Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

First bike + gears for a total newbie

views

deadwolf
post Feb 24 2019, 10:16 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 24 2019, 09:33 PM)
Ok wut sad.gif

I think That really depends on TS/individual riders
Every time someone disses 250cc bikes god kills a kitten Quazacolt sheds a single, manly tear laugh.gif
Mr_47
post Feb 24 2019, 10:20 PM

***NOT MODERATOR *** Post : +10,000,000,00 Warn: 100%
4,316 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Feb 24 2019, 10:46 AM)
as for gears, dont be hangat2 tahi ayam only. only wear it for the first few months then ditch it altogether because it's hot, stuffy & takes time to wear and take off

whatever you buy, invest in GOOD QUALITY rainsuits, rain boots, rain gloves

nothing says you're stupid when seeing you ride  a rm 60k bike with rm4k helmet and rm 3k jacket and rm 1k boots with rm500 gloves in the rain, soaking wet.
i am water person so going back home no problemo wet, but going office kek

ninja 250 2019 abs
blackbox14
post Feb 24 2019, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(deadwolf @ Feb 24 2019, 10:03 PM)
Yeah, screw those idiots. One thing that really impressed me when I went to Indonesia recently was how much gear a lot of the people on regular kapchais were wearing. Almost all had gloves, a lot had jackets with armor, most had boots, some even had those kneepads/shinguards which you strap on over your jeans. And the thing is, IMO the gear actually made them look respectable, they actually looked cool. It's like a uniform in a way, makes people take you a bit more seriously.

Trying to call out someone for wearing more protection than you is one of the dumbest examples of crab mentality ever. Unlike cars whose protection comes from how well they're built/designed, on a bike protection is whatever you're able to strap on to yourself. Crashing even at 20km/h is gonna really hurt, regardless of whether its on a superbike or a kapchai.
No kidding. Indonesia is ahead when it comes to having riders with better mindset - when they see riding gear they see measures taken against potential injury. Over here in Malaysia you get ridiculed by a particular crowd for wearing more gear because they see it as you showing off to them, and they think the gear won't save you in a crash either. It's very much an image thing, and you have to fit their image of a rider, otherwise you look stupid to them.

On that note, kinda funny that I never had people point and snicker at me when I was ATGATT on 250cc machines. This only started happening after I downgraded to NMAX. tongue.gif
TSwasabiluv
post Feb 24 2019, 10:40 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(luminarist @ Feb 24 2019, 09:32 PM)
I think I'm in a similar situation myself. But I signed up with nation drive in segambut since that's where I got my D license last time. Currently waiting for my turn for circuit riding class.

At first I wanted to get something like secondhand Z250 to start things off. But ended up getting the RS150R after considering my usage (city riding and short commute). For gears, I haven't invest much yet. Also, in case if this doesn't work out, wallet wont bleed that much.

Honestly, as someone who have zero riding experience, I'm glad I took a kapchai instead.
Hehe another vote for kapchai. How's the RS150R so far?

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 24 2019, 09:39 PM)
All the more reason to get used if you're worried about that bro.

If you watch videos, have you watched Keith code twist of the wrist 2? Do watch the one with the cheesy shitty acting as well that's about 1 hour 40 minutes as they're there for a reason.
True...! Another friend just bought a 2nd Scomadi recently and he advised me to get a 2nd 150cc first to get used to it all.

I haven't watched that - will watch it when I get home tonight lol.

Yeah, screw those idiots. One thing that really impressed me when I went to Indonesia recently was how much gear a lot of the people on regular kapchais were wearing. Almost all had gloves, a lot had jackets with armor, most had boots, some even had those kneepads/shinguards which you strap on over your jeans. And the thing is, IMO the gear actually made them look respectable, they actually looked cool. It's like a uniform in a way, makes people take you a bit more seriously.

Trying to call out someone for wearing more protection than you is one of the dumbest examples of crab mentality ever. Unlike cars whose protection comes from how well they're built/designed, on a bike protection is whatever you're able to strap on to yourself. Crashing even at 20km/h is gonna really hurt, regardless of whether its on a superbike or a kapchai.
Hahaha well I'm Indonesian. Maybe that's why I won't care even if people say I look 'stupid', safety first!!

Which part did you go to btw, Jakarta?

