Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Audio Engineering/Music Production

views

TSChips556
post Feb 9 2019, 11:24 PM, updated 6y ago

35 posts

Hi, finished my SPM last year, now awaiting results

Planning to further my studies by pursuing a degree in audio engineering/music production

Checked out a few courses including the ones from UCSI, ICOM & other institutions but most of them offer diplomas, just wondering if there are any other viable options out there ?
cnvery
post Feb 10 2019, 11:27 PM

Regular
1,831 posts

You may look into Ocean Institute of Audio Technology (OIAT)

joe_toye
post Feb 11 2019, 04:01 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Chips556 @ Feb 9 2019, 11:24 PM)

Planning to further my studies by pursuing a degree in audio engineering/music production

Checked out a few courses including the ones from UCSI, ICOM & other institutions but most of them offer diplomas, just wondering if there are any other viable options out there ?
Er...from my limited experience with the sound engineering industry, i find that there are quite limited companies out there. Unless you are talking about sound set-ups for events and all. I might be very wrong.

Have you checked out the industry and career opportunities?
E-Tan
post Feb 19 2019, 11:24 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Chips556 @ Feb 9 2019, 11:24 PM)

I don't think there are local degree courses (yet). :sad: The closest to it would probably be Sunway's BA degree in Contemporary Music Audio Technology, but that has a very wide focus (including video i think) and is more on the production than the engineering side. Producing, mixing, mastering, setup for events, concerts, etc.

On another note, If you're reeeeally keen for the nitty gritty hard technical stuff, going for BSc Electrical Engineering isn't a bad way to start, since it'll arm you with the fundamentals of audio engineering in case you want to do Masters abroad in the future. (Warning: its hard) This will be more of design and R&D of sound stuff like mics, speakers, pedals, keyboards, mixer boards, systems, etc. Companies like Shure, JBL, Boss, Roland, Yamaha etc. If not Masters, you could add a production diploma on top of the technical fundamentals.

(There's also a less popular route, which is to go the physics route and go into acoustics)

This post has been edited by E-Tan: Feb 19 2019, 11:30 PM
xboxrockers
post Feb 19 2019, 11:28 PM

On my way
661 posts

QUOTE(E-Tan @ Feb 19 2019, 11:24 PM)
I don't think there are local degree courses (yet). :sad: The closest to it would probably be Sunway's BA degree in cobtemporary Music Audio Technology, but that has a very wide focus and is more on the production than the engineering side. Producing for events, concerts, etc.

On another note, If you're reeeeally keen for the nitty gritty hard tech stuff, going for BSc Electrical Engineering isn't a bad way to start, since it'll arm you with the fundamentals of audio engineering in case you want to do Masters abroad in the future. This will be more of design and R&D of sound stuff like mics, speakers, pedals, keyboards, mixer boards, systems, etc. Companies like Shure, JBL, Boss, Roland, Yamaha etc

There's also a mich less popular route, which is to go the physics route and go into acoustics.
agree with this. You will have very deep fundamentals on hardware side of it. So you need to ask your self are you kind of person really curious about deep inner workings of acoustics. Plus when you have good Electronics knowledge you could build sound equipment
TSChips556
post Feb 26 2019, 05:26 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(E-Tan @ Feb 19 2019, 11:24 PM)
I don't think there are local degree courses (yet). :sad: The closest to it would probably be Sunway's BA degree in Contemporary Music Audio Technology, but that has a very wide focus (including video i think) and is more on the production than the engineering side. Producing, mixing, mastering, setup for events, concerts, etc.

On another note, If you're reeeeally keen for the nitty gritty hard technical stuff, going for BSc Electrical Engineering isn't a bad way to start, since it'll arm you with the fundamentals of audio engineering in case you want to do Masters abroad in the future. (Warning: its hard) This will be more of design and R&D of sound stuff like mics, speakers, pedals, keyboards, mixer boards, systems, etc. Companies like Shure, JBL, Boss, Roland, Yamaha etc. If not Masters, you could add a production diploma on top of the technical fundamentals.

(There's also a less popular route, which is to go the physics route and go into acoustics)
I'm more keen towards the production side, less of the technical side, just wondering if a degree in audio technology is worth it, if so, which foundation program should I apply for ?
E-Tan
post Feb 28 2019, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Chips556 @ Feb 26 2019, 05:26 PM)
I'm more keen towards the production side, less of the technical side, just wondering if a degree in audio technology is worth it, if so, which foundation program should I apply for ?
If only the production side, I think a diploma would save you quite some money! And production requires lots of experience to train skills - can't really learn it in a classroom.

By 'foundation program' do you mean A-Levels, SPM, matrix and all that? Cuz there is also the uni-specific Foundation course, e.g. Sunway Arts foundation for degree AT Sunway.
TSChips556
post Feb 28 2019, 10:19 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(E-Tan @ Feb 28 2019, 01:20 PM)
If only the production side, I think a diploma would save you quite some money! And production requires lots of experience to train skills - can't really learn it in a classroom.

By 'foundation program' do you mean A-Levels, SPM, matrix and all that? Cuz there is also the uni-specific Foundation course, e.g. Sunway Arts foundation for degree AT Sunway.
Thanks for the insight, I think I will pursue music production on the side, parents come from a very traditional "get a reliable degree" mindset, most likely going for some form of pre-U program then going towards a degree in the financial sector & see where that will take me.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:42 PM