4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Economic Issues New car for mom + wedding on July, Need advice

views

TSHerodotus
post Jan 18 2019, 10:38 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
107 posts

Hi all, I need some advice for my financial situation/general.

First of all, I am 26 years old, I am about to start a new job next week and my basic is RM 2.8k. I can do OT and will be able to get roughly around 4k-5k (gaji kasar).

For now my current monthly commitment are;

1. Phone bill = RM 40
2. Insurance = RM 150
3. Bike fuel = RM 40-50 per month (I ride FZ 150. Full tank RON97 RM 25+- can lasts about 400km or 2 weeks. I travel 30-40km daily pergi balik)
4. Unifi = RM 150 (living w mom and brother)
5. Groceries to fiance = RM 200 (we work at the same department, so she cooks for us almost daily)
6. Bike service = RM 75+- every 1.5months coz I use premium engine oil such as Belray, Liqui Moly, etc.
7. Family = RM 250 (kfc, pizza, duit belanja mom and adik)
8. Saving = RM 500 at Tabung Haji monthly

Total = RM 1415

I am going to get married on July 2019. Hantaran is Rm 10k plus mas kahwin RM 1k-2k. For my side, I tak buat majlis langsung so buat on my fiance's side je.

Now the thing is, my mom (A pensioner, monthly get less than RM 4k and no other commitment) wants the Perodua Aruz so badly. Currently shes driving Alza. Habis bayar already. Im planning to take that car so that I can use it later once married.

I was planning to surprise my mom with a brand new Aruz while shes still... You know, alive and well. Because all I have is her since my late father gone almost 10 years ago. At the same time Im about to get married in 6 months from now and I have zero saving. Yep, you read it right.

I dont mind to work hard a few extra hours per day as Ive been through hell before and my basic salary is not even 2k and no OT some more. Now that I have the chance to make extra money with OT idk how to decide on this matters.

Any advice from kakak/abang/makcik/pakcik out there?

rubrubrub
post Jan 18 2019, 10:46 PM

senor
1,790 posts

3. Bike fuel = RM 40-50 per month (I ride FZ 150. Full tank RON97 RM 25+- can lasts about 400km or 2 weeks. I travel 30-40km daily pergi balik)

eh, fz 150 needs ron 97?

but dude, i salute u with the mentality to treat your mom to pleasure like a car but honestly, financially it isn't wise la. A big meal, yes tapi a car can put u into debt for an extra 5-7 years or 9 years looking at ur gaji kasar is 5k. Masuk more to asb asnb for your future kids lagi bagus, bro.

A car is simply a means to get from point A to B especially if you A to B is just a short drive la since u'll be in it for a short while je.

This post has been edited by rubrubrub: Jan 18 2019, 10:50 PM
matrix88
post Jan 18 2019, 10:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

QUOTE(Herodotus @ Jan 18 2019, 10:38 PM)
Hi all, I need some advice for my financial situation/general.

First of all, I am 26 years old, I am about to start a new job next week and my basic is RM 2.8k. I can do OT and will be able to get roughly around 4k-5k (gaji kasar).

For now my current monthly commitment are;

1. Phone bill = RM 40
2. Insurance = RM 150
4. Unifi = RM 150 (living w mom and brother)
5. Groceries to fiance = RM 200 (we work at the same department, so she cooks for us almost daily)
6. Bike service = RM 75+- every 1.5months coz I use premium engine oil such as Belray, Liqui Moly, etc.
7. Family = RM 250 (kfc, pizza, duit belanja mom and adik)
8. Saving = RM 500 at Tabung Haji monthly

Total = RM 1415

I am going to get married on July 2019. Hantaran is Rm 10k plus mas kahwin RM 1k-2k. For my side, I tak buat majlis langsung so buat on my fiance's side je.

Now the thing is, my mom (A pensioner, monthly get less than RM 4k and no other commitment) wants the Perodua Aruz so badly. Currently shes driving Alza. Habis bayar already. Im planning to take that car so that I can use it later once married.

I was planning to surprise my mom with a brand new Aruz while shes still... You know, alive and well. Because all I have is her since my late father gone almost 10 years ago. At the same time Im about to get married in 6 months from now and I have zero saving. Yep, you read it right.

I dont mind to work hard a few extra hours per day as Ive been through hell before and my basic salary is not even 2k and no OT some more. Now that I have the chance to make extra money with OT idk how to decide on this matters.

