Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Minor annoyances late 2018 HP laptop (wifi & batt) (Chat)

views

Zot
post Jan 12 2019, 06:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,369 posts

QUOTE(EBBattlefield @ Jan 11 2019, 11:06 PM)
Just got a HP 14-cm0010ax as a light work laptop.
ala this one sold in Garage sales from months back sales bro
Decided to add SSD onto this thing.

The laptop itself is great for its price of just MYR1700.
Strap an SSD onto it and it boots into Windows in less than 10 seconds.....sometimes 5.
There are some stupid things that HP has done though.
1) The wifi card is crap
The wifi card can support 5ghz wifi signals. However, after installing the default HP wifi drivers, it doesn't detect it.
When I first switched on the laptop, I thought it was just because HP decided to cut cost.
However, when I fresh installed windows onto the SSD though, the laptop ran on default windows wifi drivers and detected the 5ghz band in my house. doh.gif
It turns out,  the laptop could run fine on 5g networks, it's just that HP bodo give wrong drivers.
2) Battery plastic

When disassembling this damned plastic fell off out of no where, I thought I broke something, but there was no crack noise....
user posted image

Turns out, it's just a damned battery support that they didn't bother gluing (unlike the bottom rubber pads that the glued with Gam Gajah made out of Ganesh's semen).
user posted image

Took me a while to find out where it was suppose to go.  doh.gif
3) Most frustrating part: Battery and CMOS (or lack of CMOS) 

When I took out the battery to install the SSD, It booted into and said CMOS was reset.
I decided to investigate further by rebooting the windows without the battery installed using only the adapter.
Lo and behold.......the time was not set when I restarted the couple of times without the battery and the time was reset.....

So, in case your battery die out on this model or other cheap HP laptops of the same generation. You're not just losing the ability to use it as a laptop, but the ability to use it as a normal computer with functioning time keeping too.... doh.gif  vmad.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif

Addon 4) Wifi stopped working

So, I thought wifi card failed.....masuk Bios, do diagnosis....no problem...
masuk balik windows....ada pulak.....

but by that time, I've already deleted the Windows partition on the SSD thinking windows update fucuk it up somehow.

Sekian.

inb4 you get what you paid for.
Mostly sounds like software glitches but are you sure no CMOS battery. Do you know the location? Perhaps you have dead battery.
Zot
post Jan 12 2019, 02:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,369 posts

QUOTE(EBBattlefield @ Jan 12 2019, 09:43 AM)
The other side of the motherboard should be all empty if my experience with HP laptops over the past 3-4 years serves me right.

Don't see CMOS battery anywhere.

The other things, I think can be fixed via software, but the CMOS I feel definitely is part of the grand scheme to cut cost, considering even Lenovo's latest T series commercial models also need only 6 screws to reach everything.

Heck, even on older laptops, if CMOS battery die, but laptop battery still working, clock will also lari. This one won't lari as long as built in battery is not removed.... doh.gif
I think the HP one need to remove RAM/HDD cover and under that
Zot
post Jan 13 2019, 01:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,369 posts

QUOTE(Stigonboard @ Jan 13 2019, 12:17 PM)
This
Dont buy HP

HP stopped having a hand in their laptop manufacturing quite some time and actually selling it in the future

Only Acer and Dell is making their own laptop nowadays and other brand just like OEM laptops made from third party sources
What you mean? Dell is not even PC manufacturer, but assembler only. This is because they customize according to customer requirement to certain extend. All their part are outsourced. Dell assembled in many country. Look at their tag. If suffix is S - Singapore, I - India, J - Japan, etc.

Forget about Acer. Their PC/laptop are made in China.

This post has been edited by Zot: Jan 13 2019, 01:27 PM
Zot
post Jan 13 2019, 04:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,369 posts

QUOTE(Stigonboard @ Jan 13 2019, 02:41 PM)
Lol not manufacturer?

Design and factory is still owned by Dell
They have lot of factories and of course the part is outsourced - even Apple outsourced their parts but the main thing they still hold and design their own unlike HP where they just simply leasing out their brand name.

How i know? Ex Dell Bayan Lepas/Cyberjaya employee here
That is why I said not manufacturer. The Dell factory is assembly. They design or even get other to design and to save cost, just buy off shelves product. No need to invent something that can be found suitable.

Many big US company just assemble part in their factory. That is why I said not manufacturing but assembly line. I also used to to work in contract manufacturing and also in principal companies that produced equipment for wireless communications.
Zot
post Jan 13 2019, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,369 posts

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Jan 13 2019, 02:44 PM)
Still got nitebook made in other than China? hmm.gif

Last time even Sony and Fujitsu made in China. Until they are dead lelz
Well if not China, then most likely Mexico smile.gif But now thing produced in China by US companies or things to export to the US are moved to Malaysia companies. Thanks to Trump for imposing tas to China products biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Zot: Jan 13 2019, 04:56 PM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0371sec    3.86    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th February 2020 - 11:06 AM