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Feb 24 2019, 10:07 PM)
That's fair. Just make sure to buy some alarm-equipped disk brake locks and mind where you park your bike. Maybe get a bike cover for when you park by your house. Y15 actually had a flawed layout that allowed thieves to just bypass the starter with a metal clip and ride your bike off in less than 10 seconds, so might want to check and ask if they fixed that.
Well now since I'm considering 2ndhand... hahah. I am eyeing the FZ50i. Found a few for less than 7k, 2016-2018. Even better for my wallet rclxm9.gif Gonna be watching reviews on this one shortly.

I'll be researching on the alarm locks soon, only saw 2 types so far while browsing for gears, but no alarm - just the normal lock so haven't continued down that road yet.

Yup. It's the combination of balancing and having to use such a big bike to do so. Some schools (not sure if Metro Subang is one of them) are using the Z650 now though which is more or less the size of a 250cc machine and lighter by almost 15 kilos compared to the old 2008~10 ER6Ns that we used to get. Makes things much easier.
Oh if I am lucky enough to get the Z650, will be very happy lol. 15kg is a lot, esp for me.

I never actually considered them. Wind noise can get kind of annoying in any helmet. If you do get one, just make sure it doesn't completely block all noise...you need all your senses for riding, including hearing.
Yeah, will need to find one that blocks out just a little bit if I do find the noise too much.
TSwasabiluv
post Feb 24 2019, 10:48 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Feb 24 2019, 10:25 PM)
No kidding. Indonesia is ahead when it comes to having riders with better mindset - when they see riding gear they see measures taken against potential injury. Over here in Malaysia you get ridiculed by a particular crowd for wearing more gear because they see it as you showing off to them, and they think the gear won't save you in a crash either. It's very much an image thing, and you have to fit their image of a rider, otherwise you look stupid to them.

On that note, kinda funny that I never had people point and snicker at me when I was ATGATT on 250cc machines. This only started happening after I downgraded to NMAX.  tongue.gif
How's the NMAX? The Scomadi-riding friend suggested that to me when I first mentioned I wanted to get a bike, but I was like, nah, I want a clutch so I can actually learn first.
blackbox14
post Feb 24 2019, 11:08 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(wasabiluv @ Feb 24 2019, 10:48 PM)
How's the NMAX? The Scomadi-riding friend suggested that to me when I first mentioned I wanted to get a bike, but I was like, nah, I want a clutch so I can actually learn first.
Very easy to ride. Excellent machine for town riding and daily use, but on bigger highways like the North South, it lacks power to confidently overtake those long trailers, tankers and buses. Need to stay to the left to be safe. Highest speed I achieved is around 126 km/h. I personally feel comfortable cruising around 90~100.

For me, the vibration from the engine out of the factory was kind of rough too. I changed my rollers and that went away. Standard tires were terrible in the wet and I changed to Michelins for safety.
Quazacolt
post Feb 24 2019, 11:09 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(deadwolf @ Feb 24 2019, 10:16 PM)
Every time someone disses 250cc bikes god kills a kitten Quazacolt sheds a single, manly tear  laugh.gif
Kittens! cry.gif
Quazacolt
post Feb 24 2019, 11:18 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(wasabiluv @ Feb 24 2019, 08:53 PM)
Oh yeah, earplugs - are they necessary?
Really depends how much you love your ears.

I wear them all the time with my Sportsbike unless I'm squidding in town riding such as in Malacca.

I also almost wear while riding the kapchai cuz it's a bit too slow. (My Demak 85cc)
deadwolf
post Feb 24 2019, 11:33 PM

0 posts

It's very much an image thing, and you have to fit their image of a rider, otherwise you look stupid to them.

On that note, kinda funny that I never had people point and snicker at me when I was ATGATT on 250cc machines. This only started happening after I downgraded to NMAX.  tongue.gif
That's actually quite interesting - that 'image' would be the first thing they think of instead of concerns about personal safety. I guess it might have to do with lack of rider education.

QUOTE(wasabiluv @ Feb 24 2019, 10:40 PM)
Surabaya, went to hike Mt Ijen and Mt Bromo. The traffic there is no joke, bikes on the road are on the bottom of the food chain. Makes Penang traffic look like a walk in the park notworthy.gif

Starting out on a 150cc is great if you're a total novice, especially for things like getting used to shifting gears and braking with front/rear. One potential advantage with getting on a 250 bike sooner is that most of them tend to have larger 'bodies' which are closer to superbikes than a 150cc, so you also get used to handling a bike with those physical dimensions.

