Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple Watch Series 4 as standalone?

views

TSlavanpp
post Jan 17 2019, 02:34 AM, updated 6y ago

17 posts

Hi guys, i know this sounds silly however i want to use the apple watch just a like a watch. The design is just elegance. My question is, I was told when you setup for the first time you would need an I phone to pair it. I don't own I phone however i can use my sister's iphone to pair it. After set up ,can i factory reset it as i need to un-pair ( i don't want her content to be in my watch) or how else i can remove whatever details from her phone. Do i have option to delete the content?
Is anyone using a standalone / or just as a watch? What i would be able to access to? Thanks
WA300
post Jan 18 2019, 05:47 PM

Casual
440 posts

QUOTE(lavanpp @ Jan 17 2019, 02:34 AM)
Hi guys, i know this sounds silly however i want to use the apple watch just a like a watch.  The design is just elegance. My question is, I  was told when you setup for the first time you would need an I phone to pair it. I don't own I phone however i can use my sister's iphone to pair it.  After set up ,can i factory reset it as i need to un-pair ( i don't want her content to be in my watch)  or how else i can remove whatever details from her phone.  Do i have option to delete the content?
Is anyone using a standalone / or just as  a watch? What i would be able to access to? Thanks
Unfortunately, you need an iPhone to pair for the first time (including after factory reset) and later on, you need iPhone to update your watch os as well. All data from the watch like heart rate, workout, etc is syncing with iPhone and stored on the iPhone.

Maybe you don't mind about the data on the watch and you don't wish to update the watch os at all, but at some points, you may need an iPhone again like pairing again if the watch having issues or you need new apps to be installed on the watch.

So, it's not practical at all to use the watch without an iPhone at this moment. Perhaps, you can get an second hand older iPhone to pair with your watch, just to serve the purposes for software and data.

Hope the above help.

marquis
post Feb 7 2019, 09:46 AM

Flower Power!
2,467 posts

What some people are doing for this is to get a 5s. Remember a user doing this on reddit. He bought an old 5s, paired it to the watch and left the phone at home, connected to wifi. He was using an android it sorta worked for him. Don't remember if he used a cellular one or just the normal wifi one. Don't have the link unfortunately.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:30 PM