Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Master in Data Science, Recommended universities to study

views

TSLalapopo
post Feb 12 2019, 11:57 AM, updated 6y ago

12 posts

Hi guys,

Which universities in Malaysia are fine/good to continue master study in data science (non research based) from the listing as below (lecturers’ quality, experiences, syllabuses, reputations):

1) APU
2) Monash
3) UM
4) USM
5) UTM

Anyone has experience in this? Please share your thoughts, especially on master in data science and business analytics (offered in APU, syallbus quite interesting, but not sure good or not)?

hilly50
post Dec 1 2019, 10:56 AM

21 posts

Have you decided on which one to enrol?
JREnterprise
post Dec 13 2019, 04:41 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

Which of the U stated above do offer part-time study?
NotTheOne
post Jan 5 2020, 03:33 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

APU might be over rated. Need more people to check out UM as it is the best ranked university in MY!
Most likely this programs are not part - time.
APU one is about 13-15months to get masters qualification and since the title of masters is interesting a lot of people can get job offers even before graduating. But knowledge wise.... smile.gif haha judge yourself yeah

This post has been edited by NotTheOne: Jan 5 2020, 03:34 PM
D-coder
post Jan 6 2020, 02:26 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(Lalapopo @ Feb 12 2019, 12:57 PM)
Hi guys,

Which universities in Malaysia are fine/good to continue master study in data science (non research based) from the listing as below (lecturers’ quality, experiences, syllabuses, reputations):

1) APU
2) Monash
3) UM
4) USM
5) UTM

Anyone has experience in this? Please share your thoughts, especially on master in data science and business analytics (offered in APU, syallbus quite interesting, but not sure good or not)?
hi have u decided already? im going orientation on feb 7, 2020 in UM, master in data science.
anyone else? drool.gif drool.gif
NotTheOne
post Jan 6 2020, 05:23 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(D-coder @ Jan 6 2020, 02:26 PM)
hi have u decided already? im going orientation on feb 7, 2020 in UM, master in data science.
anyone else? drool.gif  drool.gif
Do you mind sharing how your thought process in narrowing down to choose U M?

The more details the better smile.gif
bLu3zZz
post Feb 7 2020, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

Depends on which mode you prefer and what's the objective.. If you're looking for research based, gov unis are better. I graduated from APU, their focus is more on industry, you get to work on company's projects. But less research.
NotTheOne
post Feb 21 2020, 07:09 AM

Getting Started
235 posts

how is it going for those who had enrolled in UM master program?
can quickly share your thoughts and the cost

will be useful if can also share the cost vs APU
klep10
post Mar 6 2020, 11:41 AM

2 posts

Hi,
Any update on the UM OR APU program?
how is the feedback on the courses? specially for part-time batch?

QUOTE(NotTheOne @ Feb 21 2020, 07:09 AM)
how is it going for those who had enrolled in UM master program?
can quickly share your thoughts and the cost

will be useful if can also share the cost vs APU
NotTheOne
post Mar 9 2020, 03:48 AM

Getting Started
235 posts

QUOTE(klep10 @ Mar 6 2020, 11:41 AM)
Hi,
Any update on the UM OR APU program?
how is the feedback on the courses? specially for part-time batch?
Yes need more guys to share their experiences in both application and also while doing the course

Please tell us honestly on the APU situation because a lot of those who go there are blinded by their industry connections and don't tell the true story of actual learning. Compared to UM who may not be as close with industry but equally good if not better in the curriculum

please share honestly!
spacelion
post Feb 18 2021, 03:52 PM

Ada Liu
1,668 posts

QUOTE(D-coder @ Jan 6 2020, 02:26 PM)
anyone else? drool.gif  drool.gif
How has it been so far? Are classes online or not? What's the workload per week , how many classes / hours per week?
prelude23
post Feb 26 2021, 01:40 PM

fYeah!!
2,497 posts

Is it even easy to find a job as a Data Scientist in Malaysia nowadays?
joe_toye
post Feb 26 2021, 02:32 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(prelude23 @ Feb 26 2021, 01:40 PM)
Is it even easy to find a job as a Data Scientist in Malaysia nowadays?
YES. Most companies have trouble finding GOOD ones.

