Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Cost of Win10 installation on new SSD, Trying to understand market cost...

aherdofturtles
post Feb 11 2019, 05:59 PM, updated 6d ago

Group: Newbie

Hi all,

I have a pc with win7 on an old hdd.
I'm looking to benchmark RM650 quote for the following:

- Cost of new 240gb Kingston SSD
- Install above SSD
- Install win10 on SSD and activate using my old win7 code
- Uninstall win7 on hdd and keep hdd as data drive

Seems I'm paying about RM500 for the service as the win10 activation code is not included. Isn't a bit steep? What am I missing here?

Thx bros

nichoclon
post Feb 11 2019, 06:06 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

what is the SSD model? does it include retaining all the data as well?
netmatrix
post Feb 11 2019, 06:23 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
Group: Senior Member

Assuming your SSD in question is Kingston A400 240GB @ RM150.00.

Download NirSoft Product Key to view you windows 7 installation code. (Free)

Download Windows 10 with media creation tool straight to USB drive. (Free)

Connect new SSD install windows. Key in product key. Finish install & do full windows update.

I do not know why the total cost would specifically be RM650 if you do it yourself. The most for reformatting a hard disk is RM150 with simple data transfer from old hard disk. RM200 or more if you want help to reinstall the apps that were in the old hdd. Free if you do it yourself or your friend/ relative/ IT staff to do it.

Because this job is the easiest if it just involves adding a drive and installing new windows. Unless you are adding additional hardware like RAM or a bigger SSD sized or better brand SSD that cost more. I would understand it would cost more to open up some laptops that has the drive installed deep inside the motherboard and chassis. The most a branded laptop service center charges for opening up a laptop is RM180.00 the last i saw.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Feb 11 2019, 06:26 PM
PJng
post Feb 11 2019, 09:17 PM

Regular

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Feb 11 2019, 06:23 PM)
Assuming your SSD in question is Kingston A400 240GB @ RM150.00.

Download NirSoft Product Key to view you windows 7 installation code. (Free)

Download Windows 10 with media creation tool straight to USB drive. (Free)

Connect new SSD install windows. Key in product key. Finish install & do full  windows update.

I do not know why the total cost would specifically be RM650 if you do it yourself. The most for reformatting a hard disk is RM150 with simple data transfer from old hard disk. RM200 or more if you want help to reinstall the apps that were in the old hdd. Free if you do it yourself or your friend/ relative/ IT staff to do it.

Because this job is the easiest if it just involves adding a drive and installing new windows. Unless you are adding additional hardware like RAM or a bigger SSD sized or better brand SSD that cost more. I would understand it would cost more to open up some laptops that has the drive installed deep inside the motherboard and chassis. The most a branded laptop service center charges for opening up a laptop is RM180.00 the last i saw.
Open computer install something cost RM180?
I change alot of part on my desktop all install myself, mean i save alot?
Only PSU not.
WebWalker
post Feb 11 2019, 09:21 PM

Computer Geek

QUOTE(PJng @ Feb 11 2019, 09:17 PM)
Only PSU not.
He is refer opening notebook cost, it is much complicated than desktop pc.
netmatrix
post Feb 11 2019, 09:24 PM

QUOTE(PJng @ Feb 11 2019, 09:17 PM)
Only PSU not.
The people that does professional formatting will not even start formatting without testing the pc first. Hence the high price. You think la if your pc hang due to bad sector and you request reformat to solve problem. If you paid RM180 and the pc still hang, you think you would not start a forum thread talking about scam & overcharge? laugh.gif

The typical my friend format for free only applies if your friend knows what to do to solve problem instead of relying on him to reformat a pc for the price of a starbucks drink. laugh.gif Still cry after format does not solve problem. laugh.gif

The other thing is TS state exactly RM650 for reformatting and a specific 240GB SSD size. So i was wondering what that price is all about?
aherdofturtles
post Feb 11 2019, 09:31 PM

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Feb 11 2019, 09:24 PM)
The people that does professional formatting will not even start formatting without testing the pc first. Hence the high price. You think la if your pc hang due to bad sector and you request reformat to solve problem. If you paid RM180 and the pc still hang, you think you would not start a forum thread talking about scam & overcharge?  laugh.gif

The typical my friend format for free only applies if your friend knows what to do to solve problem instead of relying on him to reformat a pc for the price of a starbucks drink.  laugh.gif  Still cry after format does not solve problem.  laugh.gif

The other thing is TS state exactly RM650 for reformatting and a specific 240GB SSD size. So i was wondering what that price is all about?
Not accusing people of scamming, just trying to understand the quote better in case I missed something. Rm500 (650-150) is a high number, but it saves me 5 hours of downloading the right drivers and win10 versions.... Wonder if you guys can recommend a good shop contact in pj/ttdi area for me to approach.

netmatrix
post Feb 11 2019, 10:04 PM

QUOTE(aherdofturtles @ Feb 11 2019, 09:31 PM)
Not accusing people of scamming, just trying to understand the quote better in case I missed something. Rm500 (650-150) is a high number, but it saves me 5 hours of downloading the right drivers and win10 versions.... Wonder if you guys can recommend a good shop contact in pj/ttdi area for me to approach.
I'm still thinking what is the breakdown of the RM650..... hmm.gif
karthyhu
post Feb 12 2019, 08:54 AM

