Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need a good laptop for RM 4000-6000., Laptop For Multimedia for RM 4000-6000.

views

TSSuraj Pavitraan
post Feb 17 2019, 03:58 PM, updated 6y ago

18 posts

I'm 19 years old and I'm nearing the end of my semester as a multimedia design student. Been using the HP Pavillion 15 inch with an i7-7500u and a 940mx with 16gb of RAM installed and also a 128gb SSD installed as a boot drive for windows and programs files. We bought for around 4100 bucks. During my first sem, the laptop handled my assignments really well and there's nothing I could complain about. After that, I noticed my laptop was lagging especially during my third semester where we had 3D animation and web design. It was then I found out that the i7 I had wasn't a real i7 well technically. These types of i7s which has the "U' at the end of the model number are low powered ultrabook processors and has fewer cores than the ones found in gaming laptops. Even the staff at the shop that I bought my laptop from said this laptop is good for video editing. To be sure, I compared mine to my cousins MSI ge63 apache pro which has the 960m and the i7 with 8gbs of ram. And his laptop was way faster than mine. Especially during render times in Adobe Premiere Pro. sad.gif. Need to have a good laptop for editing videos, photos and a little bit of gaming. The price point is around 4000 to 6000. smile.gif smile.gif
loki
post Feb 17 2019, 04:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,086 posts

video editing and 3d rendering is a different ball game...maybe try uninstalling programs that hogs cpu resources? HP is known to load bloatware in the form of printer drivers and lots of online software.. check your startup

This post has been edited by loki: Feb 17 2019, 04:04 PM
abu.shofwan
post Feb 17 2019, 04:09 PM

Regular
1,455 posts

QUOTE(Suraj Pavitraan @ Feb 17 2019, 03:58 PM)
I'm 19 years old and I'm nearing the end of my semester as a multimedia design student. Been using the HP Pavillion 15 inch with an i7-7500u and a 940mx with 16gb of RAM installed and also a 128gb SSD installed as a boot drive for windows and programs files. We bought for around 4100 bucks. During my first sem, the laptop handled my assignments really well and there's nothing I could complain about. After that, I noticed my laptop was lagging especially during my third semester where we had 3D animation and web design. It was then I found out that the i7 I had wasn't a real i7 well technically. These types of i7s which has the "U' at the end of the model number are low powered ultrabook processors and has fewer cores than the ones found in gaming laptops. Even the staff at the shop that I bought my laptop from said this laptop is good for video editing. To be sure, I compared mine to my cousins MSI ge63 apache pro which has the 960m and the i7 with 8gbs of ram. And his laptop was way faster than mine. Especially during render times in Adobe Premiere Pro.  sad.gif.  Need to have a good laptop for editing videos, photos and a little bit of gaming. The price point is around 4000 to 6000. smile.gif  smile.gif
The 8th gen i7-u processors come with 4 physical cores. Here is mine (Yoga 720), 4 cores @2 threads each.
But to be honest, I am not sure if it is the best option for you. I only use my laptop for light tasks (compared with you).
These low power processors are generally good for long battery life, not for long periods of heavy tasks as they throttle far worse than normal ones.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
marukopi
post Feb 17 2019, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
172 posts

I'm 19 years old and I'm nearing the end of my semester as a multimedia design student. Been using the HP Pavillion 15 inch with an i7-7500u and a 940mx with 16gb of RAM installed and also a 128gb SSD installed as a boot drive for windows and programs files. We bought for around 4100 bucks. During my first sem, the laptop handled my assignments really well and there's nothing I could complain about. After that, I noticed my laptop was lagging especially during my third semester where we had 3D animation and web design. It was then I found out that the i7 I had wasn't a real i7 well technically. These types of i7s which has the "U' at the end of the model number are low powered ultrabook processors and has fewer cores than the ones found in gaming laptops. Even the staff at the shop that I bought my laptop from said this laptop is good for video editing. To be sure, I compared mine to my cousins MSI ge63 apache pro which has the 960m and the i7 with 8gbs of ram. And his laptop was way faster than mine. Especially during render times in Adobe Premiere Pro.  sad.gif.  Need to have a good laptop for editing videos, photos and a little bit of gaming. The price point is around 4000 to 6000. smile.gif  smile.gif
Go for HP Envy 13 or Dell XPS 13
For the monitor part, perhaps you can purchase separate LCD monitor.
aj300
post Feb 17 2019, 04:14 PM

