Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom
Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Is 2005 Toyota COROLA ALTIS 1.8 a good buy ?

views

TS dexterdan
post Feb 7 2019, 03:33 PM, updated 3 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi all ,

Just want to ask any owner opinions here. Is the 2nd hand of 2005 Toyota Corola Altis 1.8 a good reliable car ? Any known issues for engine and gearbox ? Plan to use cash to buy a 2nd hand Sedan car, it should be comfortable.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
amdxp
post Feb 7 2019, 03:40 PM

Getting Started

Old Altis has engine oil consumption issue, are you willing to spend a few thousand RM to get it fixed if happens ?
Thrust
post Feb 7 2019, 03:40 PM

Power To The People!!!
Group: Senior Member

Nope. Not worth the RM18000 for a 2005 or a 19 year old car.
littlefire
post Feb 7 2019, 03:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(dexterdan @ Feb 7 2019, 04:33 PM)
Hi all ,

Just want to ask any owner opinions here. Is the 2nd hand of 2005 Toyota Corola Altis 1.8 a good reliable car ? Any known issues for engine and gearbox ? Plan to use cash to buy a  2nd hand Sedan car, it should be comfortable.
If it is maintain well be4, should be a good buy. Not much issue for a well maintain Toyota Altis.

Take note is the 'Actual' engine mileage & chassis (Check for any serious accident rework mark before), ask a trusted mechanic to follow you go to inspect the car condition before decide to buy. A lot of 2nd shop, even some owners will ask some 'pro' to adjust their meter mileage to look less mileage but is just a smokescreen.

A well experience mechanic can help check the engine condition by listening the sound, internal & exterior engine condition & test drive to estimate the actual mileage. If 'actual' engine mileage is over 200k be standby around 4~5k for major overhauling, engine mounting, Absorber & lower arm bush change.

BTW, if your mechanic told you need to spend another 4~5k to fix, 18k for that Altis is not worth it; Unless the previous owner already did all the major overhauling before selling it.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Feb 7 2019, 03:51 PM
digilife
post Feb 7 2019, 04:40 PM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.

Yes, go ahead.

But first year of ownership, need spend abt rm3000 to fix all the issues

Then 2nd year onward, it will be less to maintain it.

Car is stable compared to the upcar kings, Vios/City/Myvi but FC is a bit high due to heavier car. Saver to drive on expressway too
Zot
post Feb 7 2019, 04:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Check if they have maintenance record, which I doubt. Check for mileage. Assume normally driven like car warranty 20k per year distance.
therain01
post Feb 7 2019, 06:19 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Thrust @ Feb 7 2019, 03:40 PM)
Nope. Not worth the RM18000 for a 2005 or a 19 year old car.
But... But... But it has a T in front there.
netmatrix
post Feb 7 2019, 07:02 PM

The machine... it sees everything.

This car has same 1.8L engine as the last gen Celica. Toyota GOA body was the best at that time. Heavy, but solid and safe.

For the price, seems like good buy. But the thing is, need to get someone, like a trusted mechanic to inspect it properly if you are buying it off used car lot.

Of course like everyone else, wanna buy it at lowest price possible. Impossible price is RM10K. Nice price is RM15K. RM18K is the price you pay to finalize the car to perfect condition for your needs.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Feb 7 2019, 07:05 PM
Deja Vu
post Feb 7 2019, 07:05 PM

Regular

If you want a no frills comfort based sedan that's able to run at highway speeds with ease within rm20k, then there`s not much wrong with the 1st gen Altis. The smooth 4-spd auto has well proportioned ratios for quick get up and go in urban use.

Back when I was searching for 1 years ago (roughly 9 to 10 yr old car back then), a common issue that I kept seeing is failed power window motor and the rear suspension that sags easily under full load. By now I think many should be clocking about 200k-250k mileage.

And just to clarify a bit, it's Toyota`s 2.4L 2AZ-FE that has the common oil burning issue.
Fenix98
post Feb 7 2019, 08:06 PM

QUOTE(littlefire @ Feb 7 2019, 03:44 PM)
If it is maintain well be4, should be a good buy. Not much issue for a well maintain Toyota Altis.

Take note is the 'Actual' engine mileage & chassis (Check for any serious accident rework mark before), ask a trusted mechanic to follow you go to inspect the car condition before decide to buy. A lot of 2nd shop, even some owners will ask some 'pro' to adjust their meter mileage to look less mileage but is just a smokescreen.

A well experience mechanic can help check the engine condition by listening the sound, internal & exterior engine condition & test drive to estimate the actual mileage. If 'actual' engine mileage is over 200k be standby around 4~5k for major overhauling, engine mounting, Absorber & lower arm bush change.

