Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LG OLED or SAMSUNG QLED ?

views

Convael
post Dec 20 2021, 03:21 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(Chandra_S. @ Dec 15 2021, 06:06 PM)
MicroLED should be coming out next year, hope that can solve the burn-in problems.
What are you talking about ?

MicroLED has already been " OUT " , for while .

All you need to do is make a call to Samsung now , they will divert you to their Luxury Sales PR department .
They will send a team to inspect your living room the next day and start assembling your unit in Paju .

The price is ranging from 0.5 - 2 millions MYR including Installation and other maintenance fees .

Samsung's focus is on Quantum Dots Blue OLEDs next year .

And if you are expecting MicroLED to become commonly buyable next year, think again.

Last time I checked , there have only been 2 person who ever made such orders from Samsung MY .

Lemme know if you want to become the 3rd one .

This post has been edited by Convael: Dec 20 2021, 03:23 PM
andrekua2
post Dec 20 2021, 03:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Dec 20 2021, 03:21 PM)

All you need to do is make a call to Samsung now , they will divert you to their Luxury Sales PR department .
They will send a team to inspect your living room the next day and start assembling your unit in Paju .
The price is ranging from 0.5 - 2 millions MYR including Installation and other maintenance fees .

And if you are expecting MicroLED to become commonly buyable next year,  think again.
Last time I checked , there have only been 2 person who ever made such orders from Samsung MY .

There is a newer version of backlight coming out next year according to FOMO that will help drive microled tv cost down.

Samsung Electronics had recently sent requests to Samsung Display and AUO to develop a 12.7-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) to apply on its MicroLED TVs, TheElec has learned.

Specifically, the South Korean tech giant has requested that the display panel makers develop low-temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) TFT that it plans to apply on its home MicroLED TVs, sources said.

These TFTs will be applied to 2022 model MicroLED TVs Samsung will launch next year, they added.

TFT act as switches that turn pixels on and off in display panels and is widely used in most flat-panel TVs today.

Samsung’s first 110-inch model MicroLED TV aimed at home had used printed circuit board instead.

The South Korean tech giant’s 99-inch model, which will be launched in 2022 after being initially slated for a launch this year, will continue to be based on PCB but new models of MicroLED TVs going forward will all use LTPS TFT instead, the sources said.

LTPS TFT is being applied by Samsung as it plans to launch smaller-sized MicroLED TVs going forward.

LTPS TFT allows the TVs to have individual driver circuits, which will allow MicroLED TVs to reach 4K resolution. It is difficult to achieve 4K resolution with PCB.

Samsung is planning to apply LTPS TFT for the 89-inch, 101-inch and 114-inch MicroLED TVs that it will launch next year.

However, how much the application of LTPS TFT will cost will be a key issue for the South Korean tech giant.

Meanwhile, LTPS TFT for MicroLED will require 24 masks for production. The high number of masks is due to the increased number of transistors and circuits needed on the TFT. By comparison, a Gen 6 OLED requires 11 to 12 masks. The more masks there are needed during production, the more complicated the production process becomes.

Samsung had originally planned to launch MicroLED TV in the 70-inch and 80-inch ranges with LTPS TFT. However, it has scrapped the plan to launch a 70-inch range model next year, as making a 4K resolution 70-inch MicroLED TV is costly while the size is unattractive for the market when there are better and cheaper TVs that use liquid crystal display and OLED for consumers.
Convael
post Dec 20 2021, 03:35 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Dec 20 2021, 03:31 PM)
There is a newer version of backlight coming out next year according to FOMO that will help drive microled tv cost down.
Yea right , because FOMO is an absolutely credible source . Oh wait Sony is not yet bankrupt while he is still making videos thumbup.gif .

Cheaper or not it is still going to be 6 figures .

Also , you are talking to someone who deal in the business and actually know the basic cost of manufacturing a self emissive panel .

An asking price for a OLED 65 " is 500 usd .

Micro-OLED is at least 100 times of that last time I check .

And thank you for linking me news , but you are at least 6 months late :

According to a new report from Korea, Samsung Electronics canceled its plans to release these smaller microLED TVs, as the company could not reduce prices enough and the asking price for a 77" microLED would not be attractive to customers.

Instead of the smaller-sized options, Samsung will focus on larger models - 88-inch, 101-inch and 114-inch. All these TVs will be based on an LTPS panel, and not on PCB like Samsung's current microLEDs. According to the report, the company is looking to source the TFT backplane from either Samsung Display or AU Optronics.

Last but not least , LTPS is not backlight ... sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Convael: Dec 20 2021, 03:51 PM
andrekua2
post Dec 28 2021, 03:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Dec 20 2021, 03:35 PM)
Last but not least , LTPS is not backlight ...  sweat.gif
I think this is a bit like Hisense DUAL panel... using the second panel as backlight for more control zones.
jagadis
post Jan 3 2022, 11:47 AM

Aspire to Inspire before we expire
1,102 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Dec 20 2021, 03:21 PM)

And if you are expecting MicroLED to become commonly buyable next year,  think again.

Quite interesting. So it seems like Samsung is finally biting the bullet to join the OLED movement?

I've read some scholarly articles on blue OLED with quantum dots. It seems like Samsung will be able to solve the reliability issue related to OLED panels.

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:04 PM