Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guitar Lessons, In your opinion

views

TSRS42
post Feb 19 2019, 05:57 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
300 posts

Guys, I'm planning to properly learn the guitar. I've had some lessons previously but they we're informal with a guitar teacher and it was quite a casual session. I've been learning on my own ever since and progress has been slow, thus thinking of properly sign up for a class with syllabus.

Any recommendations for them? Should I go to Yamaha or other smaller music schools?

Thanks in advance.

SonyNony
post Feb 20 2019, 05:10 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

its depend on what is your end goals, do you want to be professional? do you want to play for leisure? do you want to play the guitar for leisure but keen on pushing the limit?

My recommendation to you, go to professional class such as Yamaha, Bentley or any music academy, only if you wish to earn the certification but if you only want to learn the guitar, I recommend you to go to small guitar shop as it is more cost effective and yet, you still can get professional input.

I personally, went to small guitar shop class for 3-6months back when I'm 18, and ever since that I learn by myself. There is something that you cant learn on your own rather to have a guitarist/educator to teach you, in my case, i had a bad time understanding strumming skills and my teacher really help me to understand that matter to another level.
TSRS42
post Feb 20 2019, 11:02 PM

Casual
300 posts

QUOTE(SonyNony @ Feb 20 2019, 05:10 PM)
its depend on what is your end goals, do you want to be professional? do you want to play for leisure? do you want to play the guitar for leisure but keen on pushing the limit?

My recommendation to you, go to professional class such as Yamaha, Bentley or any music academy, only if you wish to earn the certification but if you only want to learn the guitar, I recommend you to go to small guitar shop as it is more cost effective and yet, you still can get professional input.

I personally, went to small guitar shop class for 3-6months back when I'm 18, and ever since that I learn by myself. There is something that you cant learn on your own rather to have a guitarist/educator to teach you, in my case, i had a bad time understanding strumming skills and my teacher really help me to understand that matter to another level.
Definitely not professional. But looking at least be at an advanced level. I'm probably at an intermediate level now, looking at my fellow guitarist peers and jam sessions. I have a weak foundation in theory, which I feel is making me difficult to improve from my level now.

Did they taught u through any syllabus? Or just by their own lessons. My concern is that if they don't teach u with a syllabus, they will tend to naturally teach u their styles.
lockheed90
post Feb 21 2019, 10:18 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(RS42 @ Feb 20 2019, 11:02 PM)
Definitely not professional. But looking at least be at an advanced level. I'm probably at an intermediate level now, looking at my fellow guitarist peers and jam sessions. I have a weak foundation in theory, which I feel is making me difficult to improve from my level now.

Did they taught u through any syllabus? Or just by their own lessons. My concern is that if they don't teach u with a syllabus, they will tend to naturally teach u their styles.
the good thing by having a teacher is that they can correct your playing. by having an observer they can point out the mistakes in your playing. this can fasten your guitar playing skills.
Pandada2121
post Feb 23 2019, 04:44 PM

10 posts

Hi all, I am keen on learning the guitar after my exams. Does anyone know any guitar schools/classes near KL or mont Kiara ? I would just be playing it for leisure but would also want to push my limits.
TSRS42
post Feb 24 2019, 10:20 AM

Casual
300 posts

QUOTE(lockheed90 @ Feb 21 2019, 10:18 AM)
the good thing by having a teacher is that they can correct your playing. by having an observer they can point out the mistakes in your playing. this can fasten your guitar playing skills.
Lol I play in a band once in awhile here and there and I do get some pointers but it's a little too hard for me to digest because they will touch on a lot of theory, in which I suck at 🙃 so yeah, I feel like I have to seriously brush up on my theory and maybe some fundamentals

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:29 AM