A lot of 650cc bikes nowadays are quite similar in weight/size to 250s e.g. Yamaha MT07 is quite compact and something like 170-180kg wet weight which is really close to most Japanese 250 twins. Heck my er6n actually feels smaller and more maneuverable than my old Ninja 250 due to lack of fairings and extra steering lock (it doesn't feel lighter though dry.gif )
Quazacolt
post Feb 24 2019, 11:38 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

blackbox14 wasabiluv

Exactly.

Like how I tell folks claiming "oh my bike is small cc or I'll ride slow"
Well guess what, cars that may bang you may not be so slow.

And since I scare die (not to mention actually almost dying) so yeah I'd like to appreciate my second chance.

So here's me riding my kapchai
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You bet that gets a ton of attention, but if that allows me to live and enjoy riding, sure why not.
blackbox14
post Feb 25 2019, 12:05 AM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(deadwolf @ Feb 24 2019, 11:33 PM)
That's actually quite interesting - that 'image' would be the first thing they think of instead of concerns about personal safety. I guess it might have to do with lack of rider education.
That's exactly what it is.

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Feb 24 2019, 11:38 PM)
blackbox14 wasabiluv

You bet that gets a ton of attention, but if that allows me to live and enjoy riding, sure why not.
Wow, I salute you bro. thumbup.gif

I'm actually just looking for a pair of pants with knee and maybe waist guard to complete my set. Probably will buy Komine or RS-Taichi.
mat_7824
post Feb 25 2019, 09:10 AM

22 posts

blackbox14 wasabiluv

Exactly.

And since I scare die (not to mention actually almost dying) so yeah I'd like to appreciate my second chance.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

this is good for our own safety.
proper riding gears, even riding kapchai.
as long as safety is the main concern, go for it!
kshen
post Feb 25 2019, 02:13 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

QUOTE(wasabiluv @ Feb 24 2019, 04:35 PM)
Oh yea, another point about KTM, their seat height is higher than the Kawas I mentioned. Will check on the CB250R, thanks for the rec. The sucky thing about being short. Even more limited choices lol.

Any specific HJC models? I have a few on my list based on online recommendations (RPHA-Max, CL-Max 2 and RPHA 10) and will read on these later. Dainese seems quite expensive, but they have good reviews.
None taken the wrong way at all - TBH I've also thought about getting a kapchai first to 'abuse' before upgrading eventually - but one main concern is the lack of ABS I guess. Yeah it's completely normal and probably even expected to drop the bike/fall down while practicing, so yeah for first bike it's probably best to get a good one but not so exp, so not as sakit hati lol. Since it looks like I'll need to keep this for at least a year to practice and show my true riding position too, will probably get a new one instead of 2ndhand. Looks like I can get a new 150cc for less than 9k OTR (looking at Yamaha Y15ZR and Honda RS150R, also Benelli RFS150). I agree, as a total beginner, it is better to not invest too much in this yet - in case I end up not enjoying riding as much as I expect I would.

I'm planning to take further safety courses after I got the license, but since that's still a long while, I haven't researched much into it yet. And yeah, deff will need to practice a lot of the skills you mentioned, how to do u-turns, etc., thinking to practice at an empty-ish parking lot a lot first for safety reasons haha. Lanesplitting is something that scares me but then this needs to be done as you said.

Which Scorpion and SOL helmets have you used and would recommend? I'm a bit hesitant to go to gear shops to try out first because I won't be buying anything yet until I at least get the L license, concerned the shop owner/staff will be unfriendly in that case. So now I'm simply listing what I think will be good, and narrow them down.
Thanks!
Probably will end up with a kapchai for my first after all. Upgrade skills then only move to a bigger one once I have enough experience.

So mesh jacket that can have extra armors then, and a good raincoat thumbup.gif

My friend suggested to buy those waterproof boots coverup thingy, is that a good idea or might as well just get waterproof boots right from the start?
Hello, may I know which driving school, Metro Subang also? I thought they give about 10 weeks from start til you pass? Or it's actually quite flexible in case like yours, can stretch out longer? Maybe I understood their diagram/explanation wrong haha.

