Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Owner refuse to fully refund rental deposit

views

Star_knight79
post Jan 22 2019, 03:17 PM

On my way
596 posts

QUOTE(ViktorJ @ Jan 22 2019, 03:15 PM)
Not sure how to can one prove that the money was the deposit for a tenancy sans an agreement though.
Receipt for Rental Deposit.
TSbl0om
post Jan 22 2019, 05:08 PM

Getting Started
86 posts

QUOTE(Star_knight79 @ Jan 22 2019, 04:11 PM)
Since you don't have any agreement done, do you have any proof regarding your rental deposit? If you don't, gg for you. You should be grateful when she return RM 95 to you.

But if you have proof, you can go civil case in the courtroom.
I do have bank transfer receipt remake as "Deposit" to the owner husband account. But don't know if it will make any difference. Our mistake because not have any agreement. Luckily only one month deposit, if more I think she even charges us for aircon & fridge. LOL

QUOTE(Star_knight79 @ Jan 22 2019, 04:13 PM)
Police won't layan, as there is no criminal element in this context.
My housemate asking her brother who a police officer. Same answer. LOL

QUOTE(ViktorJ @ Jan 22 2019, 04:15 PM)
Not sure how to can one prove that the money was the deposit for a tenancy sans an agreement though.
QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jan 22 2019, 04:17 PM)
lol too bad u encounter bad landlord.

What u can do is trash the house (if u dare), or print warning paper about what happened and stick it everywhere around the house taman..
So that potential new rental will know about it and avoid this idiot tamak landlord.
LOL. We try to be nice as possible. Spent 2 days cleaning the house before I go for leave. Did not expect the owner to turn like this.

QUOTE(WiLeKiyO @ Jan 22 2019, 04:17 PM)
During my college time, my owner actually charge us to repaint the whole house, even threaten us with lawyer letter.

But we were young and stupid, so end up we burnt our deposit, did get a single cent back. Total amount is RM4750.  doh.gif

I still regret giving up so easily.
Ouch. That's hurt. If the owner charge for something reasonable, its okay, can understand. This owner charges for something stupid make me wonder is it us who think we are right or the owner who try to BS us. loL

QUOTE(Tucker Crowe @ Jan 22 2019, 04:18 PM)
Well, since you don't have an agreement ...

I say you'd just have to suck it up on losing the money and take this as lesson learned.
Yup. A real lesson learned. LOL. Money is just small part (~RM350/person loss), it makes me feel comfortable to know everyone agrees that the owner BS us, not us trying to make wrong things right.
gahpadu
post Jan 22 2019, 05:42 PM

Regular
1,411 posts

lucky owner dont charge wear and tear of each switch, door handle. watee pipe
ViktorJ
post Jan 22 2019, 06:13 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

QUOTE(gahpadu @ Jan 22 2019, 05:42 PM)
then she can take the remaining RM95 and fly kite

user posted image
JimbeamofNRT
post Jan 22 2019, 06:46 PM

the Original Lanji@_ Chicken Rice Shop Since 2002
1,453 posts

QUOTE(WiLeKiyO @ Jan 22 2019, 03:17 PM)
During my college time, my owner actually charge us to repaint the whole house, even threaten us with lawyer letter.

But we were young and stupid, so end up we burnt our deposit, did get a single cent back. Total amount is RM4750.  doh.gif

I still regret giving up so easily.
Your landlord lah, you are not a slave I assumed.

truly u kana scam by bad landlord that one. rm 4750 is a big amount.
TSbl0om
post Jan 22 2019, 06:57 PM

Getting Started
86 posts

QUOTE(gahpadu @ Jan 22 2019, 06:42 PM)
She did mention shower head need to be replaced due to slow water coming down (clogging) & the black ball inside toilet flush that control water coming in. This 2 include in "RM225 housekeeping & maintenance" part. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

Weird part, we have no problem with what she claims to have problem during our stay.

