Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I have a great idea., I want to create a great IP.

views

TSAniquus
post Jan 20 2019, 06:01 AM, updated 6y ago

18 posts

Hello my dudes. It came to my view that Malaysian IP, No offense. Quite sucks. (Boboiboy and Upin and Ipin in particular). The problem that I see is that they dont focus on the story and lore part. Plus they use stupid stereotypes. Every show must have three races (Malay, Chinese, Indian). The Indian must be funny or I might say clumsy like behavior. I dont really like this in particular.

This makes me sad tbh. I mean if we look at the Old animated series "Kampung Boy". The quality of that show is very intricate and amazing. They gave us a slice of life episodes mixed with dennis the menace dynamic. Plus they are able to make the show original and artistically beautiful. Not some silly unreasonable fight show or a children's show. Kampung Boy really had a wide scope of viewers I must say.

So my point is. I would really want to help revolutionize malaysian IP's by creating a lore heavy IP. A western like fantasy (Like Lotr or Dark Souls) . Filled with character development, Backstories, Tragedies, World lore and Magical creatures and beasts. It will also be in English and will not have an Asian Fantasy Theme. The thing is, If I pursue this. May I know will Malaysians actually be interested in stuff like this?. I would like to make a comic at first and see where it goes. But I must say it's nothing like you've ever seen. It breaks away from typical stories and I dont think people could even notice it is a work of a Malaysian. All and all, I just wanted to share my ideas and ask people in this forum. Whether will my comic succeed in Malaysia or not.

user posted image

^This is one of my original characters, just to give a vision of the art style and overall theme. P.s it sucks but It's just a reference.

This post has been edited by Aniquus: Jan 20 2019, 11:14 AM
se7en8ight
post Jan 21 2019, 04:29 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

Hi Aniquus,

May I know how old are you? Cause the way you speak seems like how I would speak in my teen years biggrin.gif

Anyhow, first of all, don't belittle local animation productions cause no matter how bad they are, they already made a solid concrete name in Msia and other neighbouring countries. If that isn't success then I'm not sure what it is.

Secondly, the irony of how you're trying to breakaway from the 'stereotype', but at then end you begin to question whether your idea would be a hit locally? Guess what, all creatives have that in mind when they first started. But then reality hits. You will soon find out what you want to do might be the opposite of what your target audience want to watch. And this is just about the core itself, we're not talking about other logistics yet like seeking funding and so on where each of these people have their own KPI and agenda, that will soon enough 'contribute' to the changes of your IP.

Lastly, its a good thing you wanna go all out but my advice is to do some research about the local interest first, whats hot and what not, and begin to tweak and further polish your IP from there. Remember, create something for the market, not for yourself, because at the end of the day, you are providing the show to them, not to your ownself.

All the best ya icon_rolleyes.gif
TSAniquus
post Jan 22 2019, 01:29 AM

18 posts

Im 19, My criticism of local animation is based on internet reviews and a global market success. An anime per say, is a local format but highly versatile. Because of why?, Because Japanese follow a trend of copying western media and concepts with their original twist. I dont say boboiboy or upin and ipin are not successful. But they became sucessful because they were pioneers. If no one is doing it, surely they are monopolizing on the industry for a huge success. But it is not something to be prideful of, I want to see a Malaysian IP that is mind-blowing and matured. I want character development like in an anime or western cartoons. Not some silly kids show. Please Understand this. Because Our people dont value these things is why Malaysia is not one of the top dogs in the creative industry.

Secondly, The audience is there, I've went to conventions, Comic Fiesta per say. There are really passionate people who dedicate themselves to cosplay and embrace animations/anime that are awesome. To my surprise none of them are cosplaying as upin and ipin or boboiboy even. Why is that?.

Lastly, I do understand that local audience and interest is a must consideration. But how are we even sure if havent tried it yet right?. If we stick to the same stuff all over again, it will be a repackaged version of another IP. Not only that, it only gives Malaysians the understanding of the story. NO. I don't want my story to be a Malaysian only thing. I want everyone to be able to enjoy it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:21 AM