:41 AM)
impressive details on your blog and superb transparency especially your portfolios.  notworthy.gif

i'll slowly digest them among all the other financial information i've recently picked up laugh.gif
notworthy.gif thank you!! Just finally decided to do my blog after procrastinating forever laugh.gif

QUOTE(Ancient-XinG- @ Nov 6 2020, 07:56 AM)
My plan to add 2k was correct. Should have 20k lol

Looks like if Biden win. Everyone in the world is happy
"should have". tongue.gif it's always hard to time the market so I just avoid it
polarzbearz
post Nov 6 2020, 11:17 AM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 6 2020, 10:08 AM)
As of now my google sheets is fully automated to update KLSE, SGX, gold, stashaway prices: https://anonoz.github.io/tech/2020/11/04/go...s-klse-sgx.html
hmm.gif looks relatively simpler and clean compared to VB scripting
polarzbearz
post Nov 6 2020, 02:41 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 5 2020, 10:36 PM)
Yes my approach is same as yours. I doubt they will release an official API for us, there are too few of us piping the data elsewhere anyway.

https://gist.github.com/anonoz/1461cd0733c4...52a25dc822762cb

BTW deploying to Heroku is significantly easier than AWS Lambda, just that Heroku has a 6 seconds warm up period, Lambda has near 0.
QUOTE(siaush @ Nov 6 2020, 12:34 AM)
Thanks for the code snippets, not really familiar with Ruby, but will have a look and see what I can get out of it. smile.gif
You are welcome! smile.gif
Oh I see, I have downloaded your Excel template for a deeper look and inspirations. tongue.gif
I am exploring on Google Sheets as it can run on the cloud and we can schedule automated snapshots without manual intervention. biggrin.gif

With a quick look, it seems like the snippets honsiong shared is passing actual credentials to the login API and retrieving the bearer token from the response as well.
Will look into it for more details too, thanks! biggrin.gif
So I've just poked around abit, I managed to implement it in EXCEL VB to POST login, get its token and call graphql querying the portfolio's I'd and got a successful JSON return. Now just have to

1) clean up code base and move all hardcoding to config page
2) parse the values

Then I'm done. Thanks so much again both! The reference helped me quite significantly to poke the correct direction laugh.gif
polarzbearz
post Nov 6 2020, 04:05 PM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(siaush @ Nov 6 2020, 03:22 PM)
You are welcome, glad that it helped smile.gif
Looking forward to see your implementation should you decide to release it after the clean up biggrin.gif

Cheers!
It's not done yet but the form is there - just need to merge to my fundUpdater function laugh.gif I think I need to decouple my functions. My fundUpdater() is getting longer and longer with all these different fetch() methods doh.gif
And its done!

Core VBA Script:

To convert internal excel reference code into StashAway Goal Id

Reference Data.tblMappingStashAway
Shortcode is used in excel template to "hide" the real goal id from plain eye in day-to-day usage of Excel (since Reference Data is hidden / can be locked)

Reference Data.query_overviewPerformance
I simplified the query by removing most of the irrelevant stuff from the query to keep it lean

Also feeling abit eerie to leave my username / password / device cookie in plain-text on the sheet. I might try to find ways to encrypt/decrypt it but might be useless also if it's all housed within same file

This post has been edited by polarzbearz: Nov 6 2020, 07:10 PM
polarzbearz
post Nov 7 2020, 02:22 AM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(siaush @ Nov 6 2020, 09:44 PM)
Wow that's quick! rclxms.gif
Thanks for sharing it smile.gif
I will have a look in detail when situation permits.

On the other hand, I have created a quick and dirty (but should be safe) way to store secrets inside the Excel file.

I'll keep it in the spoiler tag below in order not to take up too much space for those who are not interested in this. tongue.gif

Cheers!
Thanks for the POC! I'll poke around further with the encryption if I have time on weekend.

polarzbearz
post Nov 14 2020, 10:28 AM

4,548 posts

QUOTE(encikbuta @ Nov 14 2020, 07:25 AM)
Wow, just realised our 36% portfolio very heavy on Alibaba & Tencent. Got 3x ETF where they have a lot of weight:

- KWEB: Alibaba (10.5%), Tencent (9.5%)
- AAXJ: Alibaba (9.7%), Tencent (7.4%)
- SPEM: Alibaba (7.7%), Tencent (6.2%)

Our lives in their hands now  tongue.gif
QUOTE(honsiong @ Nov 14 2020, 08:53 AM)
More like in fellow stock traders' hand, KWEB really got goreng very very high. I dunno when will this stock bubble pop, if at all.
Yeah this is very true. I was researching ETF options for HK / CN stock market and most ETF (generic top 50 ETF, or technology etf) always have these two companies laugh.gif

But same problem for US ETF also. FAANG definitely in all the ETF maybe except the "Value ETF" fund or index which doesn't have exposure on FAANG

QUOTE(taiping... @ Nov 14 2020, 09:22 AM)
I’ve been wondering

Those that has been slowly DCA for the past few years, how is ur performance?
user posted image

This post has been edited by polarzbearz: Nov 14 2020, 10:30 AM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0393sec    0.13    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th January 2021 - 07:19 AM