This post has been edited by bl0om: Jan 22 2019, 07:00 PM
DjKenji
post Jan 22 2019, 08:11 PM

On my way
643 posts

my answer some of thread member post ady.

what i can say, lesson learn and move forwards

unlucky to meet these blooding sucking owner.

mini orchard
post Jan 22 2019, 08:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

This type of landlord is a disgrace.
NightHeart
post Jan 22 2019, 09:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,988 posts

QUOTE(bl0om @ Jan 22 2019, 02:23 PM)
I was renting a fully furnished house for almost 11 months with 2 friends. RM1050 per month not including utilities. Last month we decided to move out to another rental house. Deposit paid RM1050+RM150 (utilities) when we rent that rouse. Today owner gives us the break down that our deposit been deducted and transfer the balance to us (RM95).

RM750 - Broken TV due to a lightning strike on October. Happen when nobody at home and no one used the TV. Hisense LCD 32"
RM225 - Housekeeping + maintenance. When we left the house everything clean & in order. Not even single trash we left. The maintenance part she mentions to repair things mostly wear & tear part like squeaking sound chair,  termite attack, etc.
RM25 - Change padlock
RM30 - 1 bulb (we don't know which one. AFAIK when we left the house all light are OK)
RM75 - Last month (December) utility bill

For utility bill, bulb, or even padlock we did not care much even we don't know why she charges us LOL, but for TV and housekeeping part I think we have been ripped off. We don't know who is right or wrong. No contract was signed. What do you guys think? It is right for her to charge us (overcharged RM750 for Hisense LCD 32" TV) or it is really our part to pay for the TV & maintenance. For me, if it is because of our action like kicking the TV until broken, I can understand that we have to pay. But, lightning is not created by us. LOL

Regarding the TV, when we ask her to replaced it, she keep dragging it. That time we think positive maybe she don't have money to buy a new one since we don't care much about the TV that time. Most of us watch laptop before sleep, go to work in the morning, and repeat. Weekend all going back hometown.

If I want to report her action to authorities, which one should I go. I'm scared about going to the police & the police will laugh at us. Please share your opinion. I really don't know if she right or we tried to run from our responsibility

Cheers
Sorry for your loss, that money is pretty much gone already. This isn't criminal case, so police won't entertain. So take it as a tuition/lesson fee & don't repeat it in the future.

Normally:
- Reasonable wear & tear is landlord's responsibility, not tenant. A landlord that doesn't accept wear & tear as their responsibility, then they shouldn't even let anyone live in it, hence there will be no wear & tear.
- Act of god (natural disasters) e.g. the lightning strike, shouldn't be tenant's responsibility too. If suddenly there's flood/earthquake/fire from neighbor & everything inside destroyed, tenant have to replace all & fix everything back to pre-disaster?
- On the last day of tenancy, do a walk through with the landlord. Whatever wanna dispute should be pointed out there & then. If everything is in order, ideally return the deposit there & then too. If the landlord missed a crack during the inspection, it's their loss & can't demand their money back next day.
- Whatever that's being disputed by the landlord, next time insist to replace it yourself so that the landlord don't profit from the replacements e.g. RM30 light bulb (diamond coated bulb?).
- Padlock is usually not tenant's responsibility too. If it's going to be tenant's responsibility, might as well tenant move in with their own padlock & then give the spare key to the landlord.
- The only thing I made my tenant liable was the air-cond servicing cost. They use, so they service it la.

Get a tenancy agreement in the future, if you don't wanna stamp it it's fine but at least have one is better than nothing. Tenancy agreement from landlord tend to be in their favor too, so you might wanna read through & negotiate the terms & clauses. May you get better landlord in the future.
kennykck
post Jan 22 2019, 10:00 PM

!!!~~<((Bankai))>~~!!!
1,697 posts

TV if charge should based on current market price. Now china 32" TV cost only RM5XX.

