Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My PC hangs often, What can I do?

views

Alexdp21
post May 20 2019, 10:47 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 20 2019, 10:26 PM)
That pc was taken to a repair man and after hearing the beep continuous sound, he says it could be ram. So he took out my rams. They look okay, he says. But he put them into another slot. That seems to have solved the problem. So far ok. Seems like it’s due to faulty ram slots. Alamak, and I thought it’s some serious issue.

Anyway I have a bigger issue now. I received a message from windows telling me my window 7 will stop being supported in January next year. And it goes on to suggest that I go get a new computer. What the ....!!!? I was shocked. I feel that it’s unfair to indirectly forcing us to purchase new PC when it’s still working fine... ok , except the ram slots. 😬 want me to contribute to bill gates / Microsoft income?? And I can’t do anything about it.
You can still use the PC as normal. You only not be able to receive anymore updates from Microsoft beyond that January date. Thats all. Unless you upgrade to Windows 10.
1024kbps
post May 20 2019, 11:29 PM

李素裳
5,780 posts

That pc was taken to a repair man and after hearing the beep continuous sound, he says it could be ram. So he took out my rams. They look okay, he says. But he put them into another slot. That seems to have solved the problem. So far ok. Seems like it’s due to faulty ram slots. Alamak, and I thought it’s some serious issue.

Anyway I have a bigger issue now. I received a message from windows telling me my window 7 will stop being supported in January next year. And it goes on to suggest that I go get a new computer. What the ....!!!? I was shocked. I feel that it’s unfair to indirectly forcing us to purchase new PC when it’s still working fine... ok , except the ram slots. 😬 want me to contribute to bill gates / Microsoft income?? And I can’t do anything about it.
If you're gamer and mostly playing new games, you can install Win 10 over it, or just another partition.
Other hardware vendor will be follow verr soon, since there's no point fixing/developing software/drivers for unsupported OS.
TSdarrenboy
post May 21 2019, 08:59 AM

Enthusiast
733 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ May 20 2019, 11:29 PM)
If you're gamer and mostly playing new games, you can install Win 10 over it, or just another partition.
Other hardware vendor will be follow verr soon, since there's no point fixing/developing software/drivers for unsupported OS.
That’s the main problem. The warning message did say that I could install win10 but it’s no point for devices more than 3 years old. 😞😞😡 there’s still going to be some risks for these older computers due to un-updated OS.
rickymark88
post May 21 2019, 11:12 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

For future use, try disabling startup apps/services that you do not use. CMD -> MSCONFIG . Also, try not to have too many icons or files lying on your desktop. Doing the above should help in decreasing startup times.
1024kbps
post May 21 2019, 10:04 PM

李素裳
5,780 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 21 2019, 08:59 AM)
That’s the main problem. The warning message did say that I could install win10 but it’s no point for devices more than 3 years old. 😞😞😡 there’s still going to be some risks for these older computers due to un-updated OS.
your OS license is tied to your account, but you missed the free upgrade.
You still can install on new machine in the future, and you will not be asked for activation iirc.

I'm gonna try it with virtual machine when i'm free.

No point staying on win 7 anymore, software and driver support going to be ceased.
chocobo7779
post May 21 2019, 10:38 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ Feb 5 2019, 09:19 PM)
My PC hangs very often since last few months. Everything stop moving and I had to force shut down. And to re-start it, I had to wait quite a while before it could restart. Then I hv to choose safe mode or normal. Previously I tried to do defragmentation and it worked for a while. Then it turns worse than before. Now it hangs before I could start doing defragmentation or it stops halfway.

Kindly advice me how I can get my PC back normal function. I am using windows 7. And I am using McAfee antivirus. But the antivirus doesn’t detect any issues. What’s wrong with my PC? What can I do?

P/S: I am not very computer savvy. Take note of this in your advice, ya... 😎
First, remove McAfee - that one is resource hogging icon_idea.gif

Also, your HDD may be dying - consider check your disk health using CrystalDiskInfo icon_idea.gif
chocobo7779
post May 21 2019, 10:41 PM

All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 21 2019, 08:59 AM)
Just upgrade - in fact Windows 10 has almost identical system requirements to Vista (with some additional requirements on CPU instructions) icon_idea.gif
chocobo7779
post May 21 2019, 10:46 PM

All Stars
14,368 posts

A few things - Windows 7 is nearly 10 years old, and Microsoft used to support their OS for 10 years, or even more (see XP) icon_idea.gif

Even Vista, an OS which was released back in 2007, ceased support in 2017 icon_idea.gif

I believe you can still upgrade to 10 for free via the Media Creation Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: May 21 2019, 10:47 PM
TSdarrenboy
post May 21 2019, 11:12 PM

Enthusiast
733 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ May 21 2019, 10:46 PM)
I believe you can still upgrade to 10 for free via the Media Creation Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
Oh - this link still can download for free?

Another thing, if I buy a new pc, I don’t think I need to install win 10 because it should come with it. Right?
sHawTY
post May 22 2019, 12:19 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 21 2019, 11:12 PM)
Another thing, if I buy a new pc, I don’t think I need to install win 10 because it should come with it. Right?
That depends
If you build your own PC, no
If you buy a pre-built PC / laptops, yes & no, depends on the specifications
Some people, like me, prefer to buy a laptop without any OS so I can choose to install the Windows 10 key myself

You have to read through the specifications of the PC / laptop thoroughly before you purchase it
1024kbps
post May 22 2019, 12:51 AM

李素裳
5,780 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 21 2019, 11:12 PM)
Oh - this link still can download for free?

My first Ryzen PC came with free Windows 10, because I upgraded my father PC Windows 7 PC to Win 10 and linked to my account, I logged in my new pc with that account and I paid 0 cent for it sweat.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif brows.gif
7cantona
post May 22 2019, 06:15 AM

On my way
586 posts

window 7 is ancient sweat.gif
u can buy window 10 key from lazada for RM10 cool2.gif
TSdarrenboy
post May 22 2019, 09:08 AM

Enthusiast
733 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ May 22 2019, 06:15 AM)
window 7 is ancient  sweat.gif
u can buy window 10 key from lazada for RM10  cool2.gif
Ok, but as Microsoft has warned, if my pc is > 3 years old, then there’s no point in installing a free win10 anyway. Mine is > 3 yrs. sigh! Need money again to get new one. 😞

This post has been edited by darrenboy: May 22 2019, 09:08 AM
TSdarrenboy
post May 22 2019, 09:09 AM

Enthusiast
733 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ May 22 2019, 12:19 AM)
That depends
If you build your own PC, no
If you buy a pre-built PC / laptops, yes & no, depends on the specifications
Some people, like me, prefer to buy a laptop without any OS so I can choose to install the Windows 10 key myself

You have to read through the specifications of the PC / laptop thoroughly before you purchase it
Build my own pc? Haha... I wish I can. No, I’ll just buy it.
7cantona
post May 22 2019, 10:11 AM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(darrenboy @ May 22 2019, 09:08 AM)
Ok, but as Microsoft has warned, if my pc is > 3 years old, then there’s no point in installing a free win10 anyway. Mine is > 3 yrs. sigh! Need money again to get new one. 😞
actually not just how old ur pc is, more about the spec
bood
post May 22 2019, 10:34 PM

33 posts

try re seat the RAM ... take out, use eraser and rub rub the gold part (no need rub very hard) and put back.

i do this every few months when my pc starts hanging for no reason.

i do this to my credit card chip also when petrol station pump cant read my card.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:18 AM