Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Custom made wardrobe or ikeas

views

TSfaizrajaie
post Feb 16 2019, 10:57 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
80 posts

Mhye guys, anyone have experience using custom made wardrobe offered using almost the same materials as kitchen kabinet ..ive seen some example over google search..the design is just plain like in a hotel or chalet...they only custom the size and few stuffs only..
Anyone ever bought ikeas wardrobe? Planning to buy for my masterbed room..ikea wardrobe looks neat and modern..just need some input. Thanks
saintprayer
post Feb 16 2019, 11:27 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

go to furniture fair and look around. there are plenty of options beside these two
ar188
post Feb 17 2019, 12:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

if you like ikea then hack it to become a custom installed look. best of both worlds then
easywin3
post Feb 17 2019, 01:32 AM

On my way
668 posts

QUOTE(faizrajaie @ Feb 16 2019, 10:57 PM)
Anyone ever bought ikeas wardrobe?
I bought this, https://www.ikea.com/my/en/catalog/products/S99244928/
Inside can customize, so far so good.

This post has been edited by easywin3: Feb 17 2019, 01:32 AM
zuozi
post Feb 17 2019, 02:12 AM

Enthusiast
881 posts

Mhye guys, anyone have experience using custom made wardrobe offered using almost the same materials as kitchen kabinet ..ive seen some example over google search..the design is just plain like in a hotel or chalet...they only custom the size and few stuffs only..
Anyone ever bought ikeas wardrobe? Planning to buy for my masterbed room..ikea wardrobe looks neat and modern..just need some input. Thanks
Does modern furniture reliable answer is no , unless your custom made furniture are fully solid wood but way more expensive

Difference between ikea and conventional furniture store are Ikea more ready stock more color choice pattern kitchen to lightning etc but when people visit your house can obviously tell heh bought in Ikea

Conventional store maybe hard to Target what you want color and design like this match up but when you add in another object like not matching etc or over quantity they might be not ready stock etc

Both you get what you pay example Ikea dinner table cheaper one mostly cardboard laminate thin wood or recycle wood etc , or there are simple dinner table with supported structure like bottom counters top with steel frame rather than without anything after period of time middle will just curve

IKEA still have expensive product really solid wood but price ahem plus design price

Most Ikea iteme already measure in CM which you can check over there official and measure where you want to put then print outs the details in list once you go Ikea look actual product if you ok with all handle the details to Ikea agent pay then they will pick everything pack and sent to your house but only for the big object hand carry item you still need to go there pickup pay at cashier or buy over online vise versa

This is my experience when the time I buy furniture in Ikea only recently can be buy over online Ikea Malaysia

Conventional furniture store some item like mattress come with warranty like 10 year in case the shop close early than that then lead u confused who should I call to claim but ikea I guess won't so fast ending business at least if this state close you still have someone to call etc

Conventional furniture all different prices which lead you have to travel few locations to survey pricing maybe first items you focus cheaper but the other item expensive than others you will feel like kena potong etc but ikea price already over internet from their official site

But if you looking specific table like Japanese table low one which doesn't sell in ikea I found in conventional furniture shop depends what you looking for

Unless you are Rich enough everything pass to designers or agent can call it a dream house then that is another story haha

Well just my personal opinion and reference

Lastly Ikea mostly everything pack in box easy to you to handle relocate during assembly conventional furniture not everything pack in box like some sofa come with fully assembled when item arrive is hard to relocate etc

If you type person like to diy might be fun item bought from Ikea
Some Ikea item after assembly still feel shaking after you drill and tight in the wall they are solid enough

My reply might be over what your current need I'm just sharing lol

This post has been edited by zuozi: Feb 17 2019, 02:23 AM
halcyon27
post Feb 17 2019, 10:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

Been past user of Pax for my last two homes. Love the sliding system. But if you have odd space layout, planning is required. Ikeahackers site (run by a Penangite) has lots of creative user modification (hacks) that makes it better.

3 eyesores that I don't like about the the wardrobe system in the long term:

1. The wardrobe systems like Pax doesn't have the 7.5cm bend-in curve like the Billy bookshelves which would allow it to hug the wall-floor strips. If it does, hugging against the wall would be better as it eliminates dust from accumulating or insect from going into that area.

Most homes have floor-wall area would have wood or tile strips along the floor. Some of these wall-floor strips are 4" high but perhaps newer homes have lowered it to 2.5" - 3".

2. Related to issue 1 is this side effect that you might possibly see (not Ikea's fault but basically an evidence of developer's workers wall brick laying skill): when placing, a straight cabinet flush against the wall, it will show if the wall is truly vertical or slightly slanting away from it or towards room. If it's bad, it will be narrow at the bottom but very large gap towards the top. If the wall is slanting into the room, then vice versa. Add to that the first issue of the wall-floor strip, it can be a very unsightly gap. An idea that may help overcome this is to tile up the wall with cheap grade A tiles to flush it will the wall-floor strips so that the wardrobe can flush seamlessly along the wall. This is highly recommended esp if the wall where it will be placed have the bathroom or toilet behind it. You can plan this with a contractor and if you suspect the wall is slanting, plan in such a way that the tiling would correct the slanting to give the wall true to vertical so that the wardrobe will hug the wall nicely.

3. Long term wise, depending on how regularly the floor in the room is mopped, moisture from mopping will eventually seep into the base. So, to keep its base (where it meets floor) durable for the long term, get thin aluminium L strips customised and fasten it along the floor contacting wood along its base perimeter. This would lift it up from the floor so that when you mop, the wetness doesn't seep into the wood at its base and overt time make it expand. Of course, that will make it not flush to the wall but this can be solved with a neutral white sealant that is friendly with wood and most importantly aluminium.

If you can resolve this 3 potential eyesore issues esp 1-2, the flexibility afforded by the Ikea wardrobe system will be well worth it. Otherwise just close one eye and go ahead.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Feb 17 2019, 12:09 PM
Alan
post Feb 17 2019, 02:37 PM

Casual
413 posts

Putting aside quality related matter, custom work can seal the wardrobe gap to ceiling, wall (back), to the floor to avoid dust accumulation.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:12 AM