Yup, most likely I'll be getting a 150cc as my first. I'm also a bit worried about trying on the 650cc during the lessons, but they told me for newbies, will use the small bike to get used to first. I've checked with another school, they told me there will be an extra 250 bucks for 10 hours of training on a smaller bike sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

Edited to add: been binge watching moto vlogs, esp. MotoJitsu. He's got great vids and he explains really well.
I saw Ninja 300 and Z300 on the Kawasaki MY web that's why I mentioned them. For R3 and MT-03, doesn't seem MY will get them that's why I said no point considering them haha. Well I actually like the look of naked more compared to faired, simpler maintenance in the long run, and also seems like the riding position is more comfy/would be less tiring for longer rides. Let's see how it goes after a year or so of riding small bike first haha. What bike do you ride now btw?
Yup, ATGATT.
Thanks!
I'm doing my training at IMKL Gombak as Metro Subang is too far for me. By right my centre has a policy similar to yours where a surplus of charge will be added. However, I've built a good rapport (something which is really useful) with the trainers there and they close one eye and allow me to extend my training ours without additional cost. Plus, they even gave me additional tips. I'm not too sure about the 10 weeks policy, mine doesn't have that. However, the L license period is limited to a total of 2 years whereby you'll need to resit the undang undang and computer test again, this is applied in every centre .

Actually , I believe you'll be able to manage after getting used to a kapchai while at the training centre. In my case, after 3 hours of continuous riding on a kapchai, the instructor told me to jump on the 650 straight away since I've mastered the handling of a bike. I'd say getting a bike and riding it with a "L" license does help you get used to the feeling of a bike. But it's not entirely necessary. I'd suggest you start with a 250 but considering your built, I think a 150 is a safer approach

Yup, you're right regarding the z300, though I've heard not all dealers carry a ready stock for display since many people prefer the z250 over the z300. I'm currently riding a Yamaha r25 2019.

kshen
post Feb 25 2019, 02:15 PM

702 posts

On that note, kinda funny that I never had people point and snicker at me when I was ATGATT on 250cc machines. This only started happening after I downgraded to NMAX.   tongue.gif
I'd assume those ssame group of people thinks the 250 is a "super bike" haha.

I should start compiling pictures of motor vehicle accidents from motorcycle , I've seen so many cases at the ED and majority of theseason are from those exact people you speak of. No helmet , no shoes, no jacket , etc...you'll be left with a severed toe, a half cracked cranium or even a huge laceration extending your buttcrack up to your head.

This post has been edited by kshen: Feb 25 2019, 02:18 PM
METALRAGE
post Feb 25 2019, 03:20 PM

Casual
448 posts

QUOTE(wasabiluv @ Feb 24 2019, 10:40 PM)
Hehe another vote for kapchai. How's the RS150R so far?
True...! Another friend just bought a 2nd Scomadi recently and he advised me to get a 2nd 150cc first to get used to it all.

I haven't watched that - will watch it when I get home tonight lol.
Hahaha well I'm Indonesian. Maybe that's why I won't care even if people say I look 'stupid', safety first!!

Well now since I'm considering 2ndhand... hahah. I am eyeing the FZ50i. Found a few for less than 7k, 2016-2018. Even better for my wallet rclxm9.gif Gonna be watching reviews on this one shortly.

I'll be researching on the alarm locks soon, only saw 2 types so far while browsing for gears, but no alarm - just the normal lock so haven't continued down that road yet.
Oh if I am lucky enough to get the Z650, will be very happy lol. 15kg is a lot, esp for me.
Yeah, will need to find one that blocks out just a little bit if I do find the noise too much.
My personal experience...
Get something 2nd hand like the FZ150 as you said. It's different from a kapchai cos it's manual and less clumsy. and once u get ur situational awareness which is a transferrable skill whatever the bike you are riding, you can then scratch that for a bigger CC bike if you still itch for it.

Me, i started from bigger bike till gradually smaller and smaller bike (opposite of small to big) cos honestly traffic everyday is a chore to go thru on a larger bike. N i just don't have time to go riding on a weekend so what's the point if i only ride few times every year. with a smaller bike, i use it so much more to get around town / to work etc.