Any advice from kakak/abang/makcik/pakcik out there?
My advice is use your money wisely
you will be getting married, hence expect you will get kids within 1-2 years time
after buying the car, you will need to maintain 2 cars and 1 bike - car maintenance is not cheap, not to mention road tax, insurance etc
you will need to pay monthly installment for the car
you need money for savings
later need to buy house etc some more

do your maths properly before commitment

rubrubrub
post Jan 18 2019, 10:52 PM

senor
1,790 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Jan 18 2019, 10:50 PM)
My advice is use your money wisely
you will be getting married, hence expect you will get kids within 1-2 years time
after buying the car, you will need to maintain 2 cars and 1 bike - car maintenance is not cheap, not to mention road tax, insurance etc
you will need to pay monthly installment for the car
you need money for savings
later need to buy house etc some more

do your maths properly before commitment
yeah, a house and ur kids makan, minum and education are more important than a pleasure like that. I'm sure ur mom will be understanding and once she got cucu, aruz is nothing.
mini orchard
post Jan 19 2019, 09:39 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

Jangan sayang mak sampai dera sendiri.

Jangan sampai tak mampu bayar instalment, Aruz kena tarik. Sampai masa itu, mak nak salahkan siapa? Sendiri atau anak?

Fikir masak masak. Baca cerita macam tak mampu.
JayCkat
post Jan 19 2019, 11:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,535 posts

My advice is like everyone else here.

Delay buying the car.
You are going through a wedding. That is a large cost already. Give your bank accounts time to recover and accumulate money. You wife will not be happy if your financial conditions are stressed. Money problems are number one problem in a marriage. Many couples fight over money.

I would suggest not to change your life style just yet. Leave your mom her car. Continue with your motorbike. She can continue driving her Aruz for a few more years.

You could also consider
If you have siblings, perhaps every one can pool enough money to buy mom a new car.
Buying mom a cheaper car. Ask mom if that is okay.

And above all, talk and discuss with your girl friend (soon to be wife) about your financial status, potential car purchase. She is going to be part of the team and her input is needed. Perhaps she might be willing to pay half a car, for both of you and your wife to drive. Sorry, your mom stays with her old car.

TSHerodotus
post Jan 21 2019, 02:46 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

Thank everyone. I appreciate all of your humble replies. I believe at that time I was just thrilled given the small dreams, I have. I have decided to give some space for my saving and hopefully in the near future I can afford a better car with high down payment. Thanks again!
JoeK
post Jan 21 2019, 04:21 PM

Enthusiast
984 posts

Aruz will set u back easily rm800 per month for installment.

May i know what's the living arrangements after u got married? Because if you planned on getting your own place then it would cost u a lot. Then, Aruz will become a burden.

How much your fiance salary? Are u planning to split the cost later?
myteam94
post Jan 22 2019, 02:12 PM

Casual
400 posts

TS, you have same thinking as I am

was thinking of buying 2nd hand beemer, so i can chauffeur around with my dad
he currently owned W124 200E (already old and rust bucket but driveable)
whenever go his friends function, most of them drive luxury car (1-2 people drive new car like myvi/shitty/bios/ketam) while me arrive with parent in ploton only.. thought wanna do something nice for my dad and mom.

I planned to purchase it next year, because this year my money will be used for engagement (50:50, me n my fiancee)
Twins10
post Jan 23 2019, 05:54 AM

Enthusiast
913 posts

My suggestion. Bring alza in to spray...New tyres, new seat covers, new absorbers, etc.

Next year if you can afford buy the aruz for your own family. Why your mom need new aruz?
Twins10
post Jan 23 2019, 05:56 AM

Enthusiast
913 posts

I be buying a new proton for me n dad driving to work. Mom still happy with her waja..12 years old but maintenance free.

She doesn't want to drive big car...scared of parking
saikia2046
post Jan 23 2019, 06:28 AM

Casual
414 posts

Buy the car first and delay the marriage for few months. The logic is very simple:

1. After married you will have no money to buy cars for a very long time of period.

2. Bodek your mother first because you may need her to help to take care of your kids later on, be it full time or occasionally.

3. Basically you are not buying a car for your mother but yourself, because you will take the Alza which no need to pay installment. (but remember to change the insurance for all driver)

4. Later on can sell off the alza if have financial issues.

Just a friendly advise, a lot of people got their car straight to accessories shop, wheels shop and exhaust shop to waste money. If you do that you will gain nothing in the end except suffering. Secondly, Produa car is well known tin milo car so don't drive fast or dirving when feel sleepy. For the first year of marriage, you have to either use dondom or spray outside, make sure save about RM10k for rolling before you have baby, because you don't wanna ruin your life and also the child's future. You have to prepare your wife will have to quit her job and become full time housewife if have more than 1 kid.
mini orchard
post Jan 23 2019, 07:12 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(saikia2046 @ Jan 23 2019, 06:28 AM)
Buy the car first and delay the marriage for few months. The logic is very simple:

1. After married you will have no money to buy cars for a very long time of period.

2. Bodek your mother first because you may need her to help to take care of your kids later on, be it full time or occasionally.

