Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom
Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Minor annoyances late 2018 HP laptop (wifi & batt) (Chat)

EBBattlefield
post Jan 11 2019, 11:06 PM, updated 3 months ago

Group: Junior Member

Just got a HP 14-cm0010ax as a light work laptop.
ala this one sold in Garage sales from months back sales bro
Decided to add SSD onto this thing.

The laptop itself is great for its price of just MYR1700.
Strap an SSD onto it and it boots into Windows in less than 10 seconds.....sometimes 5.
There are some stupid things that HP has done though.

1) The wifi card is crap
The wifi card can support 5ghz wifi signals. However, after installing the default HP wifi drivers, it doesn't detect it.
When I first switched on the laptop, I thought it was just because HP decided to cut cost.
However, when I fresh installed windows onto the SSD though, the laptop ran on default windows wifi drivers and detected the 5ghz band in my house. doh.gif
It turns out, the laptop could run fine on 5g networks, it's just that HP bodo give wrong drivers.

2) Battery plastic

When disassembling this damned plastic fell off out of no where, I thought I broke something, but there was no crack noise....
user posted image

Turns out, it's just a damned battery support that they didn't bother gluing (unlike the bottom rubber pads that the glued with Gam Gajah made out of Ganesh's semen).
user posted image

Took me a while to find out where it was suppose to go. doh.gif

3) Most frustrating part: Battery and CMOS (or lack of CMOS)

When I took out the battery to install the SSD, It booted into and said CMOS was reset.
I decided to investigate further by rebooting the windows without the battery installed using only the adapter.
Lo and behold.......the time was not set when I restarted the couple of times without the battery and the time was reset.....

So, in case your battery die out on this model or other cheap HP laptops of the same generation. You're not just losing the ability to use it as a laptop, but the ability to use it as a normal computer with functioning time keeping too.... doh.gif vmad.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif

Addon 4) Wifi stopped working

So, I thought wifi card failed.....masuk Bios, do diagnosis....no problem...
masuk balik windows....ada pulak.....

but by that time, I've already deleted the Windows partition on the SSD thinking windows update fucuk it up somehow.

Sekian.

inb4 you get what you paid for.

This post has been edited by EBBattlefield: Jan 12 2019, 01:46 AM
Coldf3ar
post Jan 11 2019, 11:30 PM

Casual

Hp build quality memang shit. Even their long rubber feet also easily get broken when pull off.
rauma
post Jan 11 2019, 11:44 PM

Group: Newbie

they used little children locked up in concentration camps of a faraway country to assemble them.
shirohamada
post Jan 11 2019, 11:53 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

Hp a shit.

C-Fu
post Jan 12 2019, 12:38 AM

Enthusiast

this is exactly why I stopped buying "branded" laptops and took the plunge and got myself china branded ones.

no more acer laptops.
no more anus laptops.
no more hp laptops.

laptops as in plural ok. i buy a bunch of laptops every year.

I got a Chuwi. rock solid.
I bought icube. rock solid. battery is huge as well.
and most recent purchase was alldocube thinker. super, super awesome laptop. super bright 3000x2000 touchscreen. 10k mah battery somemore.

best decision I ever made on pc hardware.
maxizanc
post Jan 12 2019, 12:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Luckily i follow my heart and bought Acer instead
maxizanc
post Jan 12 2019, 12:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!

But i bought Lenovo about 5 years back rm1k price budget Celeron laptop too. Drivers installation was annoying and consumed time but it served me well and good enough.

While my family hp laptop suffers overheat issue. I think something wrong with the fan
Coldf3ar
post Jan 12 2019, 12:54 AM

Casual

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Jan 12 2019, 12:46 AM)
Luckily i follow my heart and bought Acer instead
Acer is good. And some time if you're lucky, is you can get i7 unit with i5 price/sticker/box. Face it 2 times and regret not buying those haha

C-Fu
post Jan 12 2019, 12:59 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(kopi @ Jan 12 2019, 12:42 AM)
How's gaming on those China laptops
no issues. it's exactly as what you'd expect.

best part is the bios. lu mau underclock ka, undervolt ka, up to you. the options are even more than desktop mobos, no joke (for the thinker model).

granted it's not perfect, and you have to open it up to add thermal paste to reduce temp by -20C, but absolutely spectacular laptop.

I got it for RM1.5k during 12.12 sale at lazatda.
rooney723
post Jan 12 2019, 01:33 AM

Casual

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Jan 12 2019, 12:49 AM)
But i bought Lenovo about 5 years back rm1k price budget Celeron laptop too. Drivers installation was annoying and consumed time but it served me well and good enough.