And even though i have crashed once and my full face helmet saved me from jawline impact, i've now ditched all the gear for a basic open face helmet and basic riding boots and don't even bother with wearing all my safety gear anymore because motorcycles don't have space to store them and lugging around my tank bag or putting it into that damned Givi box that adds 1 foot in length to the bike is just tiresome. just the chore of having to lug my damned helmet everywhere i go with me together with the tank bag just makes the chore of ownership even more trouble than what it's worth (for me)

so now i'm a B full license holder looking to downgrade further to a scooter with a deep well to keep my rain gear and helmet. i just feel after so many years, big motorcycles are just too impractical for day to day use.

one day la when i'm retired maybe i'll get another cruiser / tourer for the joy riding. But not while i'm still a working stiff with a 9-5

This post has been edited by METALRAGE: Feb 25 2019, 03:22 PM
fhunkyfhinky
post Feb 25 2019, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

blackbox14 wasabiluv

Exactly.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I second to this. I get my taichi jacket and riding lagenda 115. Got people say the jacket too much for the kind of bike. Laugh at me la, say I waste a money la.
But think back, at least if I slide, the jacket do have wrist and shoulder protector. In addition add RM200 i got chest protector.

This is because my previous experience, where I spend a lot for helmet. I accident with my friend who use normal apollo.
Lucky my non hensem face no scratch, but my friend injured his face with many scratch.

Dont care what people say. Safety first.
blackbox14
post Feb 25 2019, 03:57 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(kshen @ Feb 25 2019, 02:15 PM)
I'd assume those ssame group of people thinks the 250 is a "super bike" haha.

I should start compiling pictures of motor vehicle accidents from motorcycle , I've seen so many cases at the ED and majority of theseason are from those exact people you speak of. No helmet , no shoes, no jacket , etc...you'll be left with a severed toe, a half cracked cranium or even a huge laceration extending your buttcrack up to your head.
Yup, same group. I've been laughed at twice already in the 3 months I've had my NMAX while wearing my full face helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I heard of cases like these before but I didn't think they were real. Never happened to me while I was on machines that were 250cc or higher.

The first time was by a group of 5 or so young riders who obviously fit the description of 'that' type of rider, let's put it that way. Weird thing is, the second time it wasn't guys on bikes, but a driver of a delivery van and the guy riding shotgun with him. I didn't notice they were calling me out at first because one of them seemed to be yelling randomly, but then looked at them when the guy in the passenger seat started to bang the outside of his van's door with his hand (his window was rolled down). Then noticed he was pointing at me and making gesture of my helmet while laughing. confused.gif

Seriously though, screw them.
Quazacolt
post Feb 25 2019, 03:57 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(fhunkyfhinky @ Feb 25 2019, 03:38 PM)
This is because my previous experience
Well, it really depends on your perspectives.

My medical bill was over 50k, and technically I was fortunate (again, matter of perspectives) enough to even be handed a medical bill and not a funeral.

Gears compared to that amount is... You get the idea lol.
Not to mention the idea of having to re learn/rehabilitate how to breathe/walk again, no thanks man lol

And if you're investing in good/reputable leathers, they can be easily repaired/patched up from numerous falls/crashes compared to mesh/fabric that are normally only good for a handful depending on your crash/fall.

Yes yes no one wants to purposely crash/fall, and yes I know some people are top notch riders that can Neo matrix avoid anything.

So ultimately, your ride, your decision.
I'm just giving some 2 cents/a different perspective.
missmataleo
post Feb 25 2019, 03:59 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

Go get the cb250r. That bike suitable for u. It is the lightest 250cc bike, got abs, the seat height is low. And most important is it look so damn good. Ur eyes cant deny it. Gogogogo. And get the shoei z7 helmet. Superbbbbb
kshen
post Feb 25 2019, 08:40 PM

702 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Feb 25 2019, 03:57 PM)
Yup, same group. I've been laughed at twice already in the 3 months I've had my NMAX while wearing my full face helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I heard of cases like these before but I didn't think they were real. Never happened to me while I was on machines that were 250cc or higher.

The first time was by a group of 5 or so young riders who obviously fit the description of 'that' type of rider, let's put it that way. Weird thing is, the second time it wasn't guys on bikes, but a driver of a delivery van and the guy riding shotgun with him. I didn't notice they were calling me out at first because one of them seemed to be yelling randomly, but then looked at them when the guy in the passenger seat started to bang the outside of his van's door with his hand (his window was rolled down). Then noticed he was pointing at me and making gesture of my helmet while laughing.  :confused:

Seriously though, screw them.
Well, they won't be laughing when they're 6 feet under. Safety is way more important than practicality at this point. With new techs and whatnot I believe those two can be integrated well especially in this era.

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:42 PM