Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lateral pulldown - safe for spinal decompression?

views

TSplumberly
post Feb 6 2019, 03:55 PM, updated 6y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Noted the other day that I was stretching my spines when doing the lateral pulldown (when the weight is about my body weight).

Like to know from those in the medical or physiotherapy field whether this is safe or not as long as one is not over doing it.

Thanks.
SUSslimey
post Feb 6 2019, 04:52 PM

6,914 posts

erm........what issue do you have?

people do pull up and chin out all the time with no issues.
TSplumberly
post Feb 6 2019, 06:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Feb 6 2019, 04:52 PM)
erm........what issue do you have?

people do pull up and chin out all the time with no issues.
The other day noted the stretch in my spines when I was doing the lateral pulldown. Then asked myself is this safe? Will I damage my spinal cord etc.

Did some search on the web, some people recommend this as a relief due to the compression load the spines take every minute.

So ...

eekhai
post Feb 7 2019, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
218 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Feb 6 2019, 03:55 PM)
Noted the other day that I was stretching my spines when doing the lateral pulldown (when the weight is about my body weight).

Like to know from those in the medical or physiotherapy field whether this is safe or not as long as one is not over doing it.

Thanks.
Lat pulldown is for lat muscle strengthening, with other arm muscles as well, as long u keep ur posture in neutral position, u should be fine. Reminder... Use 1RM to determine ur max weight in one repetition, and use 60% of weight for strengthening the muscles u wanna to, and prevent injury.

Trust me, I'm a physiotherapist.

This post has been edited by eekhai: Feb 7 2019, 09:27 AM
TSplumberly
post Feb 7 2019, 09:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(eekhai @ Feb 7 2019, 09:26 AM)
Lat pulldown is for lat muscle strengthening, with other arm muscles as well, as long u keep ur posture in neutral position, u should be fine. Reminder... Use 1RM to determine ur max weight in one repetition, and use 60% of weight for strengthening the muscles u wanna to, and prevent injury.

Trust me, I'm a physiotherapist.
Thanks!

AA
Please clarify what is meant by posture in neutral position? Keep back straight while doing the pull down?

BB
While doing my 3rd set at weight close to my body weight, started noting the pull in my spine, upper half and lower half, depending on my back positioning. Think I can still do heavier weight later but a warning bell rings in my head. Will I do damage to my spine? Thus asking for advice to consider.

Correct me if I am wrong here. I can increase the weight by 1 level till I can only do 1 repetition. And that is the maximum weight I should be doing?

But that is looking at the lateral muscle strength and not spine integrity. Please help this dump rookie. Thanks.

eekhai
post Feb 7 2019, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
218 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Feb 7 2019, 09:43 AM)
Thanks!

AA
Please clarify what is meant by posture in neutral position? Keep back straight while doing the pull down?

BB
While doing my 3rd set at weight close to my body weight, started noting the pull in my spine, upper half and lower half, depending on my back positioning. Think I can still do heavier weight later but a warning bell rings in my head. Will I do damage to my spine? Thus asking for advice to consider.

Correct me if I am wrong here. I can increase the weight by 1 level till I can only do 1 repetition. And that is the maximum weight I should be doing?

But that is looking at the lateral muscle strength and not spine integrity. Please help this dump rookie. Thanks.
Neutral spine n pelvic position
https://youtu.be/xuELIEPIzug
Learn how to control it, is not easy to control it, but this will prevent injury, and good exercise.

BB question I'm not really understand what do u mean...
But start from 60% of 1RM, meaning example, ur maximum weight to perform bicep curl is 10kg in one rep with full range of motion., then start training in 6kg of weight for bicep curl, until one day u can improve ur 1RM meaning u able to perform 12kg in one rep., then u can level up to 7.2kg or 7.5kg training.

Remember, to improve strength is not abt the heavier the better, is abt how well and proper way u train, with injury prevention.

Note: is fine from 60 to 70% since some equipment don't have decimal point.

