Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Advice on sending kids to, Chinese School

views

TSkarwaidotnet
post Feb 26 2019, 12:54 PM, updated 2y ago

come near me and i'll bam bam U...
1,336 posts

can any parent share your thoughts on sending your kids to chinese school. especially those who non-chinese.

is it a stressful life? must tuition class after school a must?
pakdamek
post Feb 26 2019, 12:56 PM

On my way
620 posts

stressful. not all can cope with it. because kids don't speak mandarin at home. difficult to adjust at school.
TSkarwaidotnet
post Feb 26 2019, 01:06 PM

1,336 posts

QUOTE(pakdamek @ Feb 26 2019, 12:56 PM)
stressful. not all can cope with it. because kids don't speak mandarin at home. difficult to adjust at school.
i dun speak english/bm at home.... yet.. i still learn it anyway at school wif friends....

Jaysnow92
post Feb 26 2019, 01:23 PM

32 posts

My niece is in chinese school and also she is non-chinese. It is stressful at 1st. Give your kids some time. She will adapt and let her adapt with her own time.

Here are some tips i can give.

Do let her go to extra class for mandarin and tuition. ( Tutor would be recommended. )

At house, let her to speak more on mandarin. Either to neighbor kids friends or to anyone who can speak in mandarin. ( for my niece, my family members can speak mandarin. so we all speak to her mostly in mandarin and less english and bahasa melayu. )

Buy some activities book in mandarin words where the kids find interest. ( my niece love to read books. So when going out to buy books, we get her some books in mandarin. To sharpen her mandarin reading. )

Hope i share some tips might help you on your situations.
Good Luck and Wish you all the best. smile.gif
arthurlwf
post Feb 26 2019, 02:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(karwaidotnet @ Feb 26 2019, 12:54 PM)
can any parent share your thoughts on sending your kids to chinese school. especially those who non-chinese.

is it a stressful life? must tuition class after school a must?
Banana parent here, so we need to send kids to mandarin class to cope with the mandarin language.

Is it stressful? I dunno coz primary 1-3 don't have exams, but better have extra class so that kids can cope to communicate in Mandarin in srjkc school.
eggtart02
post Feb 26 2019, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(arthurlwf @ Feb 26 2019, 02:48 PM)
Banana parent here, so we need to send kids to mandarin class to cope with the mandarin language.

Is it stressful? I dunno coz primary 1-3 don't have exams, but better have extra class so that kids can cope to communicate in Mandarin in srjkc school.
My parents are bananas but I went to SJKC. It was hard because I couldn't ask them but I still survived because there will be lots of homework and tuition for Chinese came in handy (But this was many many years ago). And be careful what your children pass you to sign, because I would slip in my marks and my mom would not understand smile.gif

This post has been edited by eggtart02: Feb 26 2019, 02:59 PM
arthurlwf
post Feb 26 2019, 03:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(eggtart02 @ Feb 26 2019, 02:58 PM)
My parents are bananas but I went to SJKC. It was hard because I couldn't ask them but I still survived because there will be lots of homework and tuition for Chinese came in handy (But this was many many years ago). And be careful what your children pass you to sign, because I would slip in my marks and my mom would not understand smile.gif
Waaa... Tqtq for the tips

Luckily nowadays i can use google translate to easily translate Mandarin to English.
eggtart02
post Feb 26 2019, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(arthurlwf @ Feb 26 2019, 03:04 PM)
Waaa... Tqtq for the tips

Luckily nowadays i can use google translate to easily translate Mandarin to English.
hahaha yeah. Last time it was harder. Google does help alot!
Nowadays, my banana colleague would also come and ask me about some forms in Chinese. whistling.gif
Daddy2be
post Feb 26 2019, 03:23 PM

Casual
432 posts

It's 2019. Those who give own experiences from the yesteryears would not be relevant anymore. My niece started standard 1 this year. She went into the school knowing how to write her name in both Chinese and English. Can recite and write A-Z . Can name all common colors, can do simple addition and subtraction up to 2 digits. Can name, spell and write most fruits. I have co worker who's daughter also starting standard 1 but they are Malay. She has never hold a pencil before up until that point. Can't write her own name let alone in Chinese.

For those parents who wants to send their children to Chinese school, you need to start and adapt to the Chinese way at age 3 or 4 by the latest. I have a few relatives who teaches in Chinese school as well and they said if those kids doesn't come into standard 1 with the necessary skill in writing, listening etc, they will be left behind. Teachers in school will not go above and beyond for those kids. It's up to the parents to prepare them for the rat race in Chinese school.

