Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

evilhomura89
post Dec 21 2020, 08:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,608 posts

For those who are considering between Bosch C7 vs CTEK, there's a 6 years old post on a russian car sites - https://www.drive2.ru/l/2865653/
Read it with google translate turned on

It was mentioned that Bosch doesn't fully charge the batteries.
Based on my understanding on what was being translated, he used Bosch C7 to charge his battery, when Bosch C7 went into trickle charge mode (indicating battery is well charged), he then proceed to connect the battery to CTEK charger. The CTEK charger indicated that the charge on the battery is no more than 80% and continue charging process.

What's your opinion on this? Bosch is trying to play safe?

Meanwhile, I suspect my Bosch C7 Mode button microswitch is not working anymore. Currently stuck in mode 1 only, it'll charge just fine. Just that nothing happens when I press the Mode button, meaning i can't change the mode anymore. Similar issue on C3 reported as well.
There's a guide on how to fix it but will need soldering skill - https://www.instructables.com/Repair-Your-B...attery-Charger/

This post has been edited by evilhomura89: Dec 21 2020, 08:59 PM
evilhomura89
post Dec 22 2020, 11:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,608 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Dec 22 2020, 02:10 AM)
Interesting points that you had brought up.

I am don't think I am qualified to give my opinion on Bosch chargers especially when I don't use Bosch chargers at all. However based on what you had described, a CTEK charger is better than a Bosch charger in terms of reaching 100% fully charged. I wonder if the guy who did the test actually tested out the result after the CTEK charger was used ?

Different companies would have different algorithims imputed into their computations and such parameters whether its a 70% or 80% or even higher figure of being fully charged would be dependant on the companies appetite for risk, I reckon.

You must be a gifted person to work on a charger. Hats of to you. As for me, if anything fails within the Warranty Period, I will just claim for warranty. My problem is not that I am unable to open things up but its the fixing back up things that I have serious problems in remembering which is which.

For me once its past its warranty period especially with such chargers, its best I get them replaced. While it may costs me a couple of hundred of bucks for a new charger replacement, it is still far better against damages incurred costing thousands of bucks from an exploded battery inside the car while on an out-of-warranty charger.

Finally although I have not read the link to the test done, I wonder if the Bosch charger reported was under warranty or out-of warranty already. Ought to be a good read nevertheless and TQVM. 😊
I plan to get a CTEK as a replacement in the near future.
The bosch is still working as it is, charging at 14.4V standard mode. It just wouldn't switch to AGM charging mode or other mode available.

For me, if I ever plan to open it up after getting a new replacement, it'll just be a learning experience.
Since it's already out of warranty anyway, no harm opening it up just to learn something before discarding it haha.
evilhomura89
post Dec 22 2020, 01:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,608 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Dec 22 2020, 11:57 AM)
Emm... I am in a SUV whatsapp group where we have members with Ctek and also Bosch C7. 

Those members with Ctek they bought the charger in 2018, some months to a year after they own the diesel SUV.  Most have to replace their AGM batteries in less than 2 years since new.  That may be due to the fact that they bought the charger halfway thru the ownership of the car.

I have my Bosch C7 prior to owning the diesel SUV.  My existing battery running "okish" after 2 years 4 months now, my humble target is 3 years.

So the russian post on C7 charge at diff level does not matter so much I supposed.  So long as it's regularly charged.
Ya, you're right on the charge level - as long as it's charged regularly, it should be fine.
BTW, can you help me ask if any of the Bosch C7 owners experienced the faulty mode button issue? I presume yours is still working fine.

evilhomura89
post Apr 5 2021, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,608 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 30 2021, 04:22 PM)
even for regular lead acid, the voltage level didn't reach the mark....

i do monthly charging to compensate the lack of charging with engine running.....does itΒ  mean my battery charger rosak? I'm using a ctek mxs 5.0
all lead acid battery susceptible to heat....actually some newer mercedes have their battery in engine bay now...
Was doing a bit of research on battery chargers recently and stumbled upon this youtube channel doing a 1 hour detailed teardown of the CTEK MXS 5.0

The conclusion given was CTEK is "An expensive piece of very cheap hardware design".
After watching it, my personal opinion of CTEK just went down the drain. So, it's basically just all marketing that made it look real good.

What do you guys think?

This post has been edited by evilhomura89: Apr 5 2021, 08:19 PM
evilhomura89
post May 6 2021, 08:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,608 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 5 2021, 01:05 AM)
Century. 😊

Actually when I started this thread, I was about to switch from Century to other brands because of 1 bad experience. Although my family and I had been using Century for years and I was already recommending Century to my friends indirectly but because of that experience I was on the verge of changing brand already.

While on my trip to KL to look for new a battery brand, I received a call from Century HQ (I was surprised actually, macam la he knew I was about to change brand) and I had to opportunity to meet the caller, a very nice Malay gentleman who resolved the problem beyond my expectations. In a strange twist of fate, I ended joining Century, instead of wanting to leave Century brand. I am the 2nd generation of Century loyal customer in my family and now I am teaching my God-daughter to be the 3rd generation of Century loyal customer too.

If it wasn't for that call from Century HQ, entah la which battery brand I might be using now.
Can you enlighten me on the following as a battery seller?
1 - When the batteries come from the factory, are they fully charged or partially charged?
2 - Is there a minimum state of charge to be maintained from the seller side eg, using charger to top up before installation?

Just wondering as I personally encountered new batteries requiring a longer time to charge using external charger (Ctek/Bosch/Noco) for the first time (probably due to low SoC).
If the new battery came with low SOC, wouldn't it be detrimental to battery service life if used in car that is only used for frequent short trip? I would assume the car alternator wouldn't have sufficient time to fully charge the new battery at all.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0665sec    0.92    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th May 2021 - 08:58 PM