This post has been edited by eekhai: Feb 7 2019, 10:38 AM
TSplumberly
post Feb 7 2019, 11:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(eekhai @ Feb 7 2019, 10:19 AM)
Neutral spine n pelvic position
https://youtu.be/xuELIEPIzug
Learn how to control it, is not easy to control it, but this will prevent injury, and good exercise.

BB question I'm not really understand what do u mean...
But start from 60% of 1RM, meaning example, ur maximum weight to perform bicep curl is 10kg in one rep with full range of motion., then start training in 6kg of weight for bicep curl, until one day u can improve ur 1RM meaning u able to perform 12kg in one rep., then u can level up to 7.2kg or 7.5kg training.

Remember,  to improve strength is not abt the heavier the better, is abt how well and proper way u train, with injury prevention.

Note: is fine from 60 to 70% since some equipment don't have decimal point.
Many thanks.

Good video. But how to tell whether it is right when sitting down for the lateral pulldown? Guess I will keep my body straight up, not leaning forward or backward.

On my BB, I do not know what weight is my 1RM yet for the pulldown. Maybe in my next workout, I will slowly add weights till I cant do it anymore.

My original plan is

set 1 x 8 a kg
set 2 x 6 a + b kg
set 3 x 4 a + b + c kg

About a month or 2 later, then increase with b, b + c, b + c + d kg

And continue the gradual increase as long as I can take it. Then I will know what s my 1RM.

Cheerio.

eekhai
post Feb 7 2019, 01:43 PM

Getting Started
218 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Feb 7 2019, 11:39 AM)
Many thanks.

Good video. But how to tell whether it is right when sitting down for the lateral pulldown? Guess I will keep my body straight up, not leaning forward or backward.

On my BB, I do not know what weight is my 1RM yet for the pulldown. Maybe in my next workout, I will slowly add weights till I cant do it anymore.

My original plan is

set 1 x 8  a kg
set 2 x 6  a + b kg
set 3 x 4  a + b + c kg

About a month or 2 later, then increase with b, b + c, b + c + d kg

And continue the gradual  increase as long as I can take it. Then I will know what s my 1RM.

Cheerio.
Same thing on sitting, go forward n backward of ur pelvic than stop at the middle, that's ur neutral position.
You have to find your 1RM, keep adding weight untill u can't perform with full range of motion, than the previous weight is ur 1RM. Remember is only one repetition.

This post has been edited by eekhai: Feb 7 2019, 01:45 PM
TSplumberly
post Feb 7 2019, 02:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(eekhai @ Feb 7 2019, 01:43 PM)
Same thing on sitting, go forward n backward of ur pelvic than stop at the middle, that's ur neutral position.
You have to find your 1RM, keep adding weight untill u can't perform with full range of motion, than the previous weight is ur 1RM. Remember is only one repetition.
Thanks for your sharing !

Cheerio.

TSplumberly
post Feb 8 2019, 10:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(eekhai @ Feb 7 2019, 01:43 PM)
Just realised a mistake. By lateral pulldown and the spine decompression, I was referring to the rear lateral pulldown (BB in the photo below).

Attached Image

I do both front and rear pulldown.

Feel the spine stretching only for the rear pulldown, though the weights are the same for both.

Some says rear pulldown is bad and front pulldown is more effective. Your view? Why?

Thanks.

greg25
post Feb 8 2019, 10:27 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Feb 6 2019, 03:55 PM)

Thanks.

a)
The lateral pull-down exercise on a machine doesn't "decompress" your spine at all.
You felt it because of the nerves in your lat and lower back muscles - not because of your spine

b)
Lat pull-down machine is generally "safe" because it puts your body posture into recommended
position and keep it that way during the duration of the exercise.

c)
The one thing to remember is - while in contracted position, ie the weight pulled down - DO NOT
twist left or right!

d)
Muscle injury are mainly caused by:-

1) ego - lifting weight beyond one's own strength
2) lack of supervision/initial training on proper form of exercise
3) using the machine for other purposes
4) failure to warm up properly