I know friends in MAXIS and AXIATA who are looking for Data Scientists. Even in companies like Deloitte are looking for DS.

Tomck99 P
post Apr 29 2021, 03:18 AM

Probation
3 posts

hi everyone, I would like to join one of the above universities for master of data science but haven't decided which uni to join. What do you guys think about Taylors Master of Applied Computing as they are offering a duo specialization for data science and artificial intelligence (AI) which can be completed in 1.5 years. Which university do you guys think will be able to provide good quality lecture because I'm quite new to IT field and the lecture quality might affect me drastically. My first choice is actually APU/Taylors but have read many negative comments on both of them. Taylors duo specialization is really appealing but I'm unsure whether they will be able to provide quality lectures and information as this is their new program (First batch starts on March 2021). As for APU I read some comments which says they are deteriorating and not really recommend to do computer science courses there. Please do advise me on which university to pick or at least the safest.
MGM
post Apr 29 2021, 03:03 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,387 posts

QUOTE(Tomck99 @ Apr 29 2021, 03:18 AM)
hi everyone, I would like to join one of the above universities for master of data science but haven't decided which uni to join. What do you guys think about Taylors Master of Applied Computing as they are offering a duo specialization for data science and artificial intelligence (AI) which can be completed in 1.5 years. Which university do you guys think will be able to provide good quality lecture because I'm quite new to IT field and the lecture quality might affect me drastically. My first choice is actually APU/Taylors but have read many negative comments on both of them. Taylors duo specialization is really appealing but I'm unsure whether they will be able to provide quality lectures and information as this is their new program (First batch starts on March 2021). As for APU I read some comments which says they are deteriorating and not really recommend to do computer science courses there. Please do advise me on which university to pick or at least the safest.
What is your education background?
Tomck99 P
post Apr 29 2021, 08:47 PM

Probation
3 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Apr 29 2021, 03:03 PM)
What is your education background?
I completed my bachelor of psychology at USCI. But realized that I can't really get a decent job with it. So would like to pursue my studies on Master of data science. As for my computing skills, I do have some low-level knowledge of Python and C but is only basic. cry.gif
Alvan86
post May 1 2021, 07:28 PM

Casual
322 posts

Hi guys actually there are many online certification courses which offered by IBM, Google, Microsoft etc. It is also another option instead of going full-time to purse a postgraduate degree course. Recently I am also considering to pursue online course.
ike.tan
post May 3 2021, 10:40 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(Alvan86 @ May 1 2021, 07:28 PM)
Hi guys actually there are many online certification courses which offered by IBM, Google, Microsoft etc. It is  also another option instead of going full-time to purse a postgraduate degree course. Recently I am also considering to pursue online course.
It depends on your objectives. What is your primary purpose for wanting this Masters of Data Science. If it's purely for a career change, then perhaps certifications are the best way to go. Masters by itself my not give you the technical skills required nor the fundamental skillsets. Some masters are purely research-based.
ike.tan
post May 3 2021, 10:42 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(Tomck99 @ Apr 29 2021, 08:47 PM)
I completed my bachelor of psychology at USCI. But realized that I can't really get a decent job with it. So would like to pursue my studies on Master of data science. As for my computing skills, I do have some low-level knowledge of Python and C but is only basic.  cry.gif
As stated as well. Your best option would be to go for a masters by coursework that would teach you the essential skills rather than a masters by research. Supplement that with some certification and you MIGHT be able to start at an entry level. How good is your maths btw?
Tomck99 P
post May 3 2021, 09:11 PM

Probation
3 posts

QUOTE(ike.tan @ May 3 2021, 10:42 AM)
As stated as well. Your best option would be to go for a masters by coursework that would teach you the essential skills rather than a masters by research. Supplement  that with some certification and you MIGHT be able to start at an entry level. How good is your maths btw?
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Yeah, I would like to change my career as I can't really find a decent job with my current degree. I could say that my math okay, but not exceptionally good. But i kinda forgot most of it though. Yeah, I will only join the coursework courses as I doesn't have much computing skills rclxm9.gif.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:18 PM