Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Adventure Motorcycle, Question about seat height, choices

views

TSAngelic Layer
post Feb 12 2019, 07:10 AM, updated 6 months ago

Group: Junior Member

Hello, I am looking into the possibility of a dual sport adventure motorcycle that I can ride occasionally (mostly a driver).
I have look into KTM which is more popular here, as well as Yamaha Super Tenere but they are rougher on tarmac and I am thinking of doing 80% or more on the road rather than a more dedicated off road bike, and both bikes are too tall for me too.

I narrowed down to BMW F650 Dakar, G650GS Sertao used or a BMW G310GS.
I might even consider a Honda CB500X but not so sure about it's offroad capability.

The F650 is the cheapest used and a proven bike, but the tallest out of the all 4 bikes I'm considering, the G310 is of the suitable height but I'm not sure it is sufficient for highway cruising I expect to do, likewise if the Honda is good enough off road.

I am a little more than 160cm in height and have look into http://cycle-ergo.com/ for ideas, but not sure how tall is too tall, and how much it is possible to lower a motorcycle.
My budget is a little over 20k, would open to other opinions and recommendation as well.
leinnz
post Feb 12 2019, 11:14 AM

oldfags
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Angelic Layer @ Feb 12 2019, 07:10 AM)
Hello, I am looking into the possibility of a dual sport adventure motorcycle that I can ride occasionally (mostly a driver).
I have look into KTM which is more popular here, as well as Yamaha Super Tenere but they are rougher on tarmac and I am thinking of doing 80% or more on the road rather than a more dedicated off road bike, and both bikes are too tall for me too.

I might even consider a Honda CB500X but not so sure about it's offroad capability.

The F650 is the cheapest used and a proven bike, but the tallest out of the all 4 bikes I'm considering, the G310 is of the suitable height but I'm not sure it is sufficient for highway cruising I expect to do, likewise if the Honda is good enough off road.

I am a little more than 160cm in height and have look into http://cycle-ergo.com/ for ideas, but not sure how tall is too tall, and how much it is possible to lower a motorcycle.
My budget is a little over 20k, would open to other opinions and recommendation as well.
Honda AD-V scooter might be good
basilisk
post Feb 12 2019, 12:14 PM

budget over 20k how to get ADV ???

got tons of video on versys 250 vs bm310, versys250 650 vstrom, cb500x, trk501 going off road,

and also depends on your definition of " off road"
leinnz
post Feb 12 2019, 05:19 PM

oldfags
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(basilisk @ Feb 12 2019, 12:14 PM)
budget over 20k how to get ADV ???

got tons of video on versys 250 vs bm310, versys250 650 vstrom, cb500x, trk501 going off road,

and also depends on your definition of " off road"
sorry boss. tak nampak budget...
i think versys is suitable
redjol
post Feb 12 2019, 07:47 PM

Getting Started

Can get crf250l or topup a bit get the adventure version
redjol
post Feb 12 2019, 07:47 PM

Getting Started

double post

This post has been edited by redjol: Feb 12 2019, 07:47 PM
TSAngelic Layer
post Feb 12 2019, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies, my definition of off road is our Malaysian, Thailand kind of small trail off road where lightness is preferable.
But I will also use it more on the road like 80's, and like to use it on the highway so something more than 300cc or even 500cc prefereed.

It is the first time I heard of Honda XADV but it seemed very heavy at more than 200kg and a lot more than my budget.
Bartholomew S
post Feb 12 2019, 09:00 PM

Hi,

Go watch TMF videos on youtube. He is 5 foot 8. You are a little bit shorter than he is. I recommend him as he is one of the most sensible motovlog riders in the UK other than RJ I think.
basilisk
post Feb 12 2019, 09:04 PM

youtub versys 250 or 300 offroad, tons off vids... its clutch is so light..
TSAngelic Layer
post Feb 12 2019, 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Bartholomew S @ Feb 12 2019, 09:00 PM)
Hi,

Go watch TMF videos on youtube. He is 5 foot 8. You are a little bit shorter than he is. I recommend him as he is one of the most sensible motovlog riders in the UK other than RJ I think.
I just looked at TheMissendenFlyer, if it wasn't as easy for him to get in and out of Africa Twin, then the seat height of G650 wouldn't be for me, thanks.
The Versys as well as V Strom looks manageable but I will have the trial for myself, the CB500X would definitely fit me if both of the former is not as comfortable for me still.

Thanks.
lowpro
post Feb 13 2019, 08:13 AM

QUOTE(leinnz @ Feb 12 2019, 11:14 AM)
Honda AD-V scooter might be good
Yup. Seen a lot of those lately but it is way above TS's budget of about RM20k+
Justin.Loong
post Feb 13 2019, 08:32 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(Angelic Layer @ Feb 12 2019, 07:10 AM)

FYI, Super Ten second-hand is around $50K. moneyflies.gif moneyflies.gif
If Tenere 650, it's around mid-$30s.

