Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New car with not full battery. normal?

views

Zot
post Jan 11 2019, 09:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Jan 11 2019, 09:43 AM)
u friend bought tesla kah?

if normal car, what is the battery voltage? it should read 12V
A weakly charged battery will also read 12V when using multimeter to check. It is just that it has not stored enough energy (i.e. not much current it can supply) smile.gif
Zot
post Jan 11 2019, 09:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

Last time the car battery is sold in dry condition but battery plates are "charged". When you buy, either shop or you can pour the acid into the battery and it will be in "full charged" condition.

Nowadays, due to safety reason in most country (Malaysia just follow I guess), the acid is filled into battery in factory. So, out from factory, the charge in the battery starts depleting on shelf and waiting for customer to buy. It can be up to 6 month. So,, it is normal when the battery is purchased the charge is no more full. Once driven, the battery is expected to be charged to max again.
Zot
post Jan 11 2019, 09:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Jan 11 2019, 09:49 AM)
ah. i mean when you use a resistive load bank and measure the voltage.
I believe it could be slightly less because not enough current to supply to maintain 12V reading due to long sitting on shop shelf. This is nothing to be surprised. Need to fully charged and test. If the battery is good, the will stay at 12V, otherwise get it changed biggrin.gif
Zot
post Jan 11 2019, 09:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ckseong80 @ Jan 11 2019, 09:50 AM)
I changed a new battery recently. Exide to be specific.
What I found to be weird is that when I measure it with multimeter, the reading keeps fluctuating.
Measured the Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) it is good.
I suspect this could be due to the built in battery life monitor that it comes with.
Anyone have similar experience?
You mean measuring with engine running?
Zot
post Jan 11 2019, 10:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ckseong80 @ Jan 11 2019, 10:08 AM)
Engine running or not, on previous batteries (without any built in in life monitor) that I used, I'm able to measure the voltage without any fluctuations in the reading.
Difference is when engine is running the voltage will be above 14V as the alternator is charging the battery.
When engine is not running will be the usual 12.4V to 12.6V.
I cannot imagine how the multimeter reading was when you said fluctuating. That battery indicator is nothing electrical but just chemical reaction I believe.

All I can think of is just the probe and terminal were not in good contact dry.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:31 PM