Is the TV new when you move in? Should argue with her regarding item depreciation value too.
perseides
post Jan 23 2019, 12:11 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

Anyone tried small claim court? As long as the total amount is not exceeding 5000, u can file a suit against them without lawyer. However, I'm not totally sure if it's applicable in this case.

If it's brought into small claim court, I'm sure u have a good chance convincing the judge TV is not under your fault, the padlock is not broken and should not be under you. A lot of her other claims are considered wear and tear.
Grammar Police
post Jan 23 2019, 08:58 AM

Casual
332 posts

I was renting a fully furnished house for almost 11 months with 2 friends. RM1050 per month not including utilities. Last month we decided to move out to another rental house. Deposit paid RM1050+RM150 (utilities) when we rent that rouse. Today owner gives us the break down that our deposit been deducted and transfer the balance to us (RM95).

RM750 - Broken TV due to a lightning strike on October. Happen when nobody at home and no one used the TV. Hisense LCD 32"
RM225 - Housekeeping + maintenance. When we left the house everything clean & in order. Not even single trash we left. The maintenance part she mentions to repair things mostly wear & tear part like squeaking sound chair,  termite attack, etc.
RM25 - Change padlock
RM30 - 1 bulb (we don't know which one. AFAIK when we left the house all light are OK)

For utility bill, bulb, or even padlock we did not care much even we don't know why she charges us LOL, but for TV and housekeeping part I think we have been ripped off. We don't know who is right or wrong. No contract was signed. What do you guys think? It is right for her to charge us (overcharged RM750 for Hisense LCD 32" TV) or it is really our part to pay for the TV & maintenance. For me, if it is because of our action like kicking the TV until broken, I can understand that we have to pay. But, lightning is not created by us. LOL

Regarding the TV, when we ask her to replaced it, she keep dragging it. That time we think positive maybe she don't have money to buy a new one since we don't care much about the TV that time. Most of us watch laptop before sleep, go to work in the morning, and repeat. Weekend all going back hometown.

If I want to report her action to authorities, which one should I go. I'm scared about going to the police & the police will laugh at us. Please share your opinion. I really don't know if she right or we tried to run from our responsibility

Cheers
thats the problem right there
x3Kai
post Jan 23 2019, 10:10 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

report police say after 11 months ur landlord still don't want sign agreement with u
then now halau u out and eat ur deposit
ezpz
michaellee
post Jan 23 2019, 11:17 AM

Regular
1,095 posts

Try small claims tribunal. Should be in your favour.
bylkw2
post Jan 23 2019, 02:09 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

You can do nothing because you didn’t sign any sort of agreement, so just suck it out and move one
p/s I also kena before, so insist for agreement for your future rental

ticke
post Jan 24 2019, 05:03 PM

****E***y*u***i***@**
1,637 posts

lighting strike, it is her own fault for not putting surge protector in the 1st place. how is that your fault?
mw1980
post Jan 24 2019, 05:39 PM

40 posts

the TV part is nonsense. anyway check your agreement first la. manatau she wrote there you need to get her a new tv when moving and you signed blindly.

if she die die want like that, easy, you can move, but her house won't move, you can come back 1-2 year later and renovate her house.
KannaSai1
post Jan 25 2019, 02:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,933 posts

QUOTE(kennykck @ Jan 22 2019, 10:00 PM)
TV if charge should based on current market price. Now china 32" TV cost only RM5XX.

Is the TV new when you move in? Should argue with her regarding item depreciation value too.
Provided landlord was given a new one. Else, need to calculate depreciation. A used one, old tech TV, maybe cost about rm200 from a junk shop.
ulet
post Jan 25 2019, 10:18 PM

Regular
1,674 posts

You just tell owner that you gonna report to LHDN instead and see whether she got scare or not.
SUSDaylight2018
post Jan 26 2019, 08:08 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

RM25 - Change padlock

Cheers
That's why some ppl don't even bother paying the final 2 months of rental and tell the owner to deduct from deposit.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 PM