Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Some Photography Questions

views

TSwong93
post Jan 10 2019, 08:06 PM, updated 6y ago

49 posts

1) How does one select a camera? Like Sony alone releases so many different full frame cameras, how does one decide which is suitable?

a) What are the main key points people look at when picking one from a same series? e.g Sony Full Frame series
b) What are the main feature that have people pick over different brands? Sony, Canon, Nikon

2) I was using Samsung S8 to take pictures all the time before I got my first camera Sony A5100.

I understand that S8 pictures are more saturated than A5100 due to nature of Samsung software, and I can edit RAW pics of A5100 later on for same color as S8, but one thing that I don't understand is:

- Why is it that when shooting on extremely bright day, S8 is able to balance out the foreground and background, showing blue sky as intended and able to see subject clearly the same time, but when using A5100, no matter what settings I set, faster shutter speed(even at max 1/4000), aperture over 5.6+ or even maximum, ISO 100, it still will be either a blown up background if I focus on subject (white sky instead of blue) or if I focus on background, blown up subject (totally black) and good background.

I tried to lower the exposure, but that will just make the whole thing darker instead of specific spot.

How should I go about this? rclxub.gif

Thanks!
Star_knight79
post Jan 10 2019, 08:12 PM

On my way
596 posts

Wow, long story to explain.

Basically in S8, HDR setting let the software do the algorithm. The photo you see is the result of the processing.

Where else, for dSLR you need to take photos of different exposure and photo editing then only can get the result of HDR. It is better this way rather then you let the S8 preset algorithm to do the task for you, provided that you are expect lah
goldfries
post Jan 10 2019, 10:48 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(wong93 @ Jan 10 2019, 08:06 PM)
1) How does one select a camera? Like Sony alone releases so many different full frame cameras, how does one decide which is suitable?

a) What are the main key points people look at when picking one from a same series? e.g Sony Full Frame series
b) What are the main feature that have people pick over different brands? Sony, Canon, Nikon
Look at your budget vs what you intend to shoot vs features on the camera.

You give me any model also I can use to get the job done.

I've personally used Canon (build my career with it), Nikon (furthered my career with it) and Sony (it comes along here and there, I do get to use it for various works).

The feel (of holding) the device, the interface and even the available lenses will affect your decision making.

2) I was using Samsung S8 to take pictures all the time before I got my first camera Sony A5100.

I understand that S8 pictures are more saturated than A5100 due to nature of Samsung software, and I can edit RAW pics of A5100 later on for same color as S8, but one thing that I don't understand is:

- Why is it that when shooting on extremely bright day, S8 is able to balance out the foreground and background, showing blue sky as intended and able to see subject clearly the same time, but when using A5100, no matter what settings I set, faster shutter speed(even at max 1/4000), aperture over 5.6+ or even maximum, ISO 100, it still will be either a blown up background if I focus on subject (white sky instead of blue) or if I focus on background, blown up subject (totally black) and good background.

I tried to lower the exposure, but that will just make the whole thing darker instead of specific spot.

How should I go about this?  rclxub.gif

Thanks!
That's S8 vs A5100, I can tell you even the S6 which is super old by now does better than my Nikon D750 for simple shoots.

This is because of the software in the camera, they're THAT GOOD.

TSwong93
post Jan 11 2019, 09:36 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(Star_knight79 @ Jan 10 2019, 08:12 PM)
Wow, long story to explain.

Basically in S8, HDR setting let the software do the algorithm. The photo you see is the result of the processing.

Where else, for dSLR you need to take photos of different exposure and photo editing then only can get the result of HDR. It is better this way rather then you let the S8 preset algorithm to do the task for you, provided that you are expect lah
QUOTE(goldfries @ Jan 10 2019, 10:48 PM)
Look at your budget vs what you intend to shoot vs features on the camera.

You give me any model also I can use to get the job done.

I've personally used Canon (build my career with it), Nikon (furthered my career with it) and Sony (it comes along here and there, I do get to use it for various works).

The feel (of holding) the device, the interface and even the available lenses will affect your decision making.
That's S8 vs A5100, I can tell you even the S6 which is super old by now does better than my Nikon D750 for simple shoots.