BTW, if your mechanic told you need to spend another 4~5k to fix, 18k for that Altis is not worth it; Unless the previous owner already did all the major overhauling before selling it.
Agree with above poster you will need to change a lot of parts, irregardless it it was driven or not, rubber bushes and mounts harden and dry out over time, even when not driven after 10+++ years, best if you buy the parts yourself from the spare part dealer and fix them at ur trusted mechanic. You will save a lot this way.

Best too have the Car put on hydraulic lifter for complete inspection of what’s going on underneath too. But I believe always buycondition.... you will probably spend 3 - 4K even though it’s in good condition. Check if coolant has been used any rust from the cooling system AVOID.After that it’s a toyoda... the thing is built to run for a long time. Had a Toyota SEG before and it never broke down...... ever.... it was abused very hard but I always service it on time and whatever need replacing I replaced not too be stranded on the road since it was so old.... when it was time I sold it off in 2 weeks too a young kid.... who said he wanted it. I thought he was joking..... 😂 I spent around 2K in total for repairs while having it. And I sold it at profit.... 🤪🤪🤪😝 unheard off.
Fenix98
post Feb 7 2019, 08:52 PM

After doing some reading thru the posts just wanted to find out more about 1ZZ oil consumption issue, which is quite shocking to me. Better to topup and get the face lifted version with the engine update fix.

Copy/Paste

Not sure if this should be in Technical, but as it affects a lot of models thought I'd post here... HJ has updated the car review section in brief, but thought I'd expand on it here for the benefit of all.

In short, all Toyota VVT-I 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8L engines (1zz 1.8, 3zz 1.6 & 4zz 1.4) made from 2000 to mid 2005 may suffer from excessive oil consumption of 1L/600miles. As far as I can tell, neither the smaller 1.0 & 1.3 engines, not the 2.0 & larger VVTI engines had this problem.

The cause was insufficient oil capacity, poor piston and piston ring design. This led to the oil-ways sludging up, eventually causing hardened oil around the rings to misshape the bores.

The fix was re-designed pistons, rings and short block.

For older Toyota’s made before about July 2005, Toyota could retrofit these to the existing engine, having extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years.

After about July 2005 this fix was applied to new build Toyota’s, so these should not suffer this issue.

So, what does this mean if, like me, you were looking at a used petrol Toyota?

1. Purchase a VVT-I engined Toyota made after July 2005, apart from some Corolla’s which were fixed from Sept 2005. So get the VIN, and check with Toyota UK.

2. If getting an older model - check with Toyota UK if the fix has been applied already AS THAT WARRANTY WILL NO LONGER APPLY!

Cheers.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101823

netmatrix
post Feb 8 2019, 12:03 AM

The machine... it sees everything.

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Feb 7 2019, 07:05 PM)
If you want a no frills comfort based sedan that's able to run at highway speeds with ease within rm20k, then there`s not much wrong with the 1st gen Altis. The smooth 4-spd auto has well proportioned ratios for quick get up and go in urban use.

Back when I was searching for 1 years ago (roughly 9 to 10 yr old car back then), a common issue that I kept seeing is failed power window motor and the rear suspension that sags easily under full load. By now I think many should be clocking about 200k-250k mileage.

And just to clarify a bit, it's Toyota`s 2.4L 2AZ-FE that has the common oil burning issue.
1st gen Altis in Malaysia only had 1.6L & 1.8L. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Feb 8 2019, 12:04 AM
iverice
post Feb 8 2019, 12:35 AM

the shock and spring of this car is vwry very soft
perhaps need to chg to stiffer aftermarket shock.
voscar
post Feb 8 2019, 02:10 AM

Casual

Used to own this Altis for short duration of 2 years. Heavy engine oil consumption, noisy gearbox woo woo noise at 50-80km/h, noisy kluk kluk suspension noise which I've spent thousands to replace lower arm, steering rack end, steering rack mount, absorbers, absorber link but nothing fixed it...
Driving on highway above 120kph will not feel the tyre on the road, steering wheel light feel like flying..
Chrix
post Feb 8 2019, 09:09 AM

Getting Started

Worth is relative, worth for someone else may not be worth for u, and vise versa.

But for the money, is it a good buy as a car?, absolutely.

Take into consideration the cost to purchase, cost to run, cost to repair and resale (if ever). Better if you buy from private sellers, as they are many for sale. Only "costly" (RMxxx) repair I had since 2014 was radiator.

Early 1zzfe (1.8) has oil consumption issue... but I've just been topping up the oil as needed, not a big issue. Bigger issue are people who dont even know their brakes require fluid & just continue driving as oblivious as ever. I believe facelifted 2005- has been resolved via larger oil passage in pistons.

This Altis is my most trouble free car I've ever owned, & most fuel efficient.

