Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones Regarding of headphone connector, needs advices

views

TSvincentlee90
post Feb 10 2019, 01:52 PM, updated 6y ago

Alpha E-mount user
723 posts

hi, i need some ideas.

days ago, i bought brasso metal polisher and applied a small amount into headphone connector for clean it & remove oxidation/stain (sorry i don't exactly able to tell the term). it results of the gold plating/coating are removed, along the oxidation part. will it affect the audio quality or any sides effect?
ClieOS
post Feb 10 2019, 11:05 PM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

The gold plating is actually that to stop the actual oxidation even though it might have a little tarnish over time. A gentle wiping is usually good enough to keep it in working condition. Metal polisher is, IMO, a bad ideal - as you just remove the layer of gold that should have been there to stop oxidation in the long run. Now your headphone jack will just oxidate faster than before and possibly develop rust depends on what metal composition is underneath the gold plating.

It is however not the end of the world. You can still keep using the headphone jack as it is - if it is fine, then leave it be. If any time you start detecting distortion or disconnection, you can always solder in a new headphone jack (or ask someone to do it for you).
TSvincentlee90
post Feb 18 2019, 11:08 PM

Alpha E-mount user
723 posts

QUOTE(ClieOS @ Feb 10 2019, 11:05 PM)
The gold plating is actually that to stop the actual oxidation even though it might have a little tarnish over time. A gentle wiping is usually good enough to keep it in working condition. Metal polisher is, IMO, a bad ideal - as you just remove the layer of gold that should have been there to stop oxidation in the long run. Now your headphone jack will just oxidate faster than before and possibly develop rust depends on what metal composition is underneath the gold plating.

It is however not the end of the world. You can still keep using the headphone jack as it is - if it is fine, then leave it be. If any time you start detecting distortion or disconnection, you can always solder in a new headphone jack (or ask someone to do it for you).
in other words, avoiding from rust and oxidation is the best i can do?
more2teayap
post Feb 19 2019, 11:34 AM

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
2,721 posts

QUOTE(vincentlee90 @ Feb 18 2019, 11:08 PM)
Just use it as per normal, you can't fully avoiding it from oxidation. When one day it fails to work properly, just get the jack replaced and it will work well again. but be sure to take good care to the cable and driver unit wink.gif
ClieOS
post Feb 19 2019, 12:53 PM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

QUOTE(vincentlee90 @ Feb 18 2019, 11:08 PM)
Gold and nickle are very hard to oxidized, which is why they are used for plating in the first place. It is usually the action of plugging in and out that ware them thin over time and expose the underlying metal (copper usually) that are very easy to oxidase. Really good, expensive plug usually has thicker plating that will last longer, but even they will fail some day. As mentioned above, you can always replace them when that day comes. For now, just use them as normal.

This post has been edited by ClieOS: Feb 19 2019, 12:54 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:26 PM