Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Disappointed with the company, Just venting out my frustration...

views

TSBig_Dream
post Feb 15 2019, 12:15 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
82 posts

Been working in a company for more than 3 months, an entry level job. The company has been established a long time ago, but the department I'm working in is relatively new, not even a year. Even the manager is new.

Everything was good in the beginning. My manager once even wanted to promote me to the quality analyst (QA) position, but I declined. I loved what I was doing and I didn't want to change anything.

But then, everything changed. I don't know where to start so I'll just write whatever comes to my mind.

The manager changed from a nice, warm dude to an autocratic, hot-tempered, self-absorbed asshole. Perhaps he was always like that and we just didn't know him long enough. But that's fine, he's the boss, so I'd just bear with that. But the problem is that he is impulsive. Whenever a problem arise, he'd go mad and throw tantrums at everyone, and then he'd proceed to solve the issue in a stupid way without considering the consequences. He wanted the problem to go away asap, so he'd just use whatever method that comes to his mind first. Also, he'd always come up with some random ideas, and by looking at his face, you know that he'd think of himself as a genius. But then again, he never consider the consequences, so his ideas failed every, single time. And then he'd move on to the next crazy idea he thinks of, rinse and repeat. He is also superficial as he always judge his employees' performance not by their hard work, but by how confident they look and talk. So an extrovert would be a better employee than an introvert to him.

And then you got two assistant team leaders who don't even know their own roles. They were supposed to solve minor issues that arise at work so that the team leader can focus on other important tasks. Instead, those two acted like some stupid brats. They always tried to act cool and go around telling everyone to do some useless stuff which were plain meaningless. Basically, they gave orders just so that they looked like they were doing their jobs which we know they didn't. They liked to act cool? That's fine. But the problem is they lack problem solving skills just like their manager. When you have a problem and you go to either one of them, they wouldn't look into the issue carefully and instead, tell you to do something which doesn't make sense at all to solve the issue.

Finally there's the QAs who always set contradictory rules for our work. And we couldn't argue with them because they were always right. The rules were set by them, so they could say whatever they want.

And because of these people, the department is a mess. Problems keep arising and they'd solve them in stupid ways without really ponder about the causes, factors, consequences, etc. They didn't realize that the underlying problem is actually the inconsistencies and lack of coordination between the parties. But I know, not because I'm cleverer than anyone, but because they are lazy to think. If I am to list out the problems of the company, it'd be a long report.

And when you know the truth better than anyone, you become demotivated in your work. You suddenly find that the things you do are meaningless because nothing's gonna improve. You might say, "Well, why don't you tell your boss?"

Here's another problem, my friend. I'm just an agent. And although I was admired by the manager in the past. His attitude towards me has changed now. He no longer thinks I'm a competitive and smart worker. Why? Because I'm not that kind of extroverted, talkative person who likes to be the center of attention. Instead, I prefer to work alone quietly. And I'm also not someone who likes to prove how brilliant I am, because I know that there'll always be someone who knows something that you don't, thus I choose to be humble and not brag about my knowledge and skills. So naturally, no one would think of me as someone with potential because no matter how much I know or how good I am in something, I always stay quiet. And now, I'm just a nobody in the department, no one really cares about what I do.

I don't mind if no one admires me, the main problem is that the department is such as mess and no one realizes it. The manager, the assistant team leaders and the QAs, they all think they are doing a good job when in fact they don't! Every day, there'd be a new problem, a stupid problem which shouldn't even happen in the first place.

I don't have faith in anyone anymore and I wouldn't want to talk to anybody about the issues. I'm finding a new job now and when I receive an offer, I'll just resign, it's that simple.
ZenithSkirmisher
post Feb 15 2019, 01:18 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

If you don't like working for that company, just resign and find new job loo

Why make life so miserable :/
Tanyaa
post Feb 15 2019, 09:33 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Feb 15 2019, 12:15 AM)
Been working in a company for more than 3 months, an entry level job. The company has been established a long time ago, but the department I'm working in is relatively new, not even a year. Even the manager is new.

Everything was good in the beginning. My manager once even wanted to promote me to the quality analyst (QA) position, but I declined. I loved what I was doing and I didn't want to change anything.

But then, everything changed. I don't know where to start so I'll just write whatever comes to my mind.

The manager changed from a nice, warm dude to an autocratic, hot-tempered, self-absorbed asshole. Perhaps he was always like that and we just didn't know him long enough. But that's fine, he's the boss, so I'd just bear with that. But the problem is that he is impulsive. Whenever a problem arise, he'd go mad and throw tantrums at everyone, and then he'd proceed to solve the issue in a stupid way without considering the consequences. He wanted the problem to go away asap, so he'd just use whatever method that comes to his mind first. Also, he'd always come up with some random ideas, and by looking at his face, you know that he'd think of himself as a genius. But then again, he never consider the consequences, so his ideas failed every, single time. And then he'd move on to the next crazy idea he thinks of, rinse and repeat. He is also superficial as he always judge his employees' performance not by their hard work, but by how confident they look and talk. So an extrovert would be a better employee than an introvert to him.