My other past/present cars; so you may have a comparison to;
2005 Satria 1.5 (m)
1990 SE (m) (4age blacktop)
1985 KE70 (m) (red top 4AGE)
1994 E36 (m) (M50 manual)
2006 Wish 2.0

All other parts are just wear/tear just like any other xx year vehicle. Replace as needed.
Deja Vu
post Feb 8 2019, 09:20 AM

Regular

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Feb 7 2019, 08:52 PM)
After doing some reading thru the posts  just wanted to find out more about 1ZZ oil consumption issue, which is quite shocking to me. Better to topup and get the face lifted version with the engine update fix.
Copy/Paste

Not sure if this should be in Technical, but as it affects a lot of models thought I'd post here... HJ has updated the car review section in brief, but thought I'd expand on it here for the benefit of all.

In short, all Toyota VVT-I 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8L engines (1zz 1.8, 3zz 1.6 & 4zz 1.4) made from 2000 to mid 2005 may suffer from excessive oil consumption of 1L/600miles. As far as I can tell, neither the smaller 1.0 & 1.3 engines, not the 2.0 & larger VVTI engines had this problem.

The cause was insufficient oil capacity, poor piston and piston ring design. This led to the oil-ways sludging up, eventually causing hardened oil around the rings to misshape the bores.

The fix was re-designed pistons, rings and short block.

For older Toyota’s made before about July 2005, Toyota could retrofit these to the existing engine, having extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years.

After about July 2005 this fix was applied to new build Toyota’s, so these should not suffer this issue.

So, what does this mean if, like me, you were looking at a used petrol Toyota?

1. Purchase a VVT-I engined Toyota made after July 2005, apart from some Corolla’s which were fixed from Sept 2005. So get the VIN, and check with Toyota UK.

2. If getting an older model - check with Toyota UK if the fix has been applied already AS THAT WARRANTY WILL NO LONGER APPLY!

Cheers.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101823
In general its always recommended to get the newest batch if one is eyeing a particular model, mainly because they usually might already have ironed out some of the earlier batch's issues or value-added them, and most importantly clocked the lowest mileage (in theory).

The newer 1.8G has a classier darker-colored wood panels, while the final batch before the 10th generation had Camry-like Optitron meter cluster. And the factory 16" wheels makes it a bit more stable than the pre-facelift's standard 15".

Still as a used car owner, bring along a trustworthy mechanic to inspect the vehicle as I tend to see more used Toyotas clocking much higher mileage than other makes of the same vintage, ie. there's plenty of wear and tear parts due.

This post has been edited by Deja Vu: Feb 8 2019, 09:21 AM
digilife
post Feb 8 2019, 09:33 AM

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Feb 8 2019, 12:03 AM)
1st gen Altis in Malaysia only had 1.6L & 1.8L.  laugh.gif
knn, he referring to the Camry engine la
digilife
post Feb 8 2019, 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Chrix @ Feb 8 2019, 09:09 AM)
Worth is relative, worth for someone else may not be worth for u, and vise versa.

But for the money, is it a good buy as a car?, absolutely.

Take into consideration the cost to purchase, cost to run, cost to repair and resale (if ever). Better if you buy from private sellers, as they are many for sale. Only "costly" (RMxxx) repair I had since 2014 was radiator.

Early 1zzfe (1.8) has oil consumption issue... but I've just been topping up the oil as needed, not a big issue. Bigger issue are people who dont even know their brakes require fluid & just continue driving as oblivious as ever. I believe facelifted 2005- has been resolved via larger oil passage in pistons.

This Altis is my most trouble free car I've ever owned, & most fuel efficient.

My other past/present cars; so you may have a comparison to;
2005 Satria 1.5 (m)
1990 SE (m) (4age blacktop)
1985 KE70 (m) (red top 4AGE)
1994 E36 (m) (M50 manual)
2006 Wish 2.0

All other parts are just wear/tear just like any other xx year vehicle. Replace as needed.
well said

thumbsup.gif

btw, wat car/s are you driving now ?

among your stable, the 1994 drew my attention M50 manual tranny brows.gif would love to have it if you wanna sell
silverwave
post Feb 8 2019, 09:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!

This is a reliable car and it's quite easy to maintain but do get one with full Toyota service records.
Thrust
post Feb 8 2019, 09:44 AM

Power To The People!!!

QUOTE(voscar @ Feb 8 2019, 02:10 AM)
Used to own this Altis for short duration of 2 years. Heavy engine oil consumption, noisy gearbox woo woo noise at 50-80km/h, noisy kluk kluk suspension noise which I've spent thousands to replace lower arm, steering rack end, steering rack mount, absorbers, absorber link but nothing fixed it...
Driving on highway above 120kph will not feel the tyre on the road, steering wheel light feel like flying..
You bought it used?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0885sec    1.89    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2019 - 10:43 AM