Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car beyond economical repair (need expert advice), stolen car

views

TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 08:47 AM, updated 6y ago

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

Hi,

My year 1996 car got stolen, few months later recovered but only minor damage/missing parts :

a) missing recaro seats
b) radio
c) muffler
d) air filter intake
e) dent fender
f) dent front bumper.
g) 1 broken headlamp
h) scratched beyond recognizable chassis and engine number

The rest of the car is considered driveable and still can rolling up and down for the towing. Not a single glass/windshield/mirror broken.

Initially for the repair cost is less than RM 4k (excluding chassis/engine number repair) quote from the panel workshop. Then suddenly insurance offered me full settlement (full sum insured) since the car is beyond economical repair.

Need and expert opinion and views on this. Does repairing back the chassis/engine number required a lot of money? confused.gif

This post has been edited by eddyann: Jan 17 2019, 08:48 AM
Deja Vu
post Jan 17 2019, 08:50 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

TS, mind sharing what car model is it?
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 08:51 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Jan 17 2019, 08:50 AM)
TS, mind sharing what car model is it?
4 door honda integra
Deja Vu
post Jan 17 2019, 08:55 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

Is it a DA or DB series?
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 08:55 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Jan 17 2019, 08:55 AM)
Is it a DA or DB series?
DB series inside got B18CR
Aydee
post Jan 17 2019, 09:09 AM

Mr. Big
735 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 08:47 AM)
Hi,

My year 1996 car got stolen, few months later recovered but only minor damage/missing parts :

a) missing recaro seats
b) radio
c) muffler
d) air filter intake
e) dent fender
f) dent front bumper.
g) 1 broken headlamp

The rest of the car is considered driveable and still can rolling up and down for the towing. Not a single glass/windshield/mirror broken.

Initially for the repair cost is less than RM 4k (excluding chassis/engine number repair) quote from the panel workshop. Then suddenly insurance offered me full settlement (full sum insured) since the car is beyond economical repair.

Need and expert opinion and views on this. Does repairing back the chassis/engine number required a lot of money?  confused.gif
I used to have a DB8 Type R. For me it is a worthy car to rebuild. Chassis and engine number gone means the car is total loss and beyond repair(to the insurance company) i.e illegal to drive. You can still use it as a race car(track only, awesome chassis if you ask me). Legally you have to find another chassis and engine to 'repair' the car.

My opinion, take the settlement but keep the car. Buy another car with the money. You can either build the car as a race car or use it as parts.
JZenith
post Jan 17 2019, 09:09 AM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

how much is the full sum insured?
chasis number and engine is unrepairable, you need to go through puspakom to verify the engine, which they will ignore due to too many hassels and working days, or you get a new engine with puspakom approval.

if you really want to keep the car, you need to dig your own pocket as insurance already consider your car is totalloss.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 09:21 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(Aydee @ Jan 17 2019, 09:09 AM)
I used to have a DB8 Type R. For me it is a worthy car to rebuild. Chassis and engine number gone means the car is total loss and beyond repair(to the insurance company) i.e illegal to drive. You can still use it as a race car(track only, awesome chassis if you ask me). Legally you have to find another chassis and engine to 'repair' the car.

My opinion, take the settlement but keep the car. Buy another car with the money. You can either build the car as a race car or use it as parts.
if i take the money, the car including spare keys need to be handed over to the insurance. but i still can take the aftermarket parts and be sure to put it back the standard one
Deja Vu
post Jan 17 2019, 09:21 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

Damn. I feel your feelings and confusion now.

Sadly from what I was told this will be a scrap case mainly due to unidentifiable chassis and engine ID, unless anyone else can correct me.

Many years ago I accompanied a friend to Wangsa Maju Pupakom to inspect his bike that was recovered after being stolen and had the chassis number tempered. He was lucky because whoever that sanded the engine number did not completely flatten it and had a few matching numbers still barely visible, so he managed to get it cleared and legally re-stamped on a new spot just above the original.

However as an Integra fan, I'm really beyond words after reading this.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 09:22 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(JZenith @ Jan 17 2019, 09:09 AM)
how much is the full sum insured?
chasis number and engine is unrepairable, you need to go through puspakom to verify the engine, which they will ignore due to too many hassels and working days, or you get a new engine with puspakom approval.

if you really want to keep the car, you need to dig your own pocket as insurance already consider your car is totalloss.
sum insured RM 20k, they also offer RM 20k .according to the insurance, engine block replacement (new engine number) is not a problem. the main problem is that the cowl panel (with chassis number) is not available to replace.

