Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car beyond economical repair (need expert advice), stolen car

views

Pugbunny
post Jan 17 2019, 01:43 PM

On my way
664 posts

You can check with the insurance to buy back your car at auction.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 01:45 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(Pugbunny @ Jan 17 2019, 01:43 PM)
You can check with the insurance to buy back your car at auction.
being in auction, does this means that some how they try to make the car legal again on the road? or they auction it as scrap/parts
jamalnsx
post Jan 17 2019, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

Anybody know where they usually auction off the accident/stolen cars?
saikia2046
post Jan 17 2019, 02:06 PM

Casual
414 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:22 AM)
sum insured RM 20k, they also offer RM 20k .according to the insurance, engine block replacement (new engine number) is not a problem. the main problem is that the cowl panel (with chassis number) is not available to replace.
Take that 20k and put as DC5(A) downpayment, loan kedai.
WaCKy-Angel
post Jan 17 2019, 02:08 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 01:45 PM)
being in auction, does this means that some how they try to make the car legal again on the road? or they auction it as scrap/parts
afaik once insurance company considered it not road worthy, the chassis / vin number will be flagged and cant renew insurance anymore.
but i hear someone said got way to do it....

so usually workshop bought those for scrap purposes.
Aydee
post Jan 17 2019, 02:11 PM

Mr. Big
735 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:21 AM)
if i take the money, the car including spare keys need to be handed over to the insurance. but i still can take the aftermarket parts and be sure to put it back the standard one
Sad to let go of the car. I think you have to be tough about it and just let go. Too much hassle to handle.
jaycee1
post Jan 17 2019, 02:23 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:46 AM)
the engine is quite reliable from my opinion even with frequent vtec and high revving gear change, as for the headlamp and some other parts, it is quite easy to find since a lot of halfcut shop got it.

yes it is a hard decision since the car is mildly tune with performance cam/tuned ecu/and some other performance parts. Kept it quite long time also, since 2004  cry.gif
I don't know how if insurance work the same here, but I have bought back my total loss car from the insurance company for a token fee (10% of reimbursed value) ...twice on 2 different cars. That was in Canada (where such cars are worthless). One I turned into a track car, the other I salvaged all the parts...it was a recently rebuilt and modded 4G63T so the engine alone is worth a few times the buy back cost of the whole car.

If you can, it might be worth it to buy back for parts or track car.

But in this case without the chassis identification, it would likely remain a total loss.

Call your agent to ask if there is a buy back clause/option in your policy

Sorry to hear your loss.

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Jan 17 2019, 03:04 PM
^pomen_GTR^
post Jan 17 2019, 02:24 PM

Regular
1,077 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:22 AM)
sum insured RM 20k, they also offer RM 20k .according to the insurance, engine block replacement (new engine number) is not a problem. the main problem is that the cowl panel (with chassis number) is not available to replace.
body panel shop should be able to consult...

coz i've seen some cars they mark xxxxxxx on the wrong/tampered chassis number and re-stamped original/proper chassis number at new location
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 04:34 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jan 17 2019, 02:08 PM)
afaik once insurance company considered it not road worthy, the chassis / vin number will be flagged and cant renew insurance anymore.
but i hear someone said got way to do it....

so usually workshop bought those for scrap purposes.
yes, i knew some of them bought the total loss car from the auction and make it legal again
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 04:37 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(^pomen_GTR^ @ Jan 17 2019, 02:24 PM)
body panel shop should be able to consult...

coz i've seen some cars they mark xxxxxxx on the wrong/tampered chassis number and re-stamped original/proper chassis number at new location
yes, it might as easy to get the cowl panel/firewall from the half cut shop, sand the number and restamp the correct chassis number and weld the cowl panel again to the original car. but off course not sure such approval is easy or not or maybe some coffee money is needed. none the less, I'm sure the insurance company try to avoid the hassle and future problem that may arise.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 04:41 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(saikia2046 @ Jan 17 2019, 02:06 PM)
Take that 20k and put as DC5(A) downpayment, loan kedai.
it's kinda downgrade with auto some more. sweat.gif

TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 04:43 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(Aydee @ Jan 17 2019, 02:11 PM)
Sad to let go of the car. I think you have to be tough about it and just let go. Too much hassle to handle.
it was from my hard earn money and 1st car since 2004 sweat.gif
COOLPINK
post Jan 17 2019, 04:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

rare nowadays to see integra on the road.
but i guess its makes more sense to let it go.
it has served you well for more than 10 years already considering its a 22 year old car now.

dang the car thieves! shakehead.gif

^pomen_GTR^
post Jan 17 2019, 06:29 PM

Regular
1,077 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 04:37 PM)
yes, it might as easy to get the cowl panel/firewall from the half cut shop, sand the number and restamp the correct chassis number and weld the cowl panel again to the original car. but off course not sure such approval is easy or not or maybe some coffee money is needed. none the less, I'm sure the insurance company try to avoid the hassle and future problem that may arise.
yup something like that...

i think i've saw it on car that replace whole front frame
saikia2046
post Jan 18 2019, 07:39 AM

Casual
414 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 04:41 PM)
it's kinda downgrade with auto some more.  sweat.gif
If have extra cash you can go manual. But the price is almost double compare to auto. With all the uncertainty from the gov, I had stop thinking about car already. Spend big money to buy a dream car that will expired for what? Today you spend 70k buy a RX7 or 120k for a supra, tomorrow gov say scrap car, don't tell me you are gonna sell that car for besi buruk. Integra auto is something between passion and reality. It is too risky for buying nice cars nowadays.
reeve-826
post May 5 2019, 11:24 AM

Casual
324 posts

The car has beyond economical repair and offer me a settlement by Etiqa. The toyota saleman told I have to send all these documentation include spare key and vehicle card to Etiqa HQ and stop roadtax at JPJ.

The vehicle and key still at toyota pahang, Do I really need to send document myself to Etiqa HQ in KL?
I don't have spare key, so the main key still with toyota is fine?

I just curious why Toyota help me renew insurance yearly more than 10 years. Although follow up the case status for us, but can't support for sending off all these supporting at last step.
Pugbunny
post May 5 2019, 12:08 PM

On my way
664 posts

Did Etiqa HQ mentioned about signing off any documentation? Maybe that's the reason why owner need to go there. Else is there any nearby Etiqa branch near your place? Maybe you can suggest to send your car key there instead.
reeve-826
post May 5 2019, 07:26 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(Pugbunny @ May 5 2019, 12:08 PM)
Did Etiqa HQ mentioned about signing off any documentation? Maybe that's the reason why owner need to go there. Else is there any nearby Etiqa branch near your place? Maybe you can suggest to send your car key there instead.
Etiqa HQ mail us all documents require for signature. Our agent told us just mail back all required supporting and spare key to HQ... since all car card and key in original form, I'm worry loss in transit.
thefryingfox
post May 5 2019, 11:29 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

Just move on
poemex
post Jun 6 2020, 08:57 AM

4 posts

Hi all Expert here, i need some advice on my vehicle, was accident with insurance company offer using the term "Beyond Economical Repair (BER)".But i need to get back my vehicle registration number , the insurance company said i need to wait for them/their workshop to repair the car to do interchange or i need to assure while the JPJ does not Blacklist the car during the procedure, do anyone have any idea how this procedure works?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:26 AM