TSplumberly
post Feb 8 2019, 10:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(greg25 @ Feb 8 2019, 10:27 AM)

a)
The lateral pull-down exercise on a machine doesn't "decompress" your spine at all.
You felt it because of the nerves in your lat and lower back muscles - not because of your spine

b)
Lat pull-down machine is generally "safe" because it puts your body posture into recommended
position and keep it that way during the duration of the exercise.

c)
The one thing to remember is - while in contracted position, ie the weight pulled down - DO NOT
twist left or right!

d)
Muscle injury are mainly caused by:-

1) ego - lifting weight beyond one's own strength
2) lack of supervision/initial training on proper form of exercise
3) using the machine for other purposes
4) failure to warm up properly

Many thanks.

I made a mistake, I should be saying rear lateral pulldown. I can feel the upper and later lower spines pulling apart when the weight is close to my body weight. Maybe it is just my brain playing tricks on me! Ha.

Cheerio.

babychai
post Feb 9 2019, 03:37 PM

I go to work because my name is not in Forbes list
779 posts

Post your video here then we can give feedback your lat pulldown form.
Harry_Bobinski
post Feb 20 2019, 11:49 AM

King of Truth
960 posts

I believe your lat pulldown has problem in your repetition and weight. I can almost confirm that when you let go, you let the weight jerk you upwards (therefore, the suspicion of ego lifting). You have to know that negative rep helps building muscles too. Pull it down slowly and let your muscle let it up slowly as well. I am big but I still do lightweight with high reps and I still can feel muscle hypertrophy
TSplumberly
post Feb 20 2019, 04:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(Harry_Bobinski @ Feb 20 2019, 11:49 AM)
I believe your lat pulldown has problem in your repetition and weight. I can almost confirm that when you let go, you let the weight jerk you upwards (therefore, the suspicion of ego lifting). You have to know that negative rep helps building muscles too. Pull it down slowly and let your muscle let it up slowly as well. I am big but I still do lightweight with high reps and I still can feel muscle hypertrophy
Thanks. Ha ha.

No, I am doing it slowly. Know that quick action is using the momentum to do the job rather than really stressing the muscles.

One strange thing. Took a break during the CNY. On returning to the gym, I dont feel the spine pull anymore (I used lighter weight on returning). Maybe need to do a few more days of this to loosen up the muscles, ligament, etc whatever is there. Ha.

Wait and see.

Harry_Bobinski
post Feb 20 2019, 05:04 PM

King of Truth
960 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Feb 20 2019, 04:42 PM)
Thanks. Ha ha.

No, I am doing it slowly. Know that quick action is using the momentum to do the job rather than really stressing the muscles.

One strange thing. Took a break during the CNY. On returning to the gym, I dont feel the spine pull anymore (I used lighter weight on returning). Maybe need to do a few more days of this to loosen up the muscles, ligament,  etc whatever is there. Ha.

Wait and see.
Start off with a weight that you can do up to 30 reps, now that is your warm-up, then proceed to add around 5-10kg and do another 25, that's your second warm up set, progressively do that until you are able to do 5 sets, if you struggle at, say 60kg for 6 reps, then move back to 35kg for 12 reps. This is of course an example. But in any case, if you are planning to look good, squeeze your muscles correctly cause you are not a powerlifter. Do not listen to the 8-12 reps bull crap. Do what you feel is the best for your body.
TSplumberly
post Feb 20 2019, 08:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(Harry_Bobinski @ Feb 20 2019, 05:04 PM)
Start off with a weight that you can do up to 30 reps, now that is your warm-up, then proceed to add around 5-10kg and do another 25, that's your second warm up set, progressively do that until you are able to do 5 sets, if you struggle at, say 60kg for 6 reps, then move back to 35kg for 12 reps. This is of course an example. But in any case, if you are planning to look good, squeeze your muscles correctly cause you are not a powerlifter. Do not listen to the 8-12 reps bull crap. Do what you feel is the best for your body.
I see. Thanks.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:36 AM