This post has been edited by eddyann: Jan 17 2019, 09:24 AM
JZenith
post Jan 17 2019, 09:42 AM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:22 AM)
sum insured RM 20k, they also offer RM 20k .according to the insurance, engine block replacement (new engine number) is not a problem. the main problem is that the cowl panel (with chassis number) is not available to replace.
yea need to replace a new block, with that age of your car,piston rings / springs / engine component will break throughout the progress that will cost quite a fortune.
and parts like your headlamp will be impossible to find one in malaysia.

but if you take the statement, the insurance will tow away your car and keys rite? hard decision if im you, one is cash, one is wife.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 09:46 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(JZenith @ Jan 17 2019, 09:42 AM)
yea need to replace a new block, with that age of your car,piston rings / springs / engine component will break throughout the progress that will cost quite a fortune.
and parts like your headlamp will be impossible to find one in malaysia.

but if you take the statement, the insurance will tow away your car and keys rite? hard decision if im you, one is cash, one is wife.
the engine is quite reliable from my opinion even with frequent vtec and high revving gear change, as for the headlamp and some other parts, it is quite easy to find since a lot of halfcut shop got it.

yes it is a hard decision since the car is mildly tune with performance cam/tuned ecu/and some other performance parts. Kept it quite long time also, since 2004 cry.gif
JZenith
post Jan 17 2019, 09:54 AM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 09:46 AM)
the engine is quite reliable from my opinion even with frequent vtec and high revving gear change, as for the headlamp and some other parts, it is quite easy to find since a lot of halfcut shop got it.

yes it is a hard decision since the car is mildly tune with performance cam/tuned ecu/and some other performance parts. Kept it quite long time also, since 2004  cry.gif
if the repair cost of engine and chasis is confirmed less than RM4k, i'll just pay and enjoy the ride. throw another RM1k+ to repair the missing stuffs.

or if you dont mind about the badge

RM20k you can buy a waja with mitsu gsr turbo . with extra cash too.

depends on your wallet anyhow.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 10:04 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(JZenith @ Jan 17 2019, 09:54 AM)
if the repair cost of engine and chasis is confirmed less than RM4k, i'll just pay and enjoy the ride. throw another RM1k+ to repair the missing stuffs.

or if you dont mind about the badge

RM20k you can buy a waja with mitsu gsr turbo . with extra cash too.

depends on your wallet anyhow.
repair cost is more than 60% (and might going up) after the 2nd checking (supplementary assessment). the main issue now is the cowl panel which has the chassis number. to avoid the unnecessary hassle and future legal problem, insurance willing to pay the settlement. they said, cowl panel is not available and it is quite hard to make it legal again.
unitron
post Jan 17 2019, 10:29 AM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

Just my thoughts on this, if I were in your shoes

I would take the settlement, these kinds of car headache i wouldn't want to experience again after going thru 3 problematic issue with each of my 3 cars (I think I'm unlucky) even thought not as serious as yours, but the sleepless nights trying to solve each problem really not worth it to me.

But I would see if i can swap out your good engine/tranny with another junk engine/tranny. The most valuable part of a car is the engine/tranny.
WaCKy-Angel
post Jan 17 2019, 11:03 AM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 08:47 AM)
Hi,

a) missing recaro seats
b) radio
c) muffler
d) air filter intake
e) dent fender
f) dent front bumper.
g) 1 broken headlamp

Need and expert opinion and views on this. Does repairing back the chassis/engine number required a lot of money?  confused.gif
kinda weird why they would offer 20K instead of 4K for repair.

btw i thought usually if stolen and recovered they will not pay a single cent?

This post has been edited by WaCKy-Angel: Jan 17 2019, 11:05 AM
mADmAN
post Jan 17 2019, 11:33 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

engine number can be re-stamped. so that is salvageable. ive done re-stamping before (B20 stamped as B16A). but still depending on the damage of it.

problem comes from chassis number. ive heard of people stamping chassis numbers before, but this can be dangerous and puspakom checks in the future may give problems and end up the car blacklisted and/or confiscated.

talk to ur mechanic about this.. take pix of the damage and bring to him... if he knows someone who can stamp engine and/or chassis, show him the pic so he can judge.

u should also talk to the police and perhaps JPJ to check wat can be done on the chassis number issue so that the car can legally be on the road again.