While my family hp laptop suffers overheat issue. I think something wrong with the fan
dat was the same lenovo celeron tablet i bought 5 years bck too, agree wif u its rock solid and it only cost rm950 iirc, damn cheap and celeron is fast too, i stick a ssd into it and it run smooth like butter
EBBattlefield
post Jan 12 2019, 01:44 AM

hey /k

this tered got incite yindians to riot against ibans ka?

why got report of racial stuff on this tered?
or recently got super troll reporting everything?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
C-Fu
post Jan 12 2019, 03:39 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(kopi @ Jan 12 2019, 01:12 AM)
My 6mnth old msi gaming laptop I can't take anywhere battery is pittance 30mins~1hr not gaming I would be surprise. I might need get new portable laptop. That china base laptop on YouTube kinda thin I a bit scared to open it might break something lol.
Well I got myself an ultrabook grade, so yeah.

I need the battery life, and this one more than delivers. set it to standby, and it'll last for more than a day of normal usage, no joke.

if I use it almost continuously with almost zero brightness (still very bright compared to other laptops, the screen is seriously bright), it's about 5-7 hours.
junsheng
post Jan 12 2019, 03:46 AM

---> pokemon ftw <---

never buy low tier laptop
if u buy those better buy china brand
fabianz03
post Jan 12 2019, 06:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Louis Rossman is going to be all over this shit

Oh wait
Zot
post Jan 12 2019, 06:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(EBBattlefield @ Jan 11 2019, 11:06 PM)
Just got a HP 14-cm0010ax as a light work laptop.
ala this one sold in Garage sales from months back sales bro
Decided to add SSD onto this thing.

The laptop itself is great for its price of just MYR1700.
Strap an SSD onto it and it boots into Windows in less than 10 seconds.....sometimes 5.
There are some stupid things that HP has done though.
1) The wifi card is crap
The wifi card can support 5ghz wifi signals. However, after installing the default HP wifi drivers, it doesn't detect it.
When I first switched on the laptop, I thought it was just because HP decided to cut cost.
However, when I fresh installed windows onto the SSD though, the laptop ran on default windows wifi drivers and detected the 5ghz band in my house. doh.gif
It turns out,  the laptop could run fine on 5g networks, it's just that HP bodo give wrong drivers.
2) Battery plastic

When disassembling this damned plastic fell off out of no where, I thought I broke something, but there was no crack noise....
user posted image

Turns out, it's just a damned battery support that they didn't bother gluing (unlike the bottom rubber pads that the glued with Gam Gajah made out of Ganesh's semen).
user posted image

Took me a while to find out where it was suppose to go.  doh.gif
3) Most frustrating part: Battery and CMOS (or lack of CMOS) 

When I took out the battery to install the SSD, It booted into and said CMOS was reset.
I decided to investigate further by rebooting the windows without the battery installed using only the adapter.
Lo and behold.......the time was not set when I restarted the couple of times without the battery and the time was reset.....

So, in case your battery die out on this model or other cheap HP laptops of the same generation. You're not just losing the ability to use it as a laptop, but the ability to use it as a normal computer with functioning time keeping too.... doh.gif  vmad.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif

Addon 4) Wifi stopped working

So, I thought wifi card failed.....masuk Bios, do diagnosis....no problem...
masuk balik windows....ada pulak.....

but by that time, I've already deleted the Windows partition on the SSD thinking windows update fucuk it up somehow.

Sekian.

inb4 you get what you paid for.
Mostly sounds like software glitches but are you sure no CMOS battery. Do you know the location? Perhaps you have dead battery.
SliparJepun
post Jan 12 2019, 07:35 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(EBBattlefield @ Jan 12 2019, 01:44 AM)
hey /k

this tered got incite yindians to riot against ibans ka?

why got report of racial stuff on this tered?
or recently got super troll reporting everything?
probably this bro
Gam Gajah made out of Ganesh's semen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha
pgsiemkia
post Jan 12 2019, 08:05 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(shirohamada @ Jan 11 2019, 11:53 PM)
Hp a shit.
Nowadays really shit and sell so expensive. Even Acrr allao make quality laptop for lower price.

funnyTONE
post Jan 12 2019, 08:14 AM

certified /k/ oldfag

I know its racist, but I laff hard your gam gajah statement.
vhs1
post Jan 12 2019, 08:23 AM

Regular

Haha.. That glue. Aduh...QC punya problem kot?

This post has been edited by vhs1: Jan 12 2019, 08:25 AM
EBBattlefield
post Jan 12 2019, 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 12 2019, 06:19 AM)
Mostly sounds like software glitches  but are you sure no CMOS battery. Do you know the location? Perhaps you have dead battery.
The other side of the motherboard should be all empty if my experience with HP laptops over the past 3-4 years serves me right.

Don't see CMOS battery anywhere.

The other things, I think can be fixed via software, but the CMOS I feel definitely is part of the grand scheme to cut cost, considering even Lenovo's latest T series commercial models also need only 6 screws to reach everything.

Heck, even on older laptops, if CMOS battery die, but laptop battery still working, clock will also lari. This one won't lari as long as built in battery is not removed.... doh.gif

This post has been edited by EBBattlefield: Jan 12 2019, 09:48 AM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0415sec    4.08    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 02:10 AM