Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Help! Decrypt iPhone back up file that Apple engin, Unable to restore iphone backup

views

TSn3tster
post Feb 8 2019, 11:19 AM, updated 6y ago

5 posts

Hi,
I am seeking an expert/hacker/programmer to recover the family photos that I have back up from my iPhone some time ago. I have tried all means to solve this problem (Apple support, 3rd party vendor such as Decipher Back Up, Phone Rescue, etc) but no one can recover the photos that I have back up in iTunes.
This is what had happened:
1. Got a new iPhone, so decided to do full back up of old iPhone in iTunes (back up to computer) before restoring to the new iPhone.
2. Ticked the “Encrypt Iphone backup”.
3. iTunes displayed messages that backup is successful.
4. Plug out old iPhone & plug in new iPhone.
5. Click “Restore Backup”
6. Halfway through the backup process, it just stopped completely & the phone restarted by itself without anything restored.
7. After reading various sources, I used “Decipher Backup Repair” to repair the backup file.
8. I managed to restore the photos & videos into my iPhone but iPhone cannot read the file. I can only see blank squares in Photos & Videos.
Please contact me if you know how to solve this (or someone that you know).
Thanks in advance!

WebWalker
post Feb 8 2019, 08:38 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

What happen to your old phone?
You can backup again without encryption.

p/s I hope you didn't reset or sold off your old phone (without properly transfer all your data to new phone)

This post has been edited by WebWalker: Feb 8 2019, 08:41 PM
Mackiddo
post Feb 10 2019, 05:38 PM

† St. David †
5,851 posts

have you update your new iPhone to the latest iOS? can try with another iPhone as well.
TSn3tster
post Feb 14 2019, 06:14 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Feb 8 2019, 08:38 PM)
What happen to your old phone?
You can backup again without encryption.

p/s I hope you didn't reset or sold off your old phone (without properly transfer all your data to new phone)
I reformatted the old phone while restoring the back up to the new phone. Phone already sold off. sad.gif
TSn3tster
post Feb 14 2019, 06:15 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(Mackiddo @ Feb 10 2019, 05:38 PM)
have you update your new iPhone to the latest iOS? can try with another iPhone as well.
All done. Not working. I need an expert now.
tanghm
post Feb 14 2019, 08:16 PM

SSRI Addict
1,971 posts

The backup password was set by you in your old phone and its used to encrypt your backup.

I had the same experience when I send my phone in to change battery, should not have used the encrypted backup feature but just normal backup.

End up I had to used a 3 weeks old iCloud backup to restore.

Reference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
TSn3tster
post Feb 15 2019, 12:41 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(tanghm @ Feb 14 2019, 08:16 PM)
The backup password was set by you in your old phone and its used to encrypt your backup.

I had the same experience when I send my phone in to change battery, should not have used the encrypted backup feature but just normal backup.

End up I had to used a 3 weeks old iCloud backup to restore.

Reference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
Yes regret ticking that encrypt function. Caused me lots of issue. Apple engineers said the back up process was not successful (although I remembered it was successful) and the encryption key is lost. Is there anyone who is pro in encryption? How to decrypt this?
WebWalker
post Feb 15 2019, 07:05 AM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

QUOTE(n3tster @ Feb 15 2019, 12:41 AM)
Yes regret ticking that encrypt function. Caused me lots of issue. Apple engineers said the back up process was not successful (although I remembered it was successful) and the encryption key is lost. Is there anyone who is pro in encryption? How to decrypt this?
No one in the world can break strong encryption.
(all online banking are using encryption, if it is breakable, then all online banking have to be cancelled)
Nothing much you can do about it, just move on

This post has been edited by WebWalker: Feb 15 2019, 07:15 AM
TSn3tster
post Feb 25 2019, 02:53 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Feb 15 2019, 07:05 AM)
No one in the world can break strong encryption.
(all online banking are using encryption, if it is breakable, then all online banking have to be cancelled)
Nothing much you can do about it, just move on
This is really bad news.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:27 PM