Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

We're having intermittent DNS issues, that should resolve itself shortly.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Dad getting recond BMW F10 523i 2011, Any problems to watch out for?

KingArthurVI
post Feb 11 2019, 10:40 PM, updated 2w ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

My dad is buying a BMW 523i F10 from a distant relative, he plans to drive it for 3 years and sell it before he retires so he can buy a new car then. I believe this is the pre-facelift (non LCI) model.

The problem is, the car was bought as a recond from the relative, so this is another hand after recond... and no one knows where it actually came from, if it's Japan, SG or even local recond. Wanted to ask sifus here if there are any common problems with 523i to look out for. notworthy.gif
Sadru
post Feb 11 2019, 10:44 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

buy first, regret later

digilife
post Feb 12 2019, 08:49 AM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.
Group: Senior Member

Check the VIN below

Vehicle Identification Number
HippyTony
post Feb 12 2019, 10:16 AM

Casual

If your dad decides to buy it. Do you have a good BMW indie mechanic? It’s important that you do.
Lanchio
post Feb 12 2019, 12:26 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(HippyTony @ Feb 12 2019, 10:16 AM)
If your dad decides to buy it. Do you have a good trustworthy BMW indie mechanic? It’s important that you do.
Added "trustworthy". Check if your distance relative keeps the entire service record of the car. Then you can know what immediately needs servicing/replacement. Be very careful of engine sludge in local BMW long service intervals.

Btw HippyTony, your avatar reminds me of the late Appu of BMWClub
KingArthurVI
post Feb 12 2019, 02:41 PM

Casual

QUOTE(digilife @ Feb 12 2019, 08:49 AM)
Thanks this is helpful, I’ll try to get the VIN and plug it in to see what comes out.

QUOTE(HippyTony @ Feb 12 2019, 10:16 AM)
If your dad decides to buy it. Do you have a good BMW indie mechanic? It’s important that you do.
He knows a workshop that does continental cars, he’s been bringing his old S class there for service regularly. Idk how reliable they are when it comes to BMWs however, did Mercz car there for years with no problem so hopefully same for BMW.

QUOTE(Lanchio @ Feb 12 2019, 12:26 PM)
Added "trustworthy". Check if your distance relative keeps the entire service record of the car. Then you can know what immediately needs servicing/replacement. Be very careful of engine sludge in local BMW long service intervals.

Btw HippyTony, your avatar reminds me of the late Appu of BMWClub
Yeah will need to check the service record. Thanks for the heads up on engine sludge. I was mostly curious on any well known issues for 523i that’ll be a headache to fix in the future if it crops up before we want to sell the car again. 😅
buyou12
post Feb 14 2019, 10:22 AM

Getting Started

Look out for the brand itself. Don't think BMW make lasting cars. Most parts design to break within 5 years in exchange for driver''s feel and sportiness.
Lanchio
post Feb 19 2019, 04:22 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(buyou12 @ Feb 14 2019, 10:22 AM)
Look out for the brand itself. Don't think BMW make lasting cars. Most parts design to break within 5 years in exchange for driver''s feel and sportiness.
Nope, not make em like the old days. Just heard yesterday F10, electric water pump mati after 4 years (RM1200+ excluding labour), the air conditioning buttons lost the printing (rub off due to wear & tear), rim lug nuts tightened (at outside tyre shop) using airgun & lug nuts jam/stuck. Got to "welding" the lug nuts out (habis the rim hitam kena welding).

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0558sec    1.88    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st February 2019 - 01:44 AM