G650 Sertao? It can meet your $20K budget for second-hand.
SERTAO 2013
However, you mentioned you want to ride on highway more, maybe a thumper isn't so suitable? hmm.gif
TSAngelic Layer
post Feb 13 2019, 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Feb 13 2019, 08:32 AM)
FYI, Super Ten second-hand is around $50K.  moneyflies.gif  moneyflies.gif
If Tenere 650, it's around mid-$30s.

G650 Sertao? It can meet your $20K budget for second-hand.
SERTAO 2013
However, you mentioned you want to ride on highway more, maybe a thumper isn't so suitable?  hmm.gif
Yes, I mean 650, sorry.

The Sertao although single cylinder seemed to have enough speed to do highway, not that I need super fast, but enough momentum, I would definitely like to get someone larger than 250cc though for that reason, I wondered initially the BMW G310GS would be sufficient but larger bikes was about the same price either.

I realise that a person slightly taller than me would barely able to tip toe on a Africa Twin (new version), the same height as Sertao, so I think while I can handle the bike but it would be as much as comfortable for me, the even taller F650 Dakar would be out of question.

V-Strom would be lower but I will have to see if it is comfortable for me, otherwise if I go for CB500X I heard I have to upgrade the suspension or stuff and the end result might cost the same or more than a V-Strom 650 which is a better bike from the outset, but it is definitely lighter in weight and fits me in height.

Someone points out a Benelli TRK 501, but the review isn't that good, and heavier in the range of a 650cc despite the same cc and weight as well as the price of CB500X.

This post has been edited by Angelic Layer: Feb 13 2019, 08:52 AM
deadwolf
post Feb 13 2019, 09:11 AM

I think the CB500X best suits your criteria. Check out some of the videos from CB500X riders in Thailand, they do some crazy stuff on what I'm guessing are probably stock bikes e.g. I don't see any Rally Raid kits on them. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUSXaw61dI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmJTmYweVg

The thing about big ADV bikes is that it takes serious skill to ride them fast off-road. For most riders, the speeds they'll travel at off-road means that the type/brand of bike doesn't really matter and you just need something reliable with height/weight that you can manage.

IMO the pros of the CB500X are:

- Low seat and reasonable weight.
- Excellent fuel economy (300km - 400km on a tank based on posts in the M'sia CB500X riders group)
- Great for commuting every day.
- Should be plenty of parts available since they're made in Thailand and quite a common model.
- Cheaper to run and with better service coverage than Suzuki or BMW (I think)
- Secondhand earlier models are around RM25k now.

I've ridden with some in a group and they don't have any issue cruising at 140km/h on the highway and also have enough power to be flexible at those speeds (e.g. if a situation forces you to drop down to 120 you can get back up to 140 quickly without having to wait for it to wind back up like a 250cc).

Hope that helps!
Justin.Loong
post Feb 13 2019, 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Angelic Layer @ Feb 13 2019, 08:48 AM)
Yes, I mean 650, sorry.

The Sertao although single cylinder seemed to have enough speed to do highway, not that I need super fast, but enough momentum, I would definitely like to get someone larger than 250cc though for that reason, I wondered initially the BMW G310GS would be sufficient but larger bikes was about the same price either.

I realise that a person slightly taller than me would barely able to tip toe on a Africa Twin (new version), the same height as Sertao, so I think while I can handle the bike but it would be as much as comfortable for me, the even taller F650 Dakar would be out of question.

V-Strom would be lower but I will have to see if it is comfortable for me, otherwise if I go for CB500X I heard I have to upgrade the suspension or stuff and the end result might cost the same or more than a V-Strom 650 which is a better bike from the outset, but it is definitely lighter in weight and fits me in height.

Someone points out a Benelli TRK 501, but the review isn't that good, and heavier in the range of a 650cc despite the same cc and weight as well as the price of CB500X.
I second abam basilisk regarding the Versys Tu Fai Woo (250)
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Parallel twin engine also gooding! thumbsup.gif
user posted image
Enough power and it's light.
The writer at imotorbike.my is also around 167cm tall so lebih kurang similar to your height.

Price is also not bad. thumbup.gif
Kawasaki Versys 250

Pic Credit to: imotorbike.my
TSAngelic Layer
post Feb 16 2019, 02:55 AM

Hello, I have look at Versys and V-Strom, the 650 version today.
The V-Strom is the better bike and have a useful low rpm assist, but feel heavier as it is taller, the Versys is more easy to ride and stable than the CB500X especially in higher speed.
The CB500X is the easiest to ride and have features that make it difficult to get stolen.

But ABS version of both Versys and V-Strom is quite higher and even used price is about more than 30k, the CB500X with ABS is much lower, but if I want to work on suspension the price would be higher than the said used G650GS and still be a slightly lesser adventure bike despite more livable for everyday use.

The G650GS comes with good accessories and I don't have to spend as much on the outset, bearing in mind that I drive more when it comes to daily use and intend to ride as a hobby, if I ride more the CB500X is a no brainer, I think I will look into how much I can lower the suspension of the BMW.

The end of the story is it always comes to individual bike than the model itself when it comes to choosing, thanks for all your inputs and opinions!

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0757sec    2.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 10:56 AM