This is because of the software in the camera, they're THAT GOOD.
1) So is the only way to achieve good dynamic range like in mobile phone on my A5100 is to take multiple exposure of same picture and merge them in post processing right?
2) Is there any full frame camera or high end APSC camera that is able to do it by default?

goldfries
post Jan 12 2019, 01:18 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(wong93 @ Jan 11 2019, 09:36 PM)
1) So is the only way to achieve good dynamic range like in mobile phone on my A5100 is to take multiple exposure of same picture and merge them in post processing right?
2) Is there any full frame camera or high end APSC camera that is able to do it by default?
You can take multiple exposure or use the HDR feature in your A5100.
fun_feng
post Jan 15 2019, 02:21 PM

One Cat to Rule Them ALL
2,289 posts

QUOTE(wong93 @ Jan 11 2019, 09:36 PM)
No you do not need to take multiple exposure, those are for advance level.. Nowadays you can restore the dark area by 2,3 stops or more just by shooting raw. Or if you are old school like me, u can use GND filter then some minor dodge/burn in post processing

All cameras have HDR option, some just go by a different name. You just need to find how to set them. But if you want a camera that is intuitive, gives great light balance and color right out the box, then u can try fujifilm
OOtaii
post Jan 15 2019, 02:50 PM

On my way
573 posts

For me all dslr/mirrorless in general can do the job well.. only ur budget.
I am only particular when come to lens selection.
KannaSai1
post Jan 16 2019, 11:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,933 posts

How about mobile phone ?
dvlzplayground
post Jan 16 2019, 03:02 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

a) They are key differences in the Sony full frame series targeted for different types of photography.
A7R series = high megapixel, great for landscapes
A7S series = superior low light capability, and great for videos
A9 series = 20 fps shooting, great for sports
A7 series = cheapest

b) Canon and Nikon has a fantastic DSLR lineup, lenses, and accessory and you can easily find 2nd hand items for cheap. Sony mirrorless system is relatively new but growing well. I can't really recommend Canon or Nikon mirrorless for now (nothing special for me) unless you already have a ton of their lenses. I find Fuji the most unique with their controls though but lenses are expensive

How should I go about this?  rclxub.gif

Thanks!
Smartphone cameras have really good software to deal with this kind of stuff. You can achieve the same result with your A5100 but it'll take extra steps. Easiest one is to use a bracketing method to take 3 photos (underexpose, normal expose, overexpose) and the camera will merge into one.
dvlzplayground
post Jan 16 2019, 03:13 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

Double post

This post has been edited by dvlzplayground: Jan 16 2019, 03:13 PM
killer_mistake
post Jan 16 2019, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
178 posts

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Jan 16 2019, 03:13 PM)
Double post
bro, do you work at uzma and report to farah eleese?
cassian948
post Jan 16 2019, 03:29 PM

Enthusiast
889 posts

HDR term mobile photography
Bracketing term DSLR
Casey Joo
post Jan 16 2019, 04:23 PM

Casual
332 posts

Mobile phone nowadays no longer take multiple images to achieve HDR. It push and pull the shadow and highlight (or mostly expose to highlight then push shadow) automatically.

A5100 or most Sony camera has 2 different settings for this, one is the HDR (taking multiple images) and DRO that worked like mobile phone albeit not so intelligently. If you want lots of dynamic range in your JPEG, tweak the DRO level to your liking. Usually leaving it in auto will do the job well but not as aggressive as mobile phone camera.

Or shoot RAW with matrix metering, then push shadows with software's like lightroom.
dvlzplayground
post Jan 16 2019, 06:50 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

QUOTE(killer_mistake @ Jan 16 2019, 03:25 PM)
bro, do you work at uzma and report to farah eleese?
Aik hahaha yes I did work there but just left the company in Oct. I dont report to Farah but I worked with her on a few projects. Nice lady. You know her?

QUOTE(Casey Joo @ Jan 16 2019, 04:23 PM)
A5100 or most Sony camera has 2 different settings for this, one is the HDR (taking multiple images) and DRO that worked like mobile phone albeit not so intelligently. If you want lots of dynamic range in your JPEG, tweak the DRO level to your liking. Usually leaving it in auto will do the job well but not as aggressive as mobile phone camera.
That's true! I forgot about DRO.
killer_mistake
post Jan 16 2019, 08:40 PM

Getting Started
178 posts

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Jan 16 2019, 06:50 PM)
Aik hahaha yes I did work there but just left the company in Oct. I dont report to Farah but I worked with her on a few projects. Nice lady. You know her?
ya I work there as well..from UIS department.
aha.. too bad you already left uzma.. kalau tak boleh chill2 sekali share ideas rolleyes.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:59 PM