3. Basically you are not buying a car for your mother but yourself, because you will take the Alza which no need to pay installment. (but remember to change the insurance for all driver)

4. Later on  can sell off the alza if have financial issues.
Just a friendly advise, a lot of people got their car straight to accessories shop, wheels shop and exhaust shop to waste money. If you do that you will gain nothing in the end except suffering. Secondly, Produa car is well known tin milo car so don't drive fast or dirving when feel sleepy. For the first year of marriage, you have to either use dondom or spray outside, make sure save about RM10k for rolling before you have baby, because you don't wanna ruin your life and also the child's future.  You have to prepare your wife will have to quit her job and become full time housewife if have more than 1 kid.
Not sure few months will make a different unless money drop from sky.

The purchase is few years liability.

fearless_kiki
post Jan 23 2019, 08:11 AM

Getting Started
278 posts

Zeeo savings and you wish to do two things at the same time? Not practical at all. Not sure if you even have enough for just the wedding if you haven't paid for any wedding expenses. Let's say you get 4k per month. Although you listed 1.4k in your post but there are many small expenses that we often left out eg: entertainment, gifts, outings, toiletries... Let's add rm300 into it. So expenses are 1.7k. That means you left 2.3k per month. Getting married in July means you only have half year to just save for wedding assuming you haven't save for hantaran. You can only get 13.8k savings for the wedding...

And OT are mostly not constant amount so try not to count eggs that are not in the basket.

This post has been edited by fearless_kiki: Jan 23 2019, 08:14 AM
H3lpM3
post Jan 23 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
254 posts

Your mom pension is more than enough to buy herself.since she also no other commitments anyway
cx2531
post Jan 23 2019, 11:01 AM

On my way
555 posts

alza brp lama pakai?

if my case, i will start my saving 1st instead of buying new car for mom. new car actually depreciate alot.

baru kahwin of course kena pakai alot money, nanti apa apa happen at least got emergency $$ to use. next time wife pregnant, medical check up, baby born those pampers and susu
kjisdaman
post Jan 23 2019, 04:39 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(myteam94 @ Jan 22 2019, 02:12 PM)
TS, you have same thinking as I am

was thinking of buying 2nd hand beemer, so i can chauffeur around with my dad
he currently owned W124 200E (already old and rust bucket but driveable)
whenever go his friends function, most of them drive luxury car (1-2 people drive new car like myvi/shitty/bios/ketam) while me arrive with parent in ploton only.. thought wanna do something nice for my dad and mom.

I planned to purchase it next year, because this year my money will be used for engagement (50:50, me n my fiancee)
got a proton iswara from uni time till working few years doing sales..
went anywhere with my iswara, where else everyone was driving new Myvi,polo,vios..
when i look at their car & think of my iswara no installment feels dam good..

just buy a car within your living means or when u can afford it (maybe yr end with huge discount)
TS can u nego for the hantaran to 5k, reason given is that after married need the 5k saving for kids (wife check up/milk/pampers) then treat your in-laws dinner or monthly allowance la..
tak kan they want ur grandchild to suffer coz u pay 10k n left without any savings..

good luck bro
myteam94
post Jan 23 2019, 04:54 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(kjisdaman @ Jan 23 2019, 04:39 PM)
got a proton iswara from uni time till working few years doing sales..
went anywhere with my iswara, where else everyone was driving new Myvi,polo,vios..
when i look at their car & think of my iswara no installment feels dam good..

just buy a car within your living means or when u can afford it (maybe yr end with huge discount)
TS can u nego for the hantaran to 5k, reason given is that after married need the 5k saving for kids (wife check up/milk/pampers) then treat your in-laws dinner or monthly allowance la..
tak kan they want ur grandchild to suffer coz u pay 10k n left without any savings..

good luck bro
my current car loan almost settle already.
Since my dad did provide us food n education using that Mercedes, thought wanna give them feeling of sitting inside bmw (it might not be new model but at least something nice to show off among his peers) smile.gif
even since my mom sitting inside BMW X1, she also want to sit inside BMW again laugh.gif
to be honest, i've been surveying BMW youtube/oversea forum regarding that particular model. So far not much of major issue
i even go back to LYN old tered about that BMW model in FnF nod.gif

I did talk with my fiancee, she agree on that because its benefit for both of us. she can drive my car, and i drive the bmw

i did my budget, it is somewhat within my living cost...
Jay Chua CC
post Jan 24 2019, 10:10 AM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

i dont think your mum will want the new car if she knows you are suffering. Spend within your means.
cdspins
post Jan 24 2019, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

If you are able to get 4k per month with your new job... I don't see there is any issue getting the car for your mum. Your commitment is around 1.5km you still have 2.5k to spend. So 1k installment for the new car and another 1k to save for future 500 for car maintenance and etc

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0213sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:57 AM