42 posts

https://shopee.com.my/eitstore/1565928987?smtt=0.0.9

Much better than your current processor. You could add in some ram and maybe upgrade the SSD. Otherwise, should be sufficient to your needs
LTG
post Feb 17 2019, 05:06 PM

Regular
1,780 posts

huawei mate X pro i7
keyser soze
post Feb 17 2019, 05:17 PM

On my way
521 posts

Then just go for gaming laptop.
chocobo7779
post Feb 17 2019, 06:49 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

I'm 19 years old and I'm nearing the end of my semester as a multimedia design student. Been using the HP Pavillion 15 inch with an i7-7500u and a 940mx with 16gb of RAM installed and also a 128gb SSD installed as a boot drive for windows and programs files. We bought for around 4100 bucks. During my first sem, the laptop handled my assignments really well and there's nothing I could complain about. After that, I noticed my laptop was lagging especially during my third semester where we had 3D animation and web design. It was then I found out that the i7 I had wasn't a real i7 well technically. These types of i7s which has the "U' at the end of the model number are low powered ultrabook processors and has fewer cores than the ones found in gaming laptops. Even the staff at the shop that I bought my laptop from said this laptop is good for video editing. To be sure, I compared mine to my cousins MSI ge63 apache pro which has the 960m and the i7 with 8gbs of ram. And his laptop was way faster than mine. Especially during render times in Adobe Premiere Pro.  sad.gif.   Need to have a good laptop for editing videos, photos and a little bit of gaming. The price point is around 4000 to 6000. smile.gif  smile.gif
The i7-7500U is a low powered CPUs for battery/thermal performance, rather than straight out performance). That MSI laptop will likely to have a full-fledged/near-fledged i7 (CPUs with suffix of HQ/MQ/HK) and the performance will be far better than the low voltage ones (at a cost of battery life and thermal performance) icon_idea.gif

For RM4K-6K, you might want to look at this machine:

Commandos Glock 5 (GTX1050Ti)
https://www.techarmory.my/v2/index.php?rout...ry&path=305_312

[CNY SPECIAL] COMMANDOS GLOCK 5
KEYBOARD COLOR/PATTERN: White Color Backlit ..
SCREEN ENHANCEMENT: (FREE) PROFESSIONAL ..
DISCRETE GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX1..
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7 8700..
ADD ON-SERVICES : (FREE) Thermal Enhan..
ADD ON-SERVICES : (FREE) 1 x Full Main..
MEMORY CONFIGURATOR: TECH ARMORY SELECT 8..
SCREEN TYPE: Full HD AntiGlare IP..
HARD DISK I: (SSD) Crucial 250G M..
m.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE (SLOT1): (NVMe) Samsung 970 E..
m.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE ( SLOT 2): No SSD Installed
AUDIO: Integrated High-Defi..
OPERATING SYSTEM: No Operating System ..
OTHER SOFTWARE: No Software Selected
WARRANTY COVERAGE: 2 Years Parts, Labor..
PERSONAL BACKPACK: No Backpack Selected
NETWORK CONNECTION: Intel® Dual Band AC ..