Regular

my only question is

Now still can use win7 cd key to get win 10 license for free ?
netmatrix
post Feb 12 2019, 10:18 AM

QUOTE(karthyhu @ Feb 12 2019, 08:54 AM)
my only question is

Now still can use win7 cd key to get win 10 license for free ?
You can install Windows 10 with genuine windows 7 key without any registration or red tape.
karthyhu
post Feb 12 2019, 10:46 AM

Regular

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Feb 12 2019, 10:18 AM)
You can install Windows 10 with genuine windows 7 key without any registration or red tape.
I thought the free upgrade already ended rite
wailam
post Feb 12 2019, 10:52 AM

Casual

QUOTE(karthyhu @ Feb 12 2019, 10:46 AM)
well yes and no. If you got auto update enable the windows will tell you that windows is out of protection and recommend to download windows 10 iso then install it. It still occuring for some laptop and desktop PC till now.

Also RM650 is quite expensive for install win 10 on SSD.
netmatrix
post Feb 12 2019, 11:00 AM

QUOTE(karthyhu @ Feb 12 2019, 10:46 AM)
If you upgrade it does not work anymore. But you can install a fresh copy with your old product key. This i can confirm. Done it to 2 of my old old laptops that i upgraded SSD and ram. One does not have sticker, so u used nirsoft to get that key and install. the other has a sticker at the bottom and can install with the sticker key also.
chocobo7779
post Feb 12 2019, 01:58 PM

Power is nothing without control

QUOTE(aherdofturtles @ Feb 11 2019, 05:59 PM)
Hi all,

- Install above SSD

Seems I'm paying about RM500 for the service as the win10 activation code is not included. Isn't a bit steep? What am I missing here?

Thx bros
Note: you still can upgrade from 7 to 10 for free via Media Creation Tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Just do a simple data backup (use an external HDD for that), then simply reformat the drive and clean install Windows 10 onto the SSD icon_idea.gif

It's much easier to do instead of data migration icon_idea.gif

I think the reason why they charge RM500 likely because it includes a retail Windows 10 Home license icon_idea.gif

A more detailed workflow (if you are willing to DIY)

1. Backup all data from the old HDD (using an external HDD if you have one)
2. Upgrade to Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool (this will not erase any user data from the drive)
3. Replace the HDD with a SSD (note: the Windows license will be tied to your motherboard, and thus your license will remain valid even with a drive swap)
4. Clean install Windows 10 (note: use GPT for best performance)
5. Turn the machine off again, then install the HDD as a second drive (this is to prevent potential conflicts with the SSD)
6. Turn the machine back on again, then reinstall any drivers and programs
7. Copy your data from the external drive back into the HDD icon_idea.gif

If you need further assistance you can always PM me icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Feb 12 2019, 02:09 PM
exdtan
post Feb 16 2019, 11:24 AM

Getting Started

Hi all,

- Install above SSD

Thx bros
No brother you are being ripped off. I got the 480GB version for RM230 and installed it myself. Cost NOTHING MORE.

Even if you bring it to technician they will just clone your HDD to SSD to save time and cost. You dont even need to know your activation code.
Unless you insist on fresh installation, no media creation tool is required.
In your case yes download media creation tool after cloning.

What I did to achieve what you want :
- Bought new SSD and dissemble the laptop myself (you can pay RM50~ service fee for technician to do that + cleaning)
- Download and install Macrium Reflect, its free
- Clone HDD to SDD
- Boot from SSD and perform Windows 10 Upgrade (I assume that was your intention ? Otherwise why the trouble)
- Keep or Wipe HDD clean

This post has been edited by exdtan: Feb 16 2019, 11:26 AM
aherdofturtles
post Feb 17 2019, 10:25 AM

Ok - all fixed guys. I went on kaodim and got multiple quotes. Most if them were below the rm500 service quote. I went with someone that was willing to pick-up / deliver plus make intelligent suggestions like 3.5-2.5 tray, connectors etc. The service charge was rm100, but more importantly he was professional, polite and on-time. I didn't have to give up my weekend learning how to install.
netmatrix
post Feb 17 2019, 03:55 PM

QUOTE(aherdofturtles @ Feb 17 2019, 10:25 AM)
Ok - all fixed guys. I went on kaodim and got multiple quotes. Most if them were below the rm500 service quote. I went with someone that was willing to pick-up / deliver plus make intelligent suggestions like 3.5-2.5 tray, connectors etc. The service charge was rm100, but more importantly he was professional, polite and on-time. I didn't have to give up my weekend learning how to install.
Glad you found someone that met your criteria. thumbsup.gif
birain
post Feb 17 2019, 08:13 PM

良い一日を

Hi all,

- Install above SSD

Thx bros
install the porting software into the old HDD, run the porting program. you can migrate your old win7 into your new SSD together with all you old data/files in it. you don't need to activate again your win7. all it's free, you only waste some time doing the migration work, removing the old HDD and installing the new SSD into the port. laugh.gif

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0680sec    3.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd February 2019 - 02:49 AM