If you don't believe me, pick 2 student from Chinese and Malay school and compare their workbook. Heaven and earth.
Daddy2be
post Feb 26 2019, 03:25 PM

Casual
432 posts

I'm Chinese btw. And I went into standard 1 not knowing how to hold a pencil as well. But that was a very different time compared to now. To make it easier to know what you and your child are up against, buy or borrow a full set year 1 workbook. It's very deep
dickybird
post Feb 26 2019, 03:30 PM

Regular
1,459 posts

Nowadays got Google translate life is easier for them. My boys go Chinese language primary school, they speak English at home or speak mandarin amongst themselves. They will adapt and you will need to support them with mandarin language tuition if possible because the standard of language is now much higher than it was before.
x3Kai
post Feb 26 2019, 04:37 PM

Getting Started
204 posts

i know for famous schools there's a requirement that u need to know like 1000 chinese characters before being admitted

arthurlwf
post Feb 26 2019, 05:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(x3Kai @ Feb 26 2019, 04:37 PM)
i know for famous schools there's a requirement that u need to know like 1000 chinese characters before being admitted
Primary or Secondary school?
Coz its ridiculous for pre-school to learn 1k characters before entering primary schools 😱
JimmyGainz
post Feb 26 2019, 05:49 PM

0 posts

Nowadays chinese really important language, and many people are specifically learning chinese to improve their chances of communication in doing businesses in china/ taiwan/ hong kong. I speak chinese but have 'lower chinese' education meaning i study primary 2 chinese instead of primary 6 chinese when im 12.

Now Im 22 and im fkin regretting not study chinese because in my old uni i met alot of china ppl who offered opportunities and business partnerships but due to my limited command and knowledge orfthe chinese language Im unable to achieve any of it. It may be a stressful few years but i guarantee you it is a worthy investment to send ur kids to a chinese school no matter what

This post has been edited by JimmyGainz: Feb 26 2019, 05:50 PM
mycolumn
post Feb 26 2019, 09:44 PM

Enthusiast
852 posts

QUOTE(x3Kai @ Feb 26 2019, 04:37 PM)
woah, 1k chinese characters is a lot
TSkarwaidotnet
post Feb 26 2019, 10:08 PM

1,336 posts

ok seems like most of the feedback here comes to the same conclusion - chinese school is indeed stressful due to higher learning capability requirements

got an ex-colleague malay... sent her kids to chinese school. after standard 3 or 4...they couldn't cope, she trsf them back to kebangsaan school.

and they had a personal tutor for mandarin...

This post has been edited by karwaidotnet: Feb 26 2019, 10:09 PM
jalsrix
post Feb 26 2019, 11:37 PM

Regular
1,890 posts

QUOTE(dickybird @ Feb 26 2019, 03:30 PM)
Nowadays got Google translate life is easier for them. My boys go Chinese language primary school, they speak English at home or speak mandarin amongst themselves. They will adapt and you will need to support them with mandarin language tuition if possible because the standard of language is now much higher than it was before.
Google translate is NOT 100% correct. It is a machine with low intelligence.

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Feb 27 2019, 01:11 AM
jalsrix
post Feb 27 2019, 01:12 AM

Regular
1,890 posts

QUOTE(karwaidotnet @ Feb 26 2019, 10:08 PM)
ok seems like most of the feedback here comes to the same conclusion - chinese school is indeed stressful due to higher learning capability requirements

got an ex-colleague malay... sent her kids to chinese school. after standard 3 or 4...they couldn't cope, she trsf them back to kebangsaan school.

and they had a personal tutor for mandarin...
I wonder why non-Chinese send their children to Chinese schools? hmm.gif

What are the main reasons?

10% of Chinese parents don't even want to send their children to Chinese schools because it's too stressful.

90% want to preserve their mother tongue.

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Feb 27 2019, 01:13 AM
TSkarwaidotnet
post Feb 27 2019, 07:59 AM

1,336 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Feb 27 2019, 01:12 AM)
I  wonder why non-Chinese send their children to Chinese schools?  hmm.gif

What are the main reasons?

10% of Chinese parents don't even want to send their children to Chinese schools because it's too stressful.

90% want to preserve their mother tongue.
for me - 1st im a chinese who doesn't know. mandarin. and i would be happy if im childs knows something i dun.
2nd - i heard and someone here concurs that chinese school way of teaching r far superior compare to kebangsaan
jalsrix
post Feb 27 2019, 09:40 AM

Regular
1,890 posts

QUOTE(karwaidotnet @ Feb 27 2019, 07:59 AM)
for me - 1st im a chinese who doesn't know. mandarin. and i would be happy if im childs knows something i dun.
2nd - i heard and someone here concurs that chinese school way of teaching r far superior compare to kebangsaan
90% of Chinese parents send their kids to Chinese schools while the 10% can't speak Chinese properly.

Of course, Chinese must be more fluent in their mother tongue instead of using mixing English words into their Chinese dialects.

I'm asking why non-Chinese not Chinese. It is not their mother tongue and they are in Malaysia where it's not used much.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0378sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2020 - 02:18 AM