i think ur options are

1/ take the money from insurance and get a new car
2/ keep it as is, turn it into a track car
3/ keep the car, repair urself. restamp engine number. chassis number leave it alone and be sure to keep a copy of police report and recovery report (if any) along with pictures of damage, pic of the car at the police yard etc in the car at all times. so if u get stopped and they question, u have proof to show what happened. may not be able to sell the car ever though. and im not sure how legal this would be. its a risk u have to take.
4/ another risk...restamp engine and chassis (if u can find someone to stamp chassis). fix it up urself and drive the car. again... might not be able to ever sell the car. if u do this, keep documents mentioned above in the car as well.
5/ fix the car up and TRY to sell... though i have my doubts ull be able to
6/ tear the car down and sell the remaining parts off.. bodyparts, engine parts, interior parts etc.
7/ talk to JPJ and police as mentioned above

however, my advise to u is....

swap out nice parts for stock/ spoiled parts. u could probably take the engine and gearbox out and swap in spoiled parts in it too. and sell the good ones (new owner will have to restamp engine number)

then take the money from insurace and hand the car over.

i say this coz even if u manage to get the car back on the road legally or illegally... the risk of theft will always be extremely high. ull have to worry about the car being stolen again and all that. no peace of mind. hondas are waaaaaaaaayyy too hot.

no piece of mind is the main reason why i sold off my EG6 after 7 years of ownership.

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Jan 17 2019, 11:38 AM
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 01:05 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jan 17 2019, 11:03 AM)
kinda weird why they would offer 20K instead of 4K for repair.

btw i thought usually if stolen and recovered they will not pay a single cent?
the final cost of repair is more than 60% of the insured value, plus insurance don't want take the hassle and possibility of the car still not legal on the road after the repair. they said, the chassis/cowl panel is the main issue now.
TSeddyann
post Jan 17 2019, 01:07 PM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Jan 17 2019, 11:33 AM)
engine number can be re-stamped. so that is salvageable. ive done re-stamping before (B20 stamped as B16A). but still depending on the damage of it.

problem comes from chassis number. ive heard of people stamping chassis numbers before, but this can be dangerous and puspakom checks in the future may give problems and end up the car blacklisted and/or confiscated.

talk to ur mechanic about this.. take pix of the damage and bring to him... if he knows someone who can stamp engine and/or chassis, show him the pic so he can judge.

u should also talk to the police and perhaps JPJ to check wat can be done on the chassis number issue so that the car can legally be on the road again.

i think ur options are

1/ take the money from insurance and get a new car
2/ keep it as is, turn it into a track car
3/ keep the car, repair urself. restamp engine number. chassis number leave it alone and be sure to keep a copy of police report and recovery report (if any) along with pictures of damage, pic of the car at the police yard etc in the car at all times. so if u get stopped and they question, u have proof to show what happened. may not be able to sell the car ever though. and im not sure how legal this would be. its a risk u have to take.
4/ another risk...restamp engine and chassis (if u can find someone to stamp chassis). fix it up urself and drive the car. again... might not be able to ever sell the car. if u do this, keep documents mentioned above in the car as well.
5/ fix the car up and TRY to sell... though i have my doubts ull be able to
6/ tear the car down and sell the remaining parts off.. bodyparts, engine parts, interior parts etc.
7/ talk to JPJ and police as mentioned above

however, my advise to u is....

swap out nice parts for stock/ spoiled parts. u could probably take the engine and gearbox out and swap in spoiled parts in it too. and sell the good ones (new owner will have to restamp engine number)

then take the money from insurace and hand the car over.

i say this coz even if u manage to get the car back on the road legally or illegally... the risk of theft will always be extremely high. ull have to worry about the car being stolen again and all that. no peace of mind. hondas are waaaaaaaaayyy too hot.

no piece of mind is the main reason why i sold off my EG6 after 7 years of ownership.
yes, i will accept their offer, and take out all the nice thing and swap with the standard one. luckily I still keep all the standard parts. not willing to take the trouble fixing it myself and a possibility the car is not road legal
WaCKy-Angel
post Jan 17 2019, 01:10 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Jan 17 2019, 01:05 PM)
the final cost of repair is more than 60% of the insured value, plus insurance don't want take the hassle and possibility of the car still not legal on the road after the repair. they said, the chassis/cowl panel is the main issue now.
hmm pretty weird case...anyhow lucky u can get 20K worth it.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:15 PM