Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Enquiries/Recommendations ROG Mothership Design, Practical Design Choice or Not?

views

TSAphonite
post Jan 29 2019, 04:31 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
233 posts

I'm sure many of you have seen this new ROG Mothership from CES. Supposedly the CPU, GPU, and what not are on the monitor side rather than on the keyboard side. Is this really a practical design choice especially for cooling and if so, why have laptop manufacturers not do this from the start? rclxub.gif
Orzie
post Jan 29 2019, 04:37 PM

Casual
335 posts

I think it is similar concept with AIO desktops, but packed in more firepower and portability.
Asus is probably testing the market with this product, once the trend took off then they will have advantage in the market.
ZM Fong
post Jan 29 2019, 05:21 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

Price is a big no aldy. Either you get laptop or desktop
Pharamain
post Jan 31 2019, 03:23 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

Welp, they just making something new to WOW the market, not worth buying and i'm sure it wont be mass produce.
TSAphonite
post Feb 2 2019, 10:09 PM

Getting Started
233 posts

QUOTE(Orzie @ Jan 29 2019, 04:37 PM)
I think it is similar concept with AIO desktops, but packed in more firepower and portability.
Asus is probably testing the market with this product, once the trend took off then they will have advantage in the market.
Hmm, I suppose so. Seems like they claiming better airflow and what not but I don't quite get it. Also, if that is true, always wondered why such a design didn't happen before rclxub.gif

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jan 29 2019, 05:21 PM)
Price is a big no aldy. Either you get laptop or desktop
Eh, is price for the thing out already? Or international price?

QUOTE(Pharamain @ Jan 31 2019, 03:23 PM)
Welp, they just making something new to WOW the market, not worth buying and i'm sure it wont be mass produce.
Personally curious but not sure if I'm willing to sacrifice a lot of money for it sweat.gif
pandera999
post Feb 8 2019, 04:48 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(Aphonite @ Jan 29 2019, 04:31 PM)
I'm sure many of you have seen this new ROG Mothership from CES. Supposedly the CPU, GPU, and what not are on the monitor side rather than on the keyboard side. Is this really a practical design choice especially for cooling and if so, why have laptop manufacturers not do this from the start?  rclxub.gif
If talking about review considering everything include pricing.. i love listen to dave oppinion nod.gif

incubus_skj
post Feb 11 2019, 05:30 PM

Watame Shogun
1,746 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Feb 8 2019, 04:48 PM)
If talking about review considering everything include pricing.. i love listen to dave oppinion  nod.gif

after watching this, i will wait for a year before getting an RTX laptop liao laugh.gif laugh.gif
lkm1989
post Feb 11 2019, 05:44 PM

47 posts

Mostly PC concept like this wont last long, especially thermal issue...
ZM Fong
post Feb 11 2019, 06:36 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(incubus_skj @ Feb 11 2019, 05:30 PM)
after watching this, i will wait for a year before getting an RTX laptop liao  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
If you need laptop now, buy now, no need wait
pandera999
post Feb 11 2019, 06:51 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(incubus_skj @ Feb 11 2019, 05:30 PM)
after watching this, i will wait for a year before getting an RTX laptop liao  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
tbh, yeah... rtx notebook is kinda... errr... no idea how to say... i tot rtx is expensive... i think most of people would think the same.. turn out that amd card is much more expensive.. laugh.gif laugh.gif
fallenseal
post Feb 14 2019, 11:10 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(Aphonite @ Jan 29 2019, 04:31 PM)
I'm sure many of you have seen this new ROG Mothership from CES. Supposedly the CPU, GPU, and what not are on the monitor side rather than on the keyboard side. Is this really a practical design choice especially for cooling and if so, why have laptop manufacturers not do this from the start?  rclxub.gif
after check it out can say the design looks cool and innovate but the spec is kinda high i saw on website the graphic card is on RTX 2080 and not a max-q graphic and with the device thickness i really scare the device won't last long due to heat and i wonder what's that "A special shield" that can help heat affect the device display
HiAwak
post Feb 20 2019, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
105 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Feb 8 2019, 04:48 PM)
If talking about review considering everything include pricing.. i love listen to dave oppinion  nod.gif

at first when i saw this machine i'm like wow... but after i saw dave's review then i had another thought in mind already. Yea rtx is still new in the market and its yet to determine whether it's working or not. And it's carrying RTX2080? with the slim design i had doubt on the heat resistance for sure.
pandera999
post Feb 20 2019, 11:58 AM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(HiAwak @ Feb 20 2019, 11:02 AM)
at first when i saw this machine i'm like wow... but after i saw dave's review then i had another thought in mind already. Yea rtx is still new in the market and its yet to determine whether it's working or not. And it's carrying RTX2080? with the slim design i had doubt on the heat resistance for sure.
well.. laptop always amaze me sometimes tbh. due to portability. unlike desktop, great machine.. but more stuff to carry laugh.gif and amd new vega look like out perform rtx2080.. if i not mistaken... watching linus tech talk bout new vega vs rtx the other day.. and i was thinking vega looks good. still many games still favouring green camp. thats why its worth go for greencamp.. meanwhile... i keep switching green and red camp.. lol.. go for budget but gives almost similar performance

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:03 AM