RM4726 and you can get this:

- Desktop CPU (i7 8700)
- GTX1050Ti (more than plenty for your use)
- IPS display with free professional color calibration
- Free thermal enhancement (most likely better thermal paste)
- Crucial MX500 250GB SSD (secondary drive)
- 970 EVO 250GB NVME SSD (primary boot drive)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM (may need to go 16GB if required)

No OS, but since you are a student, you can likely get Windows 10 Education for free (note that Windows 10 Education is closer to Windows 10 Enterprise rather than Pro in terms of feature set). Check with your uni here:
https://onthehub.com

Note that that machine is manufactured by Clevo, a very well known barebone laptop maker (they usually don't sell those machines directly to consumers - usually you have to buy them from a reseller) icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Feb 17 2019, 06:50 PM
Pichu00
post Feb 17 2019, 07:44 PM

On my way
640 posts

Im i the only one feel this topic so funny?? Better spec lappy dont make u a better student..... Live with what u got
TSSuraj Pavitraan
post Feb 18 2019, 03:55 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Feb 17 2019, 07:49 PM)
The i7-7500U is a low powered CPUs for battery/thermal performance, rather than straight out performance).  That MSI laptop will likely to have a full-fledged/near-fledged i7 (CPUs with suffix of HQ/MQ/HK) and the performance will be far better than the low voltage ones (at a cost of battery life and thermal performance)  icon_idea.gif

For RM4K-6K, you might want to look at this machine:

Commandos Glock 5 (GTX1050Ti)
https://www.techarmory.my/v2/index.php?rout...ry&path=305_312

[CNY SPECIAL] COMMANDOS GLOCK 5
KEYBOARD COLOR/PATTERN: White Color Backlit ..
SCREEN ENHANCEMENT: (FREE) PROFESSIONAL ..
DISCRETE GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX1..
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7 8700..
ADD ON-SERVICES : (FREE) Thermal Enhan..
ADD ON-SERVICES : (FREE) 1 x Full Main..
MEMORY CONFIGURATOR: TECH ARMORY SELECT 8..
SCREEN TYPE: Full HD AntiGlare IP..
HARD DISK I: (SSD) Crucial 250G M..
m.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE (SLOT1): (NVMe) Samsung 970 E..
m.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE ( SLOT 2): No SSD Installed
AUDIO: Integrated High-Defi..
OPERATING SYSTEM: No Operating System ..
OTHER SOFTWARE: No Software Selected
WARRANTY COVERAGE: 2 Years Parts, Labor..
PERSONAL BACKPACK: No Backpack Selected
NETWORK CONNECTION: Intel® Dual Band AC ..

RM4726 and you can get this:

- Desktop CPU (i7 8700)
- GTX1050Ti (more than plenty for your use)
- IPS display with free professional color calibration
- Free thermal enhancement (most likely better thermal paste)
- Crucial MX500 250GB SSD (secondary drive)
- 970 EVO 250GB NVME SSD (primary boot drive)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM (may need to go 16GB if required)

No OS, but since you are a student, you can likely get Windows 10 Education for free (note that Windows 10 Education is closer to Windows 10 Enterprise rather than Pro in terms of feature set).  Check with your uni here:
https://onthehub.com

Note that that machine is manufactured by Clevo, a very well known barebone laptop maker (they usually don't sell those machines directly to consumers - usually you have to buy them from a reseller)  icon_idea.gif
Is there any review online for this laptop. Just curious.
TSSuraj Pavitraan
post Feb 18 2019, 03:57 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(Pichu00 @ Feb 17 2019, 08:44 PM)
Im i the only one feel this topic so funny??  Better spec lappy doesn't make u a better student..... Live with what u got
It doesn't make me a better student, it makes my job much easier.
chocobo7779
post Feb 18 2019, 04:49 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Suraj Pavitraan @ Feb 18 2019, 03:55 PM)
Is there any review online for this laptop. Just curious.
The laptop I've linked is likely to be based on Clevo NB50TK1 barebone machine icon_idea.gif

Unfortunately it's quite hard to find a proper review, but here's one:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101375...400-gtx-1050ti/

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Feb 18 2019, 04:49 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:39 PM