Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

senscents
post Jan 10 2019, 12:20 AM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 8 2019, 12:44 PM)
There was a time Century batteries used to last just until the warranty was over, until I found this forum. Sifting through countless posts it's soon apparent that proper care & maintenance is required to maintain the state of health over a longer duration.

Since putting things into practice I've managed to prolong the Century battery to the 4 year mark compared to all previous Century batteries in the past.

The idea of this thread is to collect data to identify batteries that generally last more than 4 years, however having said that I still would want to change battery once it reaches the 4 year mark due to various other reasons.
How do you prolong your battery life. Mind to share your battery maintenance procedure ? Tq
senscents
post Jan 10 2019, 06:10 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 10 2019, 09:54 AM)
That's a very good question that needs a well thought & laid out answer. Will reply you again once I've straightened out my thoughts.

Warning āš ļø I am no battery expert but since I've managed to hit the 4 year mark, now I want to try hitting the 7 year mark for battery lifespan. If that possible, I could increase the replacement battery period from 3 years to 5 years before the battery dies out.
Since you are the few, that can achieve longer battery life of >4 years, Pls do share your maintenance. Thanks
senscents
post Jan 10 2019, 06:32 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(exeon @ Jan 10 2019, 11:03 AM)
Thanks for sharing.
What constitute short distance? 10km, 20km, 30km ?
Mostly i'm driving around 20+km to and back 20+km . Does it consider short distance ?
Battery life app 15-18 months need to change. šŸ¤”
In Malaysia, the weather can consider hot but not as hot as some other countries. Where as the battery life are much longer life span.
senscents
post Jan 11 2019, 03:29 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 11 2019, 11:34 AM)
NO # 2 : MODERATE TEMPERATURE FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

NOTE : Hence I strongly believe & suspect the key word is PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO EXTREME TEMPERATURES which actually reduces its lifespan.

A) INSULATE THE BATTERY .

B) OPEN UP THE BONNET FOR MAXIMUM AERATION & HEAT DISSIPATION -." šŸ˜†

C) DURING DRIVING THE BONNET IS UNLOCK BUT LATCHED POSITON -

D) PARK IN A SHADED AREA
Good advise. Thanks
senscents
post May 6 2020, 08:14 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 25 2020, 09:55 PM)
Bro., the prices are listed on post #769. I understand about the reluctance part. No worries.

I use to go for the cheapest but then I found out that there is a reason why it is cheap. Then I went for better quality batteries which are pricier and there is a reason why they are more expensive and most importantly they are definately worth it. So the saying of cheap no good and good no cheap, still holds true. šŸ˜Š
Sifus It's almost time for me to source a better car batteries. Last change app.14months ago.
Being changing car batteries app 15 -18 months every time without fail. Using Amaron, Century, GS, GP, Hitachi all will be dead around 15-18 months.
How do we define a better quality batteries?
By the CCA, RC, AH or others spec ?
What are the most important of the three?
Thanks

senscents
post Oct 7 2020, 04:19 AM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 7 2020, 01:50 AM)
In an ideal world, technically a higher spec battery would be better since it has more power and because it has more power, the price is higher. I don't think I have come across a larger sized battery going for a lesser price compared to a smaller sized battery of the same brand. If it did, I will start raising questions as something is obviously not correct.

I don't carry Amaron products and neither will I, so I will refrain from making any comments.

As much as I like to recommend the brand that I stand by but it is unfortunate that it is on your list of batteries not making pass the 2 year mark.

Finally I hope that you are in the north like KL area and if you are, would you drive to Mid Valley just so that I could test out the battery and your car's electrical charging system ? You must be thinking why am I obsessed with your battery and car. A good Malay friend of mine was having troubles with his cheap branded battery in his Viva. Upon inspection I found out that his alternator was under-charging by a margin of 0.1V under load that was creating the problem of his battery dying prematurely. Now that's resolved and with his 1st battery from me exceeded his expectations on life span, I am supplying battery not only to his other cars but his relatives as well. He is on my lists of Preferred Client, so when fresh stocks are available he and his family gets them first when their old batteries starts degrading. Besides that I educate them the do's and the don'ts during battery replacement at their homes so that they can minimize the battery's weakness and maximize the battery's strengths to extend their battery life span. Not only will they save money but reduce the pollution into the environment. So don't be surprise later if I asked more questions, its not that I kepo got nothing else to do but want to spy on you. šŸ˜Š
Great if you be able to come by here in KL.

I'm not into any particular brand.
Right now i'm just learning more into the car battery as i'm wondering why some batteries can last >4 years?

Why does everyone and seller that i buy the battery from emphasize on the CCA?
I thought that for colder countries, as here are consider hot. So does the CCA has any relevant on our hot climate?
Ā Ā 
Appreciate on your kind gesture.
Do pm, Thanks.

senscents
post Oct 7 2020, 08:59 PM

Casual
405 posts

Would like to check on my car battery condition. What should i need, a multi tester?
What type and parameter? What would you recommend?
senscents
post Oct 8 2020, 03:16 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 8 2020, 08:04 AM)
could you flip open the positive terminal cover to ensure that there is NO corrosion inside at the positive terminal. If there is corrosion, wire brush it clean and vacuum it at the same time.
No corrosion under the cover on the positive terminal.