And then you got two assistant team leaders who don't even know their own roles. They were supposed to solve minor issues that arise at work so that the team leader can focus on other important tasks. Instead, those two acted like some stupid brats. They always tried to act cool and go around telling everyone to do some useless stuff which were plain meaningless. Basically, they gave orders just so that they looked like they were doing their jobs which we know they didn't. They liked to act cool? That's fine. But the problem is they lack problem solving skills just like their manager. When you have a problem and you go to either one of them, they wouldn't look into the issue carefully and instead, tell you to do something which doesn't make sense at all to solve the issue.

Finally there's the QAs who always set contradictory rules for our work. And we couldn't argue with them because they were always right. The rules were set by them, so they could say whatever they want.

And because of these people, the department is a mess. Problems keep arising and they'd solve them in stupid ways without really ponder about the causes, factors, consequences, etc. They didn't realize that the underlying problem is actually the inconsistencies and lack of coordination between the parties. But I know, not because I'm cleverer than anyone, but because they are lazy to think. If I am to list out the problems of the company, it'd be a long report.

And when you know the truth better than anyone, you become demotivated in your work. You suddenly find that the things you do are meaningless because nothing's gonna improve. You might say, "Well, why don't you tell your boss?"

Here's another problem, my friend. I'm just an agent. And although I was admired by the manager in the past. His attitude towards me has changed now. He no longer thinks I'm a competitive and smart worker. Why? Because I'm not that kind of extroverted, talkative person who likes to be the center of attention. Instead, I prefer to work alone quietly. And I'm also not someone who likes to prove how brilliant I am, because I know that there'll always be someone who knows something that you don't, thus I choose to be humble and not brag about my knowledge and skills. So naturally, no one would think of me as someone with potential because no matter how much I know or how good I am in something, I always stay quiet. And now, I'm just a nobody in the department, no one really cares about what I do.

I don't mind if no one admires me, the main problem is that the department is such as mess and no one realizes it. The manager, the assistant team leaders and the QAs, they all think they are doing a good job when in fact they don't! Every day, there'd be a new problem, a stupid problem which shouldn't even happen in the first place.

I don't have faith in anyone anymore and I wouldn't want to talk to anybody about the issues. I'm finding a new job now and when I receive an offer, I'll just resign, it's that simple.
In a corporate setup, just remember that everyone is wearing a mask! The mask is what sets you apart from the rest in the rat race. Between a person who wears a mask and a person who is himself, who is likely to be considered for a salary hike, promotion, bonus and other company perks? The management usually would have set their eyes on the one who wears the mask.

In your case, it seems that you're a person who would rather do your work and let your work speak for itself. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, these days the working environment has evolved a lot. You may be good at what you do, but, you'll also have to 'make some noise' so that you are noticed. Being quiet will only make you vulnerable to be bullied. You don't necessarily need to be talkative or an extrovert, but you'll need to practice speaking up.

I agree that some office culture is just toxic and it will never sync with certain personalities. To work in offices like this, one just need to be from the same type or change to fit in. Then again, not everyone can change to fit in.

Since, you're planning to leave; Good luck in your search thumbup.gif ! But, just bear in mind that carrying your true self will only make it hard to survive in the corporate world

HD-10
post Feb 15 2019, 09:42 AM

47 posts

u should sit down and have a talk with your HR. Sometimes it is good to let go what u feel inside u here but it wouldn't solve those problems.
Darkcloudz
post Feb 15 2019, 10:09 AM

Enthusiast
935 posts

dude, part of the working experience you need to gain is to "BLEND IN", different companies will definitely having different people, culture, practices. I'm assured that if you able to get pass this level, you will equip yourself with pretty good experience for your future doing
nexona88
post Feb 15 2019, 11:21 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,809 posts

Try to adjust...
U very new... Blend in temporarily first...
Later u can leave the place...
Harry_Bobinski
post Feb 15 2019, 11:32 AM

King of Truth
960 posts

You mentioned that the company is long established. Escalation is a very powerful tool. There is a possibility that he is wearing a mask and also a chance that he cracked under pressure by his boss (probably scrutinizing him by not being harsh enough?). Either schedule a one on one meeting with him (with or without HR) or escalate him and if all else fails, start looking for a new job.
Eurobeater
post Feb 15 2019, 06:15 PM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

Jump ship? Surely, there are better opportunities out there, unless you are unwilling to change your current role and job

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:30 AM