As for the red stain, what do you think? Leakage from the battery casing?

QUOTE(Zot @ Oct 8 2020, 10:34 AM)
Last time the batteries come to shops dry with charged plate (some still sell this way). They are supplied with sulfuric acid to be filled in. Once filled the charge is already there although not 100% it is enough to start the car. Need to drive around an hour to get fully charged.

For safety reason, now battery comes in wet and charged to certain degree. Not fully charged. The batteries are expected to be cleared from shelves within 6 months. Otherwise need to be recharged to maintain optimum condition. If lead acid battery is not kept charged, they undergo a process called sulphation which will kill the battery. That is why most workshop do not keep too many stock. Anyway, you are still covered by warranty starting from the purchase date.

Battery can last 5~6 years at least in theory. So, the warranty is normally up to 2 years since manufacturers also do not want to lose money  laugh.gif

Normally battery will have manufactured date but it is normally not made obvious. Otherwise consumer will choose the latest one like Gardenia/Massimo, leaving the later customers with no choice to have to buy older battery (just a bit older). The manufactured date probably in code (but probably many know because too common) like 920 (September 2020) or probably 1420 (week 14 in year 2020).

I would not think too much on old stock. Normally the manufacturer will monitor how fast certain shop run out stock and keep the stock number adequate enough. Probably they will swap the battery with new one and move the older stock to shop that sell faster like the practice in retailing.
I think the car battery's manufacturer are not doing enough to monitor on stock kept by dealer/distributor/seller.
Do they have the authority over every seller to check on them? I don't think so.

As for warranty, why do we get 1year (for a normal standard battery) as compare to others 11/2 - 2 years or more?
Most battery that i've used will KO ~1 1/2 years, as for others, i can just presume it's almost the same.
I do hope that, if the manufacturer have confidant on their product, why not give a longer warranty. Instead just claiming that their battery will last longer.
senscents
post Oct 17 2020, 04:32 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 16 2020, 11:36 AM)
Well you are definately have more guts than me. Once a battery has done its time 3~3.5 years of service, I am ready to retire the old battery for good. No point wanting to find out, at which year of service will a battery explode. Be extremely careful and make it extra cautious too.
Why do you need to retire the battery upon 3 -3.5 years of service life? Even if the battery indicate Good?

As quite a few of peoples here have achieved >4years. Don't know if they have done any re-charing/maintaining of their batteries.

What is the parameters to look out for an older batteries that's going to the end of their life?
senscents
post Nov 15 2020, 07:10 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 06:55 PM)
noted, will ask around for the insulation
i see, alrite, i will be asking them tomorrow, need to find out whats the root problem

thanks for your explanation, if theres anything in not sure i can ask u haha
What type of Century model are you using?
As i'm aware even if it the same brand and model for our country, it's will not be of the same spec from another country like aus.

senscents
post Nov 15 2020, 07:21 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 07:15 PM)
i think it was century marathoner or something, its also din 75 specially for conti cars, but the CCA is lower la
From Century website, i can't find the marathoner for din75.
Could you check out the model when you are free.
senscents
post Nov 15 2020, 08:01 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 07:49 PM)
i think its this one
https://centurybattery.com.my/century-marat...e-free-battery/

not sure if its discontinued now
If it Marathoner than the spec are lower than varta.
It better to go for an equivalent or better spec like Marathoner Max or SDFC if they have the suitable spec.

I'm also changing car battery ~18months and just recently learn that our spec here are quite low compare to other countries.
So i need to go for a better spec battery for a better longer life.
senscents
post Nov 15 2020, 10:05 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 08:28 PM)
i see, previously i used marathoner cos the previous shop say marathoner is more for conti cars and the price also reasonable, didnt know still got marathoner max

you driving conti cars too? currently what batteries you using? can last how long?
yeah i also change every 18 months since i own this car, shortest was 1 year (but that was because i used a century marathoner din66 battery, then i switched to marathoner din88 and i got around 16 months), now current varta is 18 months exactly lol, my previous japanese car the battery can last for 3-4 years
Best to check other countries on theirs recommendations for your car battery, as i find that our spec here are lower than others even with the same brand and model.

I'm driving a Korean make with almost the same life span ~18months even with different brands of car battery.
Learn a lot here especially from TS

Scroll thru various web from Aus to UK, most spec from there are quite high compare to here, so will be waiting for this current battery to KO as it has just pass the 18months.
Now on borrow time because of the current pandemic which restrict us from driving. So maybe will have a few extra (2) months before the battery KO and thanks to Roman Catholic for advising on prolonging the car battery. šŸ˜

senscents
post Aug 16 2021, 09:03 PM

Casual
405 posts

Car - Myvi
Battery Size - NS40ZL
CCA - 265
Type - MF
Duration Use - ~3.5 -4 years
Tested with a normal Voltage tester was at 12.5V - 12.6V.

Since I'm not driving as often during this MCO, probably once a week.

What is the parameters to look out for an older batteries that's going to the end of their life?
senscents
post Aug 16 2021, 10:19 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Aug 16 2021, 09:32 PM)
Hi bro., nice to hear from you again. It has been a while since we last met.

The voltage is still holding up well but some manufacturers are known to add special chemical into the electrolytes to prop up the voltage readings even though the Amp had degraded or even if the battery may have a Bad Cell status and that is very dangerous.

Is it the 1st gen Myvi right ?

However it is best to conduct a Battery Conductance Test like what I did for you and have the print out reading. Perodua Service Center should be able to do this for you. What we want to avoid is having a battery with Bad Cell anytime under the hood.

Anyway things to look out for are :
1. Electrical gremlins during driving like the digital readings goes haywire,
2. Radio cannot operate properly,
3. Lights not as bright as usual,
4. The above are generally the normal stuff which may or may not happen in every car but when the battery struggles to start the car longer than necessary, then it is about time to change the battery cause it rarely lasts more than a week. Continued usage of a weak battery risks damaging the Starter Motor as well.
Ohh Wow.. It's being a long time. Since the start of MCO with so many restrictions.šŸ˜£
Hardly can drive now days.

Yes, it's a Myvi 1.3 and it's out of warranty long ago, so going to Perodua SC will be out out the equation.
Maybe will buy a electronic Battery Tester for the Battery Conductance Test.
Any recommendation on what are needed like SOC, SOH, CCA, Voltage, etc, etc

As for your things to look out for are :
1. Didn't notice any Electrical gremlins lurking around. šŸ˜‚
2. Radio working fine
3. Lights didn't notice any dimmer or maybe it's quite old and not as bright as when it's new.
4. Starting the car as per normal with 2or 3 cranks.

How weak is the CCA, Voltage, or any other parameters?
senscents
post Aug 17 2021, 03:32 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Aug 17 2021, 08:36 AM)
sorry, miss view how long is that battery life, for me, capped it around 3 - 3.5 years max before letting it go for a brand new one.
Yeah, I know it's time to change but with the current situation and only driving maybe ~ once every two weeks and at most once a week for the past 18 months.šŸ¤”

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Aug 17 2021, 08:48 AM)
Yes agree. Capping it at 3-3.5 years is the safest thing to do, otherwise the risk of explosion increases relatively and that's a 50% chance of that happening everytime but that is for vehicles that are used heavily.

However for rarely used vehicle, as long it is charge up properly on a regular basis, technically it should last longer than 3-3.5 years however that would be dependant on the health of the battery.

That is why Battery Conductance has to be done on an even higher frequency as the battery gets older.
Opss. The CCA mention was the New Battery rated 265 CCA.
Will be buying an electronic Battery Tester to check on the condition of my ~3.5 - 4 years old battery.
Till then, will up date the result here. Thanks.
senscents
post Aug 17 2021, 09:29 PM

Casual
405 posts

Anyone using a charger to charge your car battery? Would appreciate your advise/knowledge on this matter.

Do you test your battery before charging?

How/When do we determine if the Battery need to charge?

What is the parameters to look out for before and after charging? CCA, Voltage, or any other parameters.

Please do advise. Thanks
senscents
post Aug 19 2021, 04:49 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Aug 18 2021, 12:06 PM)

Thank you for your input. Will keep an eye on the voltage.

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Aug 18 2021, 02:15 PM)

Will need to wait for my battery tester for further discussion.
senscents
post Aug 22 2021, 03:35 PM

Casual
405 posts

Car - Myvi
Battery Size - NS40ZL
Rated CCA - 265
Type - MF
Duration Use - ~3.5 -4 years
Tested with a normal Voltage tester was at 12.5V - 12.6V.

Tested with Electronic Tester
SOH : 17%
SOC : 98%
R : 27.13 mĪ©
CCA : 110
Voltage : 12.7
Stated : REPLACE
senscents
post Aug 22 2021, 06:05 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Aug 22 2021, 03:46 PM)
It doesn't look good and I predict that it will die within 2 months time and 2 months is really really pushing it already under normal usage. I do not know if your tester has a Bad Cell display, if it doesn't quickly change out the battery. If it has, you can still hold on to the battery.

The thing is this, not all battery degrades to a Bad Cell status. Some batteries will fail at the Replace status, whereas some batteries will fail at the Bad Cell status.

The downside to waiting until the battery eventually fails is that you are stressing other electrical components out and that increases the wear & tear and eventually a more expensive repair bill.
Yeah, with the SOH @ 17% don't look good. Not expecting a good result anyway as it being used for ~3.5 - 4 years.

Wondering on the SOC @ 98% very high still holding on after using it for so long. šŸ¤”

Will be changing the battery as soon as i'm driving more frequently, until then will leave as it with this unstable situation.